Gaming Building a gaming PC

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There aren't wrong, you show me a article, tried and tested, that shows the human eye can see over 100FPS?
They are wrong, you are misunderstanding the uses of fps and hz. Also, there's no fast hard study that confirms what the eye can actually see in terms of fps (the hz scale is different, and even then there's no set answer), but I can tell the difference way above 60 that's for sure. I am trained to of course, but that doesn't change the fact I can see it. In fact, most people who play fast paced games (like fps) often do without even knowing it.

And yes, even on 60hz monitors/tvs before you ask. FPS and HZ are two separate things.

But we've had this discussion so many times over the years on here. I don't blame you for not knowing the differences it's one of those things that you may never need to bother knowing so why would you? But to answer your original point, no, higher fps is the exact opposite of what you say, it only enhances games there's absolutely no question about that...It's not just about visuals.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They are wrong, you are misunderstanding the uses of fps and hz. Also, there's no fast hard study that confirms what the eye can actually see in terms of fps (the hz scale is different, and even then there's no set answer), but I can tell the difference way above 60 that's for sure. I am trained to of course, but that doesn't change the fact I can see it. In fact, most people who play fast paced games (like fps) often do without even knowing it.

And yes, even on 60hz monitors/tvs before you ask. FPS and HZ are two separate things.

But we've had this discussion so many times over the years on here. I don't blame you for not knowing the differences it's one of those things that you may never need to bother knowing so why would you? But to answer your original point, no, higher fps is the exact opposite of what you say, it only enhances games there's absolutely no question about that...It's not just about visuals.
OK a screen no matter what type refreshes yes? In HZ? That figure is by the second, the speed at which a CPU/GPU can transmit it to the screen is in FPS, I am not denying an high FPS is great but its only up to a certain point. You are bought into the game of PC hardware, people post these videos on fecking YOUTUBE where the differences cant even be seen, they don't watch the footage they watch the numbers. I am not taking about visuals, FPS isn't about visuals its about smooth gameplay.

Vsync is there to stop frame shreeding.

Redlambs

OK a screen no matter what type refreshes yes? In HZ? That figure is by the second, the speed at which a CPU/GPU can transmit it to the screen is in FPS, I am not denying an high FPS is great but its only up to a certain point. You are bought into the game of PC hardware, people post these videos on fecking YOUTUBE where the differences cant even be seen, they don't watch the footage they watch the numbers. I am not taking about visuals, FPS isn't about visuals its about smooth gameplay.

Vsync is there to stop frame shreeding.
Mate, you should stop right there.

The difference is I actually know what I'm talking about, I've been making games and programming hardware since way (and I mean waaaaay) before youtube was even a thing, in fact I started before the Internet was even really a thing and people actually had to figure stuff out for themselves. You really shouldn't try to condescend me on this, it won't end well for you.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mate, you should stop right there.

The difference is I actually know what I'm talking about, I've been making games and programming hardware since way (and I mean waaaaay) before youtube was even a thing, in fact I started before the Internet was even really a thing and people actually had to figure stuff out for themselves. You really shouldn't try to condescend me on this, it won't end well for you.
:lol: ok, I'm condescending, I am pretty sure I have been gaming longer than you. Im too old to be bothered with this TBH.

Redlambs

:lol: ok, I'm condescending, I am pretty sure I have been gaming longer than you.
Very doubtful. Even if so, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Unless you actually think playing games makes you some kind of expert on what's happening behind the scenes now?

But if you want to keep digging, feel free. It's especially amusing to me as you used a video of a racing sim to talk about fps! That's irony right there, but of course being the expert you are, you knew that ;)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Very doubtful. Even if so, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Unless you actually think playing games makes you some kind of expert on what's happening behind the scenes now?

But if you want to keep digging, feel free. It's especially amusing to me as you used a video of a racing sim to talk about fps! That's irony right there, but of course being the expert you are, you knew that ;)
Whatever floats your boat.

Bojan11

Thanks for the discord invite @Balljy.

Hoping I can find one because I’d really love it and I mean love it if I can go to Scan and tell them to shove it.

