Bundesliga 19/20

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Weigl :lol: so slow
He was slow before his injuries but after them he's one of the slowest players I've seen play at a top club. Sad given he is really good at defending but that lack of pace is killing his future.

Why would you play such a high line with him and Hummels though? Insane tactics from Favre.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I’ve never seen a half like that from a team as ‘good’ as Dortmund. Absolutely embarrassing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Shame Paderborn couldn't hold on but their lack of ball retention in last five minutes was off the scale, constantly giving it back to Dortmund and eventually a couple of crosses hit their target.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Favre lives to die another day. Last two games Dortmund have been awful in the first half but amazing in the second, Dortmund really need to sort themselves out.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
First half showed that the squad is through with Favre, second half showed what could be possible without him. I think he should be sacked despite the turnaround.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
First half showed that the squad is through with Favre, second half showed what could be possible without him. I think he should be sacked despite the turnaround.
I was thinking the same thing. It's similar to United in Mourinho's last few months.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've always rated Favre, look at what he achieved at Berlin and 'gladbach.

Disappointing it seems to be fizzling out for him at Dortmund but ultimately it's same old same old for them, very exciting looking attack but catashrophic defensive issues, hurt them so much in the Tuchel years and also in that last season with Klopp.

For a top level european team they don't half struggle to keep clean sheets. Actually looking at their results so far they started off o.k and even recently have been beating Inter in CL to probably get into last 16 and also beat Gladbach in league and cup so on balance I'd still give Favre up to winter break and see how far off they're by then, seems the usual hammering in Munich will mess up their season again.

Back to the defensive issues, I assume the homecoming of Hummels hasn't solved much. I also see Burki is still starting in goal....he's their Mingolet. When they first signed Witsel he improved their balance between defence and attack.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I've always rated Favre, look at what he achieved at Berlin and 'gladbach.

Disappointing it seems to be fizzling out for him at Dortmund but ultimately it's same old same old for them, very exciting looking attack but catashrophic defensive issues, hurt them so much in the Tuchel years and also in that last season with Klopp.

For a top level european team they don't half struggle to keep clean sheets. Actually looking at their results so far they started off o.k and even recently have been beating Inter in CL to probably get into last 16 and also beat Gladbach in league and cup so on balance I'd still give Favre up to winter break and see how far off they're by then, seems the usual hammering in Munich will mess up their season again.

Back to the defensive issues, I assume the homecoming of Hummels hasn't solved much. I also see Burki is still starting in goal....he's their Mingolet. When they first signed Witsel he improved their balance between defence and attack.
Well.. the attack is actually the real problem, often playing uninspired slow and harmless football that's doesn't put the opposition under enough pressure.

Coupled with Favres preference to defend deep and passive this has been a recipe for disaster, because teams have found it easy to bully the team and force equalisers.

Hummels has been a great signing thus far, but the broader tactical issues and Akanji's blunders eclipse his impact.

Bürki has been playing consistently well for a long time now. To put blame on him is ridiculous.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting.

What would be your ideal front 3 + 1 then in the final third?

The options are Sancho (assist king although overall game still needs some work), Paco, Reus (injury permitting), Brandt, Gotze, T Hazard and Bruun Larsen (won me a big bet recently in the cup game) so really Dortmund are stacked in that area so interesting it dosen't seem to be clicking as you have penalty box poacher then counter attacking speedsters and also creative elements so I'm surprised the tactics are nulfiying this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Interesting.

What would be your ideal front 3 + 1 then in the final third?

The options are Sancho (assist king although overall game still needs some work), Paco, Reus (injury permitting), Brandt, Gotze, T Hazard and Bruun Larsen (won me a big bet recently in the cup game) so really Dortmund are stacked in that area so interesting it dosen't seem to be clicking as you have penalty box poacher then counter attacking speedsters and also creative elements so I'm surprised the tactics are nulfiying this.
I don't think there is one answer to that question. Aside from Bruun-Larsen, who is simply not good enough technically for Dortmund's ambitions, all these guys are very talented and good players in their own way, so the "correct" setup depends on the philosophy of the coach and level of opposition. It's much more about the tactical system failing than it is about who he picks. There is no urgency in Dortmund's passing or movement, it's often too easy for opponents to just sit back, stay compact and deny space to the attackers. And this pedestrian positional play coupled with a lack of pressing and an instruction to drop deep and defend at their own box means the team often get swamped when opponents push up high and apply pressure early. It's like Favre saps the energy out of the players, it's not uncommon for the team to go the entire first half of a game without actually creating anything worthwile. Yesterday it took a 0-3 against hopeless Paderborn, before the team woke up. Basically the same at home against Inter.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern up 2-0, Müller both times crucial in the making.

3-0, another assist for Müller

Last edited:

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
...It's like Favre saps the energy out of the players, it's not uncommon for the team to go the entire first half of a game without actually creating anything worthwile. Yesterday it took a 0-3 against hopeless Paderborn, before the team woke up. Basically the same at home against Inter.
You described it exactly how it is. I hope that we get rid of Favre as soon as possible. Just read an article from Röckenhaus and couldn't agree more with it:
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/favre-bvb-watzke-1.4695624

DavidDeSchmikes

Leipzig win 3-2 and go top
Dortmund win 2-1. Jurgen Klinsmann is the manager of Hertha Berlin
Schalke move to 3rd

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought Dortmund would drop points after Hummels red card. Has Hummels really improved Dortmunds defence

Last edited:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I thought Dortmund would drop pints after Hummels red card. Has Hummels really improved Dortmunds defence
I sure almost dropped my pint after that red card :-/ Happy to get the points, not happy with the display, considering we had and early 2:0 lead. Both yellows for Hummels were due to clear cut errors by himself (even though you could clearly see he wanted to back out of the tackle against Lukebakio, it was simply too late), bad afternoon for him. Wasn't his first bigger error in recent weeks (initiated the second goal for Barcelona during the week for example) yet I still think he is one of the best performers in the team if you look at the season so far. Needs to minimize those errors in the upcoming games of course.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This is like one of those games on FIFA/FM that causes serious hardware damage.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This game is such a meme. Great from Bender though.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No way Leverkusen can keep Bayern out for longer, eventually they will find their finishing boots and start scoring. Gnabry has been a shadow of himself this season, didn't see his first couple of chances but that pass to Perisic when one on one, bad decision and execution because the pass was soft.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
No way Leverkusen can keep Bayern out for longer, eventually they will find their finishing boots and start scoring. Gnabry has been a shadow of himself this season, didn't see his first couple of chances but that pass to Perisic when one on one, bad decision and execution because the pass was soft.
I guess you mean match ;)