Bundesliga 19/20

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why is this anyway? Seems really odd, capital city club, historic ground. Quite an old club too.
You have basically answered your own question. Hertha stumbled upon the biggest city and the biggest stadium in Germany and they have always been what is commonly called a "grey mouse" in German. They were never really successful (quite the opposite actually), they never really polarized, they never really stood for good football, they never really had iconic footballers, their club anthem is basically some depressed guy singing "we're not going home" over and over again, they could never fill their stadium and their fan culture is probably ranked just one step above the plastic clubs.
Now they are getting some ridiculous investment (yet again) because of the privilege of being the capital city's football club and they are making a proper mess of it.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great prospect. Is in training with the first squad since some time. Favre, which i critisize for doing to less for young players, says only good words about him (which is not so often, that he speaks about some player) and took him with the first squad to training grounds and so on and testet him out. That should mean something.

In the end it is like with all our good prospect in the last years: If the player is in such state: getting good words in public about himself from the coach or Zorc, getting more and more playtime, its very possible that at least he will end as a professionell player in some league. If its enough to proof value in a team like BVB, one of the best in europe, is another question. I just want to mention (as only one example) Passlack, winner of the golden medal of DFB youth players, who was in the beginning more than good, but it turned out that for BVB its too less.
Zorc always said, if a player coming from BVB youth academy is capable of playing professional football in a good league, the task is complete. If its more and the player is good enough to help the BVB with its high standard its even better.

So you have to wait whats about Raschl. First impressions are great. Especially cause of good young players for the the position he is playing are rare, or the other way around: playing his position with a combination of different skills is always welcome in modern football.
Thanks for the response!

Your team has pretty much the same views as us in regards to our acedmies. It's not all about getting players through to play for the first time even though that is the main goal. We like to help our players forge a career regardless of whether they end up good enough to play for us or not.

As for Raschl, he's definitely one I like the look of. He reminds me of a Arthur/Verratti style volante in that he seems very press resistant.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Coutinho - Very small chance - especially considering his wage and transfer sum
Perisic - Big chance that he stays. But Bayern wants to pay less for him. Could be an extension of his loan for another year, too.
How much does Inter want?

Also @Damien , would it be okay to open an extra matchday thread for the weekend? Otherwise this one will get flooded with match comments and I prefer to keep it as a general talk.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How much does Inter want?

Also @Damien , would it be okay to open an extra matchday thread for the weekend? Otherwise this one will get flooded with match comments and I prefer to keep it as a general talk.
This thread has been both general chat and match thread, but with the situation of the Bundesliga being the first major league back in action, probably prompting higher post rate, I don't see the issue in having a new thread for the weekend.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think I'm going to follow Borussia Monchengladbach - what do the pros think?

Intrigued by Plea, Embolo, Thuram, Zakaria and so on. Seems like a good young core.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think I'm going to follow Borussia Monchengladbach - what do the pros think?

Intrigued by Plea, Embolo, Thuram, Zakaria and so on. Seems like a good young core.
I'd say that's a good choice.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Why is this anyway? Seems really odd, capital city club, historic ground. Quite an old club too.
What you describe calls itself Union Berlin. No one needs Hertha. At Union you find great atmosphere, historic ground, a club based on its fans, character.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll be watching Dortmund v Schalke, Eintracht v Gladbach and then Bremen v Leverkusen on Monday. Think i'll skip Sundays games although Bayern is on but imagine that will be a fairly easy game for them.

Blackwidow

I'll be watching Dortmund v Schalke, Eintracht v Gladbach and then Bremen v Leverkusen on Monday. Think i'll skip Sundays games although Bayern is on but imagine that will be a fairly easy game for them.
It is a restart of the league with special conditions - so nobody can really say what happens and how players will cope with the situation. Union - Bayern could be an easy match - or we will be in for a surprise. Some big teams have lost at Union this season including Dortmund.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It is a restart of the league with special conditions - so nobody can really say what happens and how players will cope with the situation. Union - Bayern could be an easy match - or we will be in for a surprise. Some big teams have lost at Union this season including Dortmund.
Yeah but that was with fans after being promoted for the first time. Now it'll be a training match atmosphere where Bayern is just way way stronger. I reckon you guys will trash them.