Redlambs

No mate I just cant be arsed with everything being a dick swinging match to everything I post.
Dude, it's not dick swinging. You went off about youtube videos, trying to condescend, whereas I've merely been trying to help you learn from the off. I could have been a real dick and gone in, but if you are a gamer then you are fine by me.

As I said, not everyone is going to know what's what and nor should they be bothered. I understand why people think fps doesn't matter past the screen hz and all that, as it's confusing and not something most care to think about. It doesn't help with the sudden interest from the like of Sony/MS in higher fps without showing why, nor are the pcmasterrace idiots all over the net easy to befriend and understand.

But as I think you've seen for yourself by looking into it a little tonight, fps isn't some buzzword people by into and it's not about the graphics it matters more than that. Much more in terms of how games run and how good they can be. Now if you ask if spending £1500 on a new graphics card is worth it just to show off, then we'll probably be closer in our opinions on that :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
After I got my 165hz monitor I could definitely tell the difference, not just gaming but everything moving on the screen.

Last edited:

Redlambs

After I got my 165hz monitor I could definitely tell the difference, not just gaming but every thing moving on the screen.
People tend to still harp on about that "well movies are shot in 24hz!!!" thing as if that is in any way relevant. Some genuinely can't even tell the difference.

Hence why there's not actually real answer on the limits to the human eye. But seriously if you can't use a 120+ hz monitor and notice just how much smoother even moving the mouse across the screen is, well, specsavers...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Dude, it's not dick swinging. You went off about youtube videos, trying to condescend, whereas I've merely been trying to help you learn from the off. I could have been a real dick and gone in, but if you are a gamer then you are fine by me.

As I said, not everyone is going to know what's what and nor should they be bothered. I understand why people think fps doesn't matter past the screen hz and all that, as it's confusing and not something most care to think about. It doesn't help with the sudden interest from the like of Sony/MS in higher fps without showing why, nor are the pcmasterrace idiots all over the net easy to befriend and understand.

But as I think you've seen for yourself by looking into it a little tonight, fps isn't some buzzword people by into and it's not about the graphics it matters more than that. Much more in terms of how games run and how good they can be. Now if you ask if spending £1500 on a new graphics card is worth it just to show off, then we'll probably be closer in our opinions on that :lol:
See the thing is I think your being condescending, and elitist, I am quite happy where I am at, and elite hardware doesn't make a gamer. I simply commented on a posted YouTube video. Again, what ever floats your boat man. I didn't go off on anything :lol:. Cheerio my friend.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
These videos make me laugh, how many gamers play of a monitor that refreshes at these FPS? ITs when the tech starts to interfere with the gaming.
One can definitely tell the difference between 60fps and 150fps. Ask anyone who's played at those framerates. You get unbelievable experience and its hard to go back to 60fps never mind consitent locked 30. I wouldn't touch a 30 fps game if it was the best game ever to be released.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
People tend to still harp on about that "well movies are shot in 24hz!!!" thing as if that is in any way relevant. Some genuinely can't even tell the difference.

Hence why there's not actually real answer on the limits to the human eye. But seriously if you can't use a 120+ hz monitor and notice just how much smoother even moving the mouse across the screen is, well, specsavers...
Is that condescending? :lol: Bubi

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
One can definitely tell the difference between 60fps and 150fps. Ask anyone who's played at those framerates. You get unbelievable experience and its hard to go back to 60fps never mind consitent locked 30. I wouldn't touch a 30 fps game if it was the best game ever to be released.
Yet millions of console players do.... AMAZING. COST vs EXPERIENCE.... Jesus.

Bojan11

My 7 year old nephew who only plays Fortnite could tell the difference from going to console to 240fps on PC.

There’s a reason why competitive players want the highest FPS possible and it’s not because it’s some fancy buzzword.

Paxi

My 7 year old nephew who only plays Fortnite could tell the difference from going to console to 240fps on PC.

There’s a reason why competitive players want the highest FPS possible and it’s not because it’s some fancy buzzword.
And people tend to play on the 'competitive' settings as well. Basically turning everything down to get as many fps as possible.

Paxi

Well its not the first choice but it will certainly do the job for now. Pretty much the same performance as FE model. Overall, I could have still had nothing and payed way over MSRP. It'll do.

Bojan11

Well its not the first choice but it will certainly do the job for now. Pretty much the same performance as FE model. Overall, I could have still had nothing and payed way over MSRP. It'll do.

Nice. When is it coming?

Redlambs

See the thing is I think your being condescending, and elitist, I am quite happy where I am at, and elite hardware doesn't make a gamer. I simply commented on a posted YouTube video. Again, what ever floats your boat man. I didn't go off on anything :lol:. Cheerio my friend.
Is that condescending? :lol: Bubi
Yet millions of console players do.... AMAZING. COST vs EXPERIENCE.... Jesus.
Have you been drinking?

It's not about being elite, you brought up a point and I tried to educate you. Because I know what I'm talking about, and I'm not ashamed of that nor did I jump on you with any knowledge of how I know until you decided to claim I just watch youtube (which again is Irony, though you dodged that last point about irony didn't you eh? Wonder why!) and as if all of us have bought in to some myth about PC power? I mean, is this some kind of Q for gaming? You then googled some things, barely understood them, changed your tune over and over and then tried to get all snarky even though I was trying to be quite pleasant to you. And that doesn't even happen often with me! See, I try to be nice for once and some miserable doughnut thinks he knows everything (despite not fully understanding a word of what he's googled and reposted).

But hey, if you want to embarrass yourself further, one day let's talk really old games (since you brought up how long you've been gaming and tried to outdo me with that, for some bizarre reason!) and we'll see what's what :lol:

Never mind. I'm off to bed.
Probably for the best. Maybe tomorrow you can have a think about what your point actually was in the first place ;)

People watch youtube and go on twitter and get all these stupid little ideas that everything is some myth or what not. The sad bit is that some actually buy into all this fun about console/PC wars just a little too much and actually get sucked into a "side" for real. I mean "human eyes can't see much above 60fps" :lol::lol::lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Have you been drinking?

It's not about being elite, you brought up a point and I tried to educate you. Because I know what I'm talking about, and I'm not ashamed of that nor did I jump on you with any knowledge of how I know until you decided to claim I just watch youtube (which again is Irony, though you dodged that last point about irony didn't you eh? Wonder why!) and as if all of us have bought in to some myth about PC power? I mean, is this some kind of Q for gaming? You then googled some things, barely understood them, changed your tune over and over and then tried to get all snarky even though I was trying to be quite pleasant to you. And that doesn't even happen often with me! See, I try to be nice for once and some miserable doughnut thinks he knows everything (despite not fully understanding a word of what he's googled and reposted).

But hey, if you want to embarrass yourself further, one day let's talk really old games (since you brought up how long you've been gaming and tried to outdo me with that, for some bizarre reason!) and we'll see what's what :lol:

Probably for the best. Maybe tomorrow you can have a think about what your point actually was in the first place ;)

People watch youtube and go on twitter and get all these stupid little ideas that everything is some myth or what not. The sad bit is that some actually buy into all this fun about console/PC wars just a little too much and actually get sucked into a "side" for real. I mean "human eyes can't see much above 60fps" :lol::lol::lol:
Ok, can we let it go now? Internet forums crack me up. I’m actually a pc gamer.

Redlambs

Ok, can we let it go now? Internet forums crack me up. I’m actually a pc gamer.
Hey, I've been giving you outs all night! :lol:

But yeah, it's all good man. At the end of the day, we are all gamers and none of our silly bickering matters in the grand scheme of things. A new gaming machine drops tomorrow, that's what we should be focusing on now ;)

Bojan11

fecking hell, was literally at my computer on discord when the links for the 3070 went up, I went straight to the page and there's already a queue for the baskets!

I hate scalpers with a passion :lol:
You snooze you lose!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Did you guys get your RTXs? Stock just appeared all over Lebanon, reliable shops too, not those shady ones.

Last edited:

Paxi

Did you guys get your RTXs? Stock just appeared all over Lebanon, reliable shops too, not those shady ones.
I really doubt people in UK or Ireland would be able to order from Lebanon.

Paxi

There was a strix available and I missed it from Amazon too.

You'll get one mate, just gotta be patient. I've seen multiple tufs come up since I've been added to discord.