Other Building a PC?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah, that and the new revision of Ryzen coming out in April.
Yeah. I was planning on a Ryzen build this year but with both of those situations in mind, I think I'll stick to my i5 4590 till next year.

Why the hell are RAM prices so high anyway? Price fixing?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Why the hell are RAM prices so high anyway? Price fixing?
Smartphone production is gobbling up ram chips, production has not ramped up accordingly so far. Also the entire production is in the hands of three companies (Samsung, Micron, SK Hynix), so price fixing is likely.

Looking at price charts for ram kits on the market since ~2016 brings tears to my eyes. Prices are mostly >100% over their minimum value now, and many kits are even more expensive than the price point they had at their introduction. Absolutely shit times for buying new RAM.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'll still build a new PC some time this year, but maybe go for second hand RAM.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Processors do my head in. I assumed that i3 is not as good as i5 and 17 is best.
My desktop has a quad core Xeon and comparison websites say it beats my i3 laptop and also an i7 desktop I saw going cheap today.

CPU Mark Rating
Higher results represent better performance
Intel Xeon W3540 @ 2.93GHz 5,479
Intel Core i3-2330M @ 2.20GHz 2,524

Seems the one I have now is pretty good. Just wonder why it isn't faster.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I have a 10 year old stationary computer which is starting to give up. I have a new harddrive and cpu fan (fan isn't installed) and want to replace everything else as it either can't keep up or is starting to give up (power supply sounds like a cement mixer at times). I'm thinking that rebuilding the one I have is the better option rather than buying a whole new chassis. Can I as a somewhat noob rebuild it myself or do you need some special skills to do that?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I have a 10 year old stationary computer which is starting to give up. I have a new harddrive and cpu fan (fan isn't installed) and want to replace everything else as it either can't keep up or is starting to give up (power supply sounds like a cement mixer at times). I'm thinking that rebuilding the one I have is the better option rather than buying a whole new chassis. Can I as a somewhat noob rebuild it myself or do you need some special skills to do that?
that depends, is it pre-built?

Desktops pre-built by the big companies like Dell, HP etc. are usually intentionally done so that you can't 'replace' parts and instead have to go into them to do it.

also 10 years is a pretty long time in PC world, Mobo slots and such have changed a bit since then.

So yeah, you'd have a tough time, and anyway, the case is one of the cheapest parts of building a PC so is it really worth the pain?

Drifter

American
So I have my new computer, but there are no Windows 10 drivers for my printer.

It has been suggested that I could try Windows 8 or even 7 drivers and it might work.

What do people reckon?
Best to go with windows 8 or 8.1 drivers

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
You'll have to buy a new:-
-cpu
-motherboard
-ddr4 ram
-gpu (if required)
-psu

You can keep the old case/cabinet if it has decent ventilation. You can use the old monitor (make sure your gpu is vga compatible) and keyboard, mouse etc.

Massive Spanner

by the way it's an absolutely terrible time to build a PC so I'd avoid it if possible. RAM and GPU prices have both doubled in the last year due to demand.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
that depends, is it pre-built?

Desktops pre-built by the big companies like Dell, HP etc. are usually intentionally done so that you can't 'replace' parts and instead have to go into them to do it.

also 10 years is a pretty long time in PC world, Mobo slots and such have changed a bit since then.

So yeah, you'd have a tough time, and anyway, the case is one of the cheapest parts of building a PC so is it really worth the pain?
No it isn't pre-built, I chose all the parts when I bought it and had the company I bought it from build it. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to buy a new case but I wouldn't want to buy a new complete computer as that would be a waste of the €200 I spent on the harddrive and fan, so I guess that makes it worth the pain to build it myself. I asked the same company if they could build me a new computer without a harddrive and cpu fan but they said no for some unexplained reason. You'd think they could build 80% of a computer if they can build 100% of one, but apparently not.

by the way it's an absolutely terrible time to build a PC so I'd avoid it if possible. RAM and GPU prices have both doubled in the last year due to demand.
Yea it's not exactly cheap. But unfortunately I don't think my computer will hang on much longer, it's on its last legs.

