Gaming Building a gaming PC

Bojan11

If you mean from scan, nope.

No doubt casuals etc are a factor, as we see with the next gen consoles, but the market values are being set by what the companies tell us and driven accordingly - when they announced the mining issue, all mining cards went up, what? £200+ over 24-48hrs? With the 3090's going up even more.

The new cards will still be hot ticket items, but mining cards are going to get hotter the scarcer they become.

I think you're incredibly optimistic with normalisation by summer - unless production is upped massively, of course.
You better off just going for the TI, if you haven't got yours. That's also going to have a mining limiter, but I don't think that's going to put off miners considering the latest developments

Last month, NVIDIA proclaimed that its new RTX 3060 GPU would detect mining workloads and automatically reduce efficiency to make the cards undesirable for miners. This announcement came ahead of word that NVIDIA would be offering headless mining-specific GPUs. It would appear that most of that has now gone out the window with today’s news that using the GeForce 470.05 driver bypasses the mining limiter on RTX 3060 cards.

The GeForce 470.05 driver is distributed to developers under the Windows Insider Program. Its ability to allow the new NVIDIA GPUs to mine Ethereum at full efficiency is yet another gut punch to PC gamers hoping to score a new graphics card this year.
I know Nvidia helped them. But it was only a matter of time before they bypassed it themselves.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I was considering waiting on the 3080ti @Bojan11 but I'm just not confident in how available it's going to be. Even stores are in on scalping at the moment with the one's I've seen at stock around £1200! Curry's are the only UK shop with anything close to msrp but they belong to the bots, gone before your page can even refresh and it doesn't help that they release at almost the same time every other night [3-4am]. Scan of course have the backlog and are supposedly asking some customers to cancel orders, because I presume there's a bidding war going on behind the scenes for whatever stock is coming in so preorders taken at launch price is no longer feasible.

All these things considered, unless I get incredibly lucky it will probably cost a lot more no matter the card I go for :(

You did tell me however that the 3070 is good enough to play at my resolution for the next few years so that alleviates my worries about the vram. I think after tasting the performance of these cards I just want more and more :wenger:

That whole mining cap thing was probably just a marketing thing to make it look like they care about gamers, when they don't. They are loving seeing the prices of their products sky rocket.

Dante

Average bang
When are we expecting the stock in gpu’s to normalise and prices to go down closer to msrp? Surely this cannot go on?
Next year at some point.

Not only is there a shortage for today, there's also been a building up of unfulfilled demand up to this point. Basically, you'll need to wait until nVidia and AMD get their shit together and then double that amount of time.

Bojan11

I was considering waiting on the 3080ti @Bojan11 but I'm just not confident in how available it's going to be. Even stores are in on scalping at the moment with the one's I've seen at stock around £1200! Curry's are the only UK shop with anything close to msrp but they belong to the bots, gone before your page can even refresh and it doesn't help that they release at almost the same time every other night [3-4am]. Scan of course have the backlog and are supposedly asking some customers to cancel orders, because I presume there's a bidding war going on behind the scenes for whatever stock is coming in so preorders taken at launch price is no longer feasible.

All these things considered, unless I get incredibly lucky it will probably cost a lot more no matter the card I go for :(

You did tell me however that the 3070 is good enough to play at my resolution for the next few years so that alleviates my worries about the vram. I think after tasting the performance of these cards I just want more and more :wenger:

That whole mining cap thing was probably just a marketing thing to make it look like they care about gamers, when they don't. They are loving seeing the prices of their products sky rocket.

Yeah, they don't give a toss about that. They claim that they released the drivers by accident, but it wouldn't surprise me if their employees are in on it too.

Scan are useless. Fortitude ordered from them in September and still has not got his. I got my 3090 after three months despite them telling me it's going to come in September. Then after that, they decided to change their policy and only sell stock that they had in their warehouse.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I'm willing to buy even a 3090 at retail price, but this discord stock informer is just helping the bots win. Every 3090 card released on currys at 3-4am in the morning is gone within 1 second....what a joke.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm willing to buy even a 3090 at retail price, but this discord stock informer is just helping the bots win. Every 3090 card released on currys at 3-4am in the morning is gone within 1 second....what a joke.
You can't buy a card from Curry's unless you're *extremely* lucky, or are using a bot yourself. Literally. So probably best to mentally discard them as a site as they have been utterly compromised and are doing absolutely nothing to fend off an organisation/team who are basically using them as their personal wholesalers.

Pscholes18

Nice machines....I like that last one but not sure I want to spend as much. That site legit?

Also been out of the pc game for awhile, these days should I go with AMD or stick with Intel?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nice machines....I like that last one but not sure I want to spend as much. That site legit?

Also been out of the pc game for awhile, these days should I go with AMD or stick with Intel?
Newegg are as legit as they come. I remember building my first PC watching their tutorial videos - it was a guy who did a few videos with that Linus Tech Tools squeaky guy.

Exit: holy shit their trustpilot score has reeeaaallly taken a dive. Wonder what's happened, if anything?!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

It's legit, but apparently, a one man operation. So in exchange for the cheap prices, you might get not the best customer service.

This is where I saw that deal:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14859877-g...0-max-p-win10h-1551-03-f-s?page=4#commentsBox

Read the comments for more info.

I would recommend you to check this site daily for the best laptop deals: https://slickdeals.net/laptop-deals/?sortby=newest&page=1

The latest ryzen cpu are better than Intel. More powerful and less power-hungry. The problem is that there are not many gaming laptop models carrying them yet.

Woodzy

Got hold of two 3090s this morning. They are from different manufactures so my questions now are:

Will they work fine together?
Will they fit my motherboard (MSI Z170A Gaming M5)?
Will my PSU cope with them (EVGA Supernova 850 W Gold G2)?
Is there anything else I need to sort to run them both together?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Got hold of two 3090s this morning. They are from different manufactures so my questions now are:

No no no no no

Send me on one instead.

mitChley

Two? Why on earth would you need two? If you are heavily into video processing at an industrial level then it might be worth it, if not get rid of one.

You could probably SLI them fine, there might be issues with speeds but from a quick google it looks OK, not many games support SLI though.
They should fit in the motherboard, how they will perform will I'm not sure, I don't know much a lot slots and channel speeds as never had to learn.
No your PSU will not cope, one 3090 alone with a modern chipset needs 850W, looking online people say 1000W might be able to, but recommend 1200.

Woodzy

Two? Why on earth would you need two? If you are heavily into video processing at an industrial level then it might be worth it, if not get rid of one.

You could probably SLI them fine, there might be issues with speeds but from a quick google it looks OK, not many games support SLI though.
They should fit in the motherboard, how they will perform will I'm not sure, I don't know much a lot slots and channel speeds as never had to learn.
No your PSU will not cope, one 3090 alone with a modern chipset needs 850W, looking online people say 1000W might be able to, but recommend 1200.
Thanks all!

I work in CGI, which is heavily reliant on GPU for rendering and more recently some of my FX work. So having two should be the difference between things going from taking weeks to complete to days.

Will my 850w cope with just one? My first should be arriving tomorrow, which will give me some time to decide whether I fancy the hassle of another one and having to upgrade my PSU.

I haven't opened my case up for 5 years, and i'm having occasionally blue screens due to memory issues so i'm dreading what's going on inside. Speaking of the case, making sure 1 of these cards will fit let alone 2 is another issue i'm going to have!

mitChley

Thanks all!

I work in CGI, which is heavily reliant on GPU for rendering and more recently some of my FX work. So having two should be the difference between things going from taking weeks to complete to days.

Will my 850w cope with just one? My first should be arriving tomorrow, which will give me some time to decide whether I fancy the hassle of another one and having to upgrade my PSU.

I haven't opened my case up for 5 years, and i'm having occasionally blue screens due to memory issues so i'm dreading what's going on inside. Speaking of the case, making sure 1 of these cards will fit let alone 2 is another issue i'm going to have!
Depends on what CPU you have:

Remember you'll need to order an NVLink to use the two cards together.
Also measure in your case, and check if they will fit. I wouldn't be surprised if a case more than 5 years old might not fit one in.

Woodzy

Depends on what CPU you have:

Remember you'll need to order an NVLink to use the two cards together.
Also measure in your case, and check if they will fit. I wouldn't be surprised if a case more than 5 years old might not fit one in.
Ahh looks like i'm good as I have an i7.

Done some googling and it looks like the cards should fit in my Fractal Define R5, but there's potential for the hard drive bays to be in the way. Since i'm only using two bays atm, I think I should be okay.

Upgrading PCs is such a pain in the arse, just too much to think about. I am thinking about pulling the plug on my second GPU order though and just updating the rest of my hardware for now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thanks all!