Blackwidow

Yeah but that was with fans after being promoted for the first time. Now it'll be a training match atmosphere where Bayern is just way way stronger. I reckon you guys will trash them.
You never know.

The coach of Berlin has been absent from training since Wednesday out of personal reasons - and as somebody of his closer family has died will not be at the match Sunday.

Blackwidow

Pizarro. His daughter tested positive Monday. But he left the training Tuesday (announced it was because of muscular problems). (Bild...)

---------------------

Great story by Gnabry in The Athletic

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...portant-thing-in-life-serge-gnabry-bundesliga

Scorer this season:

Non-Penalty Goals + Assists/90
1. Jadon Sancho • Dortmund 1.45
2. Thomas Müller • Bayern Munich 1.27
3. Serge Gnabry • Bayern Munich 1.12
4. Robert Lewandowski • Bayern Munich 1.10
Timo Werner • RB Leipzig 1.10
6. Christopher Nkunku • RB Leipzig 0.99
7. Marco Reus • Dortmund 0.90
8. Philippe Coutinho • Bayern Munich 0.85
9. Thorgan Hazard • Dortmund 0.81
10. Breel Embolo • M'gladbach 0.79
Alassane Pléa • M'gladbach 0.79
Kevin Volland • Leverkusen 0.79

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Pizarro. His daughter tested positive Monday. But he left the training Tuesday (announced it was because of muscular problems). (Bild...)

---------------------

Great story by Gnabry in The Athletic

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...portant-thing-in-life-serge-gnabry-bundesliga

Scorer this season:

Non-Penalty Goals + Assists/90
1. Jadon Sancho • Dortmund 1.45
2. Thomas Müller • Bayern Munich 1.27
3. Serge Gnabry • Bayern Munich 1.12
4. Robert Lewandowski • Bayern Munich 1.10
Timo Werner • RB Leipzig 1.10
6. Christopher Nkunku • RB Leipzig 0.99
7. Marco Reus • Dortmund 0.90
8. Philippe Coutinho • Bayern Munich 0.85
9. Thorgan Hazard • Dortmund 0.81
10. Breel Embolo • M'gladbach 0.79
Alassane Pléa • M'gladbach 0.79
Kevin Volland • Leverkusen 0.79
I see this as a big problem. You can't just come up with some injury when it is about COVID19 (even if it is not him personally who got it). This can be so wrongly used in many ways and if you are not transparent about this clubs and football would get into more trouble than it is.

However, today it is on. Let's see if it feels like real football or some frendly game BCD.

90 + 5min

Second Bundesliga kicks off in 30 minutes!
Watching Bochum against Heidenheim in the first half. I know that moneymen want football to be played and it is nice to see little bit of football (even if I say that it shouldn't be played) but this is just wierd. Even players look like they are wondering what they are doing there without fans. Wierd wierd feeling here. Do you have that as well, if you are watching the same game? We'll see if that is feeling when Bundesliga starts or if it feels better.

Another thing that we all already knew. Social distancing can't be done in football. Hands everywhere, touching, clapping and so on.

Blackwidow

The goal show of the 2nd Bundesliga had the three leading clubs (Bielefeld, Hamburg and Stuttgart) all catching a goal against in overtime and with that losing or drawing... - you then for sure do not care about if it was with or without fans if the action on the pitch offers enough entertainment...

TheLord

Some in Germany were suggesting that the Dortmund vs Schalke match could have a television viewership close to one billion !

Does anyone have any concrete viewership figure?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Some in Germany were suggesting that the Dortmund vs Schalke match could have a television viewership close to one billion !

Does anyone have any concrete viewership figure?
I think it was Rummenigge - and thus it shouldn't be taken seriously - who made a claim like that. I read that the broadcast shattered some records for the German market (which isn't surprising given the context), but I have no idea about the international viewership.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Mainz are frustrating to watch. So many chances to score yet crap end product/selfishness always seems to win out

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Where are the fullbacks in the Bundesliga? They always seem non existent and the wide attackers have so much space - is it a tactic or more likely a result from a tactic surely?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Where are the fullbacks in the Bundesliga? They always seem non existent and the wide attackers have so much space - is it a tactic or more likely a result from a tactic surely?
They push up the field to support attacks. Which affects both directions, as the space them can be exploited by quick counter attacks, whereas if their team plays out their position well they can create 2v2 or 2v1 situations out wide which the other team can't defend.

Last edited:

Bebestation

They push up the field to support attacks. Which affects both directions, as the space them can be exploited by quick counter attacks, whereas if their team plays out their position well they can create 2v2 or 2v1 situations out wide which the other team can't defend.
I know Bayern have some nice attacking fullbacks/wingbacks and are looking at buying some others - but do they play so aggressively to the point where they always leave an area to be countered or do they play with the intention of covering spaces whenever someone goes for a run? Bayern have always in theory anyway reminded me of a solid defensive team atleast in the past and I watched some videos how they have been improving that a bit more recently- the fullbacks seems so focused on attacking in the Bundesliga that it's not a surprise that inverted forwards and strikers are consistently deadly. Literally 3 vs 2 can be spotted most attacks.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I know Bayern have some nice attacking fullbacks/wingbacks and are looking at buying some others - but do they play so aggressively to the point where they always leave an area to be countered or do they play with the intention of covering spaces whenever someone goes for a run? Bayern have always in theory anyway reminded me of a solid defensive team atleast in the past and I watched some videos how they have been improving that a bit more recently- the fullbacks seems so focused on attacking in the Bundesliga that it's not a surprise that inverted forwards and strikers are consistently deadly. Literally 3 vs 2 can be spotted most attacks.
A couple of teams (the "modern ones") use 2-3-5 or 3-2-5 as their attacking formation, which naturally leaves a lot of space behind their players and relies on "Gegenpressing" to keep the opposition from exploiting them. When that fails you can get caught out badly, another classic situation where fullbacks can get exposed is when a team tries to pressure their opponents high up the pitch and get caught out.

Bebestation

A couple of teams (the "modern ones") use 2-3-5 or 3-2-5 as their attacking formation, which naturally leaves a lot of space behind their players and relies on "Gegenpressing" to keep the opposition from exploiting them. When that fails you can get caught out badly, another classic situation where fullbacks can get exposed is when a team tries to pressure their opponents high up the pitch and get caught out.
That's fair city and liverpool play 235 variations too - with pep influencing Bayern and Klopp influencing Dortmund I can see how this might have left a tactical imprint on the league-but then City and Liverpool dont ever look like they get dominated consistently in to a space so I assume it's the quality of player trying to press too much and attack too much at the same time possibly?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's fair city and liverpool play 235 variations too - with pep influencing Bayern and Klopp influencing Dortmund I can see how this might have left a tactical imprint on the league-but then City and Liverpool dont ever look like they get dominated consistently in to a space so I assume it's the quality of player trying to press too much and attack too much at the same time possibly?
You say it's too attacking and too much pressing, but in reality it's a calculated risk.
What they lose in defensive safety they aim to gain in control over the ball and attacking threat.

Dortmund have been a good example of that this season. They began as many PL watchers seem to think best, 4231, a "safe" double pivot of Witsel + Delaney, often the much more defensively astute and less adventurous Piszczek over Hakimi at RB and a rather risk averse pressing. They played 13 games like this, scored 29 conceded 22, got 1.5 points per game on average and were basically about to sack Favre.
Then he switched to 343, played Hakimi + Guerreiro out wide, Brandt at CM instead of Delaney, allowed the team to press much more aggressively and in the following 13 matches they scored 43 goals, conceded 11 and got 2.6 points on average.

For teams lower down the table it's the question of whether they want to be dominated and hope to catch a lucky break or whether they want to try and force a mistake, but risk conceding a counter attack themselves.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

According to facebook, Leverkusen should be our (United fans) new team. This was based on position prior to the league being continued, seeing as both teams are 5th.

How long has Havertz been playing up top?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
According to facebook, Leverkusen should be our (United fans) new team. This was based on position prior to the league being continued, seeing as both teams are 5th.

How long has Havertz been playing up top?
Volland is injured for the rest of the season but I don't know why Alario is on the bench, otherwise he would start as the striker.

Tah not starting, seems Bosz doesnt trust him in a 2 man defense. He has played in a 3 man central defense but for 2 man Tapsoda has been starting recently.

Walters_19_MuFc

Volland is injured for the rest of the season but I don't know why Alario is on the bench, otherwise he would start as the striker.

Tah not starting, seems Bosz doesnt trust him in a 2 man defense. He has played in a 3 man central defense but for 2 man Tapsoda has been starting recently.
Thanks.