Gaming Building a gaming PC

Dante

Average bang
Does anyone have fresh links to those discord channels?
Ah! Sorry @Player Red

I was able to create an invite link for you for one of them:
https://discord.gg/pbFemuzd

For the other, the link becomes available if you sign up to this site:
https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-amd-radeon-rx-6000-series
They seem to be working.

For the first one, it's an invite link. For the second, you have to sign up to the site and an invite link is provided to you.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They seem to be working.

For the first one, it's an invite link. For the second, you have to sign up to the site and an invite link is provided to you.
Nice one, cheers.

Seems options are limited here in Ireland going by the sites it pops up on. F*cking brexit, man.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I already have this to check my CPU temps. Where can I check how much wattage I'm drawing at full load?
I've not got my PC set up atm so cannot say exactly, but I'm sure it has a section in there.
Under CPU, look for Power.

Play a game for however long and it'll tell you your max and average.
I'd start the game up, run it for 5mins, tab out, reset your HWINFO stats with the clock bottom right, then check your averages after a while

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I've not got my PC set up atm so cannot say exactly, but I'm sure it has a section in there.
Under CPU, look for Power.

Play a game for however long and it'll tell you your max and average.
I'd start the game up, run it for 5mins, tab out, reset your HWINFO stats with the clock bottom right, then check your averages after a while
Okay I'll try that, cheers.

Dante

Average bang
Hardware Unboxed had this graph on one of their Youtube videos today:

(Prices in Aussie Dollars)

It takes into account actual prices on eBay rather than MSRPs. It's only for 1440p but it is across a suite of recent games. I thought it was quite interesting for working out the current state of the best value cards.

Last edited:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So I've come a long way from when I started this thread around 3 years ago, but here's my setup!

And in case you like Fallout :lol: @Vault Dweller. Here's the rest of my room

Player Red

So I've come a long way from when I started this thread around 3 years ago, but here's my setup!

That's amazing. You need to submit it on pcpartpicker.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

That's incredible. Great job.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Ohhhhhhh wow :drool: :drool: mate that is spectacular!! I may have just nerd-gasmed.

Dante

Average bang

Apparently, AMD gpus work better than NVidia gpus when playing games that are cpu limited. It won't affect me too much because I'll probably upgrade in a couple of years. But for anybody hoping to use their cards for 4 years or more, it's a big factor.

tl;dr an old 5700XT can 20-30% faster than a brand new RTX3090 when limited by a Ryzen 5 2600X platform(!). This could explain why AMD gpus tend to age better as more cpu demanding games are released.

Dante

Average bang
Anybody using an RTX3090 and 2600x needs shooting to be fair :lol:
In 2021, yes. But a few years from now as games become more demanding on cpus it could have real world implications.

In 2024, a 3060TI/Ryzen 5 3600 combo would potentially perform worse than a RX6700/ Ryzen 5 3600 on GTA7.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
How much would I need to spend on a pc to be play all latest titles at good quality? I've been out the pc game for a long time.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How much would I need to spend on a pc to be play all latest titles at good quality? I've been out the pc game for a long time.
Right now I wouldn't even bother. Prices are hyper inflated and everything is sold out. Wait til later in the year. Usually the answer to that question is around 600-700 for a decent PC tower.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
this gpu situation is impossible. been stalking places for a 3080/6800xt for a minute now and can't find anything even half reasonable.

willing to spend up to 900 so if anyone got a tip or can help a brother out, i will pray for your health and prosperity. maybe a 50 quid tip!

Woodzy

I’m looking for x2 3090 cards for my work and it’s been a nightmare. Hopefully things go back to normal relatively soon.

Bosws87

Think one of my ram sticks may of just died out of the blue, blue screen in the middle of a game and now memory management errors within 10 mins of being on the desktop :mad:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

That's amazing mate.

Paxi

In 2021, yes. But a few years from now as games become more demanding on cpus it could have real world implications.

In 2024, a 3060TI/Ryzen 5 3600 combo would potentially perform worse than a RX6700/ Ryzen 5 3600 on GTA7.
How bold of you to thing GTA7 will be out in 3 years.

Bosws87

Computer working fine now i've isolated the broken ram stick, never had that before came out of the blue pretty much.

I did see a slight freeze in loading up a game in the past few days, but i didnt even consider it was one of my ram sticks coming to its death.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
this gpu situation is impossible. been stalking places for a 3080/6800xt for a minute now and can't find anything even half reasonable.

willing to spend up to 900 so if anyone got a tip or can help a brother out, i will pray for your health and prosperity. maybe a 50 quid tip!
I ended up with a 3070 fe paired with my 5900x and it annihilates everything don’t think I’ll bother upgrading now, Breezes everything at 1440p maybe worth considering?

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I ended up with a 3070 fe paired with my 5900x and it annihilates everything don’t think I’ll bother upgrading now, Breezes everything at 1440p maybe worth considering?
I've got a 3070 too and tbf I'm very happy with it playing at 1440p, just a bit wary of its' video memory capacity as it'd suck if I'm having to dial down settings sooner rather than later - albiet from ultra to high or something - after having paid over msrp as it is.

Adamsk7

Yeah I think these 30 series cards are pretty amazing. Gigabyte 3060Ti Gaming OC here and like the above posts, I’m smashing very high/ultra at 1440p (albeit on a 60hz monitor so I’ve capped the GPU at 60fps). With DLSS on its even better and barely breaks a sweat

JP77

Didn't want to start a seperate thread and was just looking for some help and advice.

