Bundesliga 19/20

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh come on.. Bayern basically still have the same team that got 42 points and beat Dortmund 5:0 in the "Rückrunde". Perisic is hardly going to be a downgrade over a 35 year old Ribery. When looking at their CL ambitions, their public comments about Sane and the famous "if you only knew who we already got lined up" comment from Hoeneß, then it has probably been a humbling summer indeed, but aside from concerns about depth it's knee-jerk to the extreme to write them off for the BuLi. Even in the Supercup, despite losing in the end, between two teams who want to dominate their opposition they were actually the ones who got to enforce their match plan, Kovac can take away from the match that he has to adjust details, e.g. fine tune their build up and signing someone like Roca may do just that for him..
I like Dortmund's transfers a lot, but I think at best it's even between who is the actual favourite.
Yeah I think @.mica is getting a bit ahead of himself here. I like our squad but it definitely has its flaws and for example the Uerdingen match was a bit of a disappointment for me. Maybe I expected a bit too much and it does also show the development of the last years that even with a mediocre performance we still qualified for the next round without any problems. I think the squad should on average be able to replicate the results of last season, maybe more, maybe less depending on injuries and luck.

With Bayern it is a bit of a gamble for them I think (based on their current squad that will probably be improved upon in the coming weeks). If they are spared an injury crisis they still comfortably have the best first eleven in the league und should win the league. If they do have a couple of injuries (Lewandowski/Süle/Coman/Gnabry/Kimmich) they will quickly have a severe drop in quality. So I guess it will depend largely on the matches where they are lacking a couple of their key players. If they win those I am pretty sure they will win the league again. If not, Dortmund may have a chance.

Overall I am really looking forward to this season. Bayern seem beatable but that doesn't mean you can count them out by a long shot.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Are you talking about one match or the whole season? Cause i don't remember what line up Bayern played against Dortmund in the Rückrunde, but i think a team without Robben, Ribery, Hummels and James is in fact not "basically the same team". Meanwhile Dortmund has strenghten its squad a lot and focused on all the waeknesses which causes the underwhelming Rückrunde. Iam thinking of some positions like CB or FB, and the mentality or unexperienced youth players.

RB now got a fantastic coach, and in my eyes their squad is well balanced and fits to the coach.

Leverkusen could be nice, they have also a squad which fits to Bosz, but in the end its Leverkusen who could break apart every time (which is something that is not unusual with Bosz' teams).

Gladbach i cant evaluate. You guys got some thoughts about them?

Schalke is a prototype of a chaotic club and i hope they will finally get relegated. Something they strongly deserve.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Robben barely played a minute, Hummels and James were at odds with Kovac. The former already got replaced with the two French men, for the latter they are supposedly about to sign another CM. Ribery got replaced with Perisic.
It's not as good as Bayern's officials lead people to believe/hope, causong a fair amount of ridicule and disappointment, but they will still have a strong (first) team.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern playing Cottbus right now in the cup. Several BuLi teams have already gone out against lower league teams, and additionally several more second league teams have lost to even lower league ones, so it's been a very entertaining first round so far.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern playing Cottbus right now in the cup. Several BuLi teams have already gone out against lower league teams, and additionally several more second league teams have lost to even lower league ones, so it's been a very entertaining first round so far.
Actually I feel there have been very few upsets so far. Only two first and three second league teams have actually gone out. It may have felt like it was more because so many teams had to go to extra time or even penalties but every single one of those was won by the favoured team. Overall I agree with you though, it has been quite entertaining :)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
We are making up for the entertainment. This is incredibly dull.
Btw, I just found out minutes ago that Cottbus is a 4th tier club nowadays :eek:
In my head they still were the sometimes BuLi, mostly second league team of the late 90s, early 2000s to mid 2010s, but they took a sharp dive over the last ~4 years.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
- I am a but surprised you mention Wolf for the RB position without mentioning Guerreiro as a LB. It makes sense of course to position the latter as an attacking option but unlike Wolf he was actually used in defense in this preseason by Favre.
- I am fairly sure Osterhage is not part of the first team squad, he is neither in the team picture nor listed as part of the squad on the website. He will be a member of the U23 team.
- Jacob Bruun-Larsen can play as a striker too and was mentioned as a possible back-up for Alcacer.
- I don't think Guerreiro will ever play a Wingback under Favre if not literally every defensive player in the squad is injured. He already has shown that last year using Diallo over Guerreiro. For once Guerreiro isn't strong enough defensively and we don't have the offensive power to make-up for it through attacking being the best defense. Secondly he isn't the kind of wingback Favre wants. Favre wants the Wingbacks to be line-players that create width more than anything. Even a Hazard (who already played a similar position in Belgiums 3-5-2) would be better suited for that than Guerreiro. If anything, Guerreiro is a lot more like Kimmich and Alaba instead of Piczcek or Schulz.
- So will Unbehaun and Raschl. They still train with the first team to get experience with them as far as I know. Admittedly I am not 100% sure about that one.
- Yes, he can. But I see Götze and Hazard before him in that regard so I left him out there.

