Gaming Building a gaming PC

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
1440p so there's already excess performance in many games. It's the ray-traced games where it starts pulling its weight at that res.
Oh that’s good then. At 1440p it’s definitely more than enough.

Bojan11

Oh that’s good then. At 1440p it’s definitely more than enough.
When the 3080 back in stock?

Also be careful with GAME. As you in NI, they’d probably charge you more for delivery. They charging £9.99 delivery to anybody who orders a new console from them.

Paxi

When the 3080 back in stock?

Also be careful with GAME. As you in NI, they’d probably charge you more for delivery. They charging £9.99 delivery to anybody who orders a new console from them.
Yeah I will. They always charged me the cheapest for delivery (apart from amazon) so I’m not particularly bothered. ShopTo is like £20 quid, hence I never shop at shopto.

Edit: oh and I’ve no idea about 3080’s. I’m sure we will all hear about it. I’m expecting to hear about it in here to be honest.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Wait for Ryzen 7 4700x or even the Ryzen 5 4600x, its being announced on 5th october. Ive read that rtx 3000 series require a beefier psu than usual.

I prefer air cooling, most of the times its better at cooling. The only downside could be noise, on the flip side a water cooler has more parts and that means more chances of something malfunctioning.

For fps gaming go for a 24" 1080p 144/240hz ips monitor or if you want to future proof then 27" 1440p 144hz ips monitor.
My usual vendor said he wasn't getting the next gen Ryzen cards till late December, and I don't usually go to anyone else or order online because I lose on site customer service. I think 3700x is powerful enough anyway for my requirements, doubt I'll be overclocking it for a year or two either.

I've also decided to hold off on the cooling and want to give the stock Wraith Prism a go first.

As for display, I wanted to stay future proof, yep. I'm going for Acer XV272U. 27 inch, 2k, 144Hz, 5ms, GSync, HDR.

That'll be OK for the 3070 but a PSU is the sort of thing that can last you 10+ years so for sake of £50 I'd go for around 850W. That'll take you to the RTX 4 series in a few years at a minimum. The 3080 has a suggested 750W already.
Yeah, I checked the suggested PSU today. Shifted to a 750W Gold Modular immediately.

Bojan11

@Bojan11 are you going to get the 3090ti, or is this card you done for this gen?
Done for 2 years and then the cycle will continue.

Scan have taken payment and given me estimate delivery for tomorrow. But parcel has not been picked up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Done for 2 years and then the cycle will continue.

Scan have taken payment and given me estimate delivery for tomorrow. But parcel has not been picked up.
Sounds painless compared to the 3080 shitshow. If it comes tomorrow you going to run some benchmarks and post them here? :angel:

Knowing my ultimate aim is the ti, I couldn't justify getting the '90 now.

Bojan11

Sounds painless compared to the 3080 shitshow. If it comes tomorrow you going to run some benchmarks and post them here? :angel:

Knowing my ultimate aim is the ti, I couldn't justify getting the '90 now.
I am going to sort it out over the next week. Will definitely post some benchmarks for anyone interested in getting one.

Going to first take some pictures and see how massive it is compared to my current card.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I am going to sort it out over the next week. Will definitely post some benchmarks for anyone interested in getting one.

Going to first take some pictures and see how massive it is compared to my current card.
Looking forward to it!

Bojan11

Got delay notification from Scans. Typical.

Saying it’s ETA now.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Using this thread since it was already being discussed here:

1) When is the rtx series being released? Like how soon can I buy the rtx 3080?

2) When are the AMD Ryzen CPUs being announced/released?

I'm most probably going for the rtx 3080.

Bojan11

I blame you @MaxiPaxi for saying this would be easier. There’s probably like 3 in stock. Will be waiting as long as it comes before Cyberpunk then I am happy. It should do because the original date they gave me was 29th September.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And I was coming in here to declare a triumphant hypothesis! -_-

Turns out Nvidia can screw up at every price point and leave everyone with blue balls.

ArjenIsM3

Using this thread since it was already being discussed here:

1) When is the rtx series being released? Like how soon can I buy the rtx 3080?

2) When are the AMD Ryzen CPUs being announced/released?

I'm most probably going for the rtx 3080.
The RTX3000 series has already been released but there's a shortage of supply. It will probably take months for stock levels to normalize.

The new AMD stuff will be released next month but we don't know if they'll be available to buy then too or if it's just the official announcement and release at a later date.

Bojan11

And I was coming in here to declare a triumphant hypothesis.

Turns out Nvidia can screw up at every price point and leave everyone with blue balls.
Scan are ridiculous too. Sending me emails at 11pm to say it’s ETA. They removed the preorder option, so I’m hoping I was lucky to get in the first batch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Scan are ridiculous too. Sending me emails at 11pm to say it’s ETA. They removed the preorder option, so I’m hoping I was lucky to get in the first batch.
It's ridiculous, really. Just leaves you wondering what they're playing at.

Paxi

I blame you @MaxiPaxi for saying this would be easier. There’s probably like 3 in stock. Will be waiting as long as it comes before Cyberpunk then I am happy. It should do because the original date they gave me was 29th September.
Sorry dude. :(

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
If I don’t get ps5 tonight I’ll order the 3090 at some point and wait until the dust settles with the PS5’s. Also, if they don’t have enchantments for last gen exclusives, I may just wait until some decent exclusives come out before getting one.
This was my conclusion, I got caught up in the PS5 hype and tried to pre-order but didn't manage it, now wondering whether I even want one straight away when there are only going to be a handfull of games.

Question is, is it a good time to build a new gaming PC when a new console gen is about to come out? For me the visuals and games have to be better on PC than the current console gen to make it worth the extra money, but won't that be quite expensive to achieve at the moment to beat the PS5 and new Xbox?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
This was my conclusion, I got caught up in the PS5 hype and tried to pre-order but didn't manage it, now wondering whether I even want one straight away when there are only going to be a handfull of games.

Question is, is it a good time to build a new gaming PC when a new console gen is about to come out? For me the visuals and games have to be better on PC than the current console gen to make it worth the extra money, but won't that be quite expensive to achieve at the moment to beat the PS5 and new Xbox?
Depends really.

Consoles are set in stone. So most of their graphic settings will probably be low and mediums with a lot of games hitting between 30 and 60fps.
You pay more for a top end PC for sure, but you'll hit High and ultra graphic settings, better frame rates and just an all round smoother experience

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Depends really.

Consoles are set in stone. So most of their graphic settings will probably be low and mediums with a lot of games hitting between 30 and 60fps.
You pay more for a top end PC for sure, but you'll hit High and ultra graphic settings, better frame rates and just an all round smoother experience
Them being set in stone is why I thought about waiting for the next set of graphics cards to come out, so at least there is some improvement, but in hindsight I guess the PS5 specs have been finalised behind closed doors for some time now so recent cards could already be better. I just don't want to spend >£1000 on a PC when I could have got the same in-game experience on a £500 console.

I always used to be PC gamer, but kind of got fed up with it and bought a PS4 a couple years ago and have barely touched my PC since, hence my trepidation to invest in another. But I do miss it for first person and strategy games.

Bojan11

Any update? Scan are saying 2nd October they should give update regarding my order. But I doubt I will get it then.

OleBoiii

OK, you bastards have inspired me!

I'm basically a first time builder(the last time was 15 years ago, and I mostly just watched), so bear with me. I've picked out 6 out of 7 essential components, but I'm struggling with deciding on a motherboard. A few things to consider:

1. Must be compatible with the components listed below.
2. Must have 4 slots for RAM and support 64gb(in case I ever feel like upgrading from 32gb).
3. Must have WIFI and Bluetooth! This is extremely important to me!
4. Shouldn't cost much more than 200 USD. If there are no good motherboards in this price range, then I may be able to stretch as far as 250 USD.
5. Should probably be an ATX-board, as I've been told that it's easier to work with for beginners. If this is bullshit, then ignore this point.
6. The less noise the better, though this is probably the least important point on this list.

My planned components(feel free to comment if I need a better power supply for instance):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT TD
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2400MHz DDR4(2 x 16 GB)
PSU: Corsair RM850x, 850W PSU
Case: NZXT H510 Black

Last edited:

OleBoiii

You need a higher frequency ram with AMD. At least 3200mhz. I’d recommend 3600mhz with tight timings. Also I’d wait until new AMD ryzen CPUs and GPUs are out. I’d get nvme m2 sabrent rocket as well. Oh you don’t need 850 watt PSU. 650 will be plenty.

This one mobo to consider:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...r4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html?gclid=
Thanks, mate! That motherboard seems good!

I need to make my purchases in the next couple of weeks in order to get good discounts through my workplace, so I can't wait much longer. I wasn't able to find the exact SSD in the stores that I'm allowed to use, but I guess I found something similar. I've updated my SSD and RAM with new links below. What do you think?

As for the PSU: is there a downside to having more watt? The 650W version of the same PSU is just 20 dollars cheaper. I read somewhere that you should always aim for twice as much watt as your estimated needs. I.e: if your components require 400 watt, then go for a 800 watt PSU.

SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz 32GB(2x 16 GB)

Paxi

I need to make my purchases in the next couple of weeks in order to get good discounts through my workplace, so I can't wait much longer. I wasn't able to find the exact SSD in the stores that I'm allowed to use, but I guess I found something similar. I've updated my SSD and RAM with new links below. What do you think?

As for the PSU: is there a downside to having more watt? The 650W version of the same PSU is just 20 dollars cheaper. I read somewhere that you should always aim for twice as much watt as your estimated needs. I.e: if your components require 400 watt, then go for a 800 watt PSU.

Why do you need 32 gb for ram? 16gb for ram is going to be plenty good for gaming at least. Then we will be seeing ddr5 but it won’t be compatible with the motherboard and cpu obviously.

What is you main goal for this rig? Is it to play games or mixture of productivity. It’s hard to say exactly what you need when I don’t know the potential upgrade path, if any that you need to take in the future.

You need wattage overhead but not twice as much. If you have a 80 gold certificated PSU then 650 is going to be absolutely spot on. You can still run 10900k and 3080 on good 650 watt cpu so running your system will be a breeze. If you want to spend 20 more dollars then fine but you could put that elsewhere. Again it all depends on what you want to use the system for. You can’t go wrong with 3600 but sometimes you can pick 3600x for only 10 dollars more or 3300x for 70 dollars less which will give you a fairly similar gaming performance. So if it’s just gaming pc that you’re looking I’d certainly recommend spending a bit less on your cpu, ram and PSU. You could potentially have another €200 to play with in finding a gpu and that will be ultimately the biggest difference that you’ll notice in terms of performance.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Why do you need 32 gb for ram? 16gb for ram is going to be plenty good for gaming at least.
I'm a programmer so RAM is my jam(pun intended). Granted I do most of the work from my work computer, but it's nice to be able to do some work on my home computer as well.

What is you main goal for this rig? Is it to play games or mixture of productivity. It’s hard to say exactly what you need when I don’t know the potential upgrade path, if any that you need to take in the future.
Honestly, it's a mixture. I was initially thinking about just buying a new laptop as I have been using that for the last 10(+) years, but I like the idea of gradually changing components and building stuff myself. I'm not gonna play the heaviest games on the heaviest settings, but I am gonna play some games. If anything is "overkill" with my planned rig, then it's probably the CPU and GPU. But at the same time, I don't plan on changing components for maybe 5 years or more, so I might as well spend 100-200 USD extra now.

Does my planned rig look OK now, besides the RAM and PSU maybe being overkill?

Adamsk7

My build is ready other than the processor and GPU. I’ve been waiting for AMD to release their hardware updates but they are being decidedly slow. Also waiting on news of a 3060. Think I’ll finally be able to buy the parts November time

Paxi

I'm a programmer so RAM is my jam(pun intended). Granted I do most of the work from my work computer, but it's nice to be able to do some work on my home computer as well.

Honestly, it's a mixture. I was initially thinking about just buying a new laptop as I have been using that for the last 10(+) years, but I like the idea of gradually changing components and building stuff myself. I'm not gonna play the heaviest games on the heaviest settings, but I am gonna play some games. If anything is "overkill" with my planned rig, then it's probably the CPU and GPU. But at the same time, I don't plan on changing components for maybe 5 years or more, so I might as well spend 100-200 USD extra now.

Does my planned rig look OK now, besides the RAM and PSU maybe being overkill?
Well if it’s a workstation then okay. I’d be more useful in just telling you which components to buy for gaming. I don’t know how many GB you need, to do programming — I’ve no idea, sorry. But you’re only going to bottlenecked by literally 2-3 games of using 16gb of ram for games - I know that for certain.

I know higher frequency ram with low cas latency and tight timings works very well with AMD. So I’d get the best available if that’s something that it’s going to be important.

If you’re not going to run many games at ultra I’d get a cheaper GPU and get a better CPU with 8 cores like 3700x which is around $100 more.

This is what I would build as a relatively inexpensive workstation. With the nvme m2 gen 4 you’d be getting twice the read and write speeds that you’d be getting on Kensington.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pw4jjp

Paxi

My build is ready other than the processor and GPU. I’ve been waiting for AMD to release their hardware updates but they are being decidedly slow. Also waiting on news of a 3060. Think I’ll finally be able to buy the parts November time
Id wait until early next year if you can. The stock will normalise and you’ll be able to make an informed decision into which cpu and gpu you want to buy. 3060 hasn’t even been announced yet so you’re definitely not getting one in November. I’m not sure about AMD CPU’s. You’ll probably be fine getting those. Depending if you mobo supports zen 3.

ArjenIsM3

Honestly mate you should wait untill the end of next week. I think it's the 8th of October or something. AMD are releasing their next generation CPUs.

Adamsk7

Id wait until early next year if you can. The stock will normalise and you’ll be able to make an informed decision into which cpu and gpu you want to buy. 3060 hasn’t even been announced yet so you’re definitely not getting one in November. I’m not sure about AMD CPU’s. You’ll probably be fine getting those. Depending if you mobo supports zen 3.
Yeah I’ve got a B550 waiting for it so it will. I probably can’t wait until next year so will have to pick something up by December at the latest

Paxi

Honestly mate you should wait untill the end of next week. I think it's the 8th of October or something. AMD are releasing their next generation CPUs.
Apparently he has to have it build in the next couple of weeks. I’d say you’d be cutting it tight to get your hands on zen 3 chips in that time frame. The unveiling of the CPU’s is next Thursday and I expect them to go on sale a week later at the earliest.

Paxi

Yeah I’ve got a B550 waiting for it so it will. I probably can’t wait until next year so will have to pick something up by December at the latest
So with zen 3 it’ll be in the next month. Then I’d wait to see what the stock is like for GPU’s. You could potentially pick something up from AMD that’s going to be better than 3070 but cost around 3060. So on the cpu front I’d definitely do my research and leave it as late as possible before making a purchasing decision, unless of course you know exactly what you want.