You'll have to buy a new:-
-cpu
-motherboard
-ddr4 ram
-gpu (if required)
-psu

You can keep the old case/cabinet if it has decent ventilation. You can use the old monitor (make sure your gpu is vga compatible) and keyboard, mouse etc.
Didn't think about the gpu having to be vga compatible. Thanks!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Didn't think about the gpu having to be vga compatible. Thanks!
Im assuming your 10 year old monitor doesn't have dvi/hdmi ports, if they do then you dont need vga.

Btw my pc is 11 years old!

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Im assuming your 10 year old monitor doesn't have dvi/hdmi ports, if they do then you dont need vga.

Btw my pc is 11 years old!
No you're right, it's vga.

We all know that if you replace your computer more than once a decade you're not doing it right. :D

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m hoping that it leads to another golden era of hardware development though with chip companies reinvesting their profits. It stagnated a little after a flourish during the height of PC Gaming era in the early 2000’s. Then consoles really took over and then we reached somewhere close to peak frequencies due to temperature constraints.

The next move(after the next gen which is in the pipeline taking it down to 5nm IIRC) is likely going to be towards massively parallel chips, 16/32/64/128/256+ cores. Again, something that ASIC has been leading the way with albeit with a very different architecture.

BBer13

For anyone who is looking for a decent cpu that is coupled with entry level 1080p graphics then the new AMD APU looks like a decent bargain at the moment. It features both a ryzen processor coupled with vega graphics to give an all in one chip. Couple that with 8gb of Ram and it isn't bad value at all for anyone who does very light gaming and needs there PC for more office/work related tasks.Normally im not a fan of APU's but with the price of graphics cards being so high, this makes sense for anyone who doesn't need the power of a dedicated card.

Drifter

American
No good, not even a Windows 7 driver available.
What is the name and model number of your printer. It might come down to you purchasing another printer .Prices are cheap for inkjet printers and black and white laser printers

Drifter

American
Epson EPL5900L - The bread bin of printers:

I'm afraid it's time to bite the bullet and let this printer go. The last driver update for this was 2002 .The only solution is to revert your windows 10 back to Windows 7 .

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Very few graphics cards and mainboards still come with a vga port, but not to worry, one of those

will sort you out.
Ah, seeing that picture made me realise that I mixed up the names of the ports. I have dvi, not vga. Not that it matters but just wanted right to be right as we say over here. Did I mention that I'm a bit of a noob?.. :nervous:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ah, seeing that picture made me realise that I mixed up the names of the ports. I have dvi, not vga. Not that it matters but just wanted right to be right as we say over here. Did I mention that I'm a bit of a noob?.. :nervous:
Good, in that case you should be fine no matter what you get :)

Btw, for all of you with old PCs and limited need for gaming capabilies, AMD hast just released its latest CPU+GPU combo processors, the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G. They are capable of playing popular current MMOs at 720 to 1080p with somewhat reduced settings (obliterating the performance of Intel's integrated GPUs), while also doing office work and rendering stuff on the level of Intel's current i3 8000 to i5 8000 levels.
The only thing going against getting those parts right now is RAM pricing.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I was looking at building my first desktop gaming pc but with the mad prices i've been told a prebuilt might be a better solution. In that case, could anyone give me some advice on what i should be looking at getting? I'd like to play new games at decent fps, i've been playing a lot of World of Warcraft recently and that'll probably continue with the new expansion coming later this year. For WoW in particular, i've heard a strong CPU is needed. So say i want to spend less than a grand, preferably somewhere like £750 what sort of thing should i be looking for?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I was looking at building my first desktop gaming pc but with the mad prices i've been told a prebuilt might be a better solution. In that case, could anyone give me some advice on what i should be looking at getting? I'd like to play new games at decent fps, i've been playing a lot of World of Warcraft recently and that'll probably continue with the new expansion coming later this year. For WoW in particular, i've heard a strong CPU is needed. So say i want to spend less than a grand, preferably somewhere like £750 what sort of thing should i be looking for?
prebuilt is never the better solution.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Good, in that case you should be fine no matter what you get :)

