Supports
Bayern Munich
Dortmund can't just kill off games. They held on for this win

Gap between 1st and 9th is 2points

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think the Bundesliga has been not quite as closely packed in the top half those last few years, but the main and glaring difference is that we simply were better than the rest, and now we're not.

Blackwidow

Pretty nuts this season. It's the first time in years I feel like the league is really unpredictable. I still think Bayern will probably win it because of their squad depth but Who knows?
Question is how long Kovac survives. If he is kicked soon they probably will win.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Süle has torn his ACL. fml
Hernandez and Pavard CB with Alaba and Kimmich as the full backs? Bayern are going to be in trouble with Sule out for the season, their best CB.

Feck! Germany are fecked for Euro 2020 as well! Rudiger, Ginter, Tah, Kehrer for CB? :( Low should swallow his pride and bring Hummels back.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hernandez and Pavard CB with Alaba and Kimmich as the full backs? Bayern are going to be in trouble with Sule out for the season, their best CB.

Feck! Germany are fecked for Euro 2020 as well! Rudiger, Ginter, Tah, Kehrer for CB? :( Low should swallow his pride and bring Hummels back.
Those guys aren't as bad as people think they are, especially Rüdiger and Tah. Especially Tah is having a patch of very bad form but that is not his actual quality. He was very close to Süle performance-wise throughout most oft his career. Thing is, few people watch Leverkusen on a game by game basis but almost everyone has seen how bad he was for the NT recently.

It's similar but less extreme with Rüdiger, who actually was a decent CB for Chelsea in the last few seasons.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Those guys aren't as bad as people think they are, especially Rüdiger and Tah. Especially Tah is having a patch of very bad form but that is not his actual quality. He was very close to Süle performance-wise throughout most oft his career. Thing is, few people watch Leverkusen on a game by game basis but almost everyone has seen how bad he was for the NT recently.

It's similar but less extreme with Rüdiger, who actually was a decent CB for Chelsea in the last few seasons.
I've seen plenty of Tah these past few seasons and while I do also agree that he is in bad form, I also haven't seen the development in his game that can make me believe he can become a world class CB, Sule has shown that progession. Benni Henrichs also regressed a lot in his last season and so I wasn't surprised to see he wasn't getting regular playing time for a horrendous Monaco team as well. Hopefully Tah doesn't fall under that trajectory.

Rudiger I have never liked for Germany. I have probably seen him play less for Chelsea than Germany and I have read from Chelsea fans that they rate him, but for Germany he has always been prone to gaffes.

That's just the main issue with all of those players mentioned. All are talented but are prone to making errors, that is what sets Sule apart. Sule is as solid a defender as they come, rarely makes mistakes. Ginter, Tah and Rudiger have been prone to those errors for the national team (for Ginter and Tah, also domestically).

Hummels and Sule are the two best CB in the BL right now, both not being there for Germany is going to be tough as hell. If it wasn't tough enough already.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Pavard is kind of needed at RB, especially if Kimmich keeps getting used in midfield. If he wants some continuity in central defense Kovac has to rely on Boateng.

I think performance wise Hummels has probably been the best German CB in 2019, head and shoulders above clowns like Ginter and Tah, but we don't know if that was the main reason why Löw banished him. Hummels also has a big ego and a pretty big mouth, maybe he overplayed his hand internally with DIE MANNSCHAFT. After all it wasn't just Löw who axed him, Kovac also seemed fairly eager to see him go, despite consistently good performances after the winter break.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've seen plenty of Tah these past few seasons and while I do also agree that he is in bad form, I also haven't seen the development in his game that can make me believe he can become a world class CB, Sule has shown that progession. Benni Henrichs also regressed a lot in his last season and so I wasn't surprised to see he wasn't getting regular playing time for a horrendous Monaco team as well. Hopefully Tah doesn't fall under that trajectory.

Rudiger I have never liked for Germany. I have probably seen him play less for Chelsea than Germany and I have read from Chelsea fans that they rate him, but for Germany he has always been prone to gaffes.

That's just the main issue with all of those players mentioned. All are talented but are prone to making errors, that is what sets Sule apart. Sule is as solid a defender as they come, rarely makes mistakes. Ginter, Tah and Rudiger have been prone to those errors for the national team (for Ginter and Tah, also domestically).

Hummels and Sule are the two best CB in the BL right now, both not being there for Germany is going to be tough as hell. If it wasn't tough enough already.
Don't get me wrong, I am also disappointed with Tah's development. I actually think he was better in his first two seasons for us than he is now. That's partly because he was extremely good back then (one of if not the best CB in that age I've seen) but also because he developed into the wrong direction. He makes more mistakes, he doesn't look as strong and agile as he used to be and he's become very nervous on many occasions. But generally, I think he's as talented as Süle. He just needs to get back to the form he has shown in his first two or three Leverkusen seasons.

And yes, Rüdiger is one of those players who just didn't really click in the NT. Then again, I think the last games he played were solid performances and went somewhat unnoticed because they weren't bad but not good enough to attract real attention. Ginter on the other hand is one of those players who are actually better for the NT than they were - occasionally - for their clubs, especially at his BVB time.

But generally, I agree. Löw should definitely bring back Hummels and maybe even Boateng. Currently, we have no players of the class those two showed in the team - at least not until Tah finally gets his shit together. Hummels is in great form and Boateng still isn't really old by CB standards.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Don't get me wrong, I am also disappointed with Tah's development. I actually think he was better in his first two seasons for us than he is now. That's partly because he was extremely good back then (one of if not the best CB in that age I've seen) but also because he developed into the wrong direction. He makes more mistakes, he doesn't look as strong and agile as he used to be and he's become very nervous on many occasions. But generally, I think he's as talented as Süle. He just needs to get back to the form he has shown in his first two or three Leverkusen seasons.

And yes, Rüdiger is one of those players who just didn't really click in the NT. Then again, I think the last games he played were solid performances and went somewhat unnoticed because they weren't bad but not good enough to attract real attention. Ginter on the other hand is one of those players who are actually better for the NT than they were - occasionally - for their clubs, especially at his BVB time.

But generally, I agree. Löw should definitely bring back Hummels and maybe even Boateng. Currently, we have no players of the class those two showed in the team - at least not until Tah finally gets his shit together. Hummels is in great form and Boateng still isn't really old by CB standards.
Tbh I think neither Süle or Tah have the talent of Boateng or Hummels. Süle at the very least is someone who seems to thrive under pressure, you can rely on him to have a solid game, but Tah's inconsistency isn't a recent phenomenon imho, especially not under pressure (I recall a certain game in Munich last season); this is his 7th Bundesliga season, he's not some naive kid making his first steps, I wouldn't take it for granted that he just grows out of it anytime soon and I don't think Löw should bet DIE MANNSCHAFT's future on him snapping out of it.

Bundesliga is pretty weird right now. The designated EL challengers (Gladbach, Wolfsburg, Schalke) and Freiburg are outperforming expectation, and 3/4 designated top teams (Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen) are disappointing. Leipzig and perhaps Frankfurt are the only ones who are at the level they were supposed to be.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bild quotes Löw with: "there's no reason to nominate Hummels at the moment".

Hoeneß:
"Süle can forget about the Euros [...] he has to focus now on getting fit in time for next season"

about Bayern defensive problems:
"That's only temporary. Due to Süle's injury the defense picks itself. There will be continuity now. The defensive problems will be sorted out soon, when Martinez plays at DM. Then we will concede little in the future anyway."

apparently he also ruled out winter transfers, though at this point everyone always does

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
about Bayern defensive problems:
"That's only temporary. Due to Süle's injury the defense picks itself. There will be continuity now. The defensive problems will be sorted out soon, when Martinez plays at DM. Then we will concede little in the future anyway."
Oh sure... I saw this on another forum:

Bayern's goals conceded per game since 12/13

12/13: 0,53 (Heynckes)
13/14: 0,67 (Guardiola)
14/15: 0,53 (Guardiola)
15/16: 0,50 (Guardiola)
16/17: 0,64 (Ancelotti)
17/18: 0,82 (Ancelotti 1,00 / Heynckes 0,78)
18/19: 0,94 (Kovac)
19/20: 1,25 (Kovac)

The sorting out of the defense is in full swing, as you can see, and can only get better with Süle out and less options to choose from. /s

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
BRAZZO:
"Lucas will be absent for longer, too. How long, we will see. There's surely [at least] a partially ruptured tendon."

He's also partially blaming the French NT for the injury saying "he's slightly angry" with them, "we obviously want our players to have as many games as possible. But it's gutting, that he got injured today. That's not just because of the game today, he came from a long injury spell and played many games." He "doesn't want to assign blame", but they should have trusted the assessment of FC Bayern.

While I definitely understand Bayern being upset at FFF in principle, I think it's pretty rich to bring it up in this context, when they themselves haven't given Hernandez any break since and instead played him full minutes twice within four days against nominally weak opposition.

