Callum Hudson-Odi | Contract extension signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Dunno why Chelsea would let him go, They have 2 transfer windows ban don't They?

extincti fugax hominum

Signing both Hudson-Odoi & Sancho would be something special and settle our wings down for the foreseeable future with Martial and Lingard. Not sure about who to discard though. Mata looks the first and certain one and while Sanchez has done next to nothing since he came here; Lukaku is the elephant in the room. He's not good enough to be a starting 11 player, hampers our game and tempo and too expensive to sit on the bench. He would probably fetch a lot more than Sanchez would too. So it makes more sense to ship him out.

Judas

Open to offers
Signing both Hudson-Odoi & Sancho would be something special and settle our wings down for the foreseeable future with Martial and Lingard. Not sure about who to discard though. Mata looks the first and certain one and while Sanchez has done next to nothing since he came here; Lukaku is the elephant in the room. He's not good enough to be a starting 11 player, hampers our game and tempo and too expensive to sit on the bench. He would probably fetch a lot more than Sanchez would too. So it makes more sense to ship him out.
Anyone wanting to bin off Lukaku ahead of Sanchez is odd in my view. Ones got a use, the other is...well you know where I'm going with that.

Litch

I’m referring to people who are comparing him to Hudson Odoi, who is clearly way ahead of him development wise. Chong is clearly developing at a slower pace, which is obviously fine and takes nothing away from his achievements so far. However, it is ridiculous comparing the 2 at the moment, anyone claiming otherwise need their head checked. They’re the same people who wouldn’t want us to sign Sancho, as it might hinder Chong’s chances.
Never understood why we set the bar at anomalies? These players in Sancho and CHO represent less than 1% of where most of the professional 19 year old players in their development. Why should they be the measure? Clearly it's not about comparing Chong to them but like I said previously, the reason they left or wanted to leave is because of the lack of first team opportunities. Pogba was the same. In general not many were competing with BM or Juve for their signature and they left to develop away from their respective clubs. Not saying that Chong or Gomes will become world beaters but they need opportunities to prove it beyond the league cup. The irony is that's exactly what Sancho has done and CHO wants to do. Let's no lose Chong and Gomes et al in the same way, it could be extremely costly.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Have people forgotten that Chong was put with a knee injury for a year? He's not that far behind CHO on development if we take the injury into account, only time will tell who turns out to be a better player, and CHO is currently better.

Just annoys me when people say Chong is a year older so he should be further along, he's technically behind CHO in his development.

extincti fugax hominum

Anyone wanting to bin off Lukaku ahead of Sanchez is odd in my view. Ones got a use, the other is...well you know where I'm going with that.
Based on what they've done so far with us, yeah i agree that Lukaku has done more than Alexis (not that Lukaku's been brilliant or anything becuase he's not been good enough either but Sanchez is far from what we expect of him and his Arsenal & Barcelona days) but is he good enough to be a part of our team in the long term really? I don't think so, really. He lost some value in the last couple of months and that's why i say "let's cut our losses" when his value is somewhat high and he has his suitors before it decreases even more.

Alexis is not in his best shape now but definitely has got in him to play at the highest level. Is he done or not is another question but he's a top class player. I don't think we can say the same for Lukaku. Plus, i think using Rashford, Alexis or Martial (creative players with great technique) as CF is more suited to the fluid game we want to play under Ole. Like Fellaini reminded Moyes to some here, Lukaku reminds the football Mourinho wanted to play for me. So, all in all maybe not a popular opinion but selling Lukaku ahead of Sanchez makes more sense to me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The club can't tap him up but surely the caf can? It's time for us to be useful and invite him in the family.:devil:

dbs235

It's been said before but no way he should be ever starting over Hazard, no one should. That pretty much leaves 1 place for him, Willian and Pedro to fight for. Not sure he's been as underused as people are making out. Think after his England performances he'll probably get more game time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Will you do the honors? You're a likeable guy.
Thanks. I wouldn't know how to do it myself but I wonder if inviting a player on the caf podcast would work.

SteveW

You want to sell Lukaku who's contributed a number of important goals recently but you want to keep Sanchez who looks completely past it and is on the highest wage in the club by a mile. Very strange

extincti fugax hominum

You want to sell Lukaku who's contributed a number of important goals recently but you want to keep Sanchez who looks completely past it and is on the highest wage in the club by a mile. Very strange
I already explained my reasoning behind it in the later post. I just don't see Lukaku reaching the very top level ever with or without us. He was an expensive mistake imo as he didn't suit technically to the football we like to see from our team (a bit like Fellaini in that respect) and i also question his mentality (he fecks it up generally in the big games and big moments bar the odd game like PSG away) so he was a wrong purchase imo but an understandable one because Mourinho liked his qualities (probably much more than he should've). Also, i don't completely give up hope on Sanchez either. I know it sounds strange as Lukaku's done more so far and Sanchez's shown nearly nothing but it is what it is.

