Callum Gribbin

KevinJoh

The best move for us at this moment would be to buy small club in Spain, Portugal or Netherlands and have a couple of kids there in order to develop them and give them some playing time. Wherever Gribbin or Gomes or any other kid goes at this moment in their career they will take a game time from some local talent and will have to be much better to get minutes. Look at Fosu Mensah case this year. Also, they will play in the system that will be much different than the one they would play for us, so it can be also problem. If we would buy a club, have some decent players there and our coaches, they can develop in the real environment. Even price for those clubs is not big, I am pretty sure you can buy solid club for the price of one top player on the market at the moment, and benefits would be huge.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The best move for us at this moment would be to buy small club in Spain, Portugal or Netherlands and have a couple of kids there in order to develop them and give them some playing time. Wherever Gribbin or Gomes or any other kid goes at this moment in their career they will take a game time from some local talent and will have to be much better to get minutes. Look at Fosu Mensah case this year. Also, they will play in the system that will be much different than the one they would play for us, so it can be also problem. If we would buy a club, have some decent players there and our coaches, they can develop in the real environment. Even price for those clubs is not big, I am pretty sure you can buy solid club for the price of one top player on the market at the moment, and benefits would be huge.
There was talk about us doing it a few years back but unfortunately nothing ever came of it. It'd definitely be the best thing to develop players.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Could evolve into a deep-lying Carrick-type controller of the game if he wanted to.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Could evolve into a deep-lying Carrick-type controller of the game if he wanted to.
Be a bit of a waste of his dribbling/ball carrying abilities, he's better further up the pitch.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Be a bit of a waste of his dribbling/ball carrying abilities, he's better further up the pitch.
Same was said about Pirlo, Busquets etc.

Being able to walk past kids is different to being able to influence a top level game; Matic was also an attacking midfielder in his youth. Gribbin could really orchestrate things from deeper.

dr.twinny

There was talk about us doing it a few years back but unfortunately nothing ever came of it. It'd definitely be the best thing to develop players.
Weren't we trying to link up with Gent out of Belgium as a farmer club? Hopefully it's still on the agenda.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Weren't we trying to link up with Gent out of Belgium as a farmer club? Hopefully it's still on the agenda.
I've seen a few others on here mention it but I think that dates back even further so doesn't seem anything came of it.

There was a piece a couple years back about us searching for second division clubs in France, Netherlands, and Belgium to buy. Unfortunately, we haven't made that move and I think we are missing a big trick there. It would be massive for player development.

dr.twinny

Definitely. Any of the aforementioned leagues would be ideal in giving our youngsters a quicker pathway to the first team rather than being stuck in the u23s.

Back to Gribbin...would he have a chance of joining the first team on tour? I think injuries have slowed his development but I think he showed glimpses of his best at the back end of the season. With players at the World Cup and possible injuries, I'd love to see him push on for a squad role like what McTominay did this season.

the chameleon

Thought I'd bump this thread.

I've followed this lad since the U15 Victory Shield, it was great to hear that he was a United player.

He has excellent ball control, a great shot and was beginning to a tenacity to his game.

With the pre-season tour coming, I've noticed that he's not been mentioned as a possibility for the tour.

This is a slight concern because he turns 19 this year. I know he's had his injuries but he was beginning to show form.

It's a shame that younger lads are overtaking him in the pecking order.

Does anyone have the latest on his development, because it would a shame to see such a talented local lad not make it here.

ijc

Genuine question...whatever happened to this guy?

I used to think he will take the first team by storm given his considerable talent.

Utdstar01

I used to think he will take the first team by storm given his considerable talent.
Not sure mate. Hes not even starting for the U23s right now which is strange in itself. Saying that, Sbragia makes some weird decisions.

kundalini

A combination of missing too many games through injury this season and last season, and being overtaken by Chong and Gomes as the club's priorities in his positions. The fact that he started the final 5 games at the end of last season yet didn't go on the summer tour, while so many other youngsters did, should give you a clue as to his current situation.

If you look at his appearances for the U23s in the league, and the games he has missed, you can see what happened. 10 starts for the U23s while still eligible to play U18s, though only one goal and one assist. The following season one start in December then a run of 5 games right at the end of the season, 2 goals (including 1 penalty) and one assist. This season played the first U23 pre-season game then injured soon after. Two sub appearances in the U23 league so far this season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-gribbin/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/314370/verein/9251

He turns 20 in December. The problem Gribbin faces now is that Gomes and Chong are likely to be given first team opportunities ahead of him. Already we have seen DJ Buffonge benched despite being perhaps the best player in the early games, so that Gomes could play as a no 10.

Hard to imagine League One clubs wanting to take him on loan in Jan given how little football he has played this season. Next summer difficult decision for him, assuming United offer him a new deal. To get a Championship loan this season you either needed experience on loan in League One/Scottish Prem/Eredivisie (Dean Henderson route), some first team experience (like Tuanzebe), be a regular for England U19s or U20s, or be a star performer in the top U23 division.

Last edited:

GledTheRed

A combination of missing too many games through injury this season and last season, and being overtaken by Chong and Gomes as the club's priorities in his positions. The fact that he started the final 5 games at the end of last season yet didn't go on the summer tour, while so many other youngsters did, should give you a clue as to his current situation.

If you look at his appearances for the U23s in the league, and the games he has missed, you can see what happened. 10 starts for the U23s while still eligible to play U18s, though only one goal and one assist. The following season one start in December then a run of 5 games right at the end of the season, 2 goals (including 1 penalty) and one assist. This season played the first U23 pre-season game then injured soon after. Two sub appearances in the U23 league so far this season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-gribbin/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/314370/verein/9251

He turns 20 in December. The problem Gribbin faces now is that Gomes and Chong are likely to be given first team opportunities ahead of him. Already we have seen DJ Buffonge benched despite being perhaps the best player in the early games, so that Gomes could play as a no 10.

Hard to imagine League One clubs wanting to take him on loan in Jan given how little football he has played this season. Next summer difficult decision for him, assuming United offer him a new deal. To get a Championship loan this season you either needed experience on loan in League One/Scottish Prem/Eredivisie (Dean Henderson route), some first team experience (like Tuanzebe), be a regular for England U19s or U20s, or be a star performer in the top U23 division.
Top post.

Eric's Seagull

I've seen a few others on here mention it but I think that dates back even further so doesn't seem anything came of it.

There was a piece a couple years back about us searching for second division clubs in France, Netherlands, and Belgium to buy. Unfortunately, we haven't made that move and I think we are missing a big trick there. It would be massive for player development.
Just found this post interesting about us potentially buying a a club in France or Holland etc. Seems a good idea.
Does anybody know why we didn't do it?

Or does this deserve it's own thread.

Devil81

Not having that, why would you throw a career in football away. I think his United career has slipped away through injuries but he still good enough to play at a very good level.

Devil81

Nowt on the net about it, he was only training with the first team a few weeks ago.

NickyT

This cant be fact, surely he'll be back playing soon, and his hiatus is down to injury

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This cant be fact, surely he'll be back playing soon, and his hiatus is down to injury
JB's about as reliable as it gets regarding United academy, he said that his ego's getting in the way of his football, he's been fit for a while.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Looks good, but in this video he only uses his left foot. He doesn't even pass a ball with his right. Definitely needs to work on his weaker foot...

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Seen on transfer market that his contract is expiring this summer? Guess there's no chance of an extension?

Crazy how a player who was/is highly regarded would throw his career away like this! He'll regret it when he's 30, Ravel should get on the blower.

RB7N

If Callum sees taking a break from football (and possibly quitting) as the right move for his well being in life,
then good for him, that is one hell of a brave thing to do.

Dungarvanred

Is there any news, official or otherwise on Callum anywhere? I can't seem to find any. Hope the lad is OK.