Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truedevil

Tonight's loss makes things a bit tighter. Southampton loss was good but we still have some tricky fixtures left. I think we'll make Top 4 but it's not a certainty like maybe some would've thought.
If anything it makes things tighter in terms of getting second or fourth. With a win City will be right back. We absolutely have to beat Everton, tough it seems like they're gaining form so it'll be definitely tight at the Goodison. Hopefully they injured guys are back.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'd be pretty confident of beating Arsenal at OT if we play like we did today, against Liverpool and Man City.
I'd be pretty confident of beating any team at OT if we play like today and didn't have injuries to contend with. It all bodes very well for the future. The game went the way we all sort of knew it would, only we dominated more than I was expecting. It's really coming together under Van Gaal, and it took a single chance from the league's best player to deny us a well deserved point. Impossible to criticise the manager after today (maybe the subs), but some will probably try.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
We could afford to lose today's game and still get top 4. Once we win our home games, we can draw at Everton and Palace and still make it I think but it'll be tight :nervous:

coolredwine

lameredboots
We could afford to lose today's game and still get top 4. Once we win our home games, we can draw at Everton and Palace and still make it I think but it'll be tight :nervous:
Would expect us to beat Everton though, if we have 2 of the injured 4 players back.

And Arsenal. :p

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah we'd want to be winning those away games. Don't see why we want if we play the way we know we can.

Riz

Liverpool are the only team with a "realistic" chance of ousting us out of the top 4. They've got Chelsea away along with some other difficult fixtures.

Let's assume they win all their remaing games but draw at the Bridge (unlikely in my opinion). They'd end up on 73 points. We'd need 8 more points between now and the end of the season to match that total (and therefore qualify due to our superior goal difference). 2 wins and 2 draws. Hull and West Brom, Everton and Arsenal respectively.

Quietly confident.

C'est Moi Cantona

Liverpool are the only team with a "realistic" chance of ousting us out of the top 4. They've got Chelsea away along with some other difficult fixtures.

Let's assume they win all their remaing games but draw at the Bridge (unlikely in my opinion). They'd end up on 73 points. We'd need 8 more points between now and the end of the season to match that total (and therefore qualify due to our superior goal difference). 2 wins and 2 draws. Hull and West Brom, Everton and Arsenal respectively.

Quietly confident.

But they'll likely play them when they are already champions though, much as Chelsea will still put out a strong team their levels will drop so for me they could win that one, the same with WBA, and Stoke they have nothing to play for, Hull, QPR, and Palace are there for the taking, I just have a horrible feeling they could string 6 wins together which would mean we need 10 points still, and you can only say we have two gimmes (WBA, and Hull)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
But they'll likely play them when they are already champions though, much as Chelsea will still put out a strong team their levels will drop so for me they could win that one, the same with WBA, and Stoke they have nothing to play for, Hull, QPR, and Palace are there for the taking, I just have a horrible feeling they could string 6 wins together which would mean we need 10 points still, and you can only say we have two gimmes (WBA, and Hull)
Sky were showing a stat about Mourinho today...in 29 games against the top 4 he has lost 1 (Barcelona). He hates Liverpool and the Chelsea fans hate them too so they won't take the game lightly

Jaapster

oh ye of little faith! we will piss fourth place at worst, i dont expect us to lose any more games this season in fact i fully expect us to win every game

C'est Moi Cantona

Sky were showing a stat about Mourinho today...in 29 games against the top 4 he has lost 1 (Barcelona). He hates Liverpool and the Chelsea fans hate them too so they won't take the game lightly
That's the hope I hold out for this one, especially as he loves LvG so much too.

Raw

Maximum points Liverpool can get is 75. We need 10 points in 5 games, so three wins and a draw will guarantee us top 4 (assuming Liverpool win all their games). Liverpool still have Chelsea away, Stoke away and Palace at home which are all potential banana slips.

But screw 4th, I want 3rd.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm very negative so I'm still quite nervous yet. I don't think Liverpool will win all their games but even assuming they win all and draw at the Bridge, getting 8 points should be easy enough. I do wish the WBA game at Old Trafford was next week though. Anyway I think we'll draw next week and vs Palace since our away form is a bit rubbish so we'll have to beat WBA at home and Hull/Arsenal. Liverpool dropping any points at WBA before our game next week would be a relief.

ThanksBoss26

I'm very negative so I'm still quite nervous yet. I don't think Liverpool will win all their games but even assuming they win all and draw at the Bridge, getting 8 points should be easy enough. I do wish the WBA game at Old Trafford was next week though. Anyway I think we'll draw next week and vs Palace since our away form is a bit rubbish so we'll have to beat WBA at home and Hull/Arsenal. Liverpool dropping any points at WBA before our game next week would be a relief.
I know what you mean, I'm quite nervous too as it's so vital but we should do it.

wr8_utd

I know what you mean, I'm quite nervous too as it's so vital but we should do it.
All the good form and confidence of recent weeks would be for nothing and set us back many steps if we were to somehow not finish Top 4 and that's why I'm nervous. Finish in the top 4 and coupled with this run of form and performances puts us in great shape for next season.

Ixion

Given how we played at Anfield and today at the Champions despite the injuries I'd be surprised if we didn't get something away at Everton and Palace despite our bad away record, especially since they've nothing left to play for.

C'est Moi Cantona

All the good form and confidence of recent weeks would be for nothing and set us back many steps if we were to somehow not finish Top 4 and that's why I'm nervous. Finish in the top 4 and coupled with this run of form and performances puts us in great shape for next season.
I'm ridiculously nervous about it, we lose, or draw with Everton, & Pool win all theirs and they are level, or ahead before we play WBA.

Logic creeps back in at times though and tells me even we can't feck this up from this position.

Silverman

Liverpool have two difficult away games coming up. Soton lost today and we are a good bit ahead of Spurs too. They will drop points between now and the end of the season which will give us a bigger cushion.

wr8_utd

Given how we played at Anfield and today at the Champions despite the injuries I'd be surprised if we didn't get something away at Everton and Palace despite our bad away record, especially since they've nothing left to play for.
Teams which have nothing to play for can be quite dangerous. Palace just beat City and Stoke were unlucky to lose to Chelsea and just beat Southampton today. Everton away is never easy for us and they've just gotten back in form over the last month. Even Hull away probably won't be too easy!

I'm ridiculously nervous about it, we lose, or draw with Everton, & Pool win all theirs and they are level, or ahead before we play WBA.

Logic creeps back in at times though and tells me even we can't feck this up from this position.
I'm sure Pool will drop to Chelsea and even if they win all others, we should do it but I'm nervous because of our away form. If WBA take something off Pool then I'll be a lot more relaxed about Everton.

wr8_utd

Liverpool have two difficult away games coming up. Soton lost today and we are a good bit ahead of Spurs too. They will drop points between now and the end of the season which will give us a bigger cushion.
I'm not worried about Spurs and Southampton. Liverpool are the bigger concern

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should be able to beat West Brom at Old Trafford and Hull away quite comfortably. Everton and Palace away are tricky but we're much better than them. Arsenal at home I'm quietly confident about too. I reckon we will get at least 9 points and very likely around 11-13.

Litch

Yep nervous but I'd have taken this position 6 games ago.....

SirAF

Ageist
Aye, things could get a bit itchy if we don't beat Everton - but if we play like yesterday we'll destroy them.

Oh, I just saw that liverpool still have to play Chelsea. In that case, I'm not too worried. Can't see them clawing back 5 points on us.

Raw

Have to beat Everton, without doubt.
What's liverpools run in like?
West Brom (A), Hull (A), QPR (H), Chelsea (A), Palace (H) and Stoke (A)

Only games I see them really dropping points in is Chelsea and Stoke. And even so, Chelsea may have already won the league by the time they face Liverpool.