SteveW

I already explained my reasoning behind it in the later post. I just don't see Lukaku reaching the very top level ever with or without us. He was an expensive mistake imo as he didn't suit technically to the football we like to see from our team (a bit like Fellaini in that respect) and i also question his mentality (he fecks it up generally in the big games and big moments bar the odd game like PSG away) so he was a wrong purchase imo but an understandable one because Mourinho liked his qualities (probably much more than he should've). Also, i don't completely give up hope on Sanchez either. I know it sounds strange as Lukaku's done more so far and Sanchez's shown nearly nothing but it is what it is.
I doubt if Ole has any interest in keeping Sanchez around. He wants a mobile, hard working team. Alexis's legs are gone.

I also doubt if he's a huge fan of Lukaku but one problem at a time. He'll probably stay for the moment.

In terms of potential I find it strange that you see a player in decline as having more future upside than a guy in his mid 20s. But to each their own i guess.

extincti fugax hominum

I doubt if Ole has any interest in keeping Sanchez around. He wants a mobile, hard working team. Alexis's legs are gone.

I also doubt if he's a huge fan of Lukaku but one problem at a time. He'll probably stay for the moment.

In terms of potential I find it strange that you see a player in decline as having more future upside than a guy in his mid 20s. But to each their own i guess.
Like i said, i don't think Sanchez is finished at just 30 as he's a passionate guy about football & a great professional who looks after himself very well. He had his probably best ever individual season (30 g, 18 a; he played every single game in the PL that season too and there was talk of him being the best player in the PL here) in 16-17 season, just 2 years ago, the season before he came to us and was also far from that best form just a couple of months after that season (first half of 17-18). And that's down to something (injuries or fatigue maybe? as he didn't rest for a good number of summers in a row) but he can't go from a 30 goals a season player to the one we've seen in the last one and a half year in a moment. Maybe not as a flying winger for a full season anymore but we can certainly make use of him as a CF, ST, SS or a false 9 etc imo. He didn't show anything so far to suggest that maybe but i still didn't give up on him completely as i said. I hope that's not just a wishful thinking on my part though. We'll see what happens with him i suppose.

Yeah, we need other problems to solve but where does Lukaku staying in the team leave Rashford, our transfer strategy or new guys in next years plan? We also need to think about that. Lukaku won't want to sit on the bench to play second fiddle to Rashford and he's not good enough to be first choice. If we get a new RW then Rashford's game time will be limited to his minutes as a ST and he needs to be playing all the time too imo. At some point you have to part ways and this summer is the perfect time for that before Lukaku's value decreases. We need to be ruthless with some players and Lukaku, Mata, Valencia etc. (maybe even Matic) are the ones i'm talking about.

To be honest, both Sanchez & Lukaku deserve to be shipped out as neither have been good enough for us but if we are to sell one, then i choose Lukaku as he's somewhat surplus to requirements, likely to bring more money from sale, not up to the standards, we have and need Rashford, Martial etc. (someone with better technical ability) to play as a striker for us, Alexis is a better player technically etc. It seems a strange choice because Lukaku is younger and gives more than Sanchez does at the minute but at their best, it's not even a contest between them. So, i prefer to have the highest ceiling player out of two underperforming players considering the squad places, finances etc. too. Each to their own as you said.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
The Chelsea fans on here are hurting bad. Incredibly naive if they think we couldn't get CHO here if both parties want to do the deal. Even if it means waiting a year, in which case they'd have no say in the matter.

Not saying we want him or he wants to come, but the way they dismiss the possibility is quite funny. We've been in this position many times with players that we apparently wouldn't be allowed to sign and we know that's not always the case. This was the same line spun at one stage about Sanchez. Berbatov another, RVP also. All players more important to their clubs at the time too.
Your delusional for thinking both parties would want to do a deal at all. We are not Wenger’s arsenal. We wouldn’t sell to you but keep thinking otherwise

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Your delusional for thinking both parties would want to do a deal at all. We are not Wenger’s arsenal. We wouldn’t sell to you but keep thinking otherwise
Yeah, Chelsea will never sell players to ManUtd, they never sold Mata when he was 25/26 who had plenty of years on contract and won Chelsea player of the season for 2 years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ive never heard a kid who has played as little top level football get spoken about so much
Agreed.

