Gaming Building a gaming PC

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
3x Overclock out of the box. Basically means (in theory) it is pre-overclocked and should be made with better components (like more/larger fans). Not that it's always the case, but normally it does allow for even higher overclocks in theory than a standard non OC card.
Which vendor mate? I got a Palit OC and its 40 mhz higher than FE, yet it's a frame or two behind in most cases. Im going to oc it myself to try to get every last inch out of it. BTW have you heard anything about overclocking affecting frame pacing. Steve Burke of GN mentioned something briefly but I couldn't find more info on it. I'd obviously prefer more consistent frame pacing than a higher frame rate when you're already hitting 90 on average.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Which vendor mate? I got a Palit OC and its 40 mhz higher than FE, yet it's a frame or two behind in most cases. Im going to oc it myself to try to get every last inch out of it. BTW have you heard anything about overclocking affecting frame pacing. Steve Burke of GN mentioned something briefly but I couldn't find more info on it. I'd obviously prefer more consistent frame pacing than a higher frame rate when you're already hitting 90 on average.
Gigabyte. TBH I didn't really pay attention as I just wanted one so jumped straight on it when the alert came :lol:

Yeah, I'm not interested in pushing it early days I went OC for the future. I'm not surprised if there are teething issues with frame pacing on standard overclocks, but I don't think there'll be a huge problem on these pre-clocked ones. As for FPS, I'm a philistine as I'm running an older i7 and 1080 144hz monitor for now, so I'll be getting 144 butter smooth in everything (interestingly enough I've watched a video on a similar set up and RT can do that in most games even without the dynamic stuff switched on). I'm going to do a full on upgrade in the new year when I've decided on the parts.

Paxi

Gigabyte. TBH I didn't really pay attention as I just wanted one so jumped straight on it when the alert came :lol:

Yeah, I'm not interested in pushing it early days I went OC for the future. I'm not surprised if there are teething issues with frame pacing on standard overclocks, but I don't think there'll be a huge problem on these pre-clocked ones. As for FPS, I'm a philistine as I'm running an older i7 and 1080 144hz monitor for now, so I'll be getting 144 butter smooth in everything (interestingly enough I've watched a video on a similar set up and RT can do that in most games even without the dynamic stuff switched on). I'm going to do a full on upgrade in the new year when I've decided on the parts.
3080, by all accounts, has very limited overclocking capacity. Factory overclocked cards are largely okay with frame pacing but I'm interested in manually overclocked. Nevermind, I'll probably do a very light one but a stable one.

How you put some thought into which parts? Surely AMD at this point. Even though I'm with intel. :lol:

Redlambs

3080, by all accounts, has very limited overclocking capacity. Factory overclocked cards are largely okay with frame pacing but I'm interested in manually overclocked. Nevermind, I'll probably do a very light one but a stable one.
You can push the factory overclocked even further though, if they have been built correctly. No standard card should come close.

How you put some thought into which parts? Surely AMD at this point. Even though I'm with intel. :lol:
At the AMD are obviously the forefront, but it all depends on time and work what I get and if I build myself or at least get Aria to to some of the work (their MB/CPU overclock bundles are typically excellent). Thing is when i upgrade mine, I do both my boy's ones on a sliding scale, so I need to build for all three in mind with inheriting parts (if that makes sense).[/QUOTE]

Balljy

I got more success from an undervolted overclock. I'm currently running 2030mhz at 930mV and it's rock stable. That's not much less than I could push it to anyway at full voltage and it's about 200mhz over base clock. Mine was the FTW3 Ultra OC.

Edit - the thing about the 3080 is how much power it needs (more than even the stupidly high consumption it has). The FTW3 Ultra has a 400 watt bios compared to the normal around 350 (and there is an option of a 450w version you can download from EVGA) and at stock speeds it was power limited when going for high clocks (at 400 watts!). The 3080 has crazy power needs. That's why I think undervolting is the way to go.

Last edited:

Paxi

You can push the factory overclocked even further though, if they have been built correctly. No standard card should come close.

