Burnley sack Sean Dyche

Remember the geese

I went to our away game at Burnley and there is this lovely little Indian restaurant just down the road from their ground. For that reason, I'm a bit disappointed they went down.

avgp_1

I thought they were a financially well managed club and supposed they would bounce straight back up if went down. What happened?

MUW4Eva

I thought they were a financially well managed club and supposed they would bounce straight back up if went down. What happened?
The takeover happened, it was a leveraged buy out, similar to what the Glazers have done with us....
Check out the links I posted earlier on.

SungSam7

Stoke and Pulis?
To be honest with Pulis, you could see they were slowly edging towards the drop.

Didnt do too bad under Mark Hughes but when they decided to try to push out of their comfort zone with the Shaqiri, Bojan and Afellay transfers is where they started to well and truly go into real danger. Add in that waste from PSG, Jese, then they didnt really have guys who would fight till the end.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Dyche had an increasingly tense and difficult relationship with the previous owner Mike Garlick. He was especially furious at the end of the 2019/2020 season when the contracts of several first team players were left to run down and expire after a failure to agree extensions, publicly criticising the club's hierarchy at the time. Then to compound matters he was barely given any money during the following summer transfer window - their most expensive signing during it was Dale Stephens for less than £1 million from Brighton. All in all, Dyche leading Burnley to a 10th place finish that season, with a higher points total than what Leicester and Brighton finished with this season, was some achievement. There were strong rumours that he would leave the club at the end of that season.

Previously Dyche had been far more patient than the vast majority of other managers would have been, about the fairly limited resources available to him (certainly for modern day Premier League standards). In fact following the 2014 promotion (achieved after the club only paid a transfer fee for one player Ashley Barnes during the 3 previous transfer windows), he fully supported money being diverted away from his transfer budget on to improving their training facilities. Most other managers wouldn't have been so understanding.

Garlick is getting quite a bit of flack now from Burnley fans for not supporting Dyche more, selling to ALK capital knowing full well how dangerous it could be for the club etc.

Jezpeza

The takeover happened, it was a leveraged buy out, similar to what the Glazers have done with us....
Check out the links I posted earlier on.
they still get over £90m plus parachute payments for relegation. It wont be impossible to pay that £65m off but Mcneil and Pope will be going and they will be losing the out of contract guys as well as having an ageing squad and little to invest in team. Cant see them coming back

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
To be honest with Pulis, you could see they were slowly edging towards the drop.

Didnt do too bad under Mark Hughes but when they decided to try to push out of their comfort zone with the Shaqiri, Bojan and Afellay transfers is where they started to well and truly go into real danger. Add in that waste from PSG, Jese, then they didnt really have guys who would fight till the end.
IIRC, Pulis actually showed some signs of evolving and improving Stoke's style of play, especially during the 2010/2011 season when they had Etherington and Pennant tearing down the wings and reached the FA Cup final (they also had some of their best league performances around that period). But then that style of play regressed again, especially during his final season in charge there, and more and more Stoke fans were becoming increasingly dissatisfied. A large number of them thought that he'd reached the end of the road wanted a managerial change before the end of 2012/2013. A Pulis special was zero shots on target in away games. While I don't think there was any serious danger of them going down not least because there were going to be 3-4 teams worse than them, during his final season there I think they were only a couple of points above the relegation zone with a few games left, before a couple of big wins moved them to safety.

Also adjusting for inflation, Pulis definitely had stronger relative financial resources available to him at Stoke compared to Dyche at Burnley, with him being generously backed by Peter Coates / Bet365.

Hughes improved the team's league finishes (they never finished in the top 10 or reached the 50 point threshold under Pulis) and style of play during his first 3 seasons there. IIRC the starting point of their slow decline under Hughes was probably the painful League Cup semi-final defeat against Liverpool in 2016.

Last edited: