Other Building a PC?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Im waiting for Ryzen 7 3700X, it should be out by June. According to leaks its a fecking beast.

This "leak" has been around for ~3 months and is shady as feck. Don't get your hype up too much.
That said, I'm also waiting for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) and planning on building a new system on that platform.
Isn't freesync the ones designed for AMD?
Freesync is AMD's name for the VESA standardized implementation of variable refresh rate. It's open for everyone to adopt, unlike GSync.

Though it's still choppy as feck, IMO.
There is no technological drawback to it. If something's choppy, it's down to either the GPU or the particular monitor model.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This "leak" has been around for ~3 months and is shady as feck. Don't get your hype up too much.
That said, I'm also waiting for Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) and planning on building a new system on that platform.

Freesync is AMD's name for the VESA standardized implementation of variable refresh rate. It's open for everyone to adopt, unlike GSync.

There is no technological drawback to it. If something's choppy, it's down to either the GPU or the particular monitor model.
Yes some of the monitors that are Freesync have flickering and other bugs etc. Some work just fine. I've a msi monitor that works fine 99 % of the time.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Meh it’s all a bit of a gimmick for me. I didn’t even realise my monitor had it tbh, I just wanted the 144hz and 1ms input delay on a 27inch 2k monitor.
I think if it works then great. I have dual monitors that seems to go to default settings every so often. Otherwise they work great and the smoothness is a joy to experience when playing games. I mean you could have it vsync'd if you don't mind the extra lag.

Kaos

I think if it works then great. I have dual monitors that seems to go to default settings every so often. Otherwise they work great and the smoothness is a joy to experience when playing games. I mean you could have it vsync'd if you don't mind the extra lag.
Tbh v-sync had been a god send for me in my previous rigs where I’d been running 980s on a 60hz monitor :lol:

I think this is probably the first time my GPU has had to catch up with my monitor refresh threshold and not vice versa. I’ve actually had to cap my frames :)

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I have a few computer questions, not directly building one, but rather parts etc. available.

I have a limited space for a home office, which will be in a secluded part of my living room.

Due to working more and more from home, and having my own business in addition to the normal job, I've found it is time to upgrade from this fecking laptop, used whilst sitting in the couch.

I've already located a narrow type desk which I will use, since I don't want a big and dominant desk.

For a computer I've decided for one of those mini types, you can get some stuff from aliexpress that is quality (compononent for component they match the regular alternatives you get in European stores, performance wise they absolutely destroy them - for 1\3 of the price..). My reasoning for going for one of these is because I don't want a big midi-tower type thing (will fasten it under or to the side of my desktop).

I am divided when it comes to monitors, I use two at work, but I can't fit two of the size I want in a somehow estethically acceptable way in my home office.

So I've decided to go for something like a ultra-thin 28 inch monitor, a monitor I can mount directly to the wall (basically I want a big screen to sit down right in front of, and only a wireless keyboard on my narrow desktop). Having it mounted this way I can use it as a pictureframe with rotating pics when it is inactive and screensaver on as well.

Any recommendations? Both for miniature pc and monitor?

Also I've seen some sort of monitor lately where you can like mount it on the backside of the desk, so it takes no physical real estate on the actual desk? Would save me the hassle of fecking around with those anchor type plasterboard screws.

Also if anyone know of any stylish wireless keyboards and also a miniature sound system that I can integrate seamlessly I would appreciate it.

Edit: HP EliteDisplay E273q 27" QHD LED

That one looks okay?

Edit 2: Could I go with a 21:9 monitor instead perhaps? I take it windows is capable of splitting the desktop and letting you have for example exel on one half and chrome on the other half? That way I can work like with a dual monitor setup.

Also, when recommeding monitors: I never play or anything, so no need for superb refresh rates etc.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I have a few computer questions, not directly building one, but rather parts etc. available.

I have a limited space for a home office, which will be in a secluded part of my living room.

Due to working more and more from home, and having my own business in addition to the normal job, I've found it is time to upgrade from this fecking laptop, used whilst sitting in the couch.

I've already located a narrow type desk which I will use, since I don't want a big and dominant desk.

For a computer I've decided for one of those mini types, you can get some stuff from aliexpress that is quality (compononent for component they match the regular alternatives you get in European stores, performance wise they absolutely destroy them - for 1\3 of the price..). My reasoning for going for one of these is because I don't want a big midi-tower type thing (will fasten it under or to the side of my desktop).

I am divided when it comes to monitors, I use two at work, but I can't fit two of the size I want in a somehow estethically acceptable way in my home office.

So I've decided to go for something like a ultra-thin 28 inch monitor, a monitor I can mount directly to the wall (basically I want a big screen to sit down right in front of, and only a wireless keyboard on my narrow desktop). Having it mounted this way I can use it as a pictureframe with rotating pics when it is inactive and screensaver on as well.

Any recommendations? Both for miniature pc and monitor?

Also I've seen some sort of monitor lately where you can like mount it on the backside of the desk, so it takes no physical real estate on the actual desk? Would save me the hassle of fecking around with those anchor type plasterboard screws.

Also if anyone know of any stylish wireless keyboards and also a miniature sound system that I can integrate seamlessly I would appreciate it.

Edit: HP EliteDisplay E273q 27" QHD LED

That one looks okay?

Edit 2: Could I go with a 21:9 monitor instead perhaps? I take it windows is capable of splitting the desktop and letting you have for example exel on one half and chrome on the other half? That way I can work like with a dual monitor setup.

Also, when recommeding monitors: I never play or anything, so no need for superb refresh rates etc.
Check this out. https://www.lazer3d.com/

For a small form factor build you'll have to choose the case first.

littlepeasoup

Does anyone have experience with NZXT RMA? My KrakenX61 has starting playing up, but it's still under warranty and they're happy to start the returns process after I sent them a video of the god-awful noises it was making.

Check this out. https://www.lazer3d.com/

For a small form factor build you'll have to choose the case first.
Those Lazer3d cases look really smart!

Marcelinho87

Got a strange issue with my desktop atm... Can't even boot!

Gives me an error saying 'Overcurrent has been detected on USB Device.. system will shut down in 15 seconds to protect mainboardm

Sounds simple but for the life of me can't figure it out and I'm leaning towards thinking my mobo is on the way out.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

Balljy

Tried all them. Only thing left to try is to breadboard the mobo but I can't be bothered.
If you've removed the USB connectors and it still displays the message it definitely sounds like a problem with the MB itself unfortunately. Did you try and remove both the rear and front USB plugs from the motherboard?

Marcelinho87

If you've removed the USB connectors and it still displays the message it definitely sounds like a problem with the MB itself unfortunately. Did you try and remove both the rear and front USB plugs from the motherboard?
Yeah I tried removing each separately and together.

Was strange it was all working fine but I restarted it due to a driver update and it just wouldn't boot back up.

I might sell my 5820k and move over to Ryzen.

Castia

Just upgraded to a 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync.....wow it's a game changer.

I feel 1440p is the sweet spot, the resolution looks incredible whilst still being able to hit high frames.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Just upgraded to a 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync.....wow it's a game changer.

I feel 1440p is the sweet spot, the resolution looks incredible whilst still being able to hit high frames.
Not if your fps is below 100 or at least thats what ive heard.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

I was expecting better. Base should be been 4ghz and boost upto 4.8ghz. fecking rumors getting my hopes high :mad:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

I was expecting better. Base should be been 4ghz and boost upto 4.8ghz. fecking rumors getting my hopes high :mad:
Clock speeds are not everything; they state 15% uplift in per-clock-speed too. Multiply those clock speeds with 1.15 and you get where you wanted ;)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So I’m giving in on replacing a gaming laptop, and have a dilemma requiring advice from internet strangers.

My price point has me at an intel Gen 9 CPU with RTX 2070 GPU, or Gen 8 CPU with 2080. Leaning towards the 2080, but worried about future proofing with WiFi 6 on the Gen 9. Is Wi-Fi 6 a dealbreaker?

