Bundesliga 19/20

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Alaba very obviously dodged the question regarding his future at Bayern :(

Pagh Wraith

Was that the correct decision to award the penalty at the end? The Leverkusen player wasn't offside and the ball over the line before the whistle went. Couldn't they have given the goal?

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
In case the whistle went after the ball crossed the line, it was the wrong decision to award the penalty and the goal should have stood.
If the whistle went and the ball was still in play(which I doubt), it was the correct decision.
Still a great penalty by Havertz, although there was not much pressure on it.

I only watched watched the second half and I have to say that Leverkusen can be a tremendously infuriating team to watch. The amount of chances they wasted...they could have easily gotten something out of the match, if it wasn't for their lack of composure. It's a shame as the German cup will be most likely their only shot at a trophy for the next couple of years.

Reactions: van der star

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just watched the highlights of Leverkusen vs Bayern. Diaby looked very lively!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just watched the highlights of Leverkusen vs Bayern. Diaby looked very lively!
That’s why I don’t understand the alleged interest in Bailey (sp?). Diaby is a way bigger talent.

Blackwidow

If you did not like South African vuvuzelas - what do you think about German pans and cow bells...

izec

Crazy last minutes. Glad for Bremen.

i like Heidenheims manager. Watched a Netflix show a couple of years ago about managers' job and he came across great.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Bremen should have won this with more comfort, honestly. Once again, they didn't take their chances, and fear played its part as Bremen sank deeper and deeper. As it is, Bremen have deservedly stayed up, but they have to do so much more to stay up.

I wonder if Kohfeldt will remain as their manager after this season. He has a decent collection of players; they should be doing better than going through a relegation playoff.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Bremen should have won this with more comfort, honestly. Once again, they didn't take their chances, and fear played its part as Bremen sank deeper and deeper. As it is, Bremen have deservedly stayed up, but they have to do so much more to stay up.

I wonder if Kohfeldt will remain as their manager after this season. He has a decent collection of players; they should be doing better than going through a relegation playoff.
Personally I hate this play-off system Bundesliga have, If you've been shit all season and end in the bottom 3 you deserve to go down. Just my honest opinion, it just seems harsh that the team below's hardwork in their campaign goes unrewarded and is decided over two games on away goals. If it is the play-offs then at least scrap the away goals like they do in the play-off in England.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Personally I hate this play-off system Bundesliga have, If you've been shit all season and end in the bottom 3 you deserve to go down. Just my honest opinion, it just seems harsh that the team below's hardwork in their campaign goes unrewarded and is decided over two games on away goals. If it is the play-offs then at least scrap the away goals like they do in the play-off in England.
Regarding your first point, I get what you mean, but we grew up with the 3rd teams not having a playoff, respectively. I can accept a playoff and find it fair enough given that the Bundesliga has 18 teams instead of 20.

I agree with your second point, though. Germany's not that large a country where playing away would be enough of a disadvantage.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Relaxed. Could have a day like this every day.

Nickelodeon

Why is the playoff called Relegation 2020? Some guy just texted me that Bremen won Relegation 2020 and I didn't know where they ended up.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Why is the playoff called Relegation 2020? Some guy just texted me that Bremen won Relegation 2020 and I didn't know where they ended up.
Relegation is the German term for the play offs. Not to be confused with relegation in british football. The descent to the lower league (eithet direct or after Relegation) is called Abstieg.

Nickelodeon

Relegation is the German term for the play offs. Not to be confused with relegation in british football. The descent to the lower league (eithet direct or after Relegation) is called Abstieg.
I learnt something today

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
In the 2. Bundesliga relegation, Nürnberg won the first leg against Ingolstadt by 2-0. Both goals were scored by Fabian Nürnberger, yes, that's that guy's actual name :lol:

Last edited:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
In the 2. Bundesliga relegation, Nürnberg won the first leg against Ingolstadt by 2-0. Both goals were scored by Fabian Nürnberger, yes, that's that guy's actuall name :lol:
and that were his first goals in senior football for Nürnberg. Perfect timing :D

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Henrichs signs for Leipzeg on loan with option to buy.

Nice to see him back in the BL, hopefully he can improve under Nagelsmann and develop into a good player. Never thought he was a high potential player at Leverkusen but would like to be wrong cause he can be a good option for LB for Germany (Halstenberg is really good but old).

Pagh Wraith

Union Berlin plan to start the new season in front of a full crowd. Every spectator needs a negative Corona test that the club is going to pay for,.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
FCN hangs on to 2. Bundesliga by a hair after giving their 2-0 lead from the first leg of relegation away and trailing Ingolstadt 0-3 until injury time :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
After officially terminating his contract (in mutual agreement) with Dortmund two days ago, Schürrle today revealed in an interview wie SPIEGEL - titled: I don't need applause anymore - that he's ending his career, just 29 years old.

"the decision has been maturing within me for a long time"..."you always have to play [act] a certain role to survive within the business, otherwise you lose your job and won't get a new one either." Apparently he's often been lonely, especially when "the lows got lower and the highs got sparser", but the business didn't allow for him to show how he really felt.

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/andre-...l-mehr-a-00000000-0002-0001-0000-000172071849

I was about to post yesterday that both him and Götze, both World Cup final heroes, are out of contract now and seemingly discarded by the high end of the business. To say he's hinting at mental health issues is probably a big understatement, makes you wonder how much of a gilded curse that goal really might have been in the end.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Some drama coming up:
round 1 was apparently PSG's Leonardo telling the press that Meunier refused to stay on to see out their CL campaign
round 2 was Meunier firing some shots at Leonardo during an interview in Germany
round 3 saw Leonardo respond via the French press, denying Meunier's accusations and firing shots at German top clubs for raiding their academy in the process
round 4 brought Dortmund's Zorc into the mix, who stated that while he usually doesn't comment on the talk of other clubs in public he felt compelled to make an exception this time, because Leonardo mistakenly assumed it was Dortmund contacting the players, when according to him infact it's the other way around: player's families and agents from France contact them, because they see bigger opportunities and more potential for development there

Last edited:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
After officially terminating his contract (in mutual agreement) with Dortmund two days ago, Schürrle today revealed in an interview wie SPIEGEL - titled: I don't need applause anymore - that he's ending his career, just 29 years old.

"the decision has been maturing within me for a long time"..."you always have to play [act] a certain role to survive within the business, otherwise you lose your job and won't get a new one either." Apparently he's often been lonely, especially when "the lows got lower and the highs got sparser", but the business didn't allow for him to show how he really felt.

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/andre-...l-mehr-a-00000000-0002-0001-0000-000172071849

I was about to post yesterday that both him and Götze, both World Cup final heroes, are out of contract now and seemingly discarded by the high end of the business. To say he's hinting at mental health issues is probably a big understatement, makes you wonder how much of a gilded curse that goal really might have been in the end.
Always liked the guy, always seemed genuine and very reflected in the way he thought and saw his own role. I can see how he doesn't fit in today's pro footballs world and it's sad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Always liked the guy, always seemed genuine and very reflected in the way he thought and saw his own role. I can see how he doesn't fit in today's pro footballs world and it's sad.
I think it might be more than that. We have a couple of players in Germany who get elevated to extreme heights and scrutiny very quickly and then the public holds them to that standard for the rest of their careers. Schürrle probably peaked at Mainz or Leverkusen and normalized to the level of a decent Bundesliga player, but clubs like Wolfsburg and Dortmund kept signing him for €30m and expected a corresponding return - his record for the national team didn't "help" in that regard either I guess. Whatever he did it wasn't good enough. "He did okay, but for €30m you expect more", I don't think anyone ever seriously doubted his motivation, but still I hope he never read the things people wrote about him online, people are sometimes quick to forget that you don't become a robot, just because you earn filthy amounts of money...
Götze has a similar dynamic, several notches higher even and if he were to retire tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised.While I don't find him particularly likeable I have a ton of respect for how well he appears to deal with the insane pressure he has to be under, e.g. his first return to Dortmund, warming up in the catacombs, because of 70k people who used to "love" him expressing their hatred and then he comes on and plays as if nothing is going on around him, scores a goal even. Draxler is another one, he probably did the right thing in leaving Bundesliga. Schalke in particular did a number on him by elevating him to messiah status before he was allowed to drive a car.

Last edited: