Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

NinjaFletch

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but for the love of God PLEASE can we stamp out this scourge from this forum. It's like nails down a fecking chalkboard whenever anyone uses it.

Bojan11

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but for the love of God PLEASE can we stamp out this scourge from this forum. It's like nails down a fecking chalkboard whenever anyone uses it.
Atleast call out the people who have done it. This threads boring without that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Why does it bother you? The other big team from Sheffield can be called Wednesday and everyone knows what team is being discussed. We can't call Sheffield United United because that's us (among others). Calling Sheffield United Sheffield makes perfect sense.

Nickelodeon

People call Real Madrid as Madrid, Manchester City as City, AC Milan as Milan but Sheffield is where we draw the line?

Rafaeldagold

I don’t mind it as the other Sheffield aren’t in the Prem so unlikely we’d be taking about them

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Soon there'll be two Saudi backed teams in the league that'll be interesting, I have a friend growing up that was a Sheffield Wednesday fan so I've always resisted calling them Sheffield.

Santos J

I thought so, i wouldn't mind them coming back to the PL.
Wouldn't either considering I work across the road from Hillsborough but think there's more chance of them being in League One than the PL any time soon. :lol:

stevoc

What do you want people to refer to them as?

People also refer to Newcastle United and West Ham United as simply Newcastle and West Ham. So it makes sense to do the same with Sheffield.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If there's two teams from that city, there has to be a distinction. Leeds - fine. Newcastle - fine, Sheffield - no. Bristol - no.

On the contrary, I like it when foreign players call us 'Manchester', like there's only one. That's the exception.

Santos J

People also refer to Newcastle United and West Ham United as simply Newcastle and West Ham. So it makes sense to do the same with Sheffield.
Because there's not a Newcastle Wednesday or a West Ham Rovers

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We should all respect the OP and never talk about Sheffield ever again.

NinjaFletch

Why does it bother you? The other big team from Sheffield can be called Wednesday and everyone knows what team is being discussed. We can't call Sheffield United United because that's us (among others). Calling Sheffield United Sheffield makes perfect sense.
Because it's wrong and sounds fecking stupid.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Much easier to just call them the Chef's from now on.

Wouldn't either considering I work across the road from Hillsborough but think there's more chance of them being in League One than the PL any time soon. :lol:
It's a shame, it looked like they were getting close a few seasons back.

Santos J

It's a shame, it looked like they were getting close a few seasons back.
Aye they've not fallen too far ahead of middle ground either side recently but with FFP/points deduction possibly on the way then next season could be a struggle for them. Although with the City verdict the other day I'd imagine they'd be going to CAS if that did happen and fancy their chances.

iHicksy

I mean, they're only spoken about on this forum in the context of the premier league so until Wednesday (See) get to the prem it's not like it's an issue.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It would be the same as calling Forest 'Nottingham', calling Bristol City 'Bristol', calling Celtic or Rangers 'Glasgow'.

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but @NinjaFletch is right - It's like nails down a chalk board.

Basically, it's fine to do it if there is only one football team with the City's name in the title. (United and City are the exception)

Add to it that there is actually a Sheffield FC, who are the worlds oldest football club. So yeah, please stop. ASAP.