Callum Gribbin: The ex-Manchester United wonderkid starting again in England’s seventh tier

BuzzKillington

Adrian Doherty was rated higher than Giggs and reached the first team bench before Giggs did before suffering a career ending injury.

Everyone who saw him play rated him the best talent they ever saw people like Giggs, Robbie Savage and Brendan Rodgers etc
Every club seems to have one of these, I remember my city mates raving about Paul Lake like he was the second coming of Maradona.

the chameleon

Every club seems to have one of these, I remember my city mates raving about Paul Lake like he was the second coming of Maradona.
The funniest one I remember was George Graham's classic quote, in response to Michael Owen's rise in 1997/98.

"Liverpool have Michael Owen, but we have Harpal Singh."

lsd

The Oracle

I remember that hype. Did he have drink problems?

Might be Michael Johnson I'm thinking of

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, he's an utter bellend. Not that talented either.

By the way, I am Callum's dad.

SambaBoy

Read any article about a player on the Athletic and you will think he's one of the best players in the world or could have been,

They overhype the players, and they are normally obscure so it's hard to tell if what they are reporting is correct. I remember there being some hype around Gribbin, but best youth player since Morrison and Giggs? No.

Gavinb33

I think Lake did his cruciates beck
In the days when that was a career ending injury.
Yep and City bodged the operation and recovery from what i remember reading at the time.

As for the poster about Aidy Doherty the kid was being called up to the 1st team before Giggs, then got injured in a reserve team game and wasnt able to come back, i surmise if that happened now he'd more than likely make a full recovery and the book wasnt just a book about football it was his story and he wasnt your usual footballer and was considered very different by everyone and his death had an air of mystery about it also.

As for the article questioned and people questioning whether Gribbin was as good as people say, there are not too many quotes from United in the piece they are more from England youth coaches and others, as for the player if Vardy can do what he did you have to back yourself but it wont be easy.

Devil81

Just watched him play for FC United against Wythenshawe Town in the Manchester Cup.

Some nice touches but got the feeling he was just going through the motions with little heart for the fight.

I'd have expected a player of such talent to have dominated the game but the game seemed to have just passed him by. Such a shame to see.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He was great for FC yesterday. Can definitely play at a higher level but get the feeling he's enjoying it here.

He apparently has a decent job outside of life as a player so may be happy to play semi pro for a bit.

NoPace

Isn't this basically just an extreme case of slow #10s having no place in modern football? That's how he seemed to me as a youth prospect. Born 25 years too late.

Revaulx

Oh definitely, but Lake got quite a bit further than that. He was a first team regular for a couple of seasons before suffering a career-ending ACL injury.

A very classy ball playing defender, and an excellent professional apparently. All the indications were that he would have had a very good career had it not been ended so early.

Edit: @Gavinb33 it looks like you are quite right about City botching his recovery. I've just read his Wonkypedia bio :(

Last edited:

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Suffered a leg break on the weekend. Career in jeopardy. There is a gofundme for his operation.

Conor

Can someone explain to me how he needs a GoFundMe for a leg break suffered in a game, when my borderline comically amateur, 300 quid a season team was fully covered for stuff like this? Surely every team in England with a semblance of seriousness has insurance covering these things.

Stig

Same reason he couldn’t find a new club and is in the 7th tier. He’s an arrogant bellend who no one likes.
One of the best quotes ever. None of this modern politically correct nonsense. Say it as it is lad .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Can someone explain to me how he needs a GoFundMe for a leg break suffered in a game, when my borderline comically amateur, 300 quid a season team was fully covered for stuff like this? Surely every team in England with a semblance of seriousness has insurance covering these things.
Was wondering the same thing.

Dan_F

I can only assume they want the operation done privately to give him the best chance of recovery. I have to be honest, chances of returning to the same level with that much ligament damage seems pretty hopeful.

Superden

I can only assume they want the operation done privately to give him the best chance of recovery. I have to be honest, chances of returning to the same level with that much ligament damage seems pretty hopeful.
It was actually to subsidise his income for the period he would be out of action.

from the gofundme: Originally this crowdfunder was to provide some income for Callum to help him and his young family get through a year out of football, but we have today been told that while the PFA are kindly funding 50% of the costs, he needs to find the other 50% of the cost by Friday 17th March or the operation will have to be delayed, and even after the operation, he then faces 9-12 months of rehabilitation.

To me it seems to be a bit odd, as he is either supported by the club as an employee (and their insurance) or he claims from the welfare state.

Dan_F

It was actually to subsidise his income for the period he would be out of action.

from the gofundme: Originally this crowdfunder was to provide some income for Callum to help him and his young family get through a year out of football, but we have today been told that while the PFA are kindly funding 50% of the costs, he needs to find the other 50% of the cost by Friday 17th March or the operation will have to be delayed, and even after the operation, he then faces 9-12 months of rehabilitation.

To me it seems to be a bit odd, as he is either supported by the club as an employee (and their insurance) or he claims from the welfare state.
Not sure what to make of that then. You’d have thought wages would be subsidised through insurance too. Not sure how anyone could have surgery delayed for an injury as serious as that, could only suggest that it’s done privately.

Moriarty

Adrian Doherty was rated higher than Giggs and reached the first team bench before Giggs did before suffering a career ending injury.

Everyone who saw him play rated him the best talent they ever saw people like Giggs, Robbie Savage and Brendan Rodgers etc
That was a tragic tale. RIP.