Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Deery

Dreary
This game is so much harder than normal CoD, I literally can't get better at it. Sick to death of spending most of my time in the gulag, or death screen. Any fight I get in is just me being mowed down by a Roze skin with a gold FFAR.
Same

vidic blood & sand

Downloaded cold war last week, and I'm struggling to get into it. A lot of maps are really big, and it's only 6 v 6 :(
You can spend ages tearing around trying to find people, and then get zapped by a camper crouched behind a door somewhere.
Not liking this game much at all, and there's hardly anyone playing modern warfare nowdays.
Hope Infinity Ward are developing the next installment.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Downloaded cold war last week, and I'm struggling to get into it. A lot of maps are really big, and it's only 6 v 6 :(
You can spend ages tearing around trying to find people, and then get zapped by a camper crouched behind a door somewhere.
Not liking this game much at all, and there's hardly anyone playing modern warfare nowdays.
Hope Infinity Ward are developing the next installment.
Isn’t the next one from another different dev? The world at war guys. I’m up for that but it’s going to be horrible making it work with Warzone and also way less interesting customising your weapons and stuff

passing-wind

This game is so much harder than normal CoD, I literally can't get better at it. Sick to death of spending most of my time in the gulag, or death screen. Any fight I get in is just me being mowed down by a Roze skin with a gold FFAR.
I found that watching high profile YouTubers has helped not for entertainment but to study the movement, selectively knowing when to engage / bail out, positioning, rotation, timing etc. There's certainly a science to it.

I think playing MW naturally goes against primal instincts of realism. I feel that's where many fall short, to not play by the feel of the game seeming realistic. It's the sense of reality that caused myself to overthink so often. That's why so many camp and lack confidence that's natural to do in a war setting. But to instead realise it's nothing but mechanics and to learn that system.

Also If your using a controller also grab the KontrolFreeks inputs via Amazon. This alone is enough of a game changer with the ridiculously heightened aiming accuracy. It's a small modification but makes a night and day difference with the playing experience.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I found that watching high profile YouTubers has helped not for entertainment but to study the movement, selectively knowing when to engage / bail out, positioning, rotation, timing etc. There's certainly a science to it.

I think playing MW naturally goes against primal instincts of realism. I feel that's where many fall short, to not play by the feel of the game seeming realistic. It's the sense of reality that caused myself to overthink so often. That's why so many camp and lack confidence that's natural to do in a war setting. But to instead realise it's nothing but mechanics and to learn that system.

Also If your using a controller also grab the KontrolFreeks inputs via Amazon. This alone is enough of a game changer with the ridiculously heightened aiming accuracy. It's a small modification but makes a night and day difference with the playing experience.
I couldn’t get along with kontrolfreeks at all. Spent a few days using one on the right analogue stick and it just never felt better to me. A lot of people swear by em though.

Paddles however, make a big difference. Being able to slide, crouch and jump while still aiming is massive.

passing-wind

I couldn’t get along with kontrolfreeks at all. Spent a few days using one on the right analogue stick and it just never felt better to me. A lot of people swear by em though.

Paddles however, make a big difference. Being able to slide, crouch and jump while still aiming is massive.
I guess it does vary from person to person. I found the KF absolutely crazy 90% better aim for me changed my sensitivity to accommodate.

I know the paddles are a big plus online from reviews, also seen most pros using those inputs / scuffs. Not really needed them personally as im playing bumper tactical flipped with claw grip. Uncomfortable at first but certainly worthwhile for everything you've mentioned. But one limitation is cramped fingers after a while I'll probably have to change eventually.

Last edited:

Conor

I am giving those joysticks a go at the moment(1 day into using one on my right analog stick), but I'm finding the height of it tough to adjust to. To your other points, I was definitely a run and gun player in earlier CoDs, so it is a problem with my play style. I also get violently twitchy in 1v1s, I think I win a lot of gunfights on normal CoD because I react first, whereas you need proper aiming skill in warzone, as the TTK is far higher than any other CoD. You can't just bank on reacting first with decent aim and a good gun, you need to be able to adjust during the fight to hit a moving target etc. I find I get the first shot off in a lot of cases, but end up dead :lol:

passing-wind

I am giving those joysticks a go at the moment(1 day into using one on my right analog stick), but I'm finding the height of it tough to adjust to. To your other points, I was definitely a run and gun player in earlier CoDs, so it is a problem with my play style. I also get violently twitchy in 1v1s, I think I win a lot of gunfights on normal CoD because I react first, whereas you need proper aiming skill in warzone, as the TTK is far higher than any other CoD. You can't just bank on reacting first with decent aim and a good gun, you need to be able to adjust during the fight to hit a moving target etc. I find I get the first shot off in a lot of cases, but end up dead :lol:
Very true it takes a while to get use to the movements. I think the older COD's had a more linear play style but now there's more with drop shoting, bunny hoping, slide cancel and map diversity etc it's far more to take into consideration.

