Kick-off
Sat, 30 August 2014 @ 12:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 17 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TraffordMist

corse they will bloody win. our strikers cant hit a barn door at the moment, and weve just made that fat shit our skipper after he slapped in 2 Transfer reqs, hopeless club these days we are! FML!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

FlapR

Even though last night was a shambles, put out a full strength team and smash them to get a bit of confidence back.

Mr. Meeseeks

If Herrera is back, Rojo is available, Di Maria is ready and some of our others are on form I'd be surprised if we don't win this one. But then I've said something along those lines in the last 2 EPL matches. I think Di Maria will give us a much needed confidence bump and maybe we'll stop playing the 5-3-2 system which simply hasn't worked competitively for us (and it would seem a waste to stick Di Maria as a wing-back). Play 4-3-3 and a few things go our way and I'd expect a comfortable 2-0, even with our poor start.

Predicting something like this:

DDG
    Rafael---Jones---Smalling---Rojo
    Herrera---Mata---Fletcher
    Di Maria---RvP---Rooney​
    I like the look of that. And maybe Kagawa on for RVP 2nd half with Rooney moving upfront.

Johan77

Almost every Madrid-supporter I know of, and many "in-the-know" out there, says that Di Maria can be very frustrating on the wing, magical one game, abysmal the next. Everyone says that he is phenomenal in a midfield 3 in front of a defensive midfielder covering his back. Yet, most on here think he will play out wide on the left (or right). Di maria himself said yesterday that he believe he will play at the same position in United as he did last year in Madrid, to the left of the midfield 3, he never said on the wing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Herrera / Fletcher and Di Maria have all played a 3 man midfield before, so I think that is the way to go.

Hopefully Rafael is back and fit? Rojo playing as a left back will probably be for the best to get him bedded into the league.

Play Rooney RVP and Januzaj as the front 3 and let them roam around, with Di Maria staying slightly wider to the left as a semi-winger when Rooney cuts inside.

I think the 3-5-2 right now is a step beyond our players, we need to go back to something more comfortable and rework it in the future.

manusteve

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Smalling Rojo
    Herrera Fletcher DiMaria
    Januzaj RvP Rooney

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
    De Gea

Jones Blackett Rojo

Valencia Fletcher Mata Herrera Young

Rooney RVP

I can see ADM coming off the bench. He's only had one pre-season game after all.

manusteve

De Gea

Jones Blackett Rojo

Valencia Fletcher Mata Herrera Young

Rooney RVP

I can see ADM coming off the bench. He's only had one pre-season game after all.
    I really think it's time to ditch the three central defenders. Reverting to four in defence is easier than the original decision to play three.

AdM should be fit enough. He played some of the first RM v Atletico match. Also, United's need is urgent.

sokol11

I really don't think the issue is the 3-5-2 formation. I don't give a piss about yesterday's game as the first 11 was a joke to begin with (Hernandez, Anderson for example). If I look at the previous game vs Sunderland the 4 players that were utterly shit were Fletcher, Cleverley, Young and Valencia. And to make matters worse they played very important positions in 3-5-2 formation. Valencia and Young should have provided penetration, width and defensive cover on the wings. The only thing Young provided was a poor backpass in the second minute of the game if I recall correctly that almost cost us a goal. Coupled with his fault for losing his marker for a goal vs Swansea he is a big factor in the poor results in the first two league games. Valencia other than the hopeful pass for Mata goal in the first game didn't do anything of note in the offensive sense. He can't get past his man, and he doesn't put a quality cross in. Fletcher was a disaster vs Sunderland in the first 15 minutes of the game I think he lost 5-8 balls under no particular pressure. He and Cleverley other than sideways passing didn't contribute anything in the offensive sense and didn't help the defense either. So the defense was under to much pressure because of shit mid and wingbacks. Te biggest problem was on the left side where Blackett had to deal with his shaky nerves and with Young's defensive incompetence as well. The same was with the attack as the three of them can't take on 8 men behind a ball if the wings and CM's dont contribute anything. So as soon as we put at least two competent CM's in the middle we will be alright (make a pick from Herrera, Carrick, Di Maria, Vidal). Rojo will be a massive upgrade on Young at wingback and I think vs Burnley we can tear their right side apart with Rojo-Di Maria knowing each other well playing on our left side. And we desperately need Shaw and/or Rafael to get back to provide some width. Shaw and Rojo as backup for LWB will be alright, but the right side with Rafael and Valencia is looking light with their injury record. All in all with Rojo and Di Maria in the side I hope we will be able to overcome Burnley.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    He may have phrased it like an illiterate, but it was strange behaviour of the club regarding Rooney
    I mainly liked the "FML!!!!!!!!!!" bit, with the subsequent angry face.

Rooney wasn't my choice of captain either. But if not him, then I don't see who else it could be. We are completely lacking in leaders.

Should have just given it to David De Gea, for being the best human being.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    I mainly liked the "FML!!!!!!!!!!" bit, with the subsequent angry face.

Rooney wasn't my choice of captain either. But if not him, then I don't see who else it could be. We are completely lacking in leaders.

Should have just given it to David De Gea & Mata, for being the best human beings.
    Fixed ;) and agreed

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
    --------- De Gea -------------

Rafael --Smalling -- Jones-- Rojo

------Herrera -- Fletcher------

Di Maria --Rooney -Mata

---------Welbeck------------

RVP off the bench, he isn't fit yet.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    I like the look of that. And maybe Kagawa on for RVP 2nd half with Rooney moving upfront.
    It actually looks like a very capable team on paper imo. And although being a bit overcrowded in areas can make selection difficult, its gives us options if something simply isn't working in a game.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
    Supports
    Liverpool
    With young and valencia as the wingbacks, you've basically taken out your fullbacks from last year and replaced them with a centreback and an attacking playmaker.

I think even teams like Burnley will fancy scoring goals against that.

Glanville95

XI:

de Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Blackett
    Fletcher
    Cleverley - di Maria
    Mata
    Januzaj - Rooney

Subs: Amos, Evans, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, van Persie, Hernandez
    This is under the assumption that Herrera and Smalling are still not ready to return otherwise the former displaces Cleverley.

1-3 and a di Maria inspired performance.

United98

dont wanna see fletcher or cleverley at our midfield.
    if herrerra not able to play, I prefer Andreas Pereira.
    if we dont sign additional midfield, Give that position to Phil Jones.

----------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------
    ----------Rafael----------Smalling------------Rojo-----------Blackett-----------
    --------------------------Jones------------Pereira-----------------------------
    -----------------------------------Mata---------------------------------------
    -----------------Rooney-----------------------------Di Maria-------------------
    ----------------------------------Van Persie-----------------------------------

that should be enough to grab our first three point.

Last edited:

nutmegrush

I wonder who will get injured this weekend...

This isn't a prediction, but it's fun.

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Blackett Rojo
    Fletcher
    Di Maria Mata Januzaj
    Van Persie Rooney​

Monoya10

--------- De Gea -------------

Rafael --Smalling -- Jones-- Rojo

------Herrera -- Fletcher------

Di Maria --Rooney -Mata

---------Welbeck------------

RVP off the bench, he isn't fit yet.
    If we use this line-up, i'd rather have Welbeck on the LW and Mata behind Rooney

khoazany

Based on who played on Tuesday:

de Gea
    Jones - Rojo - Blackett
    Rafael - Cleverley - di Maria - Young
    Mata
    RVP - Rooney
    Subs: Amos,Valencia,M.Keane,Januzaj,Wilson,Welbeck,Fletcher

Monoya10

Based on who played on Tuesday:

de Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Blackett - Young
    Cleverley - di Maria
    Mata
    RVP - Rooney
    Subs: Amos,Valencia,M.Keane,Januzaj,Wilson,Welbeck,Fletcher
    Young shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. We're better off with Rafael - Keane - Jones - Blackett - Rojo (or some version of that)

khoazany

Young shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. We're better off with Rafael - Keane - Jones - Blackett - Rojo (or some version of that)
    I'll agree with you on that but like I said my prediction was based on the Tuesday line-up.If it's my choice then sorry, I'd better off with Pereira or Pearson instead of Cleverley.

ZDwyr

Feeling confident, think we can snatch a point here.

But in all seriousness I think we'll stutter to a draw. It's getting to the point where as long as there is some kind of performance improvement I'll be satisfied.

Monoya10

I'll agree with you on that but like I said my prediction was based on the Tuesday line-up.If it's my choice then sorry, I'd better off with Pereira or Pearson instead of Cleverley.
    Fair enough. I was just looking at the back line and noted that Young's first two performances have been shocking too. As for the rest of your selection, i'd agree that Cleverley should be dropped but i wouldn't settle with a midfield two with ADM there, we'll get run over quite easily there. Sad thing is that there's no way to fix that since none of the players we have are strong enough defensively (in a big game, i'd play Jones there if we're desperate).

santeria13

Sublemon
    Fellaini's first touch is so bad that there is no way he can play as a defensive midfielder. He is in no way better than either Fletch or Clev in that position.
    He is, and I can show you the stats to prove it. Since when did Fletcher and Cleverley have a good touch?? Did you not watch our last game? It is not the most important attribute of a defensive midfielder anyway.

For reference, this is the three of them, and carrick who is better than all 3, compared in defensive stats last season:
    http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...ces/blocks/aerial_duels_won/defence_score#avg

Fellaini has far better defensive stats than Cleverley and Fletcher. Touch is not so important when you are a shield in front of the defence.

revel911

What players are clearly not playing this upcoming weekend?

Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Lingard .... Is that it? Maybe Kagawa after the concussion?

Havak

Pokemon master
    de Gea
    Valencia Jones Blackett Rojo
    Fletcher Herrera
    Mata
    Di Maria van Persie Rooney
    --
    Amos; Smalling; Cleverley, Young, Januzaj; Welbeck, Wilson​

Might favour Smalling or Jones at Right Back, or could still persevere with the 352... I'd keep Blackett in the side as he's looked good and Evans had an absolute mare against MK Dons.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
    I think we'll draw there and it won't be a bad result all things considered.

santeria13

Sublemon
    -----------De Gea---------
    Rafael--Evans--Rojo---Blackett---
    -----------Jones---------------
    -----Herrera----Di Maria-----
    ------------Mata------------
    -----Januzaj-----RVP---------

I would like to see this(a 4-4-2 Diamond) Evans was dreadful last game but he seems a lot more comfortable in a back 4. Jones as a CDM . Herrera and Di Maria our midfielders, with Di Maria being the more advanced(where he is most effective, with a box to box midfielder and a DMF behind him). The change in our play through the middle with this formation would be immeasurable. One of Rooney/RVP dropped. With this formation we need to stretch defenses with at least one of the strikers and Rooney/RVP aren't really capable of this. Di Maria will provide a bit of width on the other side along with Blackett and Rafael moving up the field at the right moments.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

santeria13

Sublemon
    I don't like jones in midfield. He's too clumsy IMO.
    I'm not a fan either but our other midfield options don't exactly fill me with confidence either :lol:. Jones sole job would be defensive duties here though, with Di Maria and Herrera more than capable of carrying out the attacking duties. Someone like De Jong, or even Carrick there instead would make this formation perfect imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
    I'm not a fan either but our other midfield options don't exactly fill me with confidence either :lol:. Jones sole job would be defensive duties here though, with Di Maria and Herrera more than capable of carrying out the attacking duties. Someone like De Jong, or even Carrick there instead would make this formation perfect imo.
    Is Herrera fit for tomorrow? I thought he wouldn't be given he just started training. Would be a huge positive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions