Callum Gribbin

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't like the assertion that we somehow failed Morrison, we gave him every chance under the sun. Other than that, good article.
Particularly when Ravel himself admitted that he was the only one who was to be blamed for his time here and Sir Alex showed a lot of patience.

khoazany

How good do you think he can become? How would you compare him to Patrick Roberts?
He's a tricky one to say.He's blowing hot and cold and his attitude can be quite effy sometimes but that's not saying he has a poor attitude as it's normal for teenagers.He's a different kind of player to Roberts, both of them are amazing dribblers but Roberts is more of a goalscorer while Gribbin is more of a creator/link up player although he's capable of scoring some amazing solo goals from times to times plus his free-kicks are usually very good.Both of them have very high ceiling (talented enough to potentially become regulars for their current club) but both might turn out to be nothing player if their development are not handled properly (Roberts is quite weak while Gribbin is quite inconsistent even for a player of his mould).

Him,Rashford,Williams,Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah are certs to become Januzaj/Pereira/Wilson of the next batch (i.e those who will be given proper first team chances not because of injuries).How good they will become are, as always, depends on a lot of factors.

Last edited:

dichinero

He's a tricky one to say.He's blowing hot and cold and his attitude can be quite effy sometimes but that's not saying he has a poor attitude as it's normal for teenagers.He's a different kind of player to Roberts, both of them are amazing dribblers but Roberts is more of a goalscorer while Gribbin is more of a creator/link up player although he's capable of scoring some amazing solo goals from times to times plus his free-kicks are usually very good.Both of them have very high ceiling (talented enough to potentially become regulars for their current club) but both might turn out to be nothing player if their development are not handled properly (Roberts is quite weak while Gribbin is quite inconsistent even for a player of his mould).

Him,Rashford,Williams,Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah are certs to become Januzaj/Pereira/Wilson of the next batch (i.e those who will be given proper first team chances not because of injuries).How good they will become are, as always, depends on a lot of factors.
Cheers

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lad just doesn't impress me these days. Like Januzaj with less talent. I always mistrust these hot and cold players though, and Pogba was one of them so benefit of the doubt and all!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very gifted, although he always gives off the vibe as not having the best attitude or work ethic to me. Still very young though, and an interesting prospect.

m1y2

Lad just doesn't impress me these days. Like Januzaj with less talent. I always mistrust these hot and cold players though, and Pogba was one of them so benefit of the doubt and all!
exactly my feelings, the reason why I don't believe in Gribbin much is that he's English copy of Januzaj with a bit of less talent, slower and a bit more inconsistent but the lad can make huge steps this year and on and prove me wrong.

There is no attacking talent in the batch apart Mitchell and he could be the one in the spotlight before Gomes, Chong get promoted, so hopefully he does well and make himself a name...

datura

He's a very different player than Januzaj, he's a playmaker looking more to play others in than looking to dribble. I think it's a big year for him, lots of talent, but needs to be more consistent and productive.

I think Joyce will be good for him, get him working harder and be more defensively aware.

bdecuc

Thought it was impressive a week or so ago in the reserve match (v Oldham?) when he came on and immediately looked a much more progressive passer than anyone else. He's definitely talented. Hope he can fulfill the potential.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Gk:lol::lol::lol:
But great goal nevertheless, will be interesting to see for which selection he plays this year as he is available for both IIRC, with lack of offensive talent i reckon he will step up for the U21.

In Rainbows

He's a very different player than Januzaj, he's a playmaker looking more to play others in than looking to dribble. I think it's a big year for him, lots of talent, but needs to be more consistent and productive.

I think Joyce will be good for him, get him working harder and be more defensively aware.
That's exactly what Januzaj was at youth level though.

In Rainbows

Not really, he has always been far more offensive and individualistic. Gribbin's main asset is his vision and ability to dictate play.
I strongly disagree with that. Up until Moyes came, Adnan was all about creating for others often creating the pass that led to an assist. Once Moyes came, I agree he started to emphasize individual plays more often.

Anyways, back to Gribbin. This is a new season and I look forward to how he gets on after last season.

3KDré

He reads the Caf doesn't he?

