Burnley sack Sean Dyche

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Obviously as a Blackburn fan, I'm delighted that they've been relegated. We also get 2 local derbies against them next season.

I was worried that the flurry of 10 points from 4 games after sacking Dyche would be enough to see them stay up, but thankfully not !

With the nature of their finances and their leveraged buyout (even me as someone who despises them was concerned about that), I wonder how this effect them going forward. Obviously parachute payments give relegated teams such a big advantage in the Championship, but there was a feeling that relegation would affect them harder than other clubs.

On paper they've also sacked a manager who has previously got them promoted twice before, and both times in very impressive circumstances.

Man-United

Obviously as a Blackburn fan, I'm delighted that they've been relegated. We also get 2 local derbies against them next season.

I was worried that the flurry of 10 points from 4 games after sacking Dyche would be enough to see them stay up, but thankfully not !

With the nature of their finances and their leveraged buyout (even me as someone who despises them was concerned about that), I wonder how this effect them going forward. Obviously parachute payments give relegated teams such a big advantage in the Championship, but there was a feeling that relegation would affect them harder than other clubs.

On paper they've also sacked a manager who has previously got them promoted twice before, and both times in very impressive circumstances.
Only good thing about Burnley being relegated today (them or leeds) is the derby against Blackburn. Massive rivalry that and been a while now since!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Only good thing about Burnley being relegated is the derby against Blackburn. Massive rivalry that and been a while now since!
I'm really looking forward to those games. We've been a mid-tablish Championship club for the past 4 seasons, so anything that adds extra spice and excitement to our season is always good. It's cool that us, Burnley, Preston and Blackpool will all be in the same division for a series of Lancashire derbies.

In 2015/2016, we were the better team in both games but lost them both, but then again we had a quite a bit of luck against them in previous games.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but I prefer Leeds being in the Premier League as they make it more interesting. They stir up such strong emotions either way with a large fanbase plus so many people hating them (when they were in the Championship they were usually on Sky more times than most Premier League clubs). Plus if they get it right, still a big if, they could realistically reach the level of Leicester under Rodgers in previous seasons, West Ham under Moyes etc.

Red_toad

Can they get him back? No idea what the owners were thinking, he constantly got them to out perform the ability of the players and they sacked him and expect things to improve :lol:

Man-United

I'm really looking forward to those games. We've been a mid-tablish Championship club for the past 4 seasons, so anything that adds extra spice and excitement to our season is always good. It's cool that us, Burnley, Preston and Blackpool will all be in the same division for a series of Lancashire derbies.
Yeah, and also got the Watford v Luton rivalry back with fans finally also. If only Sheff W got promoted but can't get everything.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Can they get him back? No idea what the owners were thinking, he constantly got them to out perform the ability of the players and they sacked him and expect things to improve :lol:
Yes the fact that they stayed up for so long, with 2 top 10 finishes along the way, was a testament to what an excellent job he was doing. They were clearly overachieving given their resources and spending, and continuing to keep them up was always going to prove increasingly difficult. Obviously 1 win in the first 21 games this season was not good at all (from their perspective - I didn't mind !), but it's not like they were marooned with no chance of staying up. And at that stage, it's not like they'd been routinely battered every week, as the vast majority of their games were very competitive. But failing to build on the big win over Everton with that limp defeat against Norwich would have been very frustrating.

The fact that the vast majority of Burnley fans wanted to Dyche to stay and weren't calling for him to be sacked (it was only ever a very small minority), was very telling. It was very different to the situation at Brighton in 2019 for example, where a large number of their fans completely agreed with the decision to sack Hughton. Even quite a lot of Stoke fans thought that Pulis had reached end of the road in 2013 and wanted a change.

Then again had they stuck with him and regardless of whether they stayed up or not, there were some rumours that he'd leave at the end of the season anyway (though they've been rumours like that during the past few seasons).

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
They only looked like surviving when they sacked him he was clearly taking them down and deserved the push

PoTMS

The only reason Burnley got relegated was because they didn't get rid of Dyche soon enough.

siw2007

Almost stayed up on the new manager bounce! Unless they can attract a good coach, I don't think we will see them in the premier league for a while.

