Busby

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Not sure if it's already been posted but done a quick search, couldn't find anything so thought I would share this, I imagine everyone is aware of it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Looking forward to seeing that, hopefully MUTV will pick it up eventually.

Directed by Joe Pearlman and from the producers of ‘The Class of ’92′ and ‘Sunderland ‘Til I Die’, ‘Busby’ premieres in Manchester on 11 November before release on digital (15 November) and DVD and Blu-ray (18 November).

https://www.the42.ie/busby-film-trailer-4873364-Oct2019/

mark_a

I'll get my usual oar in and say that I'm betting there's little on Jimmy Murphy and nothing on Joe Armstrong. The latter having almost completely been erased from United history.

None of this takes away from Matt Busby, his 2 first signings on joining United in 1945 were Jimmy & Joe! With Joe he gained a fixer and older influence at the club and a ready made network of scouts in Manchester and further afield as Joe was scouting for City before the war. With Jimmy he got the man that could coach and motivate the boys Joe had found.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sir Matt must be turning in his grave at the way we are playing these days

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You realise what happen in 1974 dont you? He'd seen us in much worse times than these
I actual thing we were better in 1974. I saw a large number of games and at least we were good to watch (most of the time)

NWRed

anyone seen this yet?
It's on Rakuten. Very good, the period from '52 to '69 is the main focus of the documentary. Some interesting parallels with now in terms of how players are brought through, the fact Bobby Charlton's was promoted later than many others as they thought he was too physically slight (take note Angel Gomes). Munich dominates the middle part obviously. Then explores the journey to winning the European Cup. There is some overlap with the Official History documentary with an interview with Bobby Charlton being repeated and some clips used again but most of it will be new if you didn't live through it and I'd say it's required watching for any united fan (or player for that matter).

Cockney Phil

I'll get my usual oar in and say that I'm betting there's little on Jimmy Murphy and nothing on Joe Armstrong. The latter having almost completely been erased from United history.

None of this takes away from Matt Busby, his 2 first signings on joining United in 1945 were Jimmy & Joe! With Joe he gained a fixer and older influence at the club and a ready made network of scouts in Manchester and further afield as Joe was scouting for City before the war. With Jimmy he got the man that could coach and motivate the boys Joe had found.
I thought Jimmy got reasonable and fair coverage, with his son contributing to the content.

manichester

It is a very compelling watch especially as I am approaching my 70th birthday, so many memories from the 50's and 60's. Every employee of Manchester United shouldbe made to watch this and understand where the club came from especially the owners and Woodward. Recommended for alll supporters.

mark_a

I thought Jimmy got reasonable and fair coverage, with his son contributing to the content.
Fair point. Not seen it, but I bet there was zero mention of Joe Armstrong. The best contact for that info would have been his son (my Dad), now it's me. Needless to say, the phone didn't ring. Grandad was left out of the BBC Munich programme too, I believe the late Sandy Busby stated that to the press at the time that Joe should have been in. Jimmy, Joe and Les Olive kept the club running after Munich. That's the truth of it.

I have been interviewed by the more clued up authors (e.g. Wayne Barton) and contributed to MUTV programmes, but sadly more often no-one even asks about the 3rd member of the "3 muskateers" as Jimmy Murphy referred to them. A bit of a shame as Joe was the only Mancunian of the 3. He was much older than Matt and befriended Matt when he was at City.

I suppose how this relates to Busby is that his first and most significant act was to structure the club with those initial appointments, characters who would genuinely shape the club at all levels. I should include in this Tom Curry the coach who died at Munich. Without the training from Jimmy, there would have been no Babes & without my Grandad either finding players (e.g. Bobby Charlton, Roger Byrne etc... ) and/or persuading them to sign, there wouldn't have been the players to train!

Cockney Phil

Fair point. Not seen it, but I bet there was zero mention of Joe Armstrong. The best contact for that info would have been his son (my Dad), now it's me. Needless to say, the phone didn't ring. Grandad was left out of the BBC Munich programme too, I believe the late Sandy Busby stated that to the press at the time that Joe should have been in. Jimmy, Joe and Les Olive kept the club running after Munich. That's the truth of it.

I have been interviewed by the more clued up authors (e.g. Wayne Barton) and contributed to MUTV programmes, but sadly more often no-one even asks about the 3rd member of the "3 muskateers" as Jimmy Murphy referred to them. A bit of a shame as Joe was the only Mancunian of the 3. He was much older than Matt and befriended Matt when he was at City.

I suppose how this relates to Busby is that his first and most significant act was to structure the club with those initial appointments, characters who would genuinely shape the club at all levels. I should include in this Tom Curry the coach who died at Munich. Without the training from Jimmy, there would have been no Babes & without my Grandad either finding players (e.g. Bobby Charlton, Roger Byrne etc... ) and/or persuading them to sign, there wouldn't have been the players to train!
Not going to comment - yet - but I would like to read your opinions after seeing the film. I have reservations about the film but don’t want to be a spoiler until it properly opens up for discussion.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is a very compelling watch especially as I am approaching my 70th birthday, so many memories from the 50's and 60's. Every employee of Manchester United shouldbe made to watch this and understand where the club came from especially the owners and Woodward. Recommended for alll supporters.
I have watched Busby today and was about to say pretty much the same as you.

Incredibly moving looking back on the Munich crash in 1958 and it is difficult to believe that they played in the FA Cup Final that same year.

It graphically demonstrates how much the game of football has changed, especially the pitches.
But the real star of the film is Sir Matt Busby.
He was Manchester United and in many ways still is.

It should be a condition of employment that everyone associated with the club watches this film.

G-manc

Does Louis Rocca get a mention? my wife is related to him

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I really enjoyed that. It could have been 2 hours longer though. Wanted more in-depth, more focus on Busby as a character and the general team of people around him that helped building the club.