Bojan11

Joined the dark side @Redlambs

Build a PC

RTX 2080 Ti

I9-9900k

512gb/SSD

16GB Corsair DDR4 Ram

244hz Alienware AW2518H

G502 Wireless Mouse

K70 RGB MK2 keyboard

Cost me a bomb. The monitor I read is best used for online games. I’d probably play single player games on my 4k TV and multiplayer games on the monitor. I recently been playing console multiplayer games on monitors and it’s so much better at 60hz with the low input lag, so crazy to see how 244hz is going to be.

This news also means sadly @Alock1, I will most likely not be purchasing a new Xbox as all the games and game pass are on PC unless MS stop putting them on PC, which I highly doubt now they gone so far. So I will not be able to defend you against the Sony fanboys on here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Build a PC

RTX 2080 Ti

I9-9900k

512gb/SSD

16GB Corsair DDR4 Ram

244hz Alienware AW2518H

G502 Wireless Mouse

K70 RGB MK2 keyboard

Cost me a bomb. The monitor I read is best used for online games. I’d probably play single player games on my 4k TV and multiplayer games on the monitor. I recently been playing console multiplayer games on monitors and it’s so much better at 60hz with the low input lag, so crazy to see how 244hz is going to be.

This news also means sadly @Alock1, I will most likely not be purchasing a new Xbox as all the games and game pass are on PC unless MS stop putting them on PC, which I highly doubt now they gone so far. So I will not be able to defend you against the Sony fanboys on here.
What case are you using?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Build a PC

RTX 2080 Ti

I9-9900k

512gb/SSD

16GB Corsair DDR4 Ram

244hz Alienware AW2518H

G502 Wireless Mouse

K70 RGB MK2 keyboard

Why the 9900k? You get approximately the same game performance from an Ryzen 7 3700X at much lower price.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fractal Meshify S2.

Digital foundry said Intel is still better for gaming even though 3700x and 3900x have closed the gap. So went for that.
Would you recommend it? Looking for a new case.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Nice work @Bojan11

The monitor is overkill, but you are going to be very impressed with how smooth it is and when next gen hits, that machine is way ahead of the curve.

Oh and if you can afford it, Intel is better. Ryzen is good, but you might as well go all out if the cash is there ;)

Bojan11

Would you recommend it? Looking for a new case.
Sorry my bad. When I said I built it I meant I chose the parts and got someone else to build it. It’s arriving tomorrow.

But the reviews look good for the case.

Nice work @Bojan11

The monitor is overkill, but you are going to be very impressed with how smooth it is and when next gen hits, that machine is way ahead of the curve.

Oh and if you can afford it, Intel is better. Ryzen is good, but you might as well go all out if the cash is there ;)
Yeah looking forward to trying out the new Gears and Halo MCC. But has anyone here played Gears with a keyboard and mouse? I been reading it’s better to play with a controller even though obviously the mouse is more accurate when it comes to aiming but you lose movement compared to the controller and harder to active reload. First thing I’m going to play on it probably is Yakuza Zero again.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
anyone recommend me a tiny little PC for running my Plex server on. Its running on an 8 year old Mac mini at the moment, and it needs a kick every few days. Usually just when we want to watch something.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Digital foundry said Intel is still better for gaming even though 3700x and 3900x have closed the gap. So went for that.
Yeah, if you want the fastest thing for gaming only, no questions asked and money not being an issue, the 9900K is the way to go.
In any other case, the ~100-150€ premium of the 9900K over the 3700X are better spent elsewhere in the system.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Fractal Meshify S2.

Why the 9900k? You get approximately the same game performance from an Ryzen 7 3700X at much lower price.
The difference is down to less than 10 fps and in some games intel is behind. And in everything else apart from games ryzen is ripping intel a new one. All future new games will utilize more cores so that will also go in favour of ryzen.

Dan

anyone recommend me a tiny little PC for running my Plex server on. Its running on an 8 year old Mac mini at the moment, and it needs a kick every few days. Usually just when we want to watch something.
Intel NUC.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Said every single time they release a new line of processors...
Only this time they have a technological advantage (manufacturing in TSMC's 7nm process vs. Intel's umpteenth iteration of 14nm) for the first time ever, and it shows.