Other Building a PC?

Marcelinho87

So, this is my current setup:

x99 Mobo
CPU: i7 5820k
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 16gb DDR4 @ 3000Mhz

Monitor: Crossover 27" 1440p IPS overclocked at 100hz

What should I look to upgrade first?? I am thinking monitor as I have seen this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC...sr=8-8&keywords=samsung+curved+gaming+monitor

Now I know it is a freesync monitor and my GPU is a nvidia card but... I don't see the value in paying an extra £200-300 just for the Nvidia version. As it stands the monitor would be a 144hz 32" curved 1ms and that is pretty damn good for the price.

Any recommendations etc?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

x99 Mobo

What should I look to upgrade first?? I am thinking monitor as I have seen this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC...sr=8-8&keywords=samsung+curved+gaming+monitor

Now I know it is a freesync monitor and my GPU is a nvidia card but... I don't see the value in paying an extra £200-300 just for the Nvidia version. As it stands the monitor would be a 144hz 32" curved 1ms and that is pretty damn good for the price.

Any recommendations etc?
Would you like my old PC?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

x99 Mobo

Any recommendations etc?
Why do you feel the need to upgrade? Something not running as it should?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

x99 Mobo

Any recommendations etc?
Why do you need a 144hz monitor ? How much fps are you getting while gaming ?

Without freesync you'd be fecked unless your gpu consistently give you 144 fps, in other words now you know why you should have bought amd/ati cards :angel:

Marcelinho87

Why do you need a 144hz monitor ? How much fps are you getting while gaming ?

Without freesync you'd be fecked unless your gpu consistently give you 144 fps, in other words now you know why you should have bought amd/ati cards :angel:
I don't need it I just want it. I consistently push higher FPS than 60 though and more often that not prioritize FPS over looks.

I would probs settle on a 60hz equivalent if you know one?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I don't need it I just want it. I consistently push higher FPS than 60 though and more often that not prioritize FPS over looks.

I would probs settle on a 60hz equivalent if you know one?
If you're an FPS > looks kind of player, a 60Hz monitor certainly isn't for you, especially when coming from 100 Hz.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I've been playing 60hz and I just can't get to the same levels as I used to play competitive with high frequency monitors. It's fine if you're not playing shooters though.

Marcelinho87

Exactly, I play a LOT of Battlefield 1 and I am just so used to playing it at a high framerate.

The above monitor I know I wouldn't get close to 144hz in a lot of games but I would pretty much be getting 80+ in most games.

As for g and free sync I couldn't give a toss about it.

If I am hitting 80 I will cap the game at 80 via RTSS

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Btw, for the ones interested in budget gaming:

There's quite a lot more to be found on youtube dealing with AMD's 2200G and 2400G processors, worth a look (both the videos and the parts ;) )

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Btw, for the ones interested in budget gaming:

There's quite a lot more to be found on youtube dealing with AMD's 2200G and 2400G processors, worth a look (both the videos and the parts ;) )
Ive heard good things about these processors. Although in cpu performance the i3 is still ahead by a small margin but in gpu performance these amd chips are miles ahead of intels integrated graphics in i3's.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ive heard good things about these processors. Although in cpu performance the i3 is still ahead by a small margin but in gpu performance these amd chips are miles ahead of intels integrated graphics in i3's.
I'd go so far as saying that whenever you want to do anything, the tiniest little thing, with your PC apart from pure text and table based office stuff, the AMD apus are the way to go. Platform prices are currently better with AMD too, but offset by the need for faster RAM if you want to get the best performance out of the system.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
So my HDD stopped being recognized, however I can see that it still has power. I bought a new HDD and I'm hoping that doesn't work either and it's the motherboard that's gone so it'll give me a nice excuse to get a new mobo and CPU. Anyone know some of the best mobo's out there currently? Would like to have a browse.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So my HDD stopped being recognized, however I can see that it still has power. I bought a new HDD and I'm hoping that doesn't work either and it's the motherboard that's gone so it'll give me a nice excuse to get a new mobo and CPU. Anyone know some of the best mobo's out there currently? Would like to have a browse.
Depends on the CPU are getting, if you spend a decent amount you can get a good motherboard from any of the big hitters(gigabyte, Asus, Msi etc) .

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was looking for a bit of advice from all you lovely knowledgeable folk: I built my PC in 14, and have an i5-3350 on an MSI LGA1155 Intel H77 motherboard. Rest is okay, decent RAM, decent SSD.

I want to upgrade my gfx card (GTX 960) potentially do the 2060 when it eventually emerges, but more likely to a 1070 Ti or similar.

Question is this: is there no point in upping the GPU with this old a CPU? And would my motherboard even support it? I do have a 550w power supply so that should be okay.

More basically: should I really be looking to just buy a ready made newer PC with a 1070 in it? Thanks for any tips!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Was looking for a bit of advice from all you lovely knowledgeable folk: I built my PC in 14, and have an i5-3350 on an MSI LGA1155 Intel H77 motherboard. Rest is okay, decent RAM, decent SSD.

