Bundesliga 19/20

sh4d

Shows what mentality he has. He really has shown in all the matchtime he got since end of August how valuable he is with 2 goals and 6 assists in only about 350 minutes even if this somehow does not seem to help him a lot. Last night again... - Coutinho was rested so you would really think that his time to start on his preferred position would be there... But no. He again after only two starts as 8 and right winger was subbed in for the last 25 minutes...

How long Kovac will last is only a question of time. Remarks about the good performance of the Bochum team like "that happens when a team does what the coach says" will not make him friends in his own team that for sure has listened to his interviews in which always the players are blamed for the bad things whereas he is rsponsible for the good ones... And the fans will not like how he openly calls the fans of the next opponent Frankfurt as best fans of the league.
Good for Kovac tbh. He's been getting shat on the moment he arrived. Nothing he does is good, i'd flip them the bird as well. The club is a joke, someone farts in the dressing room, it's all over the news, it's worse than big brother.

And a late cameo is all Muller is good for. If you start with him, you play with 10 men and hope he has a moment.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Tbf there shouldn't be anything controversial naming Frankfurt's fans as the best in the league (after all, Dresden e.g. are not in the first division).

Blackwidow

Good for Kovac tbh. He's been getting shat on the moment he arrived. Nothing he does is good, i'd flip them the bird as well. The club is a joke, someone farts in the dressing room, it's all over the news, it's worse than big brother.

And a late cameo is all Muller is good for. If you start with him, you play with 10 men and hope he has a moment.
Problem is that Kovac is not good enough for the job. And blaming everything else... - how the press treats him, the weather, his players that are just too stupid to understand him, don't fight enough or have a questionable attitude - for sure does not make him friends within the team. The team lacks structures and positioning that the single players can live on and that is surely something that has to do with training and the coach. Right now everything depends on individuals and that makes Bayern's play predictable and even low table clubs come to Munich now thinking that they maybe can get points. If you have watched the development over the years and especially since 2009 now a playing culture was established in a way that I have not seen in the long time that I have been a fan - and then you see that getting ruined again with first Ancelotti and now with Kovac, you could start to cry.

The press actually has been very nice to him until now.

----------

The last three season the defensive record as well as the offensive was better with Müller on the pitch - and his replacement were other very good players. In that time Bayern had a between 0.5 to 0.8 goals better goal difference per 90 minutes with him than without him. Maybe Bayern is better when they play just with 10 players?
Why it is like this? One of the reasons might be that Lewy doubles his goalscoring with him next to him. Even in this season's hyperform he scored every 95 minutes without him and every 45 minutes with him.

Mcking

My third favourite coach, Marco Rose and Gladbach still top. 2-1 at Leverkusen.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Bayern losing 5-1 now! :eek:

Wow Kovac gone surely?
He should have been gone long ago. Usually, I’d expect his firing now. But honestly, as long as Hoeneß has anything to say, I’m not sure. The way he constantly defends Kovac is absolutely crazy.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He is probably not get sacked yet, but I dont see how he can come back from this. I think the team will voice their opinion soon and get him get sacked.
The team has been voicing its opinion for a year now. Nothing happened. As long as Hoeneß keeps protecting him, nothing will happen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He is probably not get sacked yet, but I dont see how he can come back from this. I think the team will voice their opinion soon and get him get sacked.
Afaik Hummels and James were the supposed mutineers and Bayern got rid of them in the summer. Maybe Müller, too, but he doesn't have a lot of weight to throw around at the moment.

And while I don't rate Kovac highly either: take a look at the back 4 he had to work with today:
Pavard (CB playing RB), Boateng (supposed to be gone a year ago), Alaba (LB playing CB), Davis (teenage winger). Part of their problems stem from the management's decision not to sign any real fullbacks or at least a Hummels replacement and not signing a CM.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hoping he'll get some results in the next 2 - 3 games so that he'll stay a little longer :D the league's much cooler this way.

santuris

Supports
FC Bayern
Afaik Hummels and James were the supposed mutineers and Bayern got rid of them in the summer. Maybe Müller, too, but he doesn't have a lot of weight to throw around at the moment.

And while I don't rate Kovac highly either: take a look at the back 4 he had to work with today:
Pavard (CB playing RB), Boateng (supposed to be gone a year ago), Alaba (LB playing CB), Davis (teenage winger). Part of their problems stem from the management's decision not to sign any real fullbacks or at least a Hummels replacement and not signing a CM.
He could have let Martinez and Boateng or pavard play center back. Then alaba as lb, kimmich as right back. No problems.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
First Berlin derby in almost 50 years. Expecting a turd of a match, but fans will probably be up to the occasion.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He could have let Martinez and Boateng or pavard play center back. Then alaba as lb, kimmich as right back. No problems.
I assume Martinez wasn't fit for such an intense match after his injury. I haven't watched the full match, maybe moving Kimmich to RB would've been better, but then he breaks up his first choice midfield pairing and I assume Kovac felt like his strength on the ball was needed against Frankfurts pressing.

And either way, having just the one RB in your squad is already a bit naive, but if it then turns out that the coach actually feels like he has to field him at CM every other game the pre season planning turns into a joke.

santuris

Supports
FC Bayern
I assume Martinez wasn't fit for such an intense match after his injury. I haven't watched the full match, maybe moving Kimmich to RB would've been better, but then he breaks up his first choice midfield pairing and I assume Kovac felt like his strength on the ball was needed against Frankfurts pressing.

And either way, having just the one RB in your squad is already a bit naive, but if it then turns out that the coach actually feels like he has to field him at CM every other game the pre season planning turns into a joke.
Pavard was also a disappointment today. As was Boateng. You could see they were not focused on what they were doing. The preferred midfield with Thiago - coutinho and Mueller has not worked a single time so far. Tolisso does not seem to find any form. We have to few players who are good at building up a play, rather too many players who are artists with the ball, like Thiago, coutinho..

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Lucas Hernandez was signed and Coutinho for CM

Lucas Sule Hummels Boateng Martinez Pavard would have been too much for CB

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Lucas Hernandez was signed and Coutinho for CM

Lucas Sule Hummels Boateng Martinez Pavard would have been too much for CB
But Hernandez and Pavard are also the first choice LB and RB backups, both actually played more on the wings than in the center.

Alaba, Lucas, Süle, Boateng, Pavard, Martinez and Kimmich are 7 players for 4 positions, two of which spend half their time in midfield.

Had they signed two fullbacks and went with Lucas, Süle and Pavard as first choice CBs and Boateng on standby it would've been a normal level of depth.

Coutinho is an attacking player, he can't play CM in the role that Kimmich does.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
losing 5:1 to Frankfurt has nothing to do with the squad. The problem is, that Kovac is clueless and doesn't give any useful tactical imput. The little that works is down to individual quality and the previous system, that Kovac tried (and failed) to dismantel. The season is even worse than it looks, if you consider that Lewandowski, Gnabry and Coman all play good or even very good seasons, while Müller is very succesful in his few minutes.

Its honestly shocking that Bayern got another manager, who wants to play 433 after Ancelotti's spell. Its also shocking that the management would continue to buy midfielders, who might fit a 433, but not a 4231. Its sadly not at all surprising, that Kovac is useless.

The only "good" thing is, that the management will get trigger happy once the title is in danger.

TommiHelm

Didn't expect Rose to do this well so fast with BMG. Love the vision he has of how to play, and he seems to have the ability to implement it. Very impressed with how BMG are playing already. Really wish we'd take a chance on someone like him. I'm sure he'll end up at Bayern or Real Madrid instead though, or even Liverpool when Klopp leaves.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
losing 5:1 to Frankfurt has nothing to do with the squad. The problem is, that Kovac is clueless and doesn't give any useful tactical imput. The little that works is down to individual quality and the previous system, that Kovac tried (and failed) to dismantel. The season is even worse than it looks, if you consider that Lewandowski, Gnabry and Coman all play good or even very good seasons, while Müller is very succesful in his few minutes.

Its honestly shocking that Bayern got another manager, who wants to play 433 after Ancelotti's spell. Its also shocking that the management would continue to buy midfielders, who might fit a 433, but not a 4231. Its sadly not at all surprising, that Kovac is useless.

The only "good" thing is, that the management will get trigger happy once the title is in danger.
I don't rate Kovac, but it doesn't mean we have to blame him for everything. I mean the guy who got things rolling today was Boateng and I don't think he was supposed to be still at Bayern.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Spot on.
I don't rate Kovac, but it doesn't mean we have to blame him for everything. I mean the guy who got things rolling today was Boateng and I don't think he was supposed to be still at Bayern.
Yeah we were a man down for 80 minutes, but 0 of these minutes we had a plan in effect to deal with the numerical disadvantage. Comparing this with 10 men situations under Guardiola is just comical.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So Bayern themselves have announced on Twitter that today's training session will be held in private. Now Sport1 (broadcaster) reports that Rummenigge and Hoeneß will have a chat about Kovac's future today. Maybe he's going to get sacked immediately after all.

Godfather

Bayern doing the right thing. Just as we should. I wish we were such a ruthless and well run club.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern doing the right thing. Just as we should. I wish we were such a ruthless and well run club.
A well run club woulnd't have given him the job in the first place.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean it was obvious before they signed him that he wasn't a good fit (tactically) for the club. Yet they picked him up anyway, sheltered him through the crisis last winter (at the cost of making themselves and the club a mockery with their bizarre anti press press conference) and gave him another season (getting rid of players he couldn't work with - if Favre wasn't in trouble himself, letting go Hummels probably would've blown up in their faces big time by now) just to potentially sack him three months in. That's neither a well run process, nor is it particularly ruthless.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sport1 now report that it's looking like Kovac gets the upcoming week to save his job.

edit: now confirmed by Kicker as well

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So Bayern themselves have announced on Twitter that today's training session will be held in private. Now Sport1 (broadcaster) reports that Rummenigge and Hoeneß will have a chat about Kovac's future today. Maybe he's going to get sacked immediately after all.
Football is strange. Beat the UCL finalists 7-2 away from home and then lose 5-1 to domestic rivals, now get the sack.

I can't pick a side in this. I've never liked Kovac and his style of play, but I wouldn't want him to get the sack yet.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Football is strange. Beat the UCL finalists 7-2 away from home and then lose 5-1 to domestic rivals, now get the sack.

I can't pick a side in this. I've never liked Kovac and his style of play, but I wouldn't want him to get the sack yet.
Beating Spurs was like equal parts Spurs being in a bad state, Bayern players themselves turning up massively for a big occasion and luck. I don't think it's a game changer for Kovac and when they sack him it won't be because of one or two matches, it's because Kovac - aside from a couple of months last spring - never really created the dominant machine that Bayern have come to expect.

santuris

Supports
FC Bayern
Sport1 now report that it's looking like Kovac gets the upcoming week to save his job.
People like Rummenigge really messed things up. He was the one who publicly distanced himself from kovac even after he won the double. Only to state afterwards that there was no question of keeping Kovac.

The transfer policy was a mess the last two seasons as well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

That game was odd in many ways. It was a crazy clinical performance against an opponent in awful form who also gave up midway in the game. You shouldn't read anything into it.

When Bayern won 7-1 away against Roma in Guardiola's 2nd year, you clearly saw the result of a brilliant development both in tactics and on an individual level (especially Alaba's role, sadly injuires to too many key players destroyed that development later in that season). Nothing of that sort is visible under Kovac. It was just a freak result completely different from games before and after it. It gave Kovac room to breath, but quickly after it became clear that it didn't help at all.

izec

Kovac isnt the long term solution. He has some good and bad results, but they stagnate. Similar to us and Ole, jus that we are in midtable and Bayern have higher standards. But both managers arent good enough. Kovac will only delay his sacking, it will happen eventually this season at some point.