I don't really watch U 18s, how good is he? As good as Gomes?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Great goal and a big fan of him giving the Ronaldo celebration an airing. Viva! @SirAF

paulscholes18

Going by a tweet he made a while back, yes he does, wonder how many pro players read there clubs football forums, like Rooney he reads this and sees that 99% of people want him to go to China

khoazany

As much as people hyping Gomes up, I don't see how anyone can compare between the likes of Rashford,Gribbin and Gomes in terms of pure talent. For me it's almost impossible to say and not just because they're young but because they have different strengths and weaknesses. To put things on perspective when Gribbin was at the same age as Gomes last season he was an U18s regular (Gomes only played regularly since around February) and was much more influential than Gomes was. However last season Gribbin didn't progress much and got an injury which allowed Gomes to play every game after that alongside the likes of DJ Buffonge and Boonen (Dearnley was also ahead of all of them but was injured as well and Rashford promoted to 1st team).

In terms of attributes I'd say Gomes edges in on agility which allows him to play in all three positions behind the striker while Gribbin could play there at youth level but would have no chance on the wing for senior football (imagine a much slower Januzaj on the wing).Both of them had great vision and passing although Gribbin shown it more.Both of them can play as a "number 8" however Gribbin's slowness and Gomes's physique would be a concern defensively. Both of them are good dribblers but don't use it all the time and tend to act more like a playmaker/ball distributor. In terms of attitude/mentality Gomes probably the better one however Gribbin's problem is just normal teenager childish imho not anything too serious and the club is well aware of it.

With Chong who's also a top talent coming on plus other good talents like DJ Buffonge it's pretty excited to see them play together in the youth team/U23s and who know might be one day in the 1st team.

In Rainbows

Didn't Gribbin play regularly for the u18 just before he hit 16 years of age? That could just be due to Gribbin's birthday being in the middle of the season where as Gomes' birthday is at the end of August. Or maybe my memory is just bad.

As for the comparison, I think Gomes has slightly better technique. The problem is that he's not aggressive right now and doesn't use it to his full advantage. I think he did in one or two matches for the u18s, but I saw him being very passive which kind of subdued his influence on u18 matches. Him being more aggressive will allow him to utilize his through ball ability more often. I think you covered everything else already.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Going by a tweet he made a while back, yes he does, wonder how many pro players read there clubs football forums, like Rooney he reads this and sees that 99% of people want him to go to China
Got a link to said tweet?

jb8521

Didn't Gribbin play regularly for the u18 just before he hit 16 years of age? That could just be due to Gribbin's birthday being in the middle of the season where as Gomes' birthday is at the end of August. Or maybe my memory is just bad.

As for the comparison, I think Gomes has slightly better technique. The problem is that he's not aggressive right now and doesn't use it to his full advantage. I think he did in one or two matches for the u18s, but I saw him being very passive which kind of subdued his influence on u18 matches. Him being more aggressive will allow him to utilize his through ball ability more often. I think you covered everything else already.
Yeah you're right Gribbin didn't make his u18s debut until a few months before his 16th birthday whereas Gomes has already had a full season with the u18s before turning 16

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
As much as people hyping Gomes up, I don't see how anyone can compare between the likes of Rashford,Gribbin and Gomes in terms of pure talent. For me it's almost impossible to say and not just because they're young but because they have different strengths and weaknesses. To put things on perspective when Gribbin was at the same age as Gomes last season he was an U18s regular (Gomes only played regularly since around February) and was much more influential than Gomes was. However last season Gribbin didn't progress much and got an injury which allowed Gomes to play every game after that alongside the likes of DJ Buffonge and Boonen (Dearnley was also ahead of all of them but was injured as well and Rashford promoted to 1st team).

In terms of attributes I'd say Gomes edges in on agility which allows him to play in all three positions behind the striker while Gribbin could play there at youth level but would have no chance on the wing for senior football (imagine a much slower Januzaj on the wing).Both of them had great vision and passing although Gribbin shown it more.Both of them can play as a "number 8" however Gribbin's slowness and Gomes's physique would be a concern defensively. Both of them are good dribblers but don't use it all the time and tend to act more like a playmaker/ball distributor. In terms of attitude/mentality Gomes probably the better one however Gribbin's problem is just normal teenager childish imho not anything too serious and the club is well aware of it.

With Chong who's also a top talent coming on plus other good talents like DJ Buffonge it's pretty excited to see them play together in the youth team/U23s and who know might be one day in the 1st team.
Thanks, was just about to ask about Gribbin & Gomes, about the potential ability of the players as well as preferred positions.

Brightonian

I strongly disagree with that. Up until Moyes came, Adnan was all about creating for others often creating the pass that led to an assist. Once Moyes came, I agree he started to emphasize individual plays more often.
I agree, stylistically Gribbin is very similar to what Januzaj was when he was at this level. Same balance of dribbling and playmaking. But not quite as good, slower, and seemingly without the superb attitude which propelled Adnan through the youth ranks so rapidly.

Still very gifted though, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Classical Mechanic

I would imagine that the youth players would look at the forums as it would be one of the first times their name is up in lights so to speak.

I doubt Rooney would bother looking on forums given that most of the content relates to him being fat/overrated/ugly/granny shagger/living off a past reuptation/overpaid etc.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree, stylistically Gribbin is very similar to what Januzaj was when he was at this level. Same balance of dribbling and playmaking. But not quite as good, slower, and seemingly without the superb attitude which propelled Adnan through the youth ranks so rapidly.

Is Gribbins attitude really a problem? To me his childish behaviour and body language might be an indication of how much he enjoys winning and succeeding. Bit like Ronaldo. Lets hope he grows up, and manage to use it right.

Regarding Gomes it is difficult to see how he will end up. Maybe his best chance is as a Modric/Scholes/Veratti-type of player? Hopefully he will get more out of his talent than his father did.

Brightonian

Is Gribbins attitude really a problem? To me his childish behaviour and body language might be an indication of how much he enjoys winning and succeeding. Bit like Ronaldo. Lets hope he grows up, and manage to use it right.
Oh, not yet. Over the next couple of years he'll have to be more driven and focussed if he wants to make it, but not every player needs to be a model student from the age of 12. And it's not as if he's skipping training or anything like that, just that on the pitch he sometimes doesn't seem to be that bothered.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Oh, not yet. Over the next couple of years he'll have to be more driven and focussed if he wants to make it, but not every player needs to be a model student from the age of 12. And it's not as if he's skipping training or anything like that, just that on the pitch he sometimes doesn't seem to be that bothered.
All talents, whether in football or anywhere else, that there will always be someone just as talented but with proper dedication. And even if they were less talented, dedication and hard work beats talent. Always.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Is that right? With so many questions about his attitude in recent years is it not possible that it was his superb talent that propelled him through the youth ranks so quickly and a less than superb attitude which has seen his career stall as a senior pro?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I dont know why Callum's attidtude has been questioned. Unlike Ravel there have been rarely any reports about him. I do think he could be cocky as he is clearly very very talented and that happens sometimes.
To put it into perspective, there were reports where coaches said januzaj needs to play football rather than video games to realize potential.

Brightonian

Is that right? With so many questions about his attitude in recent years is it not possible that it was his superb talent that propelled him through the youth ranks so quickly and a less than superb attitude which has seen his career stall as a senior pro?
No. People repeatedly and consistently commented on his drive and focus when he was coming through the ranks (and during his first season under Moyes). And you could see it on the pitch, he turned up in the U21s as a 17-year old and was immediately looking to be everywhere, on the ball as much as possible, trying to dominate the game. Within six months he was the best player in the side. I'm not disputing that clearly it's all gone sour with him now, but there's no denying he had a stellar attitude back then.

The talent didn't hurt, of course.

Ephrem

No. People repeatedly and consistently commented on his drive and focus when he was coming through the ranks (and during his first season under Moyes). And you could see it on the pitch, he turned up in the U21s as a 17-year old and was immediately looking to be everywhere, on the ball as much as possible, trying to dominate the game. Within six months he was the best player in the side. I'm not disputing that clearly it's all gone sour with him now, but there's no denying he had a stellar attitude back then.

The talent didn't hurt, of course.
He had a good attitude at that time . Then all the talk went into his head and now he things he can stay on the team without a proper fight

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I dont know why Callum's attidtude has been questioned. Unlike Ravel there have been rarely any reports about him. I do think he could be cocky as he is clearly very very talented and that happens sometimes.
To put it into perspective, there were reports where coaches said januzaj needs to play football rather than video games to realize potential.
It's not because of reports, it's because he looks a little bit lazy and inconsistent on the pitch. But like i said, Pogba had a touch of the same, Pereira too, arguably Harrop as well, doesn't mean he can't be a good player, just means he's frustrating to watch.