Cadiz vs Manchester United | Match Thread

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Players like McTominay should have stepped up and score a hattrick

Black Alabaster

Mengi (people act like he's done but he's a 20 year old CB who was picked for England at every level) and probably one of Mainoo or Iqbal seem like they have the clearest routes into the team so sounds like it went okay. Would be nice if Jurado had looked a monster since we have that huge hole at backup RB, but good to hear 3 of the 4 players I think matter most did okay.

How did Garnacho look?
Direct but reckless, he was eager to take people on but lost the ball nearly every time.
Yeah Garnacho was a bit anonymous truthfully, ETH tried him out on the right wing and he could not really get going clearly has no automatisms there just kept dribbling into traffic.

Mengi as well did ok at Derby with Rooney he is far from finished. Like you said, England really liked him and his temperament too. He just needs to stay fit and establish himself out on loan now, but we also can't hang around sadly either.

The only problem is with some of our homegrown defenders or at any top club really is you have no chance getting serious senior minutes unless you are a physical specimen whilst we are trying to compete at the top, so you are best case scenario at the very least two years in loan spells one in the championship/abroad then in the prem or top league away from being counted on as a serious option. Tuanzebe was the last to manage that immeadiate step and even he who has always been built like a brick shethouse ready for mens footy hasn't managed to stay fit and put it all together and he is 25 now.

Especially when there are big strong athletic lads around 22/23 that have been playing senior football for 5 years or so in Germany/France that can be picked up and are already street smart known quantities, like Evan Ndicka.

Same for Jurado as well really, he put in a good shift physically battled, put himself about and got forward, actually assisted Mainoo's goal with a sharp pass. Just think he is going to have bad timing not being quite ready before we fill that spot with a more senior player in Frimpong. I fear the same for Alvaro Fernandez who I really like too but two senior players ahead of him now too.

Wing Attack Plan R

Mengi, Bernard, Fredricson all did ok at the back and looked fairly calm and composed, happy with those minutes for them. Jurado battled too and did well apart from switching off on that whipped cross.

Mainoo & Iqbal head and shoulders above the rest showing technical composure and decision making, should be in contention for a few minutes in real games for sure. Shoretire & Hansen-Aoren showed some good flashes too so just the usual suspects really.

Savage was a bit selfish with his shooting and then also lacking composure at the back giving away the 4th, him and the rest of the lads I think showed they are still some way off.

Hope we ship Elanga on loan to the championship if we are able to, the kid needs to be playing week in week out it to refine his game because he has something but has just been thrown in too early. He is looking like a bit of a pace merchant at the moment but he has more in his locker, needs to get 90 minutes consistently to kick on.
I’d amend the part about Savage giving away the goal because to me it looked like a terribly wild pass to him that he wasn’t able to control, rather than him having the ball and making a bad pass.

croadyman

Will be a character building experience for the young players,does show the gulf between U21's and even fringes of first team though.

Think if the first half team could have given them a lead it may have given the second half one a chance of getting a draw.

Last edited:

croadyman

Mainoo has got it. I think Jurado has a chance. The rest of the youngsters have clearly been overrated. Some of Shoretire’s passing leaves a bit to be desired.
Yeah that sums it up nicely,perhaps Jurado could do with a loan like Fernandez with Preston

RedCurry

I don’t see the point of playing so many youth level players in the mid-season friendly. Our senior squad could use some more minutes on the pitch.

lex talionis

Come on guys, this was a friendly, a match to restore sharpness for some and to give others a rare taste of what it’s like to play against experienced professionals.

jeepers

I think it is great that the kids got to play against a fully-fit La Liga side which probably played their full strength (?) side, as compared to them playing unfit sides only in pre-season.

We probably aren’t getting any new transfers in January (fingers crossed for a CF), so this also gives EtH a better look at potential backups coming from the reserve team. Would love to see Iqbal and possibly Mainoo get some first team minutes before season’s end.

Revaulx

Hang on…a bunch of 17 year-olds playing their first ever senior game…coming on at HT losing the match…playing against seasoned adults…and people look at 45 mins and say they aren’t good enough.

Obviously many won’t make it at United as history tells us that…but to right them off immediately shows how little some people know about football development.

90% of young players have incredibly average and modest debuts, they learn and grow then mature into potential first team players.

Patience is always key…and of course support than than criticism.
Well said!

Criticism of the starting XI is fair enough, though even there allowances need to be made for rustiness etc.

BarstoolProphet

What are these "some talent" he showed?
By being the best reserve team player, scoring on his debut for the first team and in general showing glimpses of workrate, dribbling and goal threat. By glimpses I don't mean that it right now looks like he has a future at United, not even as a backup (unless he turns into som hybrid fullback like Valencia) but it's still clear he has potential to do ok at a mid-to-lower level PL club in some capacity. Maybe a loan will do wonders for him.

Which you could barely say for many former academy players who have been promoted to the first team - with Blackett being the standout player in a negative way. His inclusion was utterly bizarre (kinda like Mourinho's protest by playing McT at CB away at West Ham), a player who had shown nothing to suggest he should be promoted.

NoPace

Yeah Garnacho was a bit anonymous truthfully, ETH tried him out on the right wing and he could not really get going clearly has no automatisms there just kept dribbling into traffic.

Mengi as well did ok at Derby with Rooney he is far from finished. Like you said, England really liked him and his temperament too. He just needs to stay fit and establish himself out on loan now, but we also can't hang around sadly either.

The only problem is with some of our homegrown defenders or at any top club really is you have no chance getting serious senior minutes unless you are a physical specimen whilst we are trying to compete at the top, so you are best case scenario at the very least two years in loan spells one in the championship/abroad then in the prem or top league away from being counted on as a serious option. Tuanzebe was the last to manage that immeadiate step and even he who has always been built like a brick shethouse ready for mens footy hasn't managed to stay fit and put it all together and he is 25 now.

Especially when there are big strong athletic lads around 22/23 that have been playing senior football for 5 years or so in Germany/France that can be picked up and are already street smart known quantities, like Evan Ndicka.

Same for Jurado as well really, he put in a good shift physically battled, put himself about and got forward, actually assisted Mainoo's goal with a sharp pass. Just think he is going to have bad timing not being quite ready before we fill that spot with a more senior player in Frimpong. I fear the same for Alvaro Fernandez who I really like too but two senior players ahead of him now too.
Seems like the obvious solution is to loan them to leagues where physicality isn't quite as important, like maybe the Segunda or ideally probably to Brazil, Japan or Korea though culture shock and distance seems to preclude that. But it would be an interesting way of getting them time where they're dealing with clever strikers who aren't necessarily units.

Oranges038

Hang on…a bunch of 17 year-olds playing their first ever senior game…coming on at HT losing the match…playing against seasoned adults…and people look at 45 mins and say they aren’t good enough.

Obviously many won’t make it at United as history tells us that…but to right them off immediately shows how little some people know about football development.

90% of young players have incredibly average and modest debuts, they learn and grow then mature into potential first team players.

Patience is always key…and of course support than than criticism.
Patience with young players is warranted. But they need the older players to talk and guide them through these games.

The first half performances by AWB, Donny, McT were a joke. Williams was poor and Liindelof not much better. Hard for young players to prosper and look good when they are surrounded by senior players who are utter garbage.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Patience with young players is warranted. But they need the older players to talk and guide them through these games.

The first half performances by AWB, Donny, McT were a joke. Williams was poor and Liindelof not much better. Hard for young players to prosper and look good when they are surrounded by senior players who are utter garbage.
For me, young players learn better when they vibe into a settle team and there isn’t as much pressure as seniors will cover for your errors. Think back to the team when the CO92 were breaking through. The amount of experience they had in a settled team.

now they play in a match like this, looking to AWB, Lindelof and McTominay for leadership and help? Good luck to them.

I don’t criticise the kids, they are young and learning. It’s clear to see that some expectations on them is too much, let them have that time to develop properly. In the meantime we have to upgrade on our choices instead of AWB, Lindelof etc

Red00012

Mainoo has got it. I think Jurado has a chance. The rest of the youngsters have clearly been overrated. Some of Shoretire’s passing leaves a bit to be desired.
Writing off 17 year olds playing a team in La Liga :lol:

footballbite

Writing off 17 year olds playing a team in La Liga :lol:
As a slight FYI - only Mainoo and Fredricson were 17 out of those who played yesterday.

They're also the two who I reckon have the most chance of making it out of those who featured (along with Garnacho and perhaps Iqbal).

Oranges038

For me, young players learn better when they vibe into a settle team and there isn’t as much pressure as seniors will cover for your errors. Think back to the team when the CO92 were breaking through. The amount of experience they had in a settled team.

now they play in a match like this, looking to AWB, Lindelof and McTominay for leadership and help? Good luck to them.

I don’t criticise the kids, they are young and learning. It’s clear to see that some expectations on them is too much, let them have that time to develop properly. In the meantime we have to upgrade on our choices instead of AWB, Lindelof etc
Yeah, imagine being on that right wing and looking for guidance off AWB? Or looking to McT or Donny for help in midfield?

These guys aren't good enough, it's doing a disservice to youth players to have them trying to learn beside these clowns.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, imagine being on that right wing and looking for guidance off AWB? Or looking to McT or Donny for help in midfield?

These guys aren't good enough, it's doing a disservice to youth players to have them trying to learn beside these clowns.
I didn't see the game, but it seems to me that our experienced players didn't really help or support our academy boys a lot, Martial has not really been mentioned so I assume he was at least a bit supportive.
I've watched these players for the first team, and apart from McTominay, they all seem too quiet on the pitch, not leaders at all, unlike Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes, we certainly miss those guys. McTominay always seemed quite vocal on the pitch, so I'm surprised if he didn't talk to, and encourage the youngsters.

Oranges038

I didn't see the game, but it seems to me that our experienced players didn't really help or support our academy boys a lot, Martial has not really been mentioned so I assume he was at least a bit supportive.
I've watched these players for the first team, and apart from McTominay, they all seem too quiet on the pitch, not leaders at all, unlike Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes, we certainly miss those guys. McTominay always seemed quite vocal on the pitch, so I'm surprised if he didn't talk to, and encourage the youngsters.
Watched the first half and AWB, McT, Lindelof & Donny were pretty rubbish,

I know it's a friendly, but those young players need to learn jn these games. Not much chance of learning of those guys when they play like that.

Mr PG

Kobbie Mainoo , Garnacho and Zidane will make it here I believe.

MalaysianRed7

It does say something about our subs though nothing new that we didn't know.
Maybe about the likes of Donny. However, in the 2nd half, it was literally a bunch of players who will not be ready for the first team for at least 2 more years. The best thing is that some of them, like Mainoo, actually impressed and had the courage to attack a La Liga defence and score.

roseguy64

This game will have as much impact on our season and the careers of all the players who played in it as a match between two Peruvian Sunday League teams with absolutely nothing to do with United. It does not matter one iota.
Pretty much. It was about match fitness for the starters and introduction to senior football for the subs.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Didn't see any of the game - did McNeil get some game time? what was he like?

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I didn’t see the full game but watching Mainoo’s “every touch” video is impressive. He seems to be able to slow down and speed up play at will. Already looks very much in control.