Bundesliga 19/20

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
5-1 home loss to mid table team with nothing to play for.:annoyed:

Thought it was really dodgy at the end but I have no idea why Hamburg players would watch to sabotage their own season.

Pagh Wraith

Dresden fans and players outside the stadium after they were relegated today:

Last edited:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
The board members, players and the coaching staff of Hamburg are a disgrace :mad: .....they are so lucky there were no fans in the stadium.

But the whole 2.Bundesliga quality is a joke....Stuttgart are going up with 58 points :houllier: and Bielefeld should only have a chance with fans.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Noted git Clemens Tönnies has resigned as chairman of Schalke 04. That's a step in the right direction. Around 10 more good steps might see them turn into something other than an embarassment disguised as a football Club.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Here's a source for Tönnies resigning. Good riddance. Makes you wonder whether this is connected to the (federal) state guaranteeing a €40m loan for Schalke.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
The sum seems adequate, 80 or even more would have meant to massively overpay, he isn't *that* good compared to the options already in the squad. *if* we lose Thiago and Alaba, they still need to up the ante on further additions for the midfield (as in Havertz, it would be madness to let him move elsewhere, reminds me of the De Bruyne-situation)

Last edited:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The sum seems adequate, 80 or even more would have meant to massively overpay, he isn't *that* good compared to the options already in the squad. *if* we lose Thiago and Alaba, they still need to up the ante on further additions for the midfield (as in Havertz, it would be madness to let him move elsewhere, reminds me of the De Bruyne-situation)

*if*
And where is Havertz supposed to play? Does he displace Lewa or Müller? Havertz is an answer to a question not raised. We need *proper* wingers for our play to flourish, and Leroy is one the best. His stats prove that btw, if you haven't seen him play.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The fee is nice, but I am not a huge fan of the signing in general. Got a bad feeling about this.
I mean there are question marks on how well he regains his form after the long injury, but we have that all the time.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Florian Neuhaus: I was excited for him but this season he doesn't seem to have developed more, I don't think he'll reach world class level or the level to be a star for Germany. Falls in the same category as Eggestein at Bremen.

Wirtz: Definitely like the look of him in the few matches he has played, but again not enough matches to fully judge his ability

Baier: Similar to Wirtz, not enough appearances to judge how talented he really is.

Tournarigha: Haven't seen him play a lot but did hear he's been consistent in the XI for 2020, keeping out Stark, who I like. He can be named if I'm also naming Tapsoba. Another one from Berlin is Meier, but he's been poor since his return from injury and isn't starting anymore for Berlin.

Suat Serdar: Nope, not talented for me. Never liked him at Mainz and never thought he'd do well for Schalke as well. Though Schalke is not the best place for a youngster to be playing right now, I don't think he's better than average.

Katterbach: I'll be honest, don't know of him.

In any case, none of these players are equal to talent of the German players I mentioned in my post, and also aren't as talented as the others.

We do have a good pool of talent at the age bracket above those others, such as 23 and above, where you have guys like Sane, Brandt, Gnabry, Sule, Goretzka, Kimmich (the batch that won the Confed Cup and U21 Euro championship in 2017). That's as talented a pool of players of that age you will get in many other countries, but sadly I think that's the last talented pool Germany will see in a while.
I'm going to bring the discussion over to here from the Transfer Tweets thread.

I personally think that the media & public haven't focused as much on these Germans in comparison to some of the other non-German young players. You're right in that some of them aren't as good as their predecessors (particularly Serdar, but he's winning me over slowly), but I think part of that perception's due to a lack of exposure. In Monchengladbach, Neuhaus (I, personally, liked the look of him) has been overshadowed by Thuram's goalscoring exploits, for example. Wirtz isn't getting much focus because of Havertz. The rest of the young players aren't even in clubs that are in/challenging for Europe, so they aren't getting as much attention by default.

Now there are more good players than just the ones that I mentioned (players like Klostermann, Nubel, and Dahoud). In my view, these players are either getting overshadowed by other players, or they're in clubs that aren't high enough in the table.

