Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Most people call Wednesday just “Wednesday” so why does it bother you? Does it annoy you when people say Wolves instead of Wolverhampton Wanderers?

To me Sheff U are “Sheffield” & Sheff W are “Wednesday” & that’s it.

Wednesday aren’t in the PL, if they were I’d probably differentiate them based on United & Wednesday but since they are in separate leagues why bother?

RoyH1

I for one miss the days when European opponents referred to us as Manchester
They still do many places. Spanish speaking commentators call Manchester United "el Manchester". They never do that for Manchester CIty, that gets the whole name.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They still do many places. Spanish speaking commentators call Manchester United "el Manchester". They never do that for Manchester CIty, that gets the whole name.
I want a jersey with "El Manchester" on it

When I went to Mallorca, the newspaper had the PL table with us listed as “Manchester” & City listed as simply “City”
As it should be

Robertd0803

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but for the love of God PLEASE can we stamp out this scourge from this forum. It's like nails down a fecking chalkboard whenever anyone uses it.
Yeah Im with you on this one. Calling them just Sheffield when they have never generally been known as that sounds like referring to them by their Pro Evolution name.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It's not as weird as us being called Manchester, but it is a bit weird. I've never really ever thought about it though. Would probably call them Sheffield in passing pub talk.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
on a forum it’s bad, in a pub it’s worse I think :lol:
I say Sheffield United as one word, it’s just how my head knows them, i don’t even think of taking away the United part but then I never say united after Newcastle, my head just knows them as Newcastle.

In Rainbows

I don't know OP, but it's our annoyance being eradicated or yours. We don't want to spell it out.

I have to say, eradicating our annoyance should be prioritized.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why are they call Sheffield Wednesday? Any particular reason?
There was already a team called Sheffield that plays in red and white. So the blue and white Sheffield added the day they were formed to Sheffield to tell them apart.

These day’s They’re just called Sheffield and Wednesday as people are too lazy to write full team names or language has evolved or something :)

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Why are they call Sheffield Wednesday? Any particular reason?
In 1652, the Head of Sheffield (Or Head Sheff as he was known) wanted to form a football team, but there was such high interest that there were 8 teams created, Sheffield Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday etc as well as Sheffield FC. They all played out a tournament that Sheffield Wednesday won and they dominated the Sheffield football scene for years, so much so that in 1708, Monday's manager (Kevin Blackwell) arranged a meeting with all of the other teams except Wednesday and tried to form one team and become a United force to take on the evil of Wednesday, hence 'Sheffield United'.

Sheffield FC didn't attend the meeting as Meadowhall was opening the same day and they wanted to look in the Next sale. Which is why they're not included.

sewey89

So call them.. 'United'?
It's better than Sheffield and locally, people do refer to them as United and Wednesday. But nationally, people obviously think of Manchester United if you just say United. United, Sheff Utd, Sheff U or Sheffield United are the only names i've ever known them by.

Sheff U is actually shorter than Sheffield, with Sheff Utd being the same, for all you lazy basts.

Mick1

And the award for saddest most pedantic thread goes to...
So true.
It s like people referring to me as Michael and I go insane because well there s Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan or whatever.
This is such an anal thread. You don't need to type the full name when it s clear in the context.

Siorac

Actually calling Real Madrid just Madrid bothers me a bit. I’m guilty of that as well, something I’ve learned here, but it’s a bit wrong too.
Okay, not this again. Here's an article from Real Madrid's own very Spanish mouthpiece: https://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/opinion/2020/07/14/5f0d6e3322601d7f528b462a.html

Just count how many times "el Madrid" appears in it.

EDIT: Also, here's the match report of their last game from their own official website: https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2020/07/13/1-2-leaders-secure-ninth-win-on-bounce

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So true.
It s like people referring to me as Michael and I go insane because well there s Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan or whatever.
This is such an anal thread. You don't need to type the full name when it s clear in the context.
Wrong.
its like me starting a thing of just calling Aston Villa just Aston. Yeah you’ll brobably know who I’m on about as there’s only one team with Aston in the name in the premier league, and it’s quicker and easier to write but it’s just wrong.

sewey89

So true.
It isn't like that, at all.

paulscholes18

Wrong.
its like me starting a thing of just calling Aston Villa just Aston. Yeah you’ll brobably know who I’m on about as there’s only one team with Aston in the name in the premier league, and it’s quicker and easier to write but it’s just wrong.
Everyone calls them villa, we’re United which is why people just say Newcastle & Sheffield, the other team in Sheffield are known as Wednesday.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Everyone calls them villa, we’re United which is why people just say Newcastle & Sheffield, the other team in Sheffield are known as Wednesday.
Exactly, so calling them Aston would sound wrong even though it’s technically right.
We call ourselves united yes. Sheffield United fans call themselves united too. Or are they wrong and should be calling themselves Sheffield? Because we are united!!!!!!!!

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Let's pick a random London team and call them London.

For example, London are shite!
Few years back a mate of mine who is not into Football had a glance at the PL table whilst I was looking at it and went: "So no team from London in the top flight?"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly, so calling them Aston would sound wrong even though it’s technically right.
We call ourselves united yes. Sheffield United fans call themselves united too. Or are they wrong and should be calling themselves Sheffield? Because we are united!!!!!!!!
They call themselves what they want. At the end of the day, it totally depends on the context, there shouldn't be a right or wrong one as long as everyone involved in the conversation understand who we are talking about and the term isn't derogatory.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They call themselves what they want. At the end of the day, it totally depends on the context, there shouldn't be a right or wrong one as long as everyone involved in the conversation understand who we are talking about and the term isn't derogatory.
I see what you’re saying but you just sound like someone new to football or atleast new to Sheffield United, even thought you’re technically right

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Agree with OP but he’s done it in such an angry way it’s invited ridicule :lol:

youngrell

It's derogatory to Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield FC.

Ludens the Red

Same reason we were referred to as Manchester for years. Nobody knows who Sheffield Wednesday are anymore.
The only recent thing I know about Wednesday is them scoring against Sheffield, bouncing up and down and then immediately conceding a goal. It’s one of the funniest videos you’ll ever see.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It would be the same as calling Forest 'Nottingham', calling Bristol City 'Bristol', calling Celtic or Rangers 'Glasgow'.
But referring to AC Milan as Milan as is correct is wrong?

Of course referring to Celtic or Rangers as Glasgow would be weird. That isn't their name.