The KF's take a while to get use to, I was readjusting the sensitivity / deadzone for around a week before being real comfortable. I've found personally the higher you go up in sensitivity, the more the aim will improve because eventually the regular sensitivity feels far to slow. Think they recommend this strategy on the packaging too.

Conor

Very true it takes a while to get use to the movements. I think the older COD's had a more linear play style but now there's more with drop shoting, bunny hoping, slide cancel and map diversity etc it's far more to take into consideration.

The KF's take a while to get use to, I was readjusting the sensitivity / deadzone for around a week before being real comfortable. I've found personally the higher you go up in sensitivity, the more the aim will improve because eventually the regular sensitivity feels far to slow. Think they recommend this strategy on the packaging too.
Yeah it seems like everyone is all over the place, with pro controllers, and everyone abuses headsets as much as possible. I am used to just legging it around the map, not even listening out for players on my TV haha. I did notice I had to up my deadzone for some reason with the new stick, I was getting random drift(I think I still am at times also, so maybe need to mess with it more), maybe because of the extra weight on the stick now? I'm on 5/5 sens at the moment while I get used to it anyway.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Same. Randomly picked it up through lockdown boredom a few months ago. Stubbornly trying to improve after getting wasted in Solos etc initially and digging myself into a K/D hole before taking it more seriously.

Been using a PS4 I had collecting dust and tempted to upgrade as this is clearly the issue, rather than skill level.

Conor

Same. Randomly picked it up through lockdown boredom a few months ago. Stubbornly trying to improve after getting wasted in Solos etc initially and digging myself into a K/D hole before taking it more seriously.

Been using a PS4 I had collecting dust and tempted to upgrade as this is clearly the issue, rather than skill level.
My K/D is horrendous, I've realised that the main problem for me is I'm playing with mates that have pretty good K/D, so I'm just getting hammered by better players constantly. Supposedly the matchmaking system will always put you in games suitable for the highest K/D player in your party, rather than put high K/D players into weaker lobbies. I played a few games with other shit mates the other day, and it was so much easier.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My K/D is horrendous, I've realised that the main problem for me is I'm playing with mates that have pretty good K/D, so I'm just getting hammered by better players constantly. Supposedly the matchmaking system will always put you in games suitable for the highest K/D player in your party, rather than put high K/D players into weaker lobbies. I played a few games with other shit mates the other day, and it was so much easier.
I don't think so, pretty sure it's an average. I have the highest k/d out of our team and I know when sbmm was around we were mostly getting games lower than my k/d anyway. But still, if the guys you're playing with do have higher k/d's than you, you'll definitely be stuck in games higher than your skill level.

Conor

I don't think so, pretty sure it's an average. I have the highest k/d out of our team and I know when sbmm was around we were mostly getting games lower than my k/d anyway. But still, if the guys you're playing with do have higher k/d's than you, you'll definitely be stuck in games higher than your skill level.
I dunno, I've seen multiple videos claiming that that is how sbmm was working anyway. Some of the lads I play with have x2 my K/D, and it's hugely noticeable when playing with them/without them.

Massive Spanner

I dunno, I've seen multiple videos claiming that that is how sbmm was working anyway. Some of the lads I play with have x2 my K/D, and it's hugely noticeable when playing with them/without them.
Yeah because it takes the average of your team and if those lads have x2 on you then you'll be put into higher lobbies. It definitely doesn't take the k/d of only the highest person.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
SBMM in any game is always weighted towards the highest ranked player. Only way it’s kept as fair as possible.

Bosws87

Any decent ranking system takes the average of the squads elo to match them with others in a similar range.

Just taking the top player would make the game incredibly punishing playing with any of your mates who are not as good.

This however is COD so they could be doing it the stupid way.

Conor

Yeah because it takes the average of your team and if those lads have x2 on you then you'll be put into higher lobbies. It definitely doesn't take the k/d of only the highest person.
I'm not sure about this, surely then you could easily kill farm by having 2 terrible players in your lobby? As mentioned above, from everything I have read, it will always try and keep it harder for the best players in the party, rather than make it easier for the worst. I'm not saying it explicitly takes the highest K/D and only matches you with those people, but I think it favours higher K/D over lower, within the ranges of whoever is available in matchmaking.

Any decent ranking system takes the average of the squads elo to match them with others in a similar range.

Just taking the top player would make the game incredibly punishing playing with any of your mates who are not as good.

This however is COD so they could be doing it the stupid way.
From the things I've seen about it, they are doing it the stupid way. Obviously there are going to be ranges regardless, due to the lobby size for warzone.

Massive Spanner

I'm not sure about this, surely then you could easily kill farm by having 2 terrible players in your lobby? As mentioned above, from everything I have read, it will always try and keep it harder for the best players in the party, rather than make it easier for the worst. I'm not saying it explicitly takes the highest K/D and only matches you with those people, but I think it favours higher K/D over lower, within the ranges of whoever is available in matchmaking.
That's not what I'm saying though. If you take the average of your team it will plonk it somewhere in the middle of the best k/d and the worst k/d making it easier for the best player and harder for the worst player. It fits in with what you're saying which is that it's harder for you if you're in a team of players with high k/d's.

Loads of streamers put themselves in with players with way worse k/ds with them in order to get more kills and such.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If you looked at sbmmwarzone before it got shut down, you'll have seen that it mostly seems to use average kd, however it doesn't put everyone in around the same level. There's a huge gap from the bottom team to the top. If you get stuck as one of the bottom teams you're gonna have a bad time probably, although there would quite often be some in the top 5 as they'd play a more cautious game. You would think this changes around so the next game you'd be one of the best, but it didn't look like that in reality.

Having played with santos (4.5kd) and the other fellas from the caf (most around 1.5 - baring in mind the average on cod is apparently 0.8 although I suspect that's higher now), it occassionally put us in bronze 3 lobbies, where we were the best or close to. It would also sometimes put us in diamond lobbies. Some nights would be mostly the easier lobbies and some nights all rock hard ones. Lately it's felt very hard in most games.

So they use average kd but how they actually use it is anybody's call. The whole point of sbmm is supposedly to keep as many people playing as possible because it's meant to be fun with just the right amount of challenge, and yet it seems to have the opposite effect of pushing people away. I know I've played it a lot less this last week.

ps. that nuke event was garbage. All that build up for a shitty 10 second cutscene.

Conor

That's not what I'm saying though. If you take the average of your team it will plonk it somewhere in the middle of the best k/d and the worst k/d making it easier for the best player and harder for the worst player. It fits in with what you're saying which is that it's harder for you if you're in a team of players with high k/d's.

Loads of streamers put themselves in with players with way worse k/ds with them in order to get more kills and such.
Yeah I get your point, I just have read that it's not doing only that. I'm sure it tries to balance the party's rating to some extent, but it is not going to limit the potential matches to that average, so you would still get a lot of large skill mismatches within a lobby.

Massive Spanner

Yeah I get your point, I just have read that it's not doing only that. I'm sure it tries to balance the party's rating to some extent, but it is not going to limit the potential matches to that average, so you would still get a lot of large skill mismatches within a lobby.
Yeah as Veeva said sometimes it can really skew things so if you get a few unlucky games where the k/d is way above your teams average it can probably feel like you are getting in with ridiculously good players against your skill level. I've been in bronze lobbies before with teams with a 2+ average k/d and they'd just wipe the floor with everyone. It's definitely a bid unpredictable. Some nights I seem to be slaughtering lads and other nights I get absolutely whipped before I can even aim!

There are other metrics too like if a team hasn't won a game in a long time then it will definitely put them in lower ranked lobbies so they do. I'm positive of that. They know for retention that even the shitter players have to win from time to time.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Will interest people for a few days and then they won’t be interested. They’re gonna lose a lot of the playerbase in the coming months I reckon.

Incredible from a company with that much money.

Bosws87

Will interest people for a few days and then they won’t be interested. They’re gonna lose a lot of the playerbase in the coming months I reckon.

Incredible from a company with that much money.
Be a similar vibe to Counter Strike they left it stagnant for years until some competition arrived recently in Valorant.

When Battlefield is revealed (i'm expecting big things) expect warzone updates to jump into overdrive

bucky

We just had this guy in our game and he had 21 kills. Looked through his history, how the feck does he keep getting into such low k/d games? it's crazy

WZ Stats – Track your Warzone stats & matches
Location perhaps. If it takes too long for the match making to find a lobby, then the game will just put you in one and so to speak sidestep the SBMM. For example the same thing happens for people from Hawaii in NA.

Massive Spanner

Location perhaps. If it takes too long for the match making to find a lobby, then the game will just put you in one and so to speak sidestep the SBMM. For example the same thing happens for people from Hawaii in NA.
No chance. The guy is clearly manipulating the system somehow.

Santos J

No chance. The guy is clearly manipulating the system somehow.
Not necessarily, they're about the same as what lobbies I get with a similar K/D to him, looks like he gets a few more lobbies below 1.00 but not loads more. It's just the average K/D of the majority of players really, on the old SBMM site lobbies around 1.17 average K/D were considered diamond lobbies because the majority of players are just around a 1.0 or below so it takes a lot to bump the average.

Massive Spanner

Not necessarily, they're about the same as what lobbies I get with a similar K/D to him, looks like he gets a few more lobbies below 1.00 but not loads more. It's just the average K/D of the majority of players really, on the old SBMM site lobbies around 1.17 average K/D were considered diamond lobbies because the majority of players are just around a 1.0 or below so it takes a lot to bump the average.
Seems crazy to me. The guy is miles ahead of everyone he plays against, how that can't be filtered out in at least some fashion is beyond me.