Acole9

Outstanding
Still think they would've stayed up with him in charge. I don't think they'll be back.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Still think they would've stayed up with him in charge. I don't think they'll be back.
On what basis? Keano said the same on Sky but I just can’t understand why he/you/anyone would think that.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
The only reason Burnley got relegated was because they didn't get rid of Dyche soon enough.
Yep.

The people who think he would have kept them up - I question how much of Burnley you saw with him in charge this season. Total dogshit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Jackson took 11 points from 8 games so that's a pretty good record at any stage of the season for a very limited squad at prem level.

Dyche managed that from early December to middle of April this season and they didn't even win a game until 30th October so as ever with a relegated team most of the damage was done pre xmas.

Seems Vincent Kompany is their number one target although no idea if he'll take the job with them in championship as that would be big gamble to his reputation.

Daniel Farke also linked, I think that would be smart appointment given what he did at Norwich.

Acole9

Outstanding
On what basis? Keano said the same on Sky but I just can’t understand why he/you/anyone would think that.
He's been there before and got them over the line and I think he would've done it again. The caretaker tried his best but he's just a coach, they should've tried to get a stop gap manager in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
With Dyche I think it's a bit similar to Howe and Bournemouth, gravity just sucked down a small provincial club with limited budget in the end (although Bournemouth spent way more than Burnley if you compare respective spends in their 5-6 years up).

Interested where Dyche ends up next anyway, think it will have to be top half championship. Probably be job chances at likes of West Brom or Sheffield United soon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's been there before and got them over the line and I think he would've done it again. The caretaker tried his best but he's just a coach, they should've tried to get a stop gap manager in.
I was surprised when they sacked Dyche they didn't get in a Big Sam type stop gap but ultimately Jackson got a decent tune out of them, 10 points from first 4 games so I really don't think anyone else could've come in and done better. And they still ended up 3 points short of safety.

They were actually 9 points behind Leeds when Dyche was sacked so Everton winning the home games they needed to win finished them off more I'd say.

caid

They've been such a shit, dirty, boring team in their time in the league that I'm not in the slightest bit sorry to see them go. I know i was supposed to be hoping for a leeds relegation but in terms of quality and entertainment its just impossible to support burnely over them

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yep.

The people who think he would have kept them up - I question how much of Burnley you saw with him in charge this season. Total dogshit.
Yep. Ironically it was almost certainly previous that meant he survived 1 win in 21, that's Derby 07/08 standard.

always_hoping

The usual ego driven owners who thought they could do better with another manager while ignoring Dyche had them punching well above their weight.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Was worth a try as they were in the same way we were before sacking Benitez. No hope. Should have signed Sir Frank up.

MUW4Eva

The usual ego driven owners who thought they could do better with another manager while ignoring Dyche had them punching well above their weight.
Reminds me a bit of Charlton and Alan Curbishly, as soon as they sacked him, they plummeted down.

Some managers are just a good fit for a club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Reminds me a bit of Charlton and Alan Curbishly, as soon as they sacked him, they plummeted down.

Dyche didn’t really show anything though in the games remaining that he could keep them up. They took a gamble and it almost saved them as they just didn’t win enough games under Dyche. 4 games won in 30 games is atrocious.

I think they need to step away from him like Bournemouth did with Howe. Sometimesa style and manager suits a team perfectly, it goes wrong and then the best thing to get them back to ‘normal’ is change. Look at Bournemouth now with Parker for example.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Yeah, people are kind of looking at this the wrong way. Was he great this season? No. Would he have kept them up? Probably not. Was he their best chance of bouncing back again next season? Certainly.

Personally, with the squad turnover and financial changes they have to make, I would say they've got one chance of coming back up or they're doomed to the Champo-League 1 for a decade or so.

MUW4Eva

Burnley are in a very precarious position financially now, due to a leveraged buy out, that sadly seems all to familiar....

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Looks like Winter is coming for Burnley.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think they’ll be back up for a while

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good point. Certainly adds interest from a neutral's perspective as well.