Burnley sack Sean Dyche

lsd

The Oracle
It's strange how well they've done since Dyche went. Maybe some of the players had an issue with him?

Are they playing better football I wonder like when we got rid of Jose and suddenly the shackles were off

Jezpeza

Surprised that they have turned it round. If they win their next two games against watford and a ground to a halt villa i think thats bye bye everton and the relegation fight sewn up with a few games to spare

I’m loving my life

Dyches motivational speech:

Footballs are meant to be kicked, kicked hard.

Opponents are meant to be kicked, kicked hard.

Exhaustion without pleasure, success without finesse

If you want a drink, have a beer. If you want a new car buy a Kia.

Shit. Pie. Barbed wire. More shit.

My knowledge was gained in the quarries of Nottinghamshire and the pie shops of Kettering

Industry without pleasure, long balls at your leisure. Nothing soft, nothing girlie, if your that way inclined have a Curlywurly

There's no such thing as a friendly, cos there's no such thing as friends

All I ask is for grit, graft and gammon!!! And that’s the Burnley way

Stig

Think Dyche had just got set in his ways a little with regards team selection.

Jack Cork barely started a game all season. Nothing fancy about him but he can dig in and protect the back 4 reasonably well. Started all the games since Dyche went.

Dwight McNeill bench warming recently was also odd as even when he's not in form he's still someone who can get Burnley up the pitch quickly. Vydra also not started much so those are three players who've had a new lease of life since he went.

Have to say James Tarkowski been brilliant at the back, him and Pope gives them such a solid base to build on particularly at home.

Think two more wins will be enough for them so very nearly there if they win at Watford, fancy them to finish above Leeds with this momentum.

Sounds like a good scouting report for ETH.

RR says our scouting department is pants, so you maybe in for a job if you send a few bright emails like this to current-manager@manutd.com

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Are they playing better football I wonder like when we got rid of Jose and suddenly the shackles were off
I think vast majority of players would have massive respect for Dyche. Without his work most of them would be playing in the championship. But as ever some were on the fringes for ages so new management will always be a clean slate for some and performances reflected that so far.

Sylar

What a Decision so far

Interested to read the first few pages of this thread

Lecland07

I think they probably would have stayed up, anyway. Burnley have shown time and again they can do this.

IrishRedDevil

Clowns on football forum overreact when a crap manager is sacked. Shocker.

Crazy that a football team can actually play football.

432JuanMata

Still think that nobody will do better at Burnley in the long run than Sean did but no doubt this change was right and even if it is just a new manager bounce so be it as it’s going to save them

Cloud7

The hysteria over sacking a manager who was leading them straight into relegation was ridiculous. As usual. There’s always such a massive uproar when a manager is fired.

acnumber9

The hysteria over sacking a manager who was leading them straight into relegation was ridiculous. As usual. There’s always such a massive uproar when a manager is fired.
The hysteria was born from the fact he was sacked because he’d achieved too much previously. He’s performed miracles keeping them up every season and even if they stay up this season they’ll do well to find somebody who can do likewise with the budget Burnley have.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The hysteria was born from the fact he was sacked because he’d achieved too much previously. He’s performed miracles keeping them up every season and even if they stay up this season they’ll do well to find somebody who can do likewise with the budget Burnley have.
It's not just this case though, even managers who do objectively crap jobs get riddled with sympathy and outrage on their behalf once they get a well deserved P45 (Bruce at Newcastle one of the latest examples).

Also Dyche's previous record is probably why he lasted so long in the season, with no credit in the bank to fall back on there's not a snowball in hells chance he survives 1 win in 21.

Cloud7

What he did in the past is irrelevant to what is happening in the present. Burnley were heading to relegation under him, now it looks like they might escape it. He was quite rightly gotten rid of for underperforming in the present.

acnumber9

What he did in the past is irrelevant to what is happening in the present. Burnley were heading to relegation under him, now it looks like they might escape it. He was quite rightly gotten rid of for underperforming in the present.
Were they underperforming or were they performing just as that group of players should have? Ultimately it looks like working short term. I wouldn’t jump to assuming that it will long term.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It's strange how well they've done since Dyche went. Maybe some of the players had an issue with him?
I think expecting players to never get bored of that kind of style is a big ask. Players generally don't want to be in defensive-minded sides forever.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City

We only do it for English managers too. If an Italian got sacked after delivering barely any wins all season nobody would be calling it a bad choice.