C'est Moi Cantona

Have to beat Everton, without doubt.
What's liverpools run in like?
It's similar to ours, they have 4 away, 2 home to play, they play Chelsea, Hull, West Brom, and Stoke away,
QPR, and Palace at home, quite comparable games to ours other than we have Arsenal at home, they obviously have a game in hand now also.

Logically looking at that they must drop 3-4 points minimum, which would mean we only need 2 wins, and an draw, but you just never know with them they may just string 6 wins together as the harder teams they play basically have nothing left to play for.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Only games I see them really dropping points in is Chelsea and Stoke. And even so, Chelsea may have already won the league by the time they face Liverpool.
Mourinho absolutely detest Liverpool, so no worries he'll do his thing

Todd

Top 4 still looks good for us but it's far from a sure thing. We could easily slip up in a few of our final games.

3 points at Everton would be a huge step in the right direction. If that happens I think we can reasonably expect that the Arsenal match will decide 2nd place.

Alex Styles

Well I hope that's true because imagine if he ever considered becoming their manager. It would be the ultimate challenge for him. Wouldn't want that to happen.

m1tch

Well their next 3 are against clubs down in the relegation scrap, hopefully they'll drop points there too.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Is this thread still running?

Oh well , last comment - can't see Liverpool (our only realistic threat) getting more than 10 or 11 points from their remaining games - if that is the case we need 1 win or 3 draws from ours - I'll be shocked if we don't get at least as many points as Liverpool in our remaining games

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

They'll be lucky to get 4 wins out of that I think. No way are they winning away to Chelsea and I highly doubt they'll win against Stoke. Doubt they'll beat West Brom either, as they'll be low on confidence. But let's say they get 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss from that, which is probably as much as any liverpool fan could even hope for from those fixtures (unlikely as I said). That's 13 points, up to 70. We just need 5 points from 5 games... Basically for anyone still having the slightest bit of doubt, it's done pretty much.

They have a slight chance of catching City, because they are far more likely to drop points IMO. City play Spurs away, Swansea away and then finish home to Southampton. They'll probably beat Southampton at home, but the other two are very hard games even if you're in great form, and they're far from it. The other two are Villa and QPR at home for City.

We'll most likely end 3rd, but if we have a perfect run from now until the end we'll finish 2nd. Can only see Arsenal dropping points against Chelsea and United, but if they win against Chelsea then they pretty much wrapped up 2nd, even if we beat them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

This is what I don't understand. We're a much better team than them yet we are apparently likely to drop points against Everton and Palace who have nothing to play for and could easily struggle against West Brom at home too. Liverpool however are guaranteed wins against three relegation threatened teams, some of them that they'd already dropped points to this or last season. How does that work?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Is this thread still running?

Oh well , last comment - can't see Liverpool (our only realistic threat) getting more than 10 or 11 points from their remaining games - if that is the case we need 1 win or 3 draws from ours - I'll be shocked if we don't get at least as many points as Liverpool in our remaining games
For now, yes it is. It is getting a bit tedious though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is what I don't understand. We're a much better team than them yet we are apparently likely to drop points against Everton and Palace who have nothing to play for and could easily struggle against West Brom at home too. Liverpool however are guaranteed wins against three relegation threatened teams, some of them that they'd already dropped points to this or last season. How does that work?
It's the ultra pessimistic view on things. People fear the worst so assume the rivals will pick up max points, even if they play against teams who they have a terrible record against like Stoke and Chelsea, and at the same time expect us to drop points against any half decent team despite us having the best record in the league against the big teams...

Raw

I admit that I am very very pessimistic, but after seeing Liverpool get knocked out by Villa I think I'll change my mind about some of those fixtures.

I'm more worried about us not at least getting 3rd to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.