Have you actually measured the space in your case and on your motherboard as well as the size of these cards? These cards are a size like nothing that's been seen before, so to fit two into SLI slots is going to be some feat, probably one most old motherboards simply cannot manage.

Woodzy

Have you actually measured the space in your case and on your motherboard as well as the size of these cards? These cards are a size like nothing that's been seen before, so to fit two into SLI slots is going to be some feat, probably one most old motherboards simply cannot manage.
Haven't done any of that yet. PC Part Picker says one should be compatible with my motherboard and fit in my case with the exception that I will have to remove hard drive bays (from what I remember, the rack is installed so I shouldn't need this).

Two is probably clutching at straws and although part picker only flagged the PSU as being the main issue with it only being 850w i'm not hopefully about it without

I can't do any proper measuring yet because i've got work on all day, but if all goes to plan my first card will arrive tomorrow and I can have a play then. I'm hoping my worst case scenario is that I just have to cancel my second card order since it's not essential.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haven't done any of that yet. PC Part Picker says one should be compatible with my motherboard and fit in my case with the exception that I will have to remove hard drive bays (from what I remember, the rack is installed so I shouldn't need this).

Two is probably clutching at straws and although part picker only flagged the PSU as being the main issue with it only being 850w i'm not hopefully about it without

I can't do any proper measuring yet because i've got work on all day, but if all goes to plan my first card will arrive tomorrow and I can have a play then. I'm hoping my worst case scenario is that I just have to cancel my second card order since it's not essential.
I have a Corsair 900D super tower case and a single card just about fits in length wise, and the housing inside there is massive! There's zero chance my mobo could SLI two cards because the case of one is covering 3 slots!

You've also got to factor in ventilation.

I'll be amazed if you can get two 3090's into a single case and older mobo.

iluvoursolskjær

legit just actually missed a 6800xt from currys at less than 800, in the basket, available for delivery to my address so none of the glitchy shit where you can only pick it up at a store nowhere near you, but was caught up in the current events forum and having something to eat so hand was messy, took too long to checkout...

I give up. Will just stick to the 3070 forever and ever.

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

Just saw this thread pop up. Built a new PC a few weeks ago actually. Stopped gaming a long time ago and I've been using integrated graphics ever since. Bought a Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G which is probably the best in that department and wasn't easy to find online as it isn't available at retail. Splashed out on the RAM instead and got myself 64 GB CL16 from Corsair.

iluvoursolskjær

I picked up 3600mhz c16 from ballistix last week but it failed memory diagnostics after i noticed it actually made performance worse, so backed it and went for corsair's rgb pro 3200mhz c16. Damn I had no idea how much my previous ram sticks - which were 2400mhz but different brands so had to run them at 2133 c16 to be stable - were bottlenecking games. My mobo is locked to 2666 but i managed to reduce timings to c14 after upping voltage to 1.3 and it's raised average frames by more or less 20 across the board and cured micro stutters i used to get at those 1% lows.

I'm less bothered about upgrading my i5 8400 now so dont mind waiting for next gen cpu's.

Castia

Starting a new build spread over the course of the next few months

Just ordered my case the Lian Li Lancool 215 and a few RGB fans to go with it, will order a cpu (Ryzen 5 5600x) and motherboard in the coming weeks. I'm keeping a look out for gpu's and would really like a RTX 3070 (or a 3060 ti tbh if one becomes available) but it's looking impossible at the minute.

Currently sitting on a gtx1070 and i5-5600k setup.

Castia

What does a £1000 get you these days in terms of a PC build?

If stock wasn't a issue (which it very much is) and everything was rrp you'd get a pretty decent pc. You could easily pair a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 3060ti with a 1TB ssd it would smash most games with decent frame rates (1440p)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
scan gave up on getting that TUF to me and instead offered a replacement card from a selection they said they had small quantities of. The difference paid would be at today's market values and not the MSRP of the card at the time I purchased my TUF! If you didn't like it, tough: stay in the queue and wait for the TUF forever more. Suffice it to say I paid the difference and the card was literally with me the next day.

scan have made a hefty penny doing this as there's going to be boatloads of TUF and Strix pre-orderers who will opt out of the waiting process because there's no end in sight to the due dates.

So after almost 7 months, the issue has been resolved. I'm half saddened as I was genuinely curious to know just how long this would have taken to conclude the organic way. If you're at the back-end of the TUF or Strix queue, I reckon it could go through for a full year loop!