Skills

Snitch
I think expecting players to never get bored of that kind of style is a big ask. Players generally don't want to be in defensive-minded sides forever.
I think players in general just need something different after a while. You either let them go elsewhere or you give them a new coach to simulate them again.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m putting money on them to go down next season. I’ve seen this play out so many times. Club sack long standing manager who brought so much stability. New manager comes in gets a bounce and everyone starts reacting saying “ahh maybe that manager wasn’t so good, maybe this new manager can do better…”. Next season rolls around, afew bad results pick up and suddenly they no longer have the experience or personality to deal with it and the absolute lack of quality comes home to roost. Certain it’s going to happen.

CM

They've obviously done well since they've made the change but I can definitely envisage a scenario where Burnley go down with a whimper next season if they do manage to stay up.

Dyche might not have been the most glamorous manager in the game but he was a very stable one. It's a different proposition keeping a team like this in the league over the course of an entire season.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I know plenty of Burnley fans, and not one of them wanted Dyche to be sacked at the time. Yes there were definitely Burnley fans who thought he had reached the end of the road and it was a time for a change, but I think they were clearly in the minority, an increasing minority but still a minority. Then again, quite a few fans from what I gather thought that he would leave the club at the end of the season regardless of whether they stayed up or not, especially with growing friction between the owners and him. Most Burnley fans I heard on 5 live and Talksport disagreed with the decision.

I think it was a different story compared to Stoke sacking Pulis in 2013 or Brighton sacking Hughton in 2019 for example, where large numbers of fans, while appreciating the excellent work that they had both done, completely agreed with those decisions. Adjusted for inflation, Pulis had a noticeably bigger budget at Stoke thanks to the backing of Peter Coates and Bet365, than Dyche has had at Burnley (millionaires in a league of billionaires).

I remember when Huddersfield sacked Lee Clark in 2012, there was widespread outrage from fans of other clubs, but many Huddersfield fans (including most of the ones that I spoke or listened to) completely agreed with it.

Nickosaur

Fair to say most of us (me included) might look a bit silly now, but when the majority of Burnley fans also had the same reaction, it's clear it was a very risky move.

Fair fecks, seems to have worked...!

phelans shorts

I think players in general just need something different after a while. You either let them go elsewhere or you give them a new coach to simulate them again.
It’s not really a players thing, it’s just a life thing. If you hear the same thing delivered in the same way time and again it’ll not have the same effect and get zoned out. There’s nothing to suggest the current hodgepodge setup is saying/doing anything different, aside being from a different voice

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It’s not really a players thing, it’s just a life thing. If you hear the same thing delivered in the same way time and again it’ll not have the same effect and get zoned out. There’s nothing to suggest the current hodgepodge setup is saying/doing anything different, aside being from a different voice
Now that's not true. Several of the players who have looked good in this winning run weren't being utilised much under Dyche, and they're definitely playing a more positive style now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’m putting money on them to go down next season. I’ve seen this play out so many times. Club sack long standing manager who brought so much stability. New manager comes in gets a bounce and everyone starts reacting saying “ahh maybe that manager wasn’t so good, maybe this new manager can do better…”. Next season rolls around, afew bad results pick up and suddenly they no longer have the experience or personality to deal with it and the absolute lack of quality comes home to roost. Certain it’s going to happen.
If they do their due dillegence in their manager search there's no reason to suggest they can't kick on similarly to what Saints and Brighton did after sacking Adkins and Hughton respectively (decisions that caused similar outrage) especially if signings like Cornett and Weghorst become regular.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If they do their due dillegence in their manager search there's no reason to suggest they can't kick on similarly to what Saints and Brighton did after sacking Adkins and Hughton respectively (decisions that caused similar outrage) especially if signings like Cornett and Weghorst become regular.
Their team is absolutely awful though. You can’t play positive football with those players.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Their team is absolutely awful though. You can’t play positive football with those players.
Maybe as it stands but a couple of good signings and clever use of the loan market (I assume they won't be blacklisted with a more progressive manager in charge) can change everything, look at Palace.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I actually paid no attention to whom Burnley's coach is at the moment. Turns out his name is Michael Jackson. I learned that today.