Gaming Building a gaming PC

Balljy

The cables are alligned in a way that that makes it easy to see where they should go into the motherboard. Since I've already used the method to the left, I think I can "predict" which pins they belong to.

Aha, so:

HDD LED: what makes the button flash.
P LED + and - : what makes the button light work.
POWER SW: what makes the itself button work.

So I can conclude that the only thing I need is actually the POWER SW connector?
Theoretically yeah. If you don't want any lights at all that would do the trick. If you just want to stop the flashing, you can just disconnect the HDD LED one.

OleBoiii

Disconnecting the HDD LED worked wonders. It only took me 3 tries :lol:

The USB connector also worked, as it is backwards compatible.

Did some cable management while I was in there, so it looks nicer now. My GPU seems to be stuck to the motherboard somehow. I didn't dare to use more strength though, so I might be wrong. I'm probably not gonna upgrade for 5 years or so, so I'll deal with it then :lol:

Bojan11

Absolute shambles. November, perhaps end of, which probably, actually means December, for a card that was released (supposedly) in September!

I joked with a mate that I'll get my card after the PS5... little did I know I was actually documenting the future!

I cannot believe how poorly handled this has been.

Where are you in the queue Bojan?

Thought the 3090 would be slightly easier.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Disconnecting the HDD LED worked wonders. It only took me 3 tries :lol:

The USB connector also worked, as it is backwards compatible.

Did some cable management while I was in there, so it looks nicer now. My GPU seems to be stuck to the motherboard somehow. I didn't dare to use more strength though, so I might be wrong. I'm probably not gonna upgrade for 5 years or so, so I'll deal with it then :lol:
You should hear a click with the gpu and if you used the stand-offs properly between the motherboard and the case, then you should be able to put good amount of pressure without cracking the pcb or anything like that.

OleBoiii

You should hear a click with the gpu and if you used the stand-offs properly between the motherboard and the case, then you should be able to put good amount of pressure without cracking the pcb or anything like that.
It actually seemed to be stuck to the motherboard itself, somehow. Not on the side where you plug in hdmi etc, but the other side, near the center of the board. The "chips" seemed to go out just fine, so it's hard to tell what the issue was.

I'll deal with it when I need a new GPU(this is probably the last component I'll feel the need to change). Worst case scenario: I wreck the motherboard upon changing it :lol:

Btw, the wifi connection on this motherboard is amazing!

OleBoiii

Hmm, I took another look inside my computer. One of the fans on the motherboard is not spinning. Does this mean that I made a mistake along the way? What is this fan for? Is it necessary? I've added a picture again.

All other fans are working as they should(CPU, GPU and the two fans that came pre-installed in the case).

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Hmm, I took another look inside my computer. One of the fans on the motherboard is not spinning. Does this mean that I made a mistake along the way? What is this fan for? Is it necessary? I've added a picture again.

All other fans are working as they should(CPU, GPU and the two fans that came pre-installed in the case).
It will probably start spinning after it reaches a certain temperature. Maybe 60-70c.

I'm sure you can modify that fan's default settings in the BIOS.

OleBoiii

It will probably start spinning after it reaches a certain temperature. Maybe 60-70c.

I'm sure you can modify that fan's default settings in the BIOS.
Ah, that makes sense. I haven't tested my components properly or done any overclocking.

Speaking of fans, there seems to be a weird "pattern" as far as noise goes. My PC makes very little sound but it fairly regularly seems throttle for about 5-10 seconds before returning to normal. This happens even if I don't run any heavy applications. It's not like the throttling makes a lot of noise, but the sound is kind of deep so I can hear it even when I'm wearing my headset.

I reckon this is something I can change in BIOS as well, though I'm not sure where to start. I goes running a monitoring tool to see exactly which fans throttle every minute is a good place to start.

Bojan11

NVIDIA has revised the plans for the upcoming RTX 30 series ‘refresh’. If you were planning (or trying) to buy a high-end GPU, then you should definitely wait for December. Our sources are confident that NVIDIA will launch two SKUs: 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB in that month.

The plans to launch 3070 Ti with 6144 CUDA cores have allegedly been scrapped. No reason was provided, but we believe that yield of GA104 could’ve been an issue (the PG142 SKU 0 required full GPU to be operational). Thus, we should not expect GA104-400 till SUPER refresh next year.

The GeForce RTX 3070 8GB will be updated to 16GB memory. This SKU carries a codename of PG142 SKU 05 and it is also expected to launch in December. Meanwhile, in the mid-range space we have RTX 3060 Ti, which now has been pushed back to mid-November, our sources claim.

According to the information we gathered this week, AMD is set to launch three SKUs based on Navi 21 with 16GB memory. In response, NVIDIA is adding SKUs with higher memory capacity.

Please note we are sharing information as soon as we receive it. Some dates may shift as we approach the launch. This year has been exceptionally surprising for GPU enthusiasts with some cards already being postponed. NVIDIA may revise the plans as we learn more about Navi 21 availability.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-to-launch-in-december

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Validity/likelihood?

What on earth are they playing at? They've not even got the botched September launch items out to the vast majority of people and yet, they'll proceed with fecking over literally everyone who bought any card from 3070 straight through to the 3090 just a few weeks after they receive the original item they ordered months beforehand?

That would be absolutely scandalous.

Bojan11

Validity/likelihood?

What on earth are they playing at? They've not even got the botched September launch items out to the vast majority of people and yet, they'll proceed with fecking over literally everyone who bought any card from 3070 straight through to the 3090 just a few weeks after they receive the original item they ordered months beforehand?

Don’t know with Nvidia. Probably reaction to big navi, so get more cards out that they can’t supply unless you a YouTuber.

According to Videocardz's sources, NVIDIA is now planning to launch the RTX 3080 20 GB variant sometime in December. We had first heard about the 20GB variant before the Ampere series was announced and it had originally been planned for release just after AMD's Big Navi. This new timeline would represent a delay of about a month or so - assuming AMD goes with a hard launch of their Big Navi series and NVIDIA would not have made such a decision lightly.

The NVIDIA RTX 3080 would be based on the PG132 SKU20 and has been in the pipeline for quite some time. While it features the same CUDA Cores (as per leaks) it has twice the amount of memory. Considering the fact that killer apps like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 already chomp away all the vRAM the 2080 Ti had to offer, 10 GB is going to feel tiny after a year or two. Considering next-gen consoles are already driving games with asset-streaming of large worlds, vRAM is going to start becoming a lot more crucial than before. With AMD launching a card with 16GB of vRAM, NVIDIA had to reply with their own high vRAM card.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-20-gb-currently-planned-for-launch-in-december/

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Validity/likelihood?

Totally plausible. Depending on big navi and it’s price to performance. They saturated the market the last time with ‘Super’ cards which was just to keep the marketshare from AMD.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Christ. I've been out of the GPU game far too long because this all seems like insanity to me.

How do you feel about your 3090 in light of this news @Bojan11 ?

If it's true, they're matching off against it with the 3080ti whilst the thing has barely been born!

Guess Ed isn't the only one overseeing an absolute shambles.

Bojan11

Christ. I've been out of the GPU game far too long because this all seems like insanity to me.

How do you feel about your 3090 in light of this news @Bojan11 ?

If it's true, they're matching off against it with the 3080ti whilst the thing has barely been born!

Guess Ed isn't the only one overseeing an absolute shambles.
Not bothered. Just want to get my hands on one and considering the delivery status for the ASUS, I will be waiting till November or later. That’s just me being 86 on the list.

I assumed by then you could just order it online.

The only good thing about this rumour for you is some people may cancel now and push you further up the queue.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not bothered. Just want to get my hands on one and considering the delivery status for the ASUS, I will be waiting till November or later. That’s just me being 86 on the list.

I assumed by then you could just order it online.

The only good thing about this rumour for you is some people may cancel now and push you further up the queue.
Ha!

If they feck that one up as much as this launch, won't be getting my hands on that card until March or April, plus won't the shops have to avoid the backlash and thus stagger the release?

Nvidia really are conmen. They shouldn't be allowed to get away these practices, really, but it seems to be normalised by now, which is just mental.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So it'll either be the Ryzen 7 5800x or Ryzen 9 5900x.
Ryzen 9 might be overkill for just gaming, but I've got time to consider :lol:

5950x seems overkill, especially for the price jump

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
All right lads, Im looking to in the not too distant future upgrade my Ryzen 5 1600 and 970 GTX. I dont need the very best. I need the best value to performance ratio - which I why ive loved the 970, the 1600 and cpus like the i7 2600k before and gpus like the 6600GT.

What should be my upgrade path? (and yes I guess I can still overclock the Ryzen 5..)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Got emails from both scan and Overclockers today updating me on my current position with them: I've moved 1 place with scan and none with OC, in almost two weeks.

As far as botch jobs go, what launches have been worse than this?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Got emails from both scan and Overclockers today updating me on my current position with them: I've moved 1 place with scan and none with OC, in almost two weeks.

As far as botch jobs go, what launches have been worse than this?
I moved 0 with Scan and around 15 with OC :lol:

The frustrating thing is, I actually want the FE one more than any, and don't have that on pre order

Bojan11

Moved four places with Scan and they haven’t received new stock yet, so guess people had enough.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I moved 0 with Scan and around 15 with OC :lol:

The frustrating thing is, I actually want the FE one more than any, and don't have that on pre order
You're lucky to have had movement! At this rate, December looks like the time when OC will deliver. I'm guessing there'll be some kind of uptake in production soon... right.. :nervous:

Can't believe scan: 'hey! Just letting you know nothing is happening! Have a nice day! :)" :lol:

I think it'll be time to pre-order the 20gig card rather than bother with trying to get your hands on that FE one, Igor.

Tiber

In terms of RGB (and tech!) my PC is pretty modest by modern PCMR standards, but I am absurdly pleased with the keyboard I got for half price on Prime Day

Have wanted one of these Razer Keyboards since I built my first PC but I was never going to pay £100+ for a keyboard. Maybe the lights will suddenly make me better at Football Manager?

In terms of the actual box I have a Ryzen 2600x and a Vega GPU. This system can still play just about anything on high/very high. So I would highly recommend going Ryzen > Intel these days, the new chips just announced look particularly tasty if you have the budget for it.

The best tip I can give for building a PC is keep an eye on the Amazon warehouse section, this is where they sell returns. I got a top of the range Cooler Master case that had never even been opened (there was just a mark on the box and someone returned it) for less than 1/3 of RRP.

Bojan11

Total preorders for the Asus 3090 models on Scan have gone from 530 to 475 in a week. They haven’t listed the next delivery date, but hopefully they hurry up.

Stactix

Feel like I should upgrade before Cyberpunk, Gtx970/I5 469K

Not sure which direction to take.. probably need a new processor/GTX and motherboard if I did. ;/

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Feel like I should upgrade before Cyberpunk, Gtx970/I5 469K

Not sure which direction to take.. probably need a new processor/GTX and motherboard if I did. ;/
That's still a good CPU. Won't bottleneck you at 1080p in games. You could easily just grab a 1660ti or 5700x. Make sure you have 16gb of ram too.

Bojan11

NVIDIA allegedly cancels its December launch of GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB. This still very fresh information comes from two independent sources.

Technically GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB could launch at a later time, but the information that we have clearly stated that those SKUs have been canceled, not postponed. NVIDIA has already canceled its RTX 3070 Ti model (PG141 SKU 0), so the RTX 3070 16GB (PG141 SKU5) and RTX 3080 20GB (PG132 SKU20) will be joining the list.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB was expected to be a response to AMD Radeon RX 6900/6800 series featuring Navi 21 GPU. All three AMD SKUs will feature 16GB of memory, leaving NVIDIA with a smaller frame buffer to compete with.

We do not know the official reason for the cancellation. The RTX 3080 20GB might have been scrapped due to low GDDR6X yield issues, one source claims. The reason behind RTX 3070 16GB cancellation is unknown (this SKU uses GDDR6 memory).

The plans for GeForce RTX 3060 Ti remain unchanged. The PG190 SKU 10 remains on track for mid-November launch. NVIDIA has not yet confirmed the exact launch date.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Total preorders for the Asus 3090 models on Scan have gone from 530 to 475 in a week. They haven’t listed the next delivery date, but hopefully they hurry up.
0 movement for me. I'd rather they didn't send me 'updates' if they're not moving me along.

55 in a week for you; not bad, but they really need to pick things up or you won't be getting one until December, which is shocking when they're taking money in September!

OleBoiii

Invested in a Noctua CPU cooler with a massive heat sink and two fans. The beast weighs around 2 kilos and covers half my motherboard. Compared to the AMD stock fan, the idle temperature dropped more than 10 degrees celsius on average. Average in-game temp dropped almost 20 degrees. My PC also makes significantly less noise.

Well worth the money!

Castia

Will be building a new pc in the coming months, I’m giving my current rig (gtx 1070) to my stepson and starting fresh.

My plan is to go with the new Ryzen 5 5600 on release alongside a RTX 3070, 16gb ram and a 1 tb ssd.

This will be my first build using a water cooler for the cpu, I’m planning on getting the nzxt x63 kraken, how are these coolers? are they worth it or should I keep it simple and go with a fan cooler?

Balljy

Invested in a Noctua CPU cooler with a massive heat sink and two fans. The beast weighs around 2 kilos and covers half my motherboard. Compared to the AMD stock fan, the idle temperature dropped more than 10 degrees celsius on average. Average in-game temp dropped almost 20 degrees. My PC also makes significantly less noise.

Well worth the money!
Is that the Noctua D15? It's a massive cooler, but I had similar results to you to the extent that I'm happy pushing warm air into it with fans to keep the GPU area cool. The thing will just deal with it and keep the CPU temperatures really low regardless. It can also be pretty silent with the fans barely ramping I find.

I totally lucked out yesterday and managed to refresh Amazon just when an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 went on sale. Managed to get it for £750 which is pretty good for the card.