Looking to get a new laptop as my current one is ridiculously old and struggles to run even basic stuff now. Don't mind picking up a used one as new ones are going to be way out of my price range. I'm looking for one that can run the basics well but also one that will be able to run World Of Warcraft. Not fussed about any other games as I don't do any gaming on laptop/PC outside of WOW. Just looking for something that can run it without any issues, not fussed about running it at top settings or anything.

Issue is my budget. 200-300 budget, is it possible to get something that can run the game for that price? (Again, used of course, or is there anything cheap around the 300-350 mark new that could pull it off?) Any advice appreciated.

Bosws87

The downfall of buying a prebuilt so you could get hold of a 3080, one dead ram stick computer running fine since removed wont send me replacement stick to put in which is a 30 second job need to ship off my pc so they can test it and solve it themselves :rolleyes:

Bojan11

The downfall of buying a prebuilt so you could get hold of a 3080, one dead ram stick computer running fine since removed wont send me replacement stick to put in which is a 30 second job need to ship off my pc so they can test it and solve it themselves :rolleyes:
Which retailer?

Bosws87

Which retailer?
Aria local Manchester company subsite called gladiator pc's for their pre builts.

I can understand why they do it as pre builts cater towards inexperienced pc users but ringing up this morning explaining the issue was like being talked to like i was 10 years old and it was impossible i could solve it myself.

Last advice was update the bios and try again like the magical stick of ram which i have tried in multiple slots on their own would suddenly start working again even though the other stick of the same ram works fine in all slots.

it did nothing surprise, surprise.

Paxi

When are we expecting the stock in gpu’s to normalise and prices to go down closer to msrp? Surely this cannot go on?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
When are we expecting the stock in gpu’s to normalise and prices to go down closer to msrp? Surely this cannot go on?
If you're talking about what was announced in sep-nov, it's not even at the apex of how bad it will get as announcing the new non-mineable set of cards has only driven up the value of the mineable cards as they are *the* defacto affordable mineable cards for a generation now. 3090's are going to break 3k barriers some point down the line when they are gold dust, imo.

3080's obviously next in line and the more affordable choice for most making them the most desirable card of the lot.

I think the non-mineable cards are going to be hit with swathes of non-miners who can't source their most-wanted card currently, which will drive that market up exponentially.

Until the cards are readily sourceable, the prices will be nowhere near msrp. With the shortages of base materials and demand outstripping supply to such an extreme, there won't be a 'normal' any time soon, imo.

Bojan11

If you're talking about what was announced in sep-nov, it's not even at the apex of how bad it will get as announcing the new non-mineable set of cards has only driven up the value of the mineable cards as they are *the* defacto affordable mineable cards for a generation now. 3090's are going to break 3k barriers some point down the line when they are gold dust, imo.

3080's obviously next in line and the more affordable choice for most making them the most desirable card of the lot.

I think the non-mineable cards are going to be hit with swathes of non-miners who can't source their most-wanted card currently, which will drive that market up exponentially.

Until the cards are readily sourceable, the prices will be nowhere near msrp. With the shortages of base materials and demand outstripping supply to such an extreme, there won't be a 'normal' any time soon, imo.
Have you got yours?

It's not just miners, I think a lot people have spare time obviously due to circumstances and are doing more gaming than normal. So everything from consoles and PC GPU manufacturer is struggling. There are also a lot of casuals who are going down the PC gaming route because they watch their favourite streamers playing on them. Let's not forget the great price point for all the cards, when they aren't scalped. Even without the pandemic, they would have struggled to meet demand with those prices for at least 3-4 months.

I think by the summer, it should calm down, which is crazy as it will be about one year since these cards were announced then.

@iluvoursolskjær stick with your 3070 unless you magically find a 3080 for retail price. Even then, there's a rumoured 3080 ti coming out next month. The card you got currently is more than good enough for the next few years as most games will be cross gen. It's only when next gen only games come out that maybe you will need to dial down the setting, but that's if you game at 4k. 3070 should be more than good enough for 3 years that you wanted. If you want a 3080 though, then wait and see how much they charging for the TI version. It was rumoured to come with 20 GB VRAM, but now the latest rumours suggest 12 and the price will be $999.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Have you got yours?

It's not just miners, I think a lot people have spare time obviously due to circumstances and are doing more gaming than normal. So everything from consoles and PC GPU manufacturer is struggling. There are also a lot of casuals who are going down the PC gaming route because they watch their favourite streamers playing on them. Let's not forget the great price point for all the cards, when they aren't scalped. Even without the pandemic, they would have struggled to meet demand with those prices for at least 3-4 months.

I think by the summer, it should calm down, which is crazy as it will be about one year since these cards were announced then.

@iluvoursolskjær stick with your 3070 unless you magically find a 3080 for retail price. Even then, there's a rumoured 3080 ti coming out next month. The card you got currently is more than good enough for the next few years as most games will be cross gen. It's only when next gen only games come out that maybe you will need to dial down the setting, but that's if you game at 4k. 3070 should be more than good enough for 3 years that you wanted. If you want a 3080 though, then wait and see how much they charging for the TI version. It was rumoured to come with 20 GB VRAM, but now the latest rumours suggest 12 and the price will be $999.
If you mean from scan, nope.

No doubt casuals etc are a factor, as we see with the next gen consoles, but the market values are being set by what the companies tell us and driven accordingly - when they announced the mining issue, all mining cards went up, what? £200+ over 24-48hrs? With the 3090's going up even more.

The new cards will still be hot ticket items, but mining cards are going to get hotter the scarcer they become.

I think you're incredibly optimistic with normalisation by summer - unless production is upped massively, of course.