Bundesliga 2018/19

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Höwedes and Mustafi are also world cup winning "FBs". It's one thing to try that stuff at the international level, where everything is less sophisticated, less daring and more pragmatic and safety first. But at club level, FB is one of the most demanding positions, especially when you want to play dominant attacking football like Bayern.
Having Pavard overlap for Gnabry won't give opposition coaches nightmares.
You cannot have a top-level Full back sitting down all season waiting for Kimmich and Alaba to get injured. In most cases, you need to put up with an inferior player covering the full back position like Delph. Rafinha Milner

Pavard and Hernandez played full backs for their clubs at different times and I think as full backs they can do a decent job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Union Berlin got a 2-2 at Stuttgart in 1st leg of play offs, I assume away goals count so they're in a very strong position to make Bundesliga now.

Would be cool to have two Berlin teams in top division. Also be incredible to see Stuttgart and Hamburg both in 2nd Bundesliga.

Blackwidow

Both Pavard and Hernadez can play FB. Pavard will be at least as good as backups as Rafinha has been, Hernandes has worldclass potential as a winger or in a back row of three. Kimmich is midfield-headed, most likely.

Müller had a couple of very good games after Löw sacked him, i wouldn't count him out and Bayern won't cut him ever, he's the last standing fan favourite after Rib/Rob. If he's leaving, it will be because *he* wants to, but him and his wife just built that huge horses paradise near munich, so i doubt he wants to.
He's a player whose value for a team is not easy to be judged and many a coach struggled with him at the beginning. He knows that at Bayern he has the best chance to be valued.

Agree about the wingers, with Coman more likely to rise from "good" to very good" than Gnabry.
If a midfield of Thiago, Tolisso, Kimmich, Goretzka is supported by a player like Havertz in a central attacking position, you won't need world class wingers, just very good ones.
Really? Let's talk about the chance conversion of Lewandowski and Müller in the recent months and then look at the following graphics.. - I underlined the data of the Bayern (and BVB-players) of the whole season - and added the data from understat.com from just 2019 (without all the data from the first part of the season when the team struggled) of the Bayern offensives. Bayern scored 52 goals in 17 matches since then - but if Lewy and Müller nearly weren't 7 and 5 goals below the expected values. Since January it was usually (with exceptions) Müller behind Lewy and Coman/Gnabry on the wing - or Gnabry left, Müller right and James on the 10.

Coman still needs time after the injuries. But I do not doubt his quality when he really is in form. Gnabry adapted more and more to the system in the recent months.

I actually think the biggest problem is the midfield in some matches especially against minors or when the match concept is too defensive. I hope that Tolisso on an 8/6 as a partner to Thiago might be an improvement to both Martinez and Goretzka as he seems to be better in the build up than both of them and is defensive enough to free Thiago to play more advanced in periods of the match.

(I changed this graphic of utdarena with data from understat.com https://t.co/mRzpvprryc - thanks to the Unitedfan who made it)

I do not know why we discuss Müller - he works his ass of both in offense and defense, organizes Bayern's pressing and is crucial for Lewy and the right wing.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The cup final has started. Bayern in red shirts, white shorts vs Leipzig in white shirts, red shorts... who allowed this? :houllier: :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Quality header by Lewandowski for the goal, quality through ball from Hummels for Coman's chance.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Weak finish from Coman, he was onside too.

And now Hummels fecks up the next giant chance. I see we'll get the equalizer soon, wasting chances like this :lol:

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Thrilling start...Stuttgart score with a pretty free kick but VAR correctly overrules it because of an offside position.

NYAS

This game is really cagey, understandably. Hope Stuttgart stay in there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What a save from the Berlin keeper just as the fireworks have started behind the goal.

Stuttgart finally showing some urgency.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Berlin players just kicking anything that moves now. :lol: 5 minutes added on.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
They did it!

Very poor performance today but nobody will care tomorrow.

NYAS

Hamburg and Stuttgart should both go straight up in the automatic promotion places next season. No excuses.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hamburg and Stuttgart should both go straight up in the automatic promotion places next season. No excuses.
Bit embarassing Stuttgart going down again with likes of Pavard, Ziegler, Mario Gomez and Ascaribar as regular players. I see Tommy Hitzlsperger is now involved in their coaching/sporting staff now.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Hamburg's financial situation might start getting rough with another season out of the Bundesliga.
It is already rough. Been so for years. Without Kühne, they would have been broke years ago.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
They said this for Hamburg this season too (Cologne and Hamburg).

Finally Union did it, congrats!

NYAS

Why do you rate them higher than Hannover and Nürnberg?
Hamburg's financial situation might start getting rough with another season out of the Bundesliga.
Why would Hamburg be better than this season?
It seems difficult to imagine such a big club relative to their city being allowed to fester down there even if their financial situation isn’t great. I know the Sunderland example is there for all to see but it would be truly embarrassing, they weren’t far this season and only finished a point behind Union so I would expect them to take it seriously. Hannover and Nurnberg are extremely poor - they seem to me like the type who would easily finish midtable next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It seems difficult to imagine such a big club relative to their city being allowed to fester down there even if their financial situation isn’t great. I know the Sunderland example is there for all to see but it would be truly embarrassing, they weren’t far this season and only finished a point behind Union so I would expect them to take it seriously. Hannover and Nurnberg are extremely poor - they seem to me like the type who would easily finish midtable next season.
Hamburg bottled it in a similar manner to Leeds. Were comfortably top 2 up to last 5-6 games when they blew up. To not even make the relegation play off was terrible. If you look at the stats though they only had a + 3 GD in the end. So many of their games were tight and low scoring. They only scored 45 goals compared to Paderborn's 76 goals.

This is despite having Lassoga, Aaron Hunt, Holtby and that Arp kid people rave about as attacking third options.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hamburg just give me the feeling that they never truly adjusted to their diminished position. Always signing some has-been, like van der Vaart, Hotlby, Hunt, Djourou, Jansen, Adler, Papadopoulos. Because they feel like they need a couple of "big" names on the team sheet?
Or giving mediocre players like Wood and Lasogga crazy wages.

At the same time they sold Badelj, Tah, Gregoritsch and Demirbay for a combined fee of less than €20mil.

I don't think Stuttgart is nearly as badly run though, they have clear concept and they sign highly rated DoFs like Reschke and Mislintat.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hamburg just give me the feeling that they never truly adjusted to their diminished position. Always signing some has-been, like van der Vaart, Hotlby, Hunt, Djourou, Jansen, Adler, Papadopoulos. Because they feel like they need a couple of "big" names on the team sheet?
Or giving mediocre players like Wood and Lasogga crazy wages.

At the same time they sold Badelj, Tah, Gregoritsch and Demirbay for a combined fee of less than €20mil.

I don't think Stuttgart is nearly as badly run though, they have clear concept and they sign highly rated DoFs like Reschke and Mislintat.
Add Son, Calhanoglu and Arp to that list. Hamburg has made many truly awful managerial decisions throughout the years. The club and it's representatives have some serious complexes, IMO, and were never willing to go the long, painful way. Always trying to take shortcuts to success, living in the past and in full denial of reality. No vision or innovation whatsoever.

That being said, Boldt could be a blessing for them. He did amazing at Leverkusen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Add Son, Calhanoglu and Arp to that list. Hamburg has made many truly awful managerial decisions throughout the years. The club and it's representatives have some serious complexes, IMO, and were never willing to go the long, painful way. Always trying to take shortcuts to success, living in the past and in full denial of reality. No vision or innovation whatsoever.

That being said, Boldt could be a blessing for them. He did amazing at Leverkusen.
Tbh I don't remember the context about Son leaving. I left out Calhanoglu and Arp on purpose, the former because he really did a lot to force his move to Leverkusen and the latter, because afaik his expiring contract forced Hamburg's hand.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Tbh I don't remember the context about Son leaving. I left out Calhanoglu and Arp on purpose, the former because he really did a lot to force his move to Leverkusen and the latter, because afaik his expiring contract forced Hamburg's hand.
Well, the Calhanoglu transfer went pretty ugly but that's partly due to Oliver Kreuzer (you know, the manager who lost copies of player contracts in a public park) who allegedly tried to exploit Calhanoglu's naivety. There's a reason Hamburg can't retain their biggest prospects and that's their unprofessional management. Some talents were never really appreciated (like Tah), others left because the HSV couldn't provide them a promising perspective (Öztunali, Arp).