Bundesliga 2018/19

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The thing with Bosz is his tactics are a bit naive..far too open and actually easy to break for the more cynical teams with enough quality of course.. but I admire him for such a bravery in the modern days where that kind of romantic way of playing football is rare.
Not saying you're wrong but out of curiosity, do you think the same about coaches like Guardiola or Ten Haag? After all, their approaches are quite similar. Always thought if anything, Bosz football is more suited to top clubs and if he fails at Leverkusen it is because tge players lack the quality to play his way (fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case).

DavidDeSchmikes

BBC said:
Former Huddersfield boss David Wagner is set to return to football as coach of Bundesliga club Schalke.

Wagner took a break from the game after he left the Terriers by mutual consent on 14 January.

However, the 47-year-old was always keen to return to management, either in England or Germany.

And BBC Sport understands Wagner has been in talks with Schalke about replacing interim boss Huub Stevens and becoming their head coach.

Schalke have had a difficult campaign and only eased their relegation worries with a surprise win over local rivals Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.

They appointed club legend Stevens as interim manager to the end of the season last month following the departure of Domenico Tedesco, who was sacked on 14 March following the embarrassing 7-0 Champions League defeat by Manchester City.

Wagner spent four years as coach of Borussia Dortmund's second team before joining Huddersfield in 2015.

He guided the Terriers to the Premier League in 2017 and then managed the even more remarkable achievement of keeping them there last season.

However, he left the club earlier this year with the now-relegated side bottom of the Premier League.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48107737

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Not saying you're wrong but out of curiosity, do you think the same about coaches like Guardiola or Ten Haag? After all, their approaches are quite similar. Always thought if anything, Bosz football is more suited to top clubs and if he fails at Leverkusen it is because tge players lack the quality to play his way (fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case).
No, I don't think the same because their approach is more cautious. Guardiola is the undisputed control freak among the managers and he can be very conservative if he thinks that's how he could have control of the game. Ten Hag also relies more of the structure of play and he can be pragmatic if it's needed (for example Ajax did not play from the back against Spurs)..while Bosz is all ""attack.. attack.. attack".. He is very Cruyffian in his views and I admire him for that but in my view that's a bit naive in today's football..

Blackwidow

Ok, Leverkusen won that match against Bayern short after the winter break

but
they lost the Cup against Heidenheim
tied twice with 1:1 and 0:0 against mighty Krasnodar and went out of the Europa League
lost against Gladbach (when they were still strong), Dortmund, Bremen, Hoffenheim, Leipzig (all top 8)

and won against
Wolfsburg, Mainz, Düsseldorf, Freiburg, Hannover, Stuttgart, Nürnberg and a Frankfurt in between the Europa Cup semi finals.

Actually apart from Bayern all of that were must wins for a team like Leverkusen.

Leverkusen is not a team made of youngsters. Havertz is. Brandt just might be 23 - but played his first Bundesliga season 2014.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
5 teams with 51 to 54 points fighting for rank 4 to 7

How in the world did Wolfsburg get into that position? Would hate it if they get into the top 4. A bunch of average players overperforming, similar to Schalke last season. The only player I would think as being worthy of playing for a top side is Arnold.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
SportBild reporting (in very committal terms) that Demirbay to Leverkusen is all but done for close to €30m.

Kicker reporting it on their own as well now, putting the fee at €32m.

Hard to imagine them committing such a sum without selling either Brandt or Havertz? Especially since CL money is far from certain at this point?

Last edited:

Blackwidow

No offense but Leverkusen are one the last teams I expect to be consistent come the pressure situations :p being young, they can fold any time.
Where is your young team?
The team from yesterday had 5 players from 88/89 - already too old for the German national team...
Wendell, Alario, Volland are born 92/93 and are now 26 or 27
Tah and Brandt might be "only" 23 but are in their 5 or 6th Bundesliga season
Havertz is the only really young player

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Big bad Bayern

Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga in 1998 immediately after promotion

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Leverkusen confirmed the capture of Demirbay on a 5 year contract. Kicker puts the fee at €32m, comfortably making him their record signing ahead of Alario (€24m) - hopefully that one will work out a bit better for them.

To repeat myself. I think this means they will be selling either Brandt or Havertz, since I neither see all three of them fitting into the team nor do I see them spending so much money for a luxury option.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leverkusen confirmed the capture of Demirbay on a 5 year contract. Kicker puts the fee at €32m, comfortably making him their record signing ahead of Alario (€24m) - hopefully that one will work out a bit better for them.

To repeat myself. I think this means they will be selling either Brandt or Havertz, since I neither see all three of them fitting into the team nor do I see them spending so much money for a luxury option.
Really interesting signing. €32m is a hefty price and I wouldn't have expected Leverkusen to follow through on that. I love Demirbay as a footballer and have been following his development since he came through the Dortmund youth (he also spent a lot of his youth at Schalke and Wattenscheid). Has always been great to watch on his day, maybe a bit inconsistent. It certainly did not help that he went to Hamburg I guess. At Hoffenheim he is finally consistently showing his potential. I hope for Leverkusens sake that he can keep that consistency up now, which is not a sure bet in my opinion. He may still be great in Bosz's system so I am excited to see how he does there.

I agree that Leverkusen will probably sell one of their youngsters to make room or rather Demirbay is a replacement for one of them. I can see Havertz staying for another season. Right now he should command a hefty price and I neither see Bayern coughing up that kind of cash nor do I see him moving abroad yet. For Brandt on the other hand it seems like a good point in his career to make a move. He is 23 now, has established himself at Leverkusen and if they miss out on CL football I can see him jump ship. Not sure if it is going to be to my club and I am not sure if I want that either but out of those two he seems the more logical transfer even if you don't consider his supposed release clause.

memelord

The way I see it is that if Leverkusen miss out on the CL, then he'll come in as the replacement for Brandt. However, if they reach the CL, he'll come in as a rotation player for their mdifield to sustain their triple load (he's also defensive minded enough to play on the 6 in their system).

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I can see Havertz staying for another season.
If they make it into the CL, this is the most likely outcome, very much to my chagrin. Still, he's definitely our prime midfield target and

Right now he should command a hefty price and I neither see Bayern coughing up that kind of cash
he ain't gonna get any cheaper next year. I think it depends on the player. We've splashed out 85m for Lucas, I'm pretty sure the club would even meet the 100m figure asked for by Völler.
Question is, will he force a move? Going by his last statements, a lot will indeed depend on where B04 is going to end up. So, I'm *really* hoping for them to finish 7th or 8th.:D

For Brandt on the other hand it seems like a good point in his career to make a move. He is 23 now, has established himself at Leverkusen and if they miss out on CL football I can see him jump ship. Not sure if it is going to be to my club and I am not sure if I want that either but out of those two he seems the more logical transfer even if you don't consider his supposed release clause.
It's going to be either BVB or some club abroad, but I'm certain he'll move regardless how they end their season. As you've said, he's 23 now, and it's about time for him to score some lucrative contract.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The way I see it is that if Leverkusen miss out on the CL, then he'll come in as the replacement for Brandt. However, if they reach the CL, he'll come in as a rotation player for their mdifield to sustain their triple load (he's also defensive minded enough to play on the 6 in their system).
I think it would be a very big step from being a CM in in Nagelsmann's 532/4312 to being the anchor in Bosz's 433, especially since the latter has preferred Baumgartlinger over Aranguiz (who seems closer to Demirbay in comparison) for that role.
But regardless of that it would make a lot of sense on paper to bring in Demirbay now, either as a direct replacement for Brandt or with the view to ease him into being a starter when a slot opens up next season.

Yet we're talking about Leverkusen here and not Bayern, Leipzig or Dortmund. It's not as much about what would make sense from a sporting perspective, as it is about what they can actually afford. Looking at previous years it doesn't look like they can actually (net) spend a lot of money, if any.
€32m could be easily more than their entire transfer budget, even with CL money. I reckon their defense needs that money more than their midfield depth.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If they make it into the CL, this is the most likely outcome, very much to my chagrin. Still, he's definitely our prime midfield target and

he ain't gonna get any cheaper next year. I think it depends on the player. We've splashed out 85m for Lucas, I'm pretty sure the club would even meet the 100m figure asked for by Völler.
Question is, will he force a move? Going by his last statements, a lot will indeed depend on where B04 is going to end up. So, I'm *really* hoping for them to finish 7th or 8th.:D

It's going to be either BVB or some club abroad, but I'm certain he'll move regardless how they end their season. As you've said, he's 23 now, and it's about time for him to score some lucrative contract.
I simply don't know how crazy Bayern are willing to go on the market this summer window, I am sure you would know more about that than me. I know Hoeneß as announced a transfer offensive and I am sure they are willing to spend big. But two players for €185m still seems like a gigantic amount for their standards. I'm not saying Havertz will cost €100m or that Bayern won't spend that much, it just seems unlikely to me. Then again Havertz would be exactly the kind of signing Hoeneß loves and I rate him extremely likely. My take on the situation would be that Havertz may be too expensive for Bayern (this season and next as well if he keeps his performances up) and will be moving abroad. If this were indeed the case (a lot of guesswork on my part obviously) I could imagine he stays one more season at Leverkusen before taking the step abroad which might come too early yet. We will see, very interesting lad.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The Demirbay Transfer will have nothing to do with a possible Brandt or Havertz departure. He plays a deeper role in midfield and is probably the replacement for Aranguiz who will leave back to Chile in 2020.

