Gaming Building a gaming PC

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So for 1080p and 1440p the 6800xt is the clear winner, even beating 3090 in a few benchmarks let alone 3080! However 3080 has a slight edge in 4k gaming at ultra settings. And when paired with an amd zen 3 cpu the 4k gap further narrows down. Im going team red all the way since my target is 1440p (getting a 144hz monitor aswell at the same resolution).

Wonder if Nvidia will drop the price of the 30 series cards because of this, although AMD looks to be slightly faster i would still stick with Nvidia due to investing money in a G-Sync monitor and their better driver optimisation.

Marcelinho87

Pre-ordered my 3080 last night, £749 from ocuk... No idea where I am in any queue or what to expect, waiting game is on.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Pre-ordered my 3080 last night, £749 from ocuk... No idea where I am in any queue or what to expect, waiting game is on.
I debated doing this myself but opted against it in the end. Keep us posted how you get on I'm interested to know.

Scan currently have 2196 pre orders outstanding according to their website so if they are anything similar on Ocuk then it could be a long one!

Marcelinho87

I debated doing this myself but opted against it in the end. Keep us posted how you get on I'm interested to know.

Scan currently have 2196 pre orders outstanding according to their website so if they are anything similar on Ocuk then it could be a long one!
According to OCUK forums they are in the thousands too with pre-orders... Hopefully by opting for the Palit over say an EVGA means I am closer than I would be had I chosen a bigger name brand.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Wouldn’t mind one of the FE cards for the first time , they look great, but obviously never in stock :(

Zen

I'm on the look out for a 2nd monitor and a 1TB M2 this week if any deals pop up.....

This popped up recently - 27" Full HD Curved Monitor LC27F390FHUXEN | Samsung UK but only 1080P, though mind you it's probably only going to be there to watch stuff while my normal one screen is my main intensive unit. Dell S3220DGF - is what I have, would love to get another, but is it worth it for what I need from it for a second monitor.... nah. Any other recommendations, maybe pay a bit more to push to 1440.

How low can one expect to get a decent 1TB M2 for this week? Will be holding my games almost exclusivity. I have a 500GB WD Blue one for now, which is crazily too small, and a load of other HDD's to back that up, but yeah, let's get that second M2 slot used!

Stactix

Think I've decided to take the plunge and build a new system, potentially sell my current one to help fund it.
Running i54690k and a gtx970, 16gb ddr3 ram etc.

Looking at amd 5600x and the gtx3700 obviously neither are going to be easy to aquire.
Not particularly sure what to pair them with in terms of motherboard, powersupply and RAM.
Not an expert, I'd say budget is 1200-1500. Ideally want to future proof for another 5-6 years with minimal upgrades.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Am I the only person here who still uses gtx 1050 and be content with it? :lol:

Never seen this thread before, never thought caftards are experts in real life!
I need to get me a 1050. I'm on 750 ti

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Wonder if Nvidia will drop the price of the 30 series cards because of this, although AMD looks to be slightly faster i would still stick with Nvidia due to investing money in a G-Sync monitor and their better driver optimisation.
Most high refresh monitors now are g-sync compatible which means it will work with both gsync and freesync. There are only a few that are gsync exclusive.

Amd better get its act together for drivers though. I heard bad things about the 5700 series.

Think I've decided to take the plunge and build a new system, potentially sell my current one to help fund it.
Running i54690k and a gtx970, 16gb ddr3 ram etc.

Looking at amd 5600x and the gtx3700 obviously neither are going to be easy to aquire.
Not particularly sure what to pair them with in terms of motherboard, powersupply and RAM.
Not an expert, I'd say budget is 1200-1500. Ideally want to future proof for another 5-6 years with minimal upgrades.
I assume by gtx3700 you mean rtx 3070 ?

Nickosaur

One of my PC fans was rattling this week and I realised I hadn't opened it up and cleaned it since I built it 12 months ago :nervous:

Very satisfying getting all the dust out of there and it sounds much healthier today!

Stactix

Most high refresh monitors now are g-sync compatible which means it will work with both gsync and freesync. There are only a few that are gsync exclusive.

Amd better get its act together for drivers though. I heard bad things about the 5700 series.

I assume by gtx3700 you mean rtx 3070 ?
Yeap
Seems like it's going to be a battle to get one.

Stactix

Tempted to preorder a 3070 from overclockers, with the different models are there any to avoid? Kinda crazy seeing a £200+ price difference between the cheapest/most expensive.

Bojan11

Got my new monitor coming tomorrow. For me it’s one of the best gaming monitors out there. Only thing that could beat it in picture quality is LG OLED, but I don’t want a OLED as monitor because I have to baby it too much.

Now all I need is my card. I had to turn off the discord because all notifications were Zotac crap that nobody else wants.

ArjenIsM3

Got my new monitor coming tomorrow. For me it’s one of the best gaming monitors out there. Only thing that could beat it in picture quality is LG OLED, but I don’t want a OLED as monitor because I have to baby it too much.

Now all I need is my card. I had to turn off the discord because all notifications were Zotac crap that nobody else wants.
My Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC runs just fine. There were some issues with RGB in the beginning but an update fixed that. Smooth sailing otherwise.

Bojan11

My Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC runs just fine. There were some issues with RGB in the beginning but an update fixed that. Smooth sailing otherwise.
I am talking about 3090. Think I got 100 notifications yesterday and every one of them was Zotac. I have been waiting on the Asus for about two months now, so I rather wait for one unless I can find one earlier.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Is it any good?

Over here, I have the following options (which I won't use until stocks normalize and the price goes down cause right now its practically a rip off):

Gigabyte 3080: 1087$
MSI Trio 3080: 1055$
Manli (cheap chinese knockoff I think) 3080: 850$

I've sent an e-mail to check the prices for the Zotac, just waiting on a reply. For the record, there are two Zotacs it seems:

Zotac ZT-A30800F-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo

And

Zotac ZT-A30800J-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity OC

Update: AMP Holo for 925$, the other is out of stock.

Last edited:

SuperiorXI

Any recommended places to buy a new GPU/CPU?

Also, with COVID is it a good idea to buy parts now? Isn't supply affected thus the price hiked?

ArjenIsM3

Is it any good?

Over here, I have the following options (which I won't use until stocks normalize and the price goes down cause right now its practically a rip off):

Gigabyte 3080: 1087$
MSI Trio 3080: 1055$
Manli (cheap chinese knockoff I think) 3080: 850$

I've sent an e-mail to check the prices for the Zotac, just waiting on a reply. For the record, there are two Zotacs it seems:

Zotac ZT-A30800F-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo

And

Zotac ZT-A30800J-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity OC

Update: AMP Holo for 925$, the other is out of stock.
Yeah it's alright. Not as good as an MSI Gaming X Trio but then that's probably one of the best cards out there.

Bojan11

Got my monitor. Going to set it up in next few days. It’s 2019, but it was either this or the G9. The quality control issues with the G9 put me off because I don’t want to play musical chairs with monitors or hope I get lucky and get a good one. @Paxi thoughts?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Got my monitor. Going to set it up in next few days. It’s 2019, but it was either this or the G9. The quality control issues with the G9 put me off because I don’t want to play musical chairs with monitors or hope I get lucky and get a good one. @Paxi thoughts?

Have you got the model number for it? I'd love to see some reviews on it myself.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Made a start on getting parts on my build. So far got

Lian Li Pc 011 case
Msi Tomahawk X570 mobo
Corsair H100 aio

The cost is already racking up its gonna be one expensive build but im buying parts bit by bit so the cost being spread out isn't so painful.

God knows when the Ryzen 5000 cpus and and RTX 3080s will be available. I check every night but never see them in stock! Its starting to feel like early next year will still be too soon for stock to settle.

Bojan11

Have you got the model number for it? I'd love to see some reviews on it myself.
It is the PG35VQ. There are a few reviews from last year and displayninja reviewed it recently.

Paxi

Made a start on getting parts on my build. So far got

Lian Li Pc 011 case
Msi Tomahawk X570 mobo
Corsair H100 aio

The cost is already racking up its gonna be one expensive build but im buying parts bit by bit so the cost being spread out isn't so painful.

God knows when the Ryzen 5000 cpus and and RTX 3080s will be available. I check every night but never see them in stock! Its starting to feel like early next year will still be too soon for stock to settle.
Have asked @Balljy he's a known procurer of pc parts. Deserves a tagine for helping many a fellow caftards. Legend.

Paxi

It is the PG35VQ. There are a few reviews from last year and displayninja reviewed it recently.
My goodness, I'm just watching Tech Chaps review and it's absolutely breathtaking. :eek: Congratulations, Bojan.

I'm sure it's going to be an unbelievable gamim experience. Almost wanting one myself but its probably too rich for my blood. Would you mind telling me how it compares to 4k resolution and the overall sharpness, detail etc?

Bojan11

My goodness, I'm just watching Tech Chaps review and it's absolutely breathtaking. :eek: Congratulations, Bojan.

I'm sure it's going to be an unbelievable gamim experience. Almost wanting one myself but its probably too rich for my blood. Would you mind telling me how it compares to 4k resolution and the overall sharpness, detail etc?
I got it off Amazon for the ‘’sale’’ price. Can’t wait to play Cyberpunk on it. And yeah I will let you know how it compares to my TV as my TV when it was released is supposed to be the best HDR TV and this is by far the best monitor for HDR. I don’t think the image quality will match a LG OLED, but it’s close as you can get to OLED picture quality on a monitor.

Paxi

I got it off Amazon for the ‘’sale’’ price. Can’t wait to play Cyberpunk on it. And yeah I will let you know how it compares to my TV as my TV when it was released is supposed to be the best HDR TV and this is by far the best monitor for HDR. I don’t think the image quality will match a LG OLED, but it’s close as you can get to OLED picture quality on a monitor.
Yeah I'm wondering in regards to clarity, sharpness more than anything else. Remember I wouldn't play Ghost of Tsushima because its was only 1440p.

You should calibrate it now, considering the outlay, and I'm sure the image quality will be even better than that of an OLED.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If anyone sees the 3070/3080 FE come back in stock give me a shout. Don't want to pay over RRP so willing to wait.