Callum Gribbin

In Rainbows

Is that right? With so many questions about his attitude in recent years is it not possible that it was his superb talent that propelled him through the youth ranks so quickly and a less than superb attitude which has seen his career stall as a senior pro?
Before he played for the first team, it was constantly reported that Adnan was grounded due to his father always criticizing him even after dominating games. Maybe not criticizing him, but rather, he would let him know that you could always improve. I'm pretty sure Adnan reiterated this after winning u21 player of the year at age 18. That he could always do better.

Ferreira, who became the youngest coach of a Belgian first division team when he took charge of Charleroi at the age of 31, provides further insight into Januzaj's application and professionalism from an early age. "Adnan was a young boy who really loved the game. He was always disappointed when the training session was over or when I gave the players a day off.

"For example, in 2008-2009 we played our league games on a Saturday afternoon. The Sunday was a day off but I planned a training session for the players who had not been selected and for the ones who didn't play much. Adnan played every single game from the first until the last minute, but he came to every Sunday session.

"I've had a lot of chats with his father. He's a kind person. Very demanding, but that's what young players need if they want to reach the top. He watched every single training session and game. Even when Adnan played well, he always had some things to tell his son to help him to improve. He was not the kind of father saying after each game that his son was the best and he played a great game. He was always demanding improvement. And this is something that made Adnan mentally strong."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/18/adnan-januzaj-manchester-united-rising-star

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hmmm.... His father seems to get mentioned more often than the father of other young players. I wonder if he's part of the problem. Really pushy parents can help young kids excel for a while but that can cause problems as the kid grows up and needs to start to find that motivation within.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree, stylistically Gribbin is very similar to what Januzaj was when he was at this level. Same balance of dribbling and playmaking. But not quite as good, slower, and seemingly without the superb attitude which propelled Adnan through the youth ranks so rapidly.

Still very gifted though, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.
I think Gribbin is a bigger goal threat to what Adnan was down there too. The free-kicks alone add another dimension.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Love watching him play at the moment. Looks like he is maturing. Used to be a bit of a crybaby. Now he shows grit and determination. If his hunger and will to win can be directed properly we have a big talent on our hands.

spenzo

Love watching him play at the moment. Looks like he is maturing. Used to be a bit of a crybaby. Now he shows grit and determination. If his hunger and will to win can be directed properly we have a big talent on our hands.
Very true, have to admit I'd almost written him off because of his attitude, the ability has always been clear and it's good to see he's turned a corner mentally it seems.

barmyarmy

I was expecting him to do good in U23 this season and be on fringes of first team next season. Hopefully he comes back stronger. Get well soon Callum

Lots of young players recently where i had high hope spoiled by injuries (W.keane, J.Wilson).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's clear he wont, if we will develoo a young attacking midfielder for our first team ir will be Gomes. Gribbin is a very good player but the injuries, his lack of imposing himself will hold him back. He is not much different than the likes of Harrop, also very gifted players but clear they wont make it here.

You'll have to go back for a while to see the last time Gribben went on a run when he was consistently outstanding, must be like two years ago minimum. It is a shame as he does have the talent to succees here.

Prodigal7

It's clear he wont, if we will develoo a young attacking midfielder for our first team ir will be Gomes. Gribbin is a very good player but the injuries, his lack of imposing himself will hold him back. He is not much different than the likes of Harrop, also very gifted players but clear they wont make it here.

You'll have to go back for a while to see the last time Gribben went on a run when he was consistently outstanding, must be like two years ago minimum. It is a shame as he does have the talent to succees here.
Would have to disagree with that. We're not limited to one attacking midfielder that can progress into the first team and Gribbin has proven he can play from the right or even up front as he seemed to play against Barca, Gomes can play deeper (as he has for England) or on the left. He can go missing in a game but so can Gomes and so did many other now top players. He's arguably the player with the most potential in the academy after Gomes and to say he won't make it here because of Gomes is a little strange. His attitude to put in the work is the only thing that will hold him back, he's far superior to Harrop.

Sammyjunn

Would have to disagree with that. We're not limited to one attacking midfielder that can progress into the first team and Gribbin has proven he can play from the right or even up front as he seemed to play against Barca, Gomes can play deeper (as he has for England) or on the left. He can go missing in a game but so can Gomes and so did many other now top players. He's arguably the player with the most potential in the academy after Gomes and to say he won't make it here because of Gomes is a little strange. His attitude to put in the work is the only thing that will hold him back, he's far superior to Harrop.
I am very doubtful we are going to promote a relatively slow no 10 as winger,we dont have that luxury. The competition is high, promoting youngsters is hars, but promoting youngsters in their non-favourite positions is maybe even harder. Someone like Januzaj was like the faster Gribbin with a better action but even he struggled after his 1st year. The injuries have had a lot of impact on his development too, has he really progressed from two years ago? He is still very young but almost 19 and has no perspective on first team football yet whilst he hasnt been setting the world alight in this season so far either.

He is very gifted and talent but misses the complete package, which considers mentality, determination on the pitch and physique too. Someone like Foden isnt a beast but is able to use his body very well at this tender age.

I'd have Greenwood, Chong (who isnt more gifted), Williams, Tuanzebe ahead of him in terms of potential, albeit playing different positions.

Prodigal7

I am very doubtful we are going to promote a relatively slow no 10 as winger,we dont have that luxury. The competition is high, promoting youngsters is hars, but promoting youngsters in their non-favourite positions is maybe even harder. Someone like Januzaj was like the faster Gribbin with a better action but even he struggled after his 1st year. The injuries have had a lot of impact on his development too, has he really progressed from two years ago? He is still very young but almost 19 and has no perspective on first team football yet whilst he hasnt been setting the world alight in this season so far either.

He is very gifted and talent but misses the complete package, which considers mentality, determination on the pitch and physique too. Someone like Foden isnt a beast but is able to use his body very well at this tender age.

I'd have Greenwood, Chong (who isnt more gifted), Williams, Tuanzebe ahead of him in terms of potential, albeit playing different positions.
I'd still disagree. I think he was proven himself in wide positions many times before and he's not what I would call slow or even relatively slow. He demonstrated that at 18 years old he was one of the best if not the best player in the U23s at the time. Mentality is clearly an issue, but if Lingard can make it then Gribbin can certainly make it with the right attitude. Greenwood perhaps has a higher ceiling in a wide position but he is 4 years younger and so won't have an impact on a Gribbin breakthrough into the first team. I get the feeling you're not a fan of the person as much as the player.

khoazany

His injury came a the wrong time. Was playing well in pre-season and looks like will be a key player for the U23s this season.

Sammyjunn

I'd still disagree. I think he was proven himself in wide positions many times before and he's not what I would call slow or even relatively slow. He demonstrated that at 18 years old he was one of the best if not the best player in the U23s at the time. Mentality is clearly an issue, but if Lingard can make it then Gribbin can certainly make it with the right attitude. Greenwood perhaps has a higher ceiling in a wide position but he is 4 years younger and so won't have an impact on a Gribbin breakthrough into the first team. I get the feeling you're not a fan of the person as much as the player.
I like Gribbin a lot, unorthodox English player with technique and skill at #1 priority. But I cant help but feel that the injuries and mentality have held him back and that A Gomes would make it here before Gribbin as an attacking midfielder.

We'd also rather sign a winger or false 9 (if Mou ever wants to play with that) than shoehorn a youth player into that position.

Gribbin is slower than Januzaj and pace was a problem for him many at times when he played on the wing. After beating defenders they'd catch up on him very quickly.

Lingard is a better player than he is given credit for, not as talented as Gribbin and Rashford etc but even Saf predicted he'd bloom later.

Greenwood wont affect Gribbin but feel he has more potential than Gribbin.

SteveW

He's not that good to be honest. Decent skill and a nice left foot but also slow and fairly half arsed

Dr. StrangeHate

Apparently he spent the most time with First team, other players who trained included bohui,Gomes, mitchel.
It has been a few years since Rashford broke through, so hoping he can make the step up. His technique and dribbling was better than most people on the reserves pitch everytime I have seen him.

Scholsey2004

FA cup appearance in mind?
Possibly but mkhitaryan is out of form and favour and there was a rumour martial had a slight groin pull so maybe he's just next in line. Would love to see him get some playing time. Love seeing the youngsters get promoted.

Litch

Watch him a lot and one of many technically good young players we have in the club. The only issue for me is where would we play him as to me he's a bit of an winger type 442 player rather than playing in a 3.

Danish Wizard

Chill guys. It's very common for youngsters to join the first team training. Remember the Tosin Kehinde thread a couple of weeks ago.
Gribbin might be a contender for a spot on the bench against Derby, but no reason to get too excited at the moment :)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cracking finish, so much composure.

On the topic of Gribbin, he's 20 this year but missed a substantial amount of last season through injury. Do we think he might go on the pre-season tour?

KevinJoh

pre season and than probably loan, or directly to loan, as there is no point for him to play second U23 league

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Extremely talented lad who's development has unfortunately been stalled by these injuries. The way he was playing for the u18s when he was still u16 was remarkable. I suppose a loan would be the next step for him, personally think a loan to the Eredevisie or similar would be far more beneficial than trying to go to the Championship for him. Unfortunately, his injuries and the emergence of Gomes and Chong will likely see minimal chances for him.

IIRC I read he was learning Spanish before, would love for him to go play in Spain.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Extremely talented lad who's development has unfortunately been stalled by these injuries. The way he was playing for the u18s when he was still u16 was remarkable. I suppose a loan would be the next step for him, personally think a loan to the Eredevisie or similar would be far more beneficial than trying to go to the Championship for him. Unfortunately, his injuries and the emergence of Gomes and Chong will likely see minimal chances for him.

IIRC I read he was learning Spanish before, would love for him to go play in Spain.
Agreed, there's a very Spanish-esque elegance about the way he plays.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think he reads caf as well IIRC, so another reason to like him

DanClancy

He needs football but doubt a loan to a championship club would make sense for him at this stage in his development, I see Spain mentioned but would he get enough game time at a la liga club? I'd have thought a year in the Eredivise would be a more likely move.