At the AMD are obviously the forefront, but it all depends on time and work what I get and if I build myself or at least get Aria to to some of the work (their MB/CPU overclock bundles are typically excellent). Thing is when i upgrade mine, I do both my boy's ones on a sliding scale, so I need to build for all three in mind with inheriting parts (if that makes sense).
[/QUOTE]

I know that you can but I heard on Kitguru that 3080's have limited manual overclocking. Also from reviews I've seen, all aib models have very solid builds.

About AMD, I'd be very satisfied with Ryzen 7 now and 3070. Get yourself good ram sticks and you're golden.

Paxi

I got more success from an undervolted overclock. I'm currently running 2030mhz at 930mV and it's rock stable. That's not much less than I could push it to anyway at full voltage and it's about 200mhz over base clock. Mine was the FTW3 Ultra OC.

Edit - the thing about the 3080 is how much power it needs (more than even the stupidly high consumption it has). The FTW3 Ultra has a 400 watt bios compared to the normal around 350 (and there is an option of a 450w version) and at stock speeds it was power limited when going for high clocks (at 400 watts!). The 3080 has crazy power needs. That's why I think undervolting is the way to go.
How does that work? Palit is already running underspeck, although its 4 watts.

Redlambs

Edit - the thing about the 3080 is how much power it needs (more than even the stupidly high consumption it has). The FTW3 Ultra has a 400 watt bios compared to the normal around 350 (and there is an option of a 450w version you can download from EVGA) and at stock speeds it was power limited when going for high clocks (at 400 watts!). The 3080 has crazy power needs. That's why I think undervolting is the way to go.
Yeah I undervolt my RX580 (cracking card still) and it's much better that way.

Paxi

Yeah I undervolt my RX580 (cracking card still) and it's much better that way.
Why is that? Sorry I'm fairly new to this. Anything to get smoother experience.

Balljy

How does that work? Palit is already running underspeck, although its 4 watts.
The cards have a set power limit in the bios which stops it from drawing more than that. The higher the voltage of the CPU, the more power it consumes. The idea of undervolting is to reduce the power to the CPU, but keep the clock speeds at the highest they can go at that voltage. Read up on Afterburner undervolting, there's some good Youtube guides on how to do it. Afterburner is the software. Lower power = lower temperatures and more stable clock speeds

The cards are sold at set speeds and voltages by the manufacturer so you may have a good one that can do a lot better than the default if you're lucky.

Be a bit careful as you're changing the voltage of the GPU, but as long as you only go down (don't go up!) it's safe and then raise the clock a bit at a time until it starts crashing when running benchmarks. Starting at 950mV to 970 mV is a decent place to start on a 3080 undervolt

Redlambs

Why is that? Sorry I'm fairly new to this. Anything to get smoother experience.
The cards have a set power limit in the bios which stops it from drawing more than that. The higher the voltage of the CPU, the more power it consumes. The idea of undervolting is to reduce the power to the CPU, but keep the clock speeds at the highest they can go at that voltage. Read up on Afterburner undervolting, there's some good Youtube guides on how to do it. Afterburner is the software. Lower power = lower temperatures and more stable clock speeds

The cards are set at set speeds and voltages by the manufacturer so you may have a good one that can do a lot better than the default if you're lucky.

Be a bit careful as you're changing the voltage of the CPU, but as long as you only go down (don't go up!) it's safe and then raise the clock a bit at a time until it starts crashing when running benchmarks. Starting at 950mV to 970 mV is a decent place to start on a 3080 undervolt
Yep. And coupled with messing with the clock speeds (and maybe to a lesser extent memory speeds), you can pull much smoother framerates. For example, my Radeon card is able to run Control at very decent framerates but had slight microstutters that overclocking alone actually made worse. By undervolting the card and letting the temps calm down, even without an overclock it cleared that right up. In fact, in a lot of cases, a slight underclock in conjunction with un undervolt can actually maintain your fps (even raise it slightly) but make it even more smooth.

On top of that I run a custom fan profile. My Rx580 performs way above what it has any right too, it's actually amazing what I've managed to pull out of it combined with my whole system being set up right for gaming. And it's an old system by today's standards too.

It's why I maintain to people it's not always about upgrading and throwing brute force at everything, it's why it's taken me so long to even update my gfx card. I simply have had no need to, even with Cyberpunk coming out I'd happily be playing it on this rig.

Paxi

The cards are sold at set speeds and voltages by the manufacturer so you may have a good one that can do a lot better than the default if you're lucky.

Be a bit careful as you're changing the voltage of the GPU, but as long as you only go down (don't go up!) it's safe and then raise the clock a bit at a time until it starts crashing when running benchmarks. Starting at 950mV to 970 mV is a decent place to start on a 3080 undervolt
But the trade off is?

Regards to overclocking, I know how but just always thought a method of putting pc into power mode and setting a gpu voltage limit, then boosting core clocks and memory and what have you.

Undervolting for better performance is something I haven't heard of.

Paxi

Yep. And coupled with messing with the clock speeds (and maybe to a lesser extent memory speeds), you can pull much smoother framerates. For example, my Radeon card is able to run Control at very decent framerates but had slight microstutters that overclocking alone actually made worse. By undervolting the card and letting the temps calm down, even without an overclock it cleared that right up. In fact, in a lot of cases, a slight underclock in conjunction with un undervolt can actually maintain your fps (even raise it slightly) but make it even more smooth.

On top of that I run a custom fan profile. My Rx580 performs way above what it has any right too, it's actually amazing what I've managed to pull out of it combined with my whole system being set up right for gaming. And it's an old system by today's standards too.

It's why I maintain to people it's not always about upgrading and throwing brute force at everything, it's why it's taken me so long to even update my gfx card. I simply have had no need to, even with Cyberpunk coming out I'd happily be playing it on this rig.
Ah that's what Steve Burke mentioned. Is it a case of dialing in a more stable overclock or will cards always show microstutters, which aren't micro by any stretch if you think about it.

Balljy

But the trade off is?

Regards to overclocking, I know how but just always thought a method of putting pc into power mode and setting a gpu voltage limit, then boosting core clocks and memory and what have you.

It's more stable framerates potentially when you underclock. Also with the 3xxx cards they are extremely power limited. My FTW3 Ultra was trying to get more than 400w at it's stock oc so was running hot and was having to reduce clock speeds to keep to the power limit. By reducing the voltage you're making sure it doesn't reach this and allowing it more headroom to raise clock speeds. Run HWINFO whilst running a benchmark on your stock Palit and you will definitely see in the power section the word "limited", which shows your card had to reduce clocks to keep to the limit.

The trade-off is that you won't get to the highest possible clocks that card allows, but that's useless if it can't get to them anyway due to temps etc. It's reaching the right balance that you're aiming for.

Watch the 6800XT review on Gamers Nexus. In the section at the end he shows his overclocking results on the card. Higher voltages and clock speeds get lower frame rates than lower voltages & clocks and he explains why in that video.

Last edited:

Paxi

It's more stable framerates potentially when you underclock. Also with the 3xxx cards they are extremely power limited. My FTW3 Ultra was trying to get more than 400w at it's stock oc so was running hot and was having to reduce clock speeds to keep to the power limit. By reducing the voltage you're making sure it doesn't reach this and allowing it more headroom to raise clock speeds.

The trade-off is that you won't get to the highest possible clocks that card allows, but that's useless if it can't get to them anyway due to temps etc. It's reaching the right balance that you're aiming for.

Watch the 6800XT review on Gamers Nexus. In the section at the end he shows his overclocking results on the card. Higher voltages and clock speeds get lower frame rates than lower voltages clocks and he explains why in that video.
Of course, I understand that temps play arguably most important part. Yet, would this not apply to case by case basis - excuse the pun? Gaming X trio seems to have the best temps but performing subpar which is a surprise, which leads to believe that performance deficit may be elsewhere.

Again, I must stress, I'm new to this so I'm new to being educated.

As regards to GN reviews, yes, I've seen that.

Redlambs

But the trade off is?

It's more common than not these days. Especially on AMD cards.

The cards have a general limit that the manufacture sets. Now obviously no 2 cards are the same, some run hotter than others, some can be pushed further. What undervolting does is potentialy limit the heat build up so the card has more breathing space to reach it's higher clock for a longer period. The only real negative is you can't reach quite as high speeds as over volting (although these days not far off), however it nearly always provides with a much smoother spread of the power and frames as it's not constantly trying to bottleneck itself.

For example, the AMD drivers let you kind of do it in them now. I can lower the power draw on my card by as high as 20-30% without reducing my framerate, which means I can then push a higher clock and get better and more importantly more consistent frames. On games where there's micro stuttering either due to the terrible AMD drivers or the game being ropey (like Control) I can eliminate them by pushing my power consumption up by 10%, or I can eliminate them by dropping it 20% and then raise the overall fps by then overclocking.

I hope I'm making sense!

Balljy

Of course, I understand that temps play arguably most important part. Yet, would this not apply to case by case basis - excuse the pun? Gaming X trio seems to have the best temps but performing subpar which is a surprise, which leads to believe that performance deficit may be elsewhere.

Again, I must stress, I'm new to this so I'm new to being educated.

As regards to GN reviews, yes, I've seen that.
It's not just temps here though. It's the power limit. Your card will have a set power limit of about 330watts to 350 watts and it will draw what it can to achieve maximum boost clocks at a reasonable temperature. If it tries to draw say 360 watts, the card will lower clocks automatically as it isn't allowed to do this and you lose FPS.

Stock = 1700mhz, power required is 340 watts and temp = 60 degrees. No problem.
Straight overclock = 1800mhz, power required is 360 watts and temp = 65 degrees. Clocks reduced due to exceeding power limit
Voltage increase = 1900mhz, power required = 350 watts and temp = 80 degrees. Clock reduced due to temp
Undervolted overclock 1900mhz, power required = 340 watts and temp = 60 degrees. No problem.

Obviously the above is dependent on the card to determine the extent of the undervolt and associated overclock you can do but it gives you the idea. You're aiming to reach the limit of what the card can do whilst keeping it under the power limit and temps under control. You may get good results off an overclock and over voltage, but with 3xxx cards that's pretty much unheard due to their power draw.

Last edited:

Paxi

It's not just temps here though. It's the power limit. Your card will have a set power limit of about 330watts to 350 watts and it will draw what it can to achieve maximum boost clocks at a reasonable temperature. If it tries to draw say 360 watts, the card will lower clocks automatically as it isn't allowed to do this and you lose FPS.

Stock = 1700mhz, power required is 340 watts and temp = 60 degrees. No problem.
Straight overclock = 1800mhz, power required is 360 watts and temp = 65 degrees. Clocks reduced due to exceeding power limit
Voltage increase = 1900mhz, power required = 350 watts and temp = 80 degrees. Clock reduced due to temp
Undervolted overclock 1900mhz, power required = 340 watts and temp = 60 degrees. No problem.

Obviously the above is dependent on the card to determine the extent of the undervolt and associated overclock you can do but it gives you the idea. You're aiming to reach the limit of what the card can do whilst keeping it under the power limit and temps under control. You may get good results off an overclock and over voltage, but with 3xxx cards that's pretty much unheard due to their power draw.
I'm not going to lie to you mate, after all that I'm just going to leave my gpu as is. But I never liked overclocking gpus either.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So for 1080p and 1440p the 6800xt is the clear winner, even beating 3090 in a few benchmarks let alone 3080! However 3080 has a slight edge in 4k gaming at ultra settings. And when paired with an amd zen 3 cpu the 4k gap further narrows down. Im going team red all the way since my target is 1440p (getting a 144hz monitor aswell at the same resolution).

Paxi

So for 1080p and 1440p the 6800xt is the clear winner, even beating 3090 in a few benchmarks let alone 3080! However 3080 has a slight edge in 4k gaming at ultra settings. And when paired with an amd zen 3 cpu the 4k gap further narrows down.

Indeed it is. Its a damn good card for rasterisation.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If amd actually manages to make it available i can see them running away with it. I bet nvidia is now frantically working to increase the supply.

tenpoless

Am I the only person here who still uses gtx 1050 and be content with it? :lol:

Never seen this thread before, never thought caftards are experts in real life!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I really doubt people in UK or Ireland would be able to order from Lebanon.
For sure no. What I mean is if this shit 3rd world country has available stock, your orders should be fulfilled by now right? There's no way you should have stock shortages if I'm seeing RTXs here.

Satisfying demand in UK/US/Europe > satisfying demand in the middle east. That's how I see it anyways.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
So for 1080p and 1440p the 6800xt is the clear winner, even beating 3090 in a few benchmarks let alone 3080! However 3080 has a slight edge in 4k gaming at ultra settings. And when paired with an amd zen 3 cpu the 4k gap further narrows down. Im going team red all the way since my target is 1440p (getting a 144hz monitor aswell at the same resolution).

I'm in the same boat as you but will wait for price differences between RTX and AMD GPUs based on the region here.

Redlambs

So just chucked the 3070 in, and all smooth no issues. First game I load up for the raytracing? Quake 2 :lol: And it looks absolutely stunning with the glass and water effects!

Also the purists are going to hate me, but all that extra jazz on the card like the RGB lights and that little video screen...all to be hidden in a black box under my desk :nervous:

Redlambs

So this card has some power to say the least.

On Control with an old i7 rig, with DDR3 memory, I'm getting ~130fps with everything maxed (including Ray tracing) and even ~80fps with DLSS off (albeit at 1080, but still...). And it it looks absolutely stunning, Ray Tracing is amazing when used properly, and even Control is early days implementation.

I'm impressed.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So, maybe I need a link to this discord :lol:
To be honest, my 3080 TUF from scan is number 18 on the list, but I actually only want the 3080 FE now as the waterblock for it is really nice

Paxi

So this card has some power to say the least.

On Control with an old i7 rig, with DDR3 memory, I'm getting ~130fps with everything maxed (including Ray tracing) and even ~80fps with DLSS off (albeit at 1080, but still...). And it it looks absolutely stunning, Ray Tracing is amazing when used properly, and even Control is early days implementation.

I'm impressed.
Can you tell the difference between 130fps and 80 though?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So, maybe I need a link to this discord :lol:
To be honest, my 3080 TUF from scan is number 18 on the list, but I actually only want the 3080 FE now as the waterblock for it is really nice
:eek::eek::eek:

Haha, from my place in the clouds, that's an incredible number to be at!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
:eek::eek::eek:

Haha, from my place in the clouds, that's an incredible number to be at!
Haha, The overclockers one is moving at a snails pace though. That will get cancelled at some point.
I dunno what to do with the TUF.
I could either sell it to fund an overpriced 3080 fe or just think sod it and use it

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haha, The overclockers one is moving at a snails pace though. That will get cancelled at some point.
I dunno what to do with the TUF.
I could either sell it to fund an overpriced 3080 fe or just think sod it and use it
FE's don't come about very often at all, and when they do, it's a clump, then gone for days at a time again. Basically means you've got to be on the ball when they pop up.

My own situation hasn't changed: will gladly take the TUF, if it ever comes, but if I see a 3080/3090 ftw 3 ultra, I'll take that instead.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
So just chucked the 3070 in, and all smooth no issues. First game I load up for the raytracing? Quake 2 :lol: And it looks absolutely stunning with the glass and water effects!

Also the purists are going to hate me, but all that extra jazz on the card like the RGB lights and that little video screen...all to be hidden in a black box under my desk :nervous:
From the research I have done I have learned by hiding RGB you lose about 1000 FPS