By this time next week we could be out of all cup competitions

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Which would represent yet another trophyless season.

How would this reflect on Ole? Would you be happy with Top 4 and no trophies?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It would be very disappointing but I would take 2nd this season as long as we are planning to invest properly in the summer and give him a chance to complete his project.

Next season, no less than a proper title challenge and a cup will be enough.

If we don’t have any intention of backing him in the transfer market this summer then we should be looking to bring in a manager who can raise a team greater than the sun of its parts.

Lynty

There's also a good chance we'll still be in the competitions with a real chance to win a couple of trophies. Would that stop you finding every reason to make negative threads on Ole?

Water Melon

Thursday will show us a lot. We did not qualify from our CL group this season having had fantastic chance to do so. We crumbled when it mattered the most. If we fail in EL as well, it will show that we really are far from doing something significant in Europe. The league is gone already, while winning the FA cup, in my opinion, is more difficult than winning the Europa League. Hope we win it this season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The fact that we could be out of all comps if we lose is more proof we need to go all out and get Poch.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I dont think we're good enough to win any competitions this year which isn't a reflection of Ole in my view, we're just not quite there yet. 2nd is progress enough this year IMO, providing its followed up with the right investment in the summer.

Neville's comments after the game last night about the progress made during Ole's tenure and foundations being built etc i thought were interesting and its difficult to disagree.

Dan_F

I do think you need a bit of luck in the cups sometimes, and the draws have been pretty brutal for us. Considering some of the teams we could have been facing in the Europa and FA cup this week, it’s definitely been made difficult to rotate.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

If we get dumped out of the cups and struggle to hang on to top4 then I think we should be looking at other options in the Summer.

Meller

It would be very disappointing but I would take 2nd this season as long as we are planning to invest properly in the summer and give him a chance to complete his project.

Next season, no less than a proper title challenge and a cup will be enough.

If we don’t have any intention of backing him in the transfer market this summer then we should be looking to bring in a manager who can raise a team greater than the sun of its parts.
I'd agree with this.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The fact that we could be out of all comps if we lose is more proof we need to go all out and get Poch.
We should sack our manager because we will be out of competitions if we lose matches? Wow. Tough gig, this managerial lark.

It doesn't bother me what we do in the cups. I don't think Ole is the right man long term but he's proven a more than capable caretaker until we do find the right man. The Champions League is the one that counts and we're out of that, so the league is now the only priority. What we do in the other cups is a bonus but has no bearing on our season.

laughtersassassin

It would be really bad. I'm of the opinion Ole needs to show progression in cups too because as it stands we have progressed in the league but regressed in the cups.

This trophyless run needs to end.

Anyway let's wait and see what happens

Bwuk

I don’t think Ole is the man for the job but let’s break it down a bit further.

League Cup - nice to win but wouldn’t of been one of his objectives
FA Cup - see above
Champions League - not getting out the group, especially after how it started was a disaster.
Europa - if we’d been struggling for top 4 it would of been a must win, otherwise I’d move it more to a nice to win.
Premier League - we were never going to win it. If we finish 2nd that’s been progress at least.

rollingstoned1

If we get to 80 points this season it will represent good progress, winning the odd cup isn't that high a watermark for where we want to be imo if our league season gets derailed. Having said that it is entirely possible we will still be in both competitions come the next 2 weeks.

El Presidente

I dont think we're good enough to win any competitions this year which isn't a reflection of Ole in my view, we're just not quite there yet. 2nd is progress enough this year IMO, providing its followed up with the right investment in the summer.

Neville's comments after the game last night about the progress made during Ole's tenure and foundations being built etc i thought were interesting and its difficult to disagree.
We are definitely the best team in the EL, so from that perspective we are good enough to win a cup.
I’d expect us to go through in one of those tournaments and it all depends on who will be back in time I reckon. This starting XI is running on gas fumes currently.

Bojan11

This time next week, I might be able to upgrade Crash on my PS5. What's your point? Glazers don't care about winning trophies. All they are happy with is top-four finishes. Out the two, I rather go for the FA cup because I don't want City getting close to a treble or quadruple, and we are the only team capable of beating them. I don't trust any of the teams in Europe aside from Bayern to beat them.

OleBoiii

If we can keep up the good work in the PL then I'll consider the cups a nice bonus and nothing else.

Regardless of whether we win all the cups or none of them: we need to invest big in the summer to plug the remaining gaps. Since August 2019 we have signed one starter(Bruno), despite needing 3-4 new starters at that stage. No more fecking around from the club, please. If we sign anything less than 2 clear starters, then it's clear that the club can't be arsed. We're a top 4 team and that's that. Winning anything that matters will always be a nice bonus, followed by a quick and ugly drop.

laughtersassassin

We have the best team in the Europa League mate. We have a good enough team to be winning a trophy every second year atleast.

