Bundesliga Gameweek 26 | #Footback keep this thread football only (Covid free zone)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The English commentators have been horrible thus far (not that the BL commentators have ever been great), it seems they are more effected by the lack of crowd than the players. Completely unenthusiastic and don't seem to commentate on the build up of chances until the very end.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do Schalke actually have any strikers on the pitch. I know Caliguari from Wolfsburg but he's more of a midfielder. Where's Burgstaller?
They are playing Raman upfront. Not for the first time this season either. Burgstaller is painfully mediocre, so it's not odd for him to sit on the bench. I guess Wagner hoped for Raman's pace and trickery (relative to the rest of the squad) to have an impact on counter attacks.

Poor from the Schalke keeper. You don't lose ability to kick the ball over halfway line from not playing a game in 9 weeks.

Anyway a decent half in the circumstances. Schalke just have nothing upfront.

Schalke's keepers are a quite the story this season. They had an option to extend with Nübel but forgot to exercise it in time, then when they made a normal offer for an extension his agent said "first you didn't want to, now it's too late", so went into the season with his contract expiring, apparently turning down a couple of decent offers (€10+m) and hoping to convince him to stay after all by making him their captain. They also signed another promising GK talent in Schubert from 2nd divion's Dresden. Long story short: Nübel made some errors, got send off and suspended accordingly for four matches around the turn of the year, right when he announced his move to Bayern. Schubert then enters the goal, there's a lot of talk about him displacing Nübel for the rest of the season, but then he blunders horribly too, so Nübel returns into the starting XI after his red card suspension, but then he keeps blundering again, so they switch back to Schubert, who too, can't keep from blundering.

RyRy11

So what are the rules like in terms of substitutions? I know they used four in 2. Bundesliga earlier today. Same for Bundesliga?
5 subs allowed over 3 periods. I also think you can only make a maximum of two subs at a time too

Zoo

That was a shit goal. How has Wagner got this job?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So what are the rules like in terms of substitutions? I know they used four in 2. Bundesliga earlier today. Same for Bundesliga?
You're allowed to make up to five substitutions, but only on three occasions (to prevent extra time wasting).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Schalke are playing a training match judging by their attack that led to Dortmund goal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This match is turning into a bit of a beating.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Schalke are playing a training match judging by their attack that led to Dortmund goal.
That's something I am really interested in seeing in terms of no fans. How many players will be able to gear themselves up mentally with little to no atmosphere? Schalke look so lethargic and like you say, as if it is a training game and they aren't still competing for something.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That was a shit goal. How has Wagner got this job?
The feck is this defending :lol:
It's less about how they defended than it is about how they lost the ball, all their central midfielders within like a 4m² space, it was too easy for Dortmund to choke their move and there was too much space behind them. Quite similar to the 2:0, there too, the turnover was 90% of the goal.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They are playing Raman upfront. Not for the first time this season either. Burgstaller is painfully mediocre, so it's not odd for him to sit on the bench. I guess Wagner hoped for Raman's pace and trickery (relative to the rest of the squad) to have an impact on counter attacks.

Schalke's keepers are a quite the story this season. They had an option to extend with Nübel but forgot to exercise it in time, then when they made a normal offer for an extension his agent said "first you didn't want to, now it's too late", so went into the season with his contract expiring, apparently turning down a couple of decent offers (€10+m) and hoping to convince him to stay after all by making him their captain. They also signed another promising GK talent in Schubert from 2nd divion's Dresden. Long story short: Nübel made some errors, got send off and suspended accordingly for four matches around the turn of the year, right when he announced his move to Bayern. Schubert then enters the goal, there's a lot of talk about him displacing Nübel for the rest of the season, but then he blunders horribly too, so Nübel returns into the starting XI after his red card suspension, but then he keeps blundering again, so they switch back to Schubert, who too, can't keep from blundering.
Very good description of the current keeping situation for Schalke :D

They are such a horribly run club. When you consider the amount of talent they have coming through its amazing that they consistently feck them up.

Nubel looks talented though but hes clearly not in the right frame to play. And Schubert, has people have already mentioned, is sh*te.

izec

The only question is how good is Bayern after the break. Dortmund and them will play it out for the title, the rest is not consistent enough i believe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's something I am really interested in seeing in terms of no fans. How many players will be able to gear themselves up mentally with little to no atmosphere? Schalke look so lethargic and like you say, as if it is a training game and they aren't still competing for something.
It's a good question. Don't think it will be issue at start of games when it's 0-0 and you just get into a rhythm.

More interested if a top team is 1 down with 20 minutes left. All those Man. United late comebacks under SAF when it would be wave after wave of attack towards the Stretford end.

Will be interesting if teams losing can pen the opposition back into their 18 yard box without a home end roaring them on. Every team has a game in a season where home fans have turned a half into an unexpected win.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It is indeed interesting.
The lack of a real crowd presence cuts down heavily,in my view, interms of pressure and expectancy.

I also think we'll see a fair amount of more ambitious efforts at goal too.

Paxi

Yeah it is interesting but id expect that as essentially we had a summer break nearly so I want to see how teams perform over next couple of fixtures. I expect them to pick up over next couple of weeks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Berlin go 1 up. Just watched about five minutes of them taking long throws. :lol: Bruno Labbadia in charge of them now.

Paxi

He’s about Schalke not using the other actually quite good goalie they have because that one has agreed to a move to Bayern.
Another one? Bayern really are something. :lol:

Cloud7

Watching this match has made me think, how can one not love Dortmund as a club? Obviously for Bundesliga rivals they have reason to not like them, but for everyone else.

Dortmund always play an entertaining, attacking brand of football, and their team is usually made up of some of the brightest upcoming stars in world football, rather than the top 10 players brought in for world record fees or mercenaries just looking for a paycheck. Dortmund represent a lot of what is good about football.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In general I think Dortmund will suffer a lot from a lack of atmosphere as there is a wide rift between their home and away form (their results against Bayern being the most obvious indicator of this). However I think in these derbies, where Dortmund usually massively outclass Schalke in terms of talent, I think it has actually been the opposite recently, Schalke often been on fire, closing the gap in quality with aggression and energy, while Dortmund were nervous and rarely lived up to their ability. The game today however has played out exactly as you would have to expected in a vacuum, for once Dortmund seem crisp and focused and Schalke are outclassed.

Paxi

Schalke getting destroyed. Haland with a goal and an assist.

Red Stone

Dortmund's attacking movement is really good considering they're playing without both Reus and Sancho. Schalke are seriously underwhelming, mind.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Quick reminder that Guerreiro is actually Dortmund's left back.