Btw, for all of you with old PCs and limited need for gaming capabilies, AMD hast just released its latest CPU+GPU combo processors, the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G. They are capable of playing popular current MMOs at 720 to 1080p with somewhat reduced settings (obliterating the performance of Intel's integrated GPUs), while also doing office work and rendering stuff on the level of Intel's current i3 8000 to i5 8000 levels.
The only thing going against getting those parts right now is RAM pricing.
Im waiting for the upcoming new i5's.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Im waiting for the upcoming new i5's.
There's no immediately upcoming new i5s, the 8000 series (Coffee Lake) is rather recent. Rumor has it that the successor (Cannon Lake) is reduced to 2-core ultramobile parts only, due to the new 10nm manufacturing which is not yet running smoothly.
On top of that, Intel is yet to release affordable chipsets for their current 8000 series processor lineup. All in all, if your application profile is office, light to medium productivity, and some gaming, you're not finding anything better than AMD's Raven Ridge APUs right now.

Massive Spanner

Considering how minimal the difference is in performance with each new Intel generation it's hardly worth waiting anyway.

The 7600k is only about 25% more powerful than the 3570k.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's a work of art. Shame photos don't do it justice. Just the CPU left..

Have the same case
Built it last summer for £1070, using a 1200p monitor

ryzen 1600 6 core 3.2ghz
asus 1060 6gb expedition
corsair 16gb 3000mhz ram
500gb samsung ssd
3tb toshiba hd

probably should have bought a 1070 considering the prices these days

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Have the same case
Built it last summer for £1070, using a 1200p monitor

ryzen 1600 6 core 3.2ghz
asus 1060 6gb expedition
corsair 16gb 3000mhz ram
500gb samsung ssd
3tb toshiba hd

probably should have bought a 1070 considering the prices these days
Quality, similar to mine. I'm thinking of getting an LG ultrawide monitor later this year.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There's no immediately upcoming new i5s, the 8000 series (Coffee Lake) is rather recent. Rumor has it that the successor (Cannon Lake) is reduced to 2-core ultramobile parts only, due to the new 10nm manufacturing which is not yet running smoothly.
On top of that, Intel is yet to release affordable chipsets for their current 8000 series processor lineup. All in all, if your application profile is office, light to medium productivity, and some gaming, you're not finding anything better than AMD's Raven Ridge APUs right now.
Considering how minimal the difference is in performance with each new Intel generation it's hardly worth waiting anyway.

The 7600k is only about 25% more powerful than the 3570k.
Intel will be releasing Ice lake this year. I'll like to skip coffee lake and cannon lake, because the former is a rehashed version of earlier versions, i believe they've used the same 14nm architecture for the past 4-5 iterations since 2014 and ive only read bad things about cannon lake. I intend to game aswell and the games i play usually perform better with cpu's that have higher per core speeds than the number of cores. I dont think there are many games that utilize more than 4 cores ?

Im one of those people who intend to run there pc's for a decade, for that to succeed i cant use cpu's that are old or rehashed with some tweaks here and there. My current pc cpu was built on 65nm architecture, i bought that in 2007. By 2008 intel had 45nm cpu's, then next year they had 32nm cpu's, then 22nm cpu's in 2013. In 2014 intel launched 14nm cpu's and since then they've been rehashing the same with minor improvements.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ice lake is likely to slip through to 2019.

Right now there's indeed only a select few of games utilizing more than 4 cores/threads. However, frame-to-frame variance is often lower on 6 and 8 core (12/16 threads with multithreading) parts, so it's not a bad idea to go for at least six cores when getting a new PC which will be used for 4-5 years.
The slow down in manufacturing is down to the fast approach of hard physical limits to miniaturization. The traditional lithographic methods get to smaller structures by using shorter wavelength light, but manufacturing cost is getting more and more expensive in doing so.

Last edited: