Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

stevoc

Because there's not a Newcastle Wednesday or a West Ham Rovers
There isn't but there are 4 teams from Newcastle in the footballing pyramid, United, Benfield, Town and University who all have Newcastle in their name. And yet i'm sure no one gets confused as to who someone on here is talking about if they simply say Newcastle in a discussion.

It's the same with Sheffield, from the context of the discussion it should be clear whether or not people are referring to Sheffield United (probably 99% of the time) or the lower league side Sheffield Wednesday who haven't been in the Premier League for over two decades.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Then call them Sheffield United like everyone in England has done for ever.

It's a bit like if people woke up one morning and started calling Bayern 'Bavaria'. You'd know what they meant, you could even argue that it makes sense because we translate München to Munich so why not the first half of their name, too, but it's just wrong. Sheffield United have been Sheffield United for ever, to hear people drop the United just sounds appalling. And it's five letters, people have spent longer replying to this thread telling us how much time they've saved than they ever would have spent typing out those letters.
It's 6 letters actually.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If there's two teams from that city, there has to be a distinction. Leeds - fine. Newcastle - fine, Sheffield - no. Bristol - no.

On the contrary, I like it when foreign players call us 'Manchester', like there's only one. That's the exception.
The distinction is no one is talking about Sheffield Wednesday

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not bothered. We know at this moment in time we're not talking about Wednesday, so it works for me.
And it's less confusing. We wouldn't want people to think that we are talking about the former chinese club named Sheffield United.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sheffield is at least spelled correctly by everyone. I think it's far more problematic that the English are basically making up their own names and spellings of foreign teams.

Bayern Munich?
Red Star Belgrade?
FC Copenhagen?

Typical English laziness and arrogance.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Sheffield is at least spelled correctly by everyone. I think it's far more problematic that the English are basically making up their own names and spellings of foreign teams.

Bayern Munich?
Red Star Belgrade?
FC Copenhagen?

Sporting Lisbon

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Who all are Sheffield playing in remaining games after Leicester? It will be good to have Sheffield playing in Europa next season. Remarkable story.

Chairman Steve

Those Sheffield boys are flying. With those colours, you’d think you were watching Atletico Bilbao.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
People call Real Madrid as Madrid, Manchester City as City, AC Milan as Milan but Sheffield is where we draw the line?
Actually calling Real Madrid just Madrid bothers me a bit. I’m guilty of that as well, something I’ve learned here, but it’s a bit wrong too.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bayern Munich?
Red Star Belgrade?
FC Copenhagen?

Translate the name of the city, leave the rest - well aside from "Red Star", probably because no one could ever spell it right? Sounds fairly reasonable to me?

Last edited:

shaky

Calling them Sheffield in a discussion about favourite away grounds would be unhelpful, because it's ambiguous. Calling them Sheffield in a discussion about the top 6 battle would be fine. It seems daft to be precious about how other people choose to abbreviate it, so long as you know they're clearly referring to Sheffield Utd.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm not calling then United because that's us. And I'm not calling then Sheffield United because that's too much effort for a team I don't care for

JPRouve

Scout

Bayern Munich?
Red Star Belgrade?
FC Copenhagen?

Are you upset about Norway instead of Norge or Noreg?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not calling then United because that's us. And I'm not calling then Sheffield United because that's too much effort for a team I don't care for
To be fair the few Sheffield United fans in this thread have been nice about it, so I will ignore @NinjaFletch attitude and call them The Blades or Sheffield United. Ninjafletch will be NF though.

Andersonson

I loved when Paolo Di Canio played for Sheffield. What a player!
And also Phil Jagielka was fantastic for Sheffield in the early 2000's

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I used to live in Sheffield years ago, and while I was there I started to refer to them as just United and thus Manchester United became Man United, mostly because the majority of my friends and colleagues were Sheffield United fans and that's what they called themselves..Once I moved away I slowly reverted back to calling Manchester United 'United'.

JPRouve

Scout
Agree with OP, it is weird.

Using just Sheff Utd is as easy as typing Sheffield pretty much.
A welsh trying to get rid of as much vowels as possible. Why am I not surprised?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Surely it just depends on the context if you’re talking about the premier league (which the majority of discussion is based around) it’s perfectly acceptable to just call them Sheffield. It’s not derogatory nor offence but simply efficient to convey who you are talking about.

Its a bit like having two friends with the same name say Liam? You start talking to your friends about a party you were at with Liam 1 that everyone knows Liam 2 wasn’t invited to. You could clarify Liam 1 by calling him Liam 1 but it’s not necessary and doesn’t make Liam 2 any less important.

Now if it’s a party both Liam 1 and 2 were at then you should distinguish.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You forgot your own club!

United.
I don't understand why this is a thread. No one says "Manchester United" in daily speak, it's either Man United or straight up simply United as you point out.

I'll say Sheffield since it saves me having to say Sheffield United when it's obvious what I'm talking about when I say Sheffield in the context of a football discussion.

Most team names are written or spoken in daily life as the first or second word, not the whole thing in it's entirety. I just spent 2 minutes writing a pointless post. Please score Norwich.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It would be the same as calling Forest 'Nottingham', calling Bristol City 'Bristol', calling Celtic or Rangers 'Glasgow'.

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but @NinjaFletch is right - It's like nails down a chalk board.

Basically, it's fine to do it if there is only one football team with the City's name in the title. (United and City are the exception)

Add to it that there is actually a Sheffield FC, who are the worlds oldest football club. So yeah, please stop. ASAP.
Sheffield