Caftard Becomes Commentator and gets his team promoted - Congratulations Required!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I was shocked when i started listening to that, not that I expected it to sound like the other guy but it just sounded like a normal football game I’d put on tv, nothing out of the ordinary, your voice just suits it.

I noticed the radio commentary but that’s just something to get used to.
I agree I think you’ve got a talent for it mate, stick with it and all the best.

Charlie Foley

I’m at half: you have a lovely voice and a natural gift for this. I see what you mean about radio commentary on tv: the last Dorking attack it sounded like you were painting a picture (very nice one) we didn’t need with tv. You’re really great though @Rolandofgilead cant believe how profession you sound.

Delighted to see McQuoid bury that penalty by the way! Along with all the Bournemouth loanees. He was an exciting prospect back in the day, I remember when Howe moved him up front at the start of the 2010 season and he was shredding teams on the break. Not sure if I’m more surprised at how old or young he is now! How has he been for you this season?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I should have posted this a couple of days ago, but with working dull time and preparing to do the final on Saturday it just slipped my mind.

A couple of notes; firstly, all of the negative feedback I have had (including from my own dad) has been about the guy with me. He won't be there on Saturday.

You will notice that I have a habit of slipping in to radio mode during this. Being my first TV commentary its only natural, but something to work on going forward.
ITV better be watching. Sound like a pro already mate.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I’m at half: you have a lovely voice and a natural gift for this. I see what you mean about radio commentary on tv: the last Dorking attack it sounded like you were painting a picture (very nice one) we didn’t need with tv. You’re really great though @Rolandofgilead cant believe how profession you sound.

Delighted to see McQuoid bury that penalty by the way! Along with all the Bournemouth loanees. He was an exciting prospect back in the day, I remember when Howe moved him up front at the start of the 2010 season and he was shredding teams on the break. Not sure if I’m more surprised at how old or young he is now! How has he been for you this season?
He was made captain and he's been pretty good. He tends to operate from the left more often than not.

Brennan Camp is the one to watch, on loan from Bournemouth, got 12 man of the match awards in his first 14 games. He's been capped by Scotland under 19s and probably wouldn't have looked out of place on loan in league 1 this season. He is going to be a star.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I was shocked when i started listening to that, not that I expected it to sound like the other guy but it just sounded like a normal football game I’d put on tv, nothing out of the ordinary, your voice just suits it.

I noticed the radio commentary but that’s just something to get used to.
I agree I think you’ve got a talent for it mate, stick with it and all the best.
Thank you mate.
ITV better be watching. Sound like a pro already mate.
:lol: That would be amazing. I am starting to put myself out there a bit now and I've put a demo together. I've been told the local BBC radio station have been watching me and I'm hoping that if we go up on Saturday they might offer me the job next season (they'll start covering us home and away once we are in the National League) radio commentary is my real passion, so fivelive or talksport would be perfect.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This sounded really experienced from your end. It’s hard to believe you are so new to it. I find it easy to get behind people willing to put the time and work into something they are passionate about.

The team will only be aided by having someone sounding this professional providing commentary. Really well done and I wish you all the best with this @Rolandofgilead

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
This sounded really experienced from your end. It’s hard to believe you are so new to it. I find it easy to get behind people willing to put the time and work into something they are passionate about.

The team will only be aided by having someone sounding this professional providing commentary. Really well done and I wish you all the best with this @Rolandofgilead
Thank you very much mate. The support I've had from everyone on here has been overwhelming.

NecssryEvil

Thank you very much mate. The support I've had from everyone on here has been overwhelming.
Very, very good job, I can’t believe you have only been do this for a year! You really have the voice for it. Maybe a silly question but I hate the sound of my voice when recorded and wonder if you have to change your tone at all when doing the shows.

hungrywing

There really is, plus i find it hard to put aside my love of the club when we score late winners like we did Saturday.

The hardest thing which nobody ever tells you going in, is picking out the numbers on the back of striped shirts! When all you have is a teamsheet and no monitor, like i did all season for radio, you have to rely on the numbers for the players names.
Love these little quirks about jobs.

Is the bolded part standard in all radio or does it just happen sometimes in the lower leagues if the club/broadcaster doesn't have the budget to set them up?

Also, I've always wondered whether in the course of your research and prep you guys put together a list of potential things to talk about during the match and sometimes don't get to run through the whole list.

Also also, how often do you get the 'Oh I so wish I'd called that just a bit differently/Would have been so much better if?' feeling?

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Very, very good job, I can’t believe you have only been do this for a year! You really have the voice for it. Maybe a silly question but I hate the sound of my voice when recorded and wonder if you have to change your tone at all when doing the shows.
Yeah i put a kind if showman spin on it I guess. Sometimes though you get a really drab 0-0 draw and its hard to keep the irritation out.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Love these little quirks about jobs.

Is the bolded part standard in all radio or does it just happen sometimes in the lower leagues if the club/broadcaster doesn't have the budget to set them up?

Also, I've always wondered whether in the course of your research and prep you guys put together a list of potential things to talk about during the match and sometimes don't get to run through the whole list.

Also also, how often do you get the 'Oh I so wish I'd called that just a bit differently/Would have been so much better if?' feeling?
For the last question, yeah almost every week. I'm my own biggest critic but I find thats how I develop and learn.

In terms of the equipment, at this level it literally tends to be press areas that are in the stands and so its a mixer, laptop and mic. You're hearing exactly what I see in real time.

The research tends to focus entirely on the clubs and players, but usually some good talking points and stats crop up. Although I must confess that I've done over 50 games this season and I only had a co commentator 3 times.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
@Rolandofgilead I've just discovered this thread and heard you for the first time. I'm calling this early. This is the birth of a professional commentator. I closed my eyes and could have been listening to the likes of a young John Motson. You have the right sounding voice and already have a good patter.
I'm seriously impressed and I hope you go very far. I think you will.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
@Rolandofgilead Yeah, echoing what everyone else is saying. You've got a real gift, very easy to listen to, smooth professional delivery. Is an announcer similar to a footballer or referee in terms of working your way up from the lower levels? Or does who you know, come into play at some point?

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Had no expectations when I opened that video and thought that most on here would (understandably) be a bit over the top, but your voice and commentating style is really outstanding for an "amateur". Apart from the very rare floundered word/sentence your delivery is excellent. Funny enough, your cooperation with the Dorking guy did sound like the "Pro commentator - ex-footballer" commentating teams on sky as he was way less smooth and more biased.

Only critique I have is like others said, one could tell that you`re normally commentating radio, for a video broadcast that was too much hectic describing of would everyone could see anyway. But apart from that, brilliant.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
@Rolandofgilead you have very good voice, you should be MUTV commentator, would make our goals very much watchable :D

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
@Rolandofgilead I've just discovered this thread and heard you for the first time. I'm calling this early. This is the birth of a professional commentator. I closed my eyes and could have been listening to the likes of a young John Motson. You have the right sounding voice and already have a good patter.
I'm seriously impressed and I hope you go very far. I think you will.
Thank you TDon. Hope youre well mate.
@Rolandofgilead Yeah, echoing what everyone else is saying. You've got a real gift, very easy to listen to, smooth professional delivery. Is an announcer similar to a footballer or referee in terms of working your way up from the lower levels? Or does who you know, come into play at some point?
Yeah very much so, its about putting yourself out there and being brave. Also as with most things, timing is everything.

The same person who challenged a certain RAWK member to a fist fight?
Good luck :)
Errrr yeah about that :lol:

youth can get the better of you.

Had no expectations when I opened that video and thought that most on here would (understandably) be a bit over the top, but your voice and commentating style is really outstanding for an "amateur". Apart from the very rare floundered word/sentence your delivery is excellent. Funny enough, your cooperation with the Dorking guy did sound like the "Pro commentator - ex-footballer" commentating teams on sky as he was way less smooth and more biased.

Only critique I have is like others said, one could tell that you`re normally commentating radio, for a video broadcast that was too much hectic describing of would everyone could see anyway. But apart from that, brilliant.
Thank you mate. I encourage people to be totally honest in my feedback so that I learn more, thanks again.

@Rolandofgilead you have very good voice, you should be MUTV commentator, would make our goals very much watchable :D
I met Paddy Crerand once and id live to work with him one day. To be though Stewart Gardner does a good job on mutv I think.

Water Melon

What a voice, what a commentary. You have a potential to reach the very top of this. Engish is neither my first language nor second or third, but I was still able to appreciate it. Keep it up, mate. Here's hoping to hearing you commenting United's next CL final winning game.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That is the first time i've ever heard of Dorking and by the end of the video, I was delighted that they'd lost.

He came across so unprofessional and the difference between you couldn't be any more obvious. Great job @Rolandofgilead

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Well its play off final day. If any of you are interested in buying the stream I'll post a link here.

https://events.sportradar.com/en-int/page/vanarama-national-league-play-offs
Having listened to the last one, I'm confident you'll do great again. You know what it's like, ordinarily when someone asks for feedback with a novel/ song/ comedy routine etc you spend half your time wondering how to nicely word, 'you're not gonna make it'.

This wasn't the case with your commentary - you've got a definite gift for it. You sounded extremely professional and your voice worked really well. I was pleasantly surprised by just how good it was.

Good luck!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jesus that Dartford keeper has got a throw on him, almost to the half way line!

Last edited:

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Never a penalty! Referee, that's a disgrace! Sexy voice, Roly.