Pagh Wraith

Goalless between Bremen and Heidenheim in the first leg of the promotion play off. Really conflicted about this. Heidenheim would be another pointless addition to the Bundesliga but I'd love to see Bremen go down.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just saw the highlights but Bremen were really awful.
Almost every time Bremen went into the final third, they fluffed their chances or made a poor decision. There's little to chemistry between their attacking players, all of whom seem to be doing whatever they're comfortable with. They might be able to score and win in the 2nd leg by virtue of having better players, but their poor defence will give Heidenheim a chance.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Almost every time Bremen went into the final third, they fluffed their chances or made a poor decision. There's little to chemistry between their attacking players, all of whom seem to be doing whatever they're comfortable with. They might be able to score and win in the 2nd leg by virtue of having better players, but their poor defence will give Heidenheim a chance.
Their squad is poor but i still don't understand why Kohfeldt is so highly rated (He was linked with Dortmund in the last months).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Their squad is poor but i still don't understand why Kohfeldt is so highly rated (He was linked with Dortmund in the last months).
Their pressing game was really good when he first took over. Opposition teams were overwhelmed at how aggressive they were. Once they figured that out, though, we've seen how poor Bremen defend. Their defensive transitions are terrible and a reason for why they concede so many goals. To be fair, they are a decent side going forward, but certain players aren't a good fit for that team right now (like Sargent).

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Their pressing game was really good when he first took over. Opposition teams were overwhelmed at how aggressive they were. Once they figured that out, though, we've seen how poor Bremen defend. Their defensive transitions are terrible and a reason for why they concede so many goals. To be fair, they are a decent side going forward, but certain players aren't a good fit for that team right now (like Sargent).
Yeah they looked good for a few months but that was 1 1/2 years ago......i could understand if maybe Schalke would want him but no way a club with european ambition.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah they looked good for a few months but that was 1 1/2 years ago......i could understand if maybe Schalke would want him but no way a club with european ambition.
I agree, he's not good enough for Dortmund at this point. He'd actually be pretty good for Schalke given their squad, but I guess they're fully committed to Wagner at this point.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
But Bayern need a winger. Who would have topped your list?
With Thiago almost certainly leaving and Alaba who can play #6 too (Kimmich is the only RFB backup for Pavard), Tolisso, Coutinho and Martinez leaving, Cuisance maybe loaned out, there is a *major* shortage of midfielders; thought they wanted to add depth. If all of that happens, how many midfielders do we need to sign?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just saw the highlights but Bremen were really awful.
Always remember Hamburg staying up by skin of their teeth in the play off, think they drew both home legs and them got through with draws in away leg with away goals so think Bremen will score and will be tough for Heidenheim to respond to that. Moisander getting sent off near the end could be a factor in their backline being weaker for Monday though.

If you look at Bremen results since restart aside from Koln thrashing they hardly scored in the home games. Had some big away wins at likes of Paderborn and Schalke so guess likes of Rashica and Sargeant prefer having more space to run into.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If you look at Bremen results since restart aside from Koln thrashing they hardly scored in the home games. Had some big away wins at likes of Paderborn and Schalke so guess likes of Rashica and Sargeant prefer having more space to run into.
At home, though, they have played well enough to win games. They just didn't take their chances when it came to them. Regarding Paderborn and Schalke, both teams have been defensively poor since the restart, so Bremen's wins come as no surprise.

One thing I've noticed is how easily disheartened the team gets. They play with intensity and belief, and they stick to the game plan for the first ~20 minutes. The longer they aren't in a winning position, though, the more they lose their confidence, and they become slower on the press and more blunt in their build-ups.

CookieMonster

Supports
FC Bayern München
Neuer and Hradecky with the assist for Lewandowski. Very nice goal :drool:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The game is closer than the scoreline suggests. If not for Hradecky's generous help it would be squeaky bum time, as it is i just have a light sweat going.