Brandt might leave this summer if we miss out on the CL again anyway, but the Demirbay move is completely independent from Brandts situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The Demirbay Transfer will have nothing to do with a possible Brandt or Havertz departure. He plays a deeper role in midfield and is probably the replacement for Aranguiz who will leave back to Chile in 2020.

Brandt might leave this summer if we miss out on the CL again anyway, but the Demirbay move is completely independent from Brandts situation.
I thought Leverkusen's midfield basically consists of Baumgartlinger as the anchor plus two out of Brandt, Havertz, Aranguiz next to him. But even so the question kind of remains the same: can Leverkusen afford to invest €32m net into their midfield? I wouldn't rule it out categorically, but history suggests the likely answer is: no.
Bailey might pay for him, too, but Paulinho isn't ready for a major role yet, is he? And if they stick Brandt on the wing his big reason for staying would kinda go out of the window.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I thought Leverkusen's midfield basically consists of Baumgartlinger as the anchor plus two out of Brandt, Havertz, Aranguiz next to him. But even so the question kind of remains the same: can Leverkusen afford to invest €32m net into their midfield? I wouldn't rule it out categorically, but history suggests the likely answer is: no.
Bailey might pay for him, too, but Paulinho isn't ready for a major role yet, is he? And if they stick Brandt on the wing his big reason for staying would kinda go out of the window.
Baungartlinger has only come in after the injury to Bellarabi, before that it was Aranguiz-Brandt-Havertz in midfield but with Bellarabi out Havertz has gone to the RW role and Baumgartlinger as a the DM.

As for the Demerbiay signing, I disagree that he is a defensive midfield signing. His style is very similar to what we're seeing Havertz and Brandt play so it is likely that Brandt will be leaving and Demerbiay coming in for him. Last season Geiger was playing as the DM with Demerbiay a more box to box, this season with Geiger's injury Grillisch is given the more defensive role.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Baungartlinger has only come in after the injury to Bellarabi, before that it was Aranguiz-Brandt-Havertz in midfield but with Bellarabi out Havertz has gone to the RW role and Baumgartlinger as a the DM.

As for the Demerbiay signing, I disagree that he is a defensive midfield signing. His style is very similar to what we're seeing Havertz and Brandt play so it is likely that Brandt will be leaving and Demerbiay coming in for him. Last season Geiger was playing as the DM with Demerbiay a more box to box, this season with Geiger's injury Grillisch is given the more defensive role.
I know Bosz started his tenure with Aranguiz as the anchor, but Baumgartlinger started the last 10 league matches in a row. Even the ones where technically every attacking player was fit. That didn't last long though, so it's hard to say whether it was for tactical or fitness reasons that Baumgartlinger got all those starts in a row.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You're both wrong. Since Bellarabi's injury, Bosz plays with four midfielders. In possession, this is a 3-6-1 formation with Weiser/Bender on the right, Bailey/Volland on the left side and Wendell, Tah and Bender as centrebacks. Aranguiz and Baumgartlinger play as deep midfielders, Brandt and Havertz as 8/10 hybrids in front of them and behind the lone striker Volland/Alario. This formation was very successful for us in the last matches. If we stick with it, we could play Aranguiz, Demirbay, Brandt and Havertz simultaneously.

I also think the Demirbay transfer has nothing to do with Brandt. Realistically, Havertz, Brandt and Aranguiz will all have left come 2020. It would have been really dumb to not sign Demirbay when the chance occurred since we can plan with him for the next 3-4 years at the very least.

I'd say the thinking behind it was something like "okay, if we make it to the CL, we can pay the fee through that. If not, we have to sell somebody".

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well, we haven´t re-invested the €20m we got for the Henrichs transfer to Monaco last summer. €32m is a lot of money for our standards, but I don´t think it´s impossible that we can pay such a sum once without the need of selling somebody else.

Baumgartlinger came into the team afer both our wingers in Bailey/Bellarabi got injured, same for Alario. I don´t expect him to be a regular starter next season but a very nice player to rotate.

marktan

If it stays like this then final day will be really interesting, Bayern play Frankfurt and Dortmund play Monchengladbach, both of whom are on similar points and fighting for a top 4 position.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I fecking hate Schalke. Ruined both Dortmund title challenge and now Leverkusen UCL chances. Such a pathetically average side as well, won't even get relegated as well. Hope they do next season.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Monchengladbach passes Leverkusen on 4th, and hopefully Eintracht will do the same tomorrow.

It's battle of Borussias in last round though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Jeez Dortmund last 5 minutes, could easily have been 3-3.:houllier:

They have been a mess at the back second half of the season. Dusseldorf only had 10 men aswell.