Meanwhile SportBild reported that Favre is on "probation" and should he not prove capable of a title challenge then they are supposedly keen on Mourinho (kill me).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund is never ever going to appoint Mou and its obvious that Favre will be in trouble if he can't challenge. Its lazy journalism.
I mean in theory I would see it like that as well, but when you factor in that Mourinho started to study German before the season, that he and Watzke supposedly have some form of friendship going on and that Dortmund can't be too picky if they fire Favre mid-season then it doesn't sound as far fetched to me anymore.

Meanwhile in Freiburg a court (after nearby residents sued against possible noise pollution) has decided that the club are not allowed to use their new stadium after 8pm or between 1:30pm and 3pm on sundays. Meaning they are currently building a stadium that can't host at four (Fridays 8:30pm, Saturday's 6:30pm and the EL related kick-offs on Sunday at 1:30pm and Mondays at 20:30) out of six regular Bundesliga kick-off times, as well as basically any midweek Buli, EL or DFB Cup fixtures.
For a club their size new stadiums are often a risky proposition to begin with and if these restrictions are actually imposed I fear for the clubs future.
Also what kind of garden gnome obsessed animals are willing to ruin their local football club, because of a bit of noise for 2-3 hours every two weeks.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Savy move by Freiburg and the court to stop the ongoing fragmentation of the football weekend, I very much approve.

Blackwidow

I mean in theory I would see it like that as well, but when you factor in that Mourinho started to study German before the season, that he and Watzke supposedly have some form of friendship going on and that Dortmund can't be too picky if they fire Favre mid-season then it doesn't sound as far fetched to me anymore.

Meanwhile in Freiburg a court (after nearby residents sued against possible noise pollution) has decided that the club are not allowed to use their new stadium after 8pm or between 1:30pm and 3pm on sundays. Meaning they are currently building a stadium that can't host at four (Fridays 8:30pm, Saturday's 6:30pm and the EL related kick-offs on Sunday at 1:30pm and Mondays at 20:30) out of six regular Bundesliga kick-off times, as well as basically any midweek Buli, EL or DFB Cup fixtures.
For a club their size new stadiums are often a risky proposition to begin with and if these restrictions are actually imposed I fear for the clubs future.
Also what kind of garden gnome obsessed animals are willing to ruin their local football club, because of a bit of noise for 2-3 hours every two weeks.
Tell that to the elderly pair who some years bought a house next to the festival hall and festival place in my village that causes a whole village not to be able to celebrate their yearly festival... They even have tried to buy them a holiday for that weekend - no chance...

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Man, feck Schalke. Don't think I've hated a BL team more than them, ugly would be the only word to describe how they have been playing for the past 5-6 years now. No creativity, no team play, just physically disrupting the other team and scoring of set pieces.

Dortmund were horrible to watch today as well. It's clear as day that he need someone in midfield with good technical ability to hold challenges and play passes under pressure, right now no one is able to (Gotze could've been had he been the same he was 7 years ago). Delaeney sticks out like a sore thumb, opposition teams target him when he's on the ball and he invariably loses it with a poor pass or plays defensive back passes. Dortmund's problem is that they have been so shit defensively that they can't afford to play Brandt at CM, like he did at Leverkusen last season, in place of Delaeney, who is atleast solid defensively.

Leipzeg lost as well, fecking hell the the BL is sometimes depressive.

izec

Leipzig have no killer instinct, Freiburg punishing them at crucial moments. They play well, but need to be more clinical

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyone watching Lever v Bremen?
That was one of the worst VAR decisions I've ever seen
Missed that but Bremen surely should've had a penalty at the end with the handball?

I don't watch as much Bundesliga as previous seasons but is there least instances of refs going to watch decisions on monitor, seems to me there is.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is the best use of VAR that I have seen yet. :lol:

Pagh Wraith

Kovač leaving Lewandowski out for the cup match in Bochum is just bizarre. Rest him in the league if you must you dope. Or even in the Champions League being in the comfortable position they are.

Blackwidow

Müller of all people.
Shows what mentality he has. He really has shown in all the matchtime he got since end of August how valuable he is with 2 goals and 6 assists in only about 350 minutes even if this somehow does not seem to help him a lot. Last night again... - Coutinho was rested so you would really think that his time to start on his preferred position would be there... But no. He again after only two starts as 8 and right winger was subbed in for the last 25 minutes...

How long Kovac will last is only a question of time. Remarks about the good performance of the Bochum team like "that happens when a team does what the coach says" will not make him friends in his own team that for sure has listened to his interviews in which always the players are blamed for the bad things whereas he is rsponsible for the good ones... And the fans will not like how he openly calls the fans of the next opponent Frankfurt as best fans of the league.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I wish to report a murder. Leipzig butchered Wolfsburg with 6-1 in their own home in the DFB cup :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Dortmund vs Gladbach is free on youtube at the moment for anyone interested.