Gaming Building a gaming PC

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Guilty :(

Built a new rig end of last year in anticipation for Cyberpunk 2077's initial planned release in April. Went balls deep and opted for a 2080ti. Cyberpunk gets delayed until November this year, and then nVidia announces the 3xxx series. FML.
If i were you i'd sell it asap! Not many people are aware of the 3000 series yet since its not actually been released.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If i were you i'd sell it asap! Not many people are aware of the 3000 series yet since its not actually been released.
I second this. Reviews are coming in few days and I’d dump that card as quickly as possible. Or I’d just keep it indefinitely as a stand in, when you’ll need to inevitably sell the 3000 series before it loses value.

Paxi

The fecking size of that :lol:

Bojan11

@MaxiPaxi

benchmarks for 3080 from resetera

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1m5411b7NG

Max settings for all of these

Forza Horizon 4 - 4K at 150FPS
Far Cry 5 - 4K at 100FPS
Borderlands 3 - 4K at 61FPS
Horizon Zero Dawn: 4K at 76FPS
Assassin's Creed Odyssey: 4K at 67FPS

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
RTX with DLSS ON - 100FPS at 4K
RTX with DLSS OFF - 84FPS at Native 4K

Control:
RTX with DLSS ON - 100FPS at 4K
RTX with DLSS OFF- 50-60FPS at Native 4K

Death Stranding:
DLSS ON - 160-170FPS at 4K
DLSS OFF - 100FPS at Native 4K

and the 3DMark benchmarks just for fun

3DMark Fire Strike - 32000
3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 20000
3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 12000

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have a GTX 980 in my rig - last upgraded around 4 years ago and will probably be another 2 years before I upgrade again (unless I suddenly come into some cash!) - the 980 was a very solid card and has served me well and is still capable of running new games though obviously not at the highest settings. Crazy to see them still being sold on E-Bay for around £150 or so - who is buying them at that price?

Bojan11

I have a GTX 980 in my rig - last upgraded around 4 years ago and will probably be another 2 years before I upgrade again (unless I suddenly come into some cash!) - the 980 was a very solid card and has served me well and is still capable of running new games though obviously not at the highest settings. Crazy to see them still being sold on E-Bay for around £150 or so - who is buying them at that price?
People who are into bitcoin mining maybe?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People who are into bitcoin mining maybe?
Would they still be useful for mining bitcoin at this stage? I honestly don't know. It's good to know that I might still be able to sell it on in a year or two for some cash.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Still got my 1050 Ti which was an upgrade on an HD7850 combined with an FX8350 (upgraded from a 4130). Sporadically think about building a new PC here and there but never get round to it.

Just been looking again, a 1660 Super seems about my price point for a GPU although I can't say I've done much research. Any big reason not to get one of those if I finally took the plunge and built a new machine?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Still got my 1050 Ti which was an upgrade on an HD7850 combined with an FX8350 (upgraded from a 4130). Sporadically think about building a new PC here and there but never get round to it.

Just been looking again, a 1660 Super seems about my price point for a GPU although I can't say I've done much research. Any big reason not to get one of those if I finally took the plunge and built a new machine?
Great card for 1080p gaming but I'd wait for the 3000 series to come out as you could then get something like the 2060 Super for the same price, most likely.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Great card for 1080p gaming but I'd wait for the 3000 series to come out as you could then get something like the 2060 Super for the same price, most likely.
Cheers, sounds like a plan and even if sticking with 1660 Super I imagine that would come down too.

Will keep an eye out to see what happens and in the meantime pick out a CPU/motherboard.

Paxi

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
See I am tempted to wait and see what these AMD GPUs are like, but in reality, they're not getting near the 3080 are they.

I'm watercooling this build I'm doing :lol:
Never do it before, so it'll be an interesting and potentially costly mistake :nervous:

Paxi

See I am tempted to wait and see what these AMD GPUs are like, but in reality, they're not getting near the 3080 are they.

Never do it before, so it'll be an interesting and potentially costly mistake :nervous:
Think big navi will be somewhere between 3070 and 3080 and will cost probably the same as 3070. That would be my guess.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'll consider it but not for a year or two and who knows by then there could be better options at similar price point to now.
Sounds like you're in a somewhat similar place to me as I've currently got a 980ti after stepping back from gaming and rendering some years back and not bothering with it up to the point my current card is starting to struggle and show obvious signs it needs upgrading. Has served me well, but trying to watch 4k films and use it as a dual screen, etc, it's at the point of not really being able to keep up.

It seems like the 3000 series is the one that'll withstand at least 3yrs before possibly being completely usurped, so it's time to jump back in. I want to get a Ti, though as hate the idea of getting one of these cards as they come out and then seeing it relegated a few months down the road.

3090 looks tasty but the 3080 represents great price to performance ratio.

Paxi

To add to last reply. They’re going off a leaked picture that shows a 256 bit bus which isn’t going to touch 3080. So looks like it’s going to be 3070 competitor.

Paxi

What you going for mate? 3090 I take it? I’d go for it, I’ve got the money but I’m thinking there won’t be enough resale value in it by the time next GPU’s come out. I don’t have money coming out of my ass unfortunately. Plus I may keep 3080 FE indefinitely as stand in card for future.

Bojan11

What you going for mate? 3090 I take it? I’d go for it, I’ve got the money but I’m thinking there won’t be enough resale value in it by the time next GPU’s come out. I don’t have money coming out of my ass unfortunately. Plus I may keep 3080 FE indefinitely as stand in card for future.
Waiting till Cyberpunk is out. I’d probably have upgraded by time they release the first patch. Not sure yet as 3080 is looking impressive. But want to see how the 3090 is.

I will get my hands on one definitely in the next few months. Not going to rush out and preorder as these things sell out pretty fast.

Paxi

Waiting till Cyberpunk is out. I’d probably have upgraded by time they release the first patch. Not sure yet as 3080 is looking impressive. But want to see how the 3090 is.

I will get my hands on one definitely in the next few months. Not going to rush out and preorder as these things sell out pretty fast.
I’m hoping to get on next Thursday directly from Nvidia. That’ll do me 60fps with good 1% lows on Gsync tv. I’ll take that.

Bojan11

SoftBank Group Corp. is nearing a deal to sell British chip designer Arm Holdings to Nvidia Corp. for more than $40 billion, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest in a series of big asset sales by the Japanese technology conglomerate.

The cash-and-stock deal being discussed would value Arm in the low $40 billions, the people said. The terms under discussion would mark a big win for SoftBank, which bought Arm four years ago for $32 billion and had struggled to jump-start growth in the business.

Arm and Nvidia have been in exclusive talks for several weeks and a deal could be sealed early next week, the people said — assuming it’s not derailed at the last minute.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/softba...o-nvidia-for-more-than-40-billion-11599928360

Skeezix

The 3080 reviews are finally out eh? What a beast of a graphics card.

I've watched the reviews by Dave Lee and Hardware Unboxed. It seems like it just doesn't work on 600W psu and 650W would be too stressed. Not surprising though considering how powerful it is.

Paxi

Going for the FE card. The cooling solution seems decent.

Paxi

Same. Hoping the Nvidia site doesn't immediately crash though :nervous:
I’m going Nvidia, overclockers, scan, Currys, and amazon in that order. Hopefully I’ll be able to nab one. Good luck.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Feels like a big jump forward in terms of ray tracing and 4k graphics. Really exciting.

littlepeasoup

I’m going Nvidia, overclockers, scan, Currys, and amazon in that order. Hopefully I’ll be able to nab one. Good luck.
Nvidia, overclockers, scan, aria, and then amazon. Multiple computers, multiple tabs.

I'm going to be in ray-tracing nirvana this time next week, mark my words. Also, good luck!