Look at Arsenal. They are shite and still win an FA cup every 2nd or 3rd year.

We are in a barren run trophy wise and we really need to win one before it becomes another Mikey on our backs

Brightonian

What a weird thread. This is true in the second half of any season unless you're already out of all the cups.

Couldn't you have waited until we actually went out of the cup competitions before trying to get the manager fired?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

We really don’t have an excuse in either competition really. City are the only team who can claim to be better than us in England this season and we just managed to beat them too. We should be heavy favourites in the Europa consisting some of our quality. This away leg against Milan will be tough but if we play to our best I still reckon we should win. If we progress then that’s one of the other competition favs eliminated.

laughtersassassin

This time next week, I might be able to upgrade Crash on my PS5. What's your point? Glazers don't care about winning trophies. All they are happy with is top-four finishes. Out the two, I rather go for the FA cup because I don't want City getting close to a treble or quadruple, and we are the only team capable of beating them. I don't trust any of the teams in Europe aside from Bayern to beat them.
Europa gets us Pot 1 of CL. People forget that.

It would mean we would avoid a group of death like this season. Wouldn't that be great boost for next year?

Also this season we have a great chance to win a cup because we have the benefit of being in the Europa League.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Whilst I remember being over the moon at the time with our Europa League and League Cup wins in 2017 in reflection neither mean an awful lot to me now. Ironically if you had to pick a trophy to represent where we are as a club it would be one of the domestic cups or the Uefa's B competition so essentially am I fussed about potentially being out of both competitions this time next week? No not at all

I actually don't think we'll win either competition anyway, City and then Chelsea are the favourites for the FA Cup in my eyes and then I've got a horrible feeling about Spurs and Arsenal in the Europa

Id rather we win as many of the remaining 9 league games as we can and finish with as many points and as close to City as we can

Northstand

Sorry, but that's a bit silly to be honest, as cup competitions have frequently been won by sides hugely inferior to United. Only City are currently better than us in England, and we've beaten them in the last week or so, hence we are good enough to win the FA Cup. We're also the highest rated side in the EL, which suggests we very much have a chance in that one. Would you say that Arsenal or Spurs might be good enough to win the EL?

Bojan11

Europa gets us Pot 1 of CL. People forget that.

It would mean we would avoid a group of death like this season. Wouldn't that be great boost for next year?

Also this season we have a great chance to win a cup because we have the benefit of being in the Europa League.
We should have qualified from that group regardless. Leipzig couldn't beat a shit Liverpool team and Istanbul were garbage. We play better against teams that want to attack us, so I rather play the big boys.

I am not bothered about what pot we in. I don't want City getting a treble or quadruple, so stopping them from winning the FA Cup would be fantastic.

Viral United

After Transfer market ends, I thought we will struggle to get in top 4,
So I would be satisfy with top 4 finish.
But we really need to back him in transfer market, or sack him and find another manager.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Back to back CL qualification is a step (albeit small) in the right direction. Of course winning the EL and/or Fa cup would be nice, but in these times i'd say say football and the money that follows is much, much more important.

If we end up second this year, i'd say it been an acceptable season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sorry, but that's a bit silly to be honest, as cup competitions have frequently been won by sides hugely inferior to United. Only City are currently better than us in England, and we've beaten them in the last week or so, hence we are good enough to win the FA Cup. We're also the highest rated side in the EL, which suggests we very much have a chance in that one. Would you say that Arsenal or Spurs might be good enough to win the EL?
Exactly that's precisely why people shouldn't look at league tables and think just because we're significantly higher in the table than the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal that means we're favourites for the cup

Cliched though it may be league form goes out of the window when it comes to cup ties, Chelsea might not get away with their drab boring football week in week out in the league but in a one off cup tie they may. Same with Spurs and Arsenal over a two legged tie in the Europa and with Spurs especially they have the manager and the firepower perfectly set up for one off games

dal

Finishing second is all that matters.

We’ve won the europa league and Fa cup not long ago anyway, although I would rather win the europa, I feel the Fa cup just doesn’t have the clamour of old.

I want progress in the league, if we finish second this season it may propel something special next season, fingers crossed.

youmeletsfly

I'm one of Ole's biggest enemies around here, but he needs to be judged once the team is complete.

As long as we play droos like MCT, Fred, Martial, James of course he won't be succesful.

But I do agree with the other posters. If our owners are not looking to back him this summer he should be released as his style and overall game plan is pretty dull.