I am not so sure Götze's contract will actually be extended. I don't think it is too unlikely for him to be leaving the club yet. I am a bit torn about him. On the one hand I like him as a player and secretely still wish he was the player he was in his youth again. But on the other hand I know that is not going to happen and see him for the player he is: a good offensive player that earns way too much money for his role in the squad. Let's see what happens but I see it far from certain that he will extend his contract, especially for less money.
- I would give it a 50:50. I said two posts ago that I don't particular care either way. It's ok if he stays and it's ok if he leaves. He is a good squad player for us. That's it. All of his potential positions there is at least 1 player better suited for it. Reus, Paco, Brandt, Hazard, Delaney, etc. He pretty much is the "neither fish nor meat"-kinda guy. Not fast and athletic enough for the attacking positions. Not good enough defensively for the double-6.

I am not convinced by Dahoud either and even worse, I don't see Gomez as a suitable replacement either. Favre seems to agree with me, Gomez was not used as a CM at all if I recall correctly, he is more of an OM. He certainly has the capabilites to play as a CM as well but I think he is too offensive/not defensively sound enough for Favre's liking. That's why I see very slim chances for Gomez to get playing time this season (OM being the most crowded position with Reus, Brandt, Götze and several others that can play there) and would like to see him loaned out in the Bundesliga.
That leaves the CM position as arguably our weakest at the peak (depthwise it would be RW with basically only Wolf as a backup for Sancho, Favre seems to be considering Hakimi there now as well). We either have Dahoud who is inconsistent at best or Witsel/Delaney, neither of whom are very dynamic. A Gündogan type player is very much needed but I don't expect anyone coming in here, at least not this summer.
I would assume Dahoud stays because a) we couldn't get a replacement for his player-style or b) the risk would've been too big to get said replacement early and eventually failing to thin out the squad. Also he does have the potential to also play the double-10 in a 4-1-4-1 which may happen a few times throughout the season.

Gomez obviously isn't good enough defensively to play a double-6 as of now. Which is why I said he isn't mature enough. But I don't see him getting any playtime on the 10, either so I expected him to be much rather a back-up for the double-6 as I see more chances for him to get playtime there as well as it suited his playstyle quite a bit. But I don't know about Favres plans with him. Either way, it doesn't seem like he is going to go out with a loan.
Edit: And then he gets loaned without any prior rumours. Quality timing by me.

And yes, Gündogan would've been the wet dream. Literally would give us an incredibly versatile double-6.

I hope that doesn't happen. Really not sure how the asking price for Schick can beas high as it is and I am personally quite happy with our attacking options. If Götze leaves we might yet buy one more player though.
I like Schick as a playertype as well as thinking he would suit Favres playstyle and gives an alternative playertype over Paco for certain opponents.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Best BVB squad since years! We did our homework very well. On the other side there is the worst Bayern squad ever, they are such a joke these times. Loudmouthing Hoeness who spoke about massive transfer activities, in the end there is nothing but questionmarks and a look at Brazzos clueless face.
At the moment its possible that its more likely that there will be a title race between BVB and this football playing advertisment called RB than a race between BVB and Bayern.
Actually not sure if you’re trolling

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Actually not sure if you’re trolling
You mistake me for Honess and Rumenigge.
Perisic is more than nothing, but is he "the transfers" Hoeness were thinking of when he said "if you would know we have already signed"? Is he the result of Brazzo "steping on the gas as feck"?
Iam not sure, but iam sure its going to be an exciting season.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Perisic is unavailable for the Bundesliga kick off on friday due to a 5 yellow cards ban that carries over from Serie A. I had no idea those bans are valid across leagues.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Perisic is unavailable for the Bundesliga kick off on friday due to a 5 yellow cards ban that carries over from Serie A. I had no idea those bans are valid across leagues.
Pogba was banned for game against Bournemouth because he accumulated yellow cards in Serie A, back in 2016-17 season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You mistake me for Honess and Rumenigge.
Perisic is more than nothing, but is he "the transfers" Hoeness were thinking of when he said "if you would know we have already signed"? Is he the result of Brazzo "steping on the gas as feck"?
Iam not sure, but iam sure its going to be an exciting season.
You said it is „the worst Bayern squad ever“.
Why don’t you put you money where your mouth is and bid heavily on Bayern not becoming champions?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
4/7/2009 Butt - Oddo, Demichelis, Breno, Lell - Schweinsteiger, van Bommel, Zé Roberto (77. Sosa) - Altintop (46. Ottl), Ribéry - Toni
Schweinsteiger/Altintop as RW/RM. That squad was a nightmare. Everything changed with the signings of Van Gaal and Robben.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Schweinsteiger/Altintop as RW/RM. That squad was a nightmare. Everything changed with the signings of Van Gaal and Robben.
to be fair, at that specific night Lahm and Lucio were out; Lahm/Ze Roberto was a wing axis to be reckoned; Lucio/Demichelis was a bit less of a laughing stock than Micho/Breno. Still...

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
You said it is „the worst Bayern squad ever“.
Why don’t you put you money where your mouth is and bid heavily on Bayern not becoming champions?
You need a recommendation for a proctologist? Because this post reeks of a hurting butt.

This Bayern squad is indeed one of the worst in the last 30 years at least. But that doesn't mean it's still not better than 90% of the league. One statement doesn't exclude the other and this transferwindow was pretty subpar and I could probably write an essay about why.
They are still the favourites, but they are as beatable as they haven't been for a long time and it's gonna be a rough season - if just 1 or 2 things go wrong (like a months long Lewandowski or Thiago injury)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You need a recommendation for a proctologist? Because this post reeks of a hurting butt.

This Bayern squad is indeed one of the worst in the last 30 years at least. But that doesn't mean it's still not better than 90% of the league. One statement doesn't exclude the other and this transferwindow was pretty subpar and I could probably write an essay about why.
They are still the favourites, but they are as beatable as they haven't been for a long time and it's gonna be a rough season - if just 1 or 2 things go wrong (like a months long Lewandowski or Thiago injury)
What is wrong with some posters on here? This used to be a great forum for fans of all clubs.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Meanwhile in Munich, Bayern completely outplay Hertha and are now down 2:1 after conceding two goals in 3 minutes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Berlin from 1-0 down to 2-1 vs Bayern.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Grujic still manages to score in a 1 vs 1 while being half knocked-out.

And Neuer claiming whatever after conceding (at 1-1) never gets old :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Meanwhile in Munich, Bayern completely outplay Hertha and are now down 2:1 after conceding two goals in 3 minutes.
I mean Bayern were dominant and the better team and Hertha are very fortunate to leading, but most of the game felt relatively open (considering it's Bayern at home), with Hertha finding some space every now and then.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What goes through a player's mind when he does something like that? Had Hertha been able to hold on a few minutes longer Bayern's pressure might have ebbed off, now I would be surprised (again) if they take any points.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern remind me of their van Gaal version and not in a good way. A heavy wing focus, but painfully harmless through the center and no greats like Ribery and Robben out wide either.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Bayern remind me of their van Gaal version and not in a good way. A heavy wing focus, but painfully harmless through the center and no greats like Ribery and Robben out wide either.
We may have to wait a few more games first though.

Bayern has been struggling with Hertha for quite some time now. That's 2 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss with an aggregate 9:9 goals in their past 7 duels. They might play better against other teams.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We may have to wait a few more games first though.

Bayern has been struggling with Hertha for quite some time now. That's 2 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss with an aggregate 9:9 goals in their past 7 duels. They might play better against other teams.
At the very very latest after today's match/result I expect Bayern to go out shopping (Countinho and Cuisance appear to be likely), so I don't think this told us much about the future either way.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Coutinho to Bayern on loan confirmed by Brazzo