I want to upgrade my gfx card (GTX 960) potentially do the 2060 when it eventually emerges, but more likely to a 1070 Ti or similar.

Question is this: is there no point in upping the GPU with this old a CPU? And would my motherboard even support it? I do have a 550w power supply so that should be okay.

More basically: should I really be looking to just buy a ready made newer PC with a 1070 in it? Thanks for any tips!
You can upgrade just the GPU and see pretty great results.

A better CPU will be useful for certain games, but for the 99.9% its the GPU what limits you.

Upgrading the whole rig gonna be quite expensive. New motherboard, DDR4 memory (expensive as feck) and a new CPU, etc, gonna cost you a lot.

If i were you, i would just get the best GPU i could afford, and replace the rest of the parts in the future, if needed.

BBer13

you may see some loss in performance with that cpu and gpu pairing, depends really on what sort of games you will be playing and at what resolution. The simplest upgrade is putting in a i7-3770 into your motherboard but i dont fully know how expensive they are now and how much more performance you will get.

It kind of comes down to your budget and how serious you are about upgrading it, if the money was there i would suggest going for a AMD ryzen build as it would be a good upgrade on your current cpu and would offer a decent upgrade path on the am4 socket. An am4 motherboard will set you back around £100 for a decent b450 board, first generation ryzen 5 are around 120 and another 120-140 for a 16gb ddr4 ram kit. I would almost always recommend buying your parts and building it yourself rather than buying a prebuilt,unless you find an amazing deal that is.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

The motherboard has no problem with newer cards at all, PCI express 3.0 is still the current standard.
I'm still on an even older i5 2400 but have a substantially faster card, so yes, you can certainly profit from the faster graphics card in the vast majority of games. Only extremely few titles are so heavily CPU bound that you wouldn't get better performance.
So if you don't want to go for the completely new PC, a new graphics card will already give you improved performance and/or headroom to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Awesome thanks all. Another win for the caf :) am waiting to see how the 2070 performs before making a decision

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Yes.

Just buy the graphics card. You can upgrade the rest down the line.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just wondering if anyone knows a solution to this.

I'm looking to sell my PC and I'd like to wipe it clean but keep all the drivers so that everything works fine for the next owner as soon as they boot it up. I can't find the driver disks I got with it either which is a problem.

Have heard of SysPrep but not sure what it does.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Unless your hardware is decades old! you shouldn't have a problem finding the relevant drivers after a quick google.

pocco

loco
Unless your hardware is decades old! you shouldn't have a problem finding the relevant drivers after a quick google.
Thanks mate, only just seen this now.

It's not old, about a year or two. I found the driver disks now so it should be fine. My next question is how do I wipe it back to original without having to reinstall windows? My PC didn't come with a copy of Windows and I think I might have a sale on it now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

It's not old, about a year or two. I found the driver disks now so it should be fine. My next question is how do I wipe it back to original without having to reinstall windows? My PC didn't come with a copy of Windows and I think I might have a sale on it now.
Depending on the make of the pc you can usually hit one of the f keys during boot up and it gives you a recovery menu

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

If you installed windows yourself then just format everything and re-install windows or if you created a restore point just after installing windows and just restore to that point. If it came pre-installed then hit one of the functions keys when you start your pc.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Further to my earlier post, if there is no option doing it that way, I think windows 10 let's you create a bootable USB or disc too

pocco

loco
Further to my earlier post, if there is no option doing it that way, I think windows 10 let's you create a bootable USB or disc too
If you installed windows yourself then just format everything and re-install windows or if you created a restore point just after installing windows and just restore to that point. If it came pre-installed then hit one of the functions keys when you start your pc.
Ok cheers fellas. Windows 10 came pre installed so it looks like it's the boot up option.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ok cheers fellas. Windows 10 came pre installed so it looks like it's the boot up option.
You can still reinstall windows yourself. Write down your licence key and download the windows 10 usb installer off the microsoft website. It’s really very easy.

buckooo1978

would anyone have a guide they recommend

I'd love to build a pc as a project with my kids

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
would anyone have a guide they recommend

I'd love to build a pc as a project with my kids
There’s obviously a few dos and donts but it really is square peg round hole stuff made easier with colours. Selecting the right balance of components is the hardest bit.

BBer13

Youtube has a lot of guides for beginners, i think i would find it easier to build while following a video than reading but that's my preference. Like Pexbo said, PC building is pretty simple purchasing the right components is the hardest part for a beginner as it can be quite overwhelming.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I bought my first gaming PC this year, decided to build it myself to.
It's actually not that hard, just follow the instructions.

The worst bit for me was worrying I was being heavy handed with stuff like the GPU and CPU, yet when you watch youtube professionals, they're pretty much juggling the stuff

buckooo1978

There’s obviously a few dos and donts but it really is square peg round hole stuff made easier with colours. Selecting the right balance of components is the hardest bit.
yes might check budget and get some ideas from here