He looks a good talent but I'm much more interested in us signing Sancho. This guys is even less established and appears less well rounded/talented to me, not to mention the fact that Chelsea aren't selling to us. So yeah I don't see why people are speculating as much as they are about this one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, Chelsea will never sell players to ManUtd, they never sold Mata when he was 25/26 who had plenty of years on contract and won Chelsea player of the season for 2 years.
As we've all seen since, Mata isn't the player he once was. He didn't fit in with their plans and was a lesser version of the player he used to be. They probably saw it as a harmless transfer. It's not impossible for us to sign Chelsea players but when Bayern are clearly interested in a promising Chelsea player, I can't see why they'd sell him to us. Not that I'm bothered about it either. He's featured too little for me to get enticed by and there's a more exciting talent our there we are getting linked with.

roonster09

Scout
As we've all seen since, Mata isn't the player he once was. He didn't fit in with their plans and was a lesser version of the player he used to be. They probably saw it as a harmless transfer. It's not impossible for us to sign Chelsea players but when Bayern are clearly interested in a promising Chelsea player, I can't see why they'd sell him to us. Not that I'm bothered about it either. He's featured too little for me to get enticed by and there's a more exciting talent our there we are getting linked with.
They didn't sell him as he was harmless transfer, they sold him as he was valuable asset who wasn't getting game time. Obviously if Bayern is in, then they will sell him. Point was having deal with CHO sort of like Bayern had with Lewandowski so player rejected move elsewhere. IIRC RVP was also wanted by Juventus but he wanted only ManUtd. Obviously we are far from that level now, so it's a big 'IF'

ghagua

Huge fan of his now. Want both him and Sancho in the squad. Would move Martial more central and let him fight it out with Lukaku.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Such revisionist history...

We sold Mata because Mourinho deemed him surplus to requirements (he preferred Oscar which was ultimately a bad choice). When have Chelsea sold a player to United that the “club” wanted to sell? Even Matic who we sold to United was done with the clubs blessing (once again bad choice). Essentially we haven’t sold a player to a rival team that we were desperate to keep. I truly believe the club has learned from selling DeBruyne so will fight hard to keep CHO, least of which includes selling to United

roonster09

Scout
Such revisionist history...

We sold Mata because Mourinho deemed him surplus to requirements (he preferred Oscar which was ultimately a bad choice). When have Chelsea sold a player to United that the “club” wanted to sell? Even Matic who we sold to United was done with the clubs blessing (once again bad choice). Essentially we haven’t sold a player to a rival team that we were desperate to keep. I truly believe the club has learned from selling DeBruyne so will fight hard to keep CHO, least of which includes selling to United
So you are saying Selling club sells the player when they wants to? Is this the new thing that happens only at Chelsea or every transfer (without release clauses) works in the same way?

Every transfer works the same way. At the start of 2013 season, no on thought Chelsea would sell Mata to ManUtd. Every transfer happens only when selling club agree to sell the player.

Obviously I'm not saying CHO will sign for ManUtd as Bayern are interested, player wanted to move to Bayern so Chelsea have easy option. I'm saying with big IF, if we agree terms with CHO like Bayern agreed with Lewandowski.

Edit: Also funny you calling it revisionist and then coming up with Mata was surplus to requirement when he stared 11 out of 20 league games (before Jan when negotiations started) or 11 out of 22 league games before leaving Chelsea. That's not surplus to requirement. He wasn't Jose's favorite but he was starting every alternate game.

finneh

I agree that it won't happen but ultimately it would be up to the player and the bid United put forward.

If we offered £40m and the player said he wanted the move then of course Chelsea will let him go. Bear in mind if he goes to Bayern on a free the compensation is a pittance.

The likelihood is though he signs a new deal at Chelsea on a phenomenal salary, such is his current leverage.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I agree that it won't happen but ultimately it would be up to the player and the bid United put forward.

If we offered £40m and the player said he wanted the move then of course Chelsea will let him go. Bear in mind if he goes to Bayern on a free the compensation is a pittance.

The likelihood is though he signs a new deal at Chelsea on a phenomenal salary, such is his current leverage.
That's what I expect to happen. He signs a new contract at 100k or something.
I also think Chelsea won't sell to United. He's an academy kid, the backlash would be too high.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I also think Chelsea won't sell to United. He's an academy kid, the backlash would be too high.
You never know your luck. I think one of the biggest benefits for you signing up Ole is that he has made it very clear that youth is at the heart of his plans, I think you might find that he has considerable pulling power over young prospects, if he guarantees them game time. Far more than he might have over older more established players.

finneh

The fans would understand that £40m now is impossible to turn down if the other option were zero in 12 months.

They might make United pay a premium of £5-10m more than Bayern of course, but ultimately the player now holds all the cards.

Classical Mechanic

It all depends on Hazard I think. If he leaves then CHO will stay, if he stays then they could well cash in on him rather than lose him on a free the next season as they'd have Pedro, Willian, Hazard and Pulisic for their wide positions. I think Hazard wants out though so he'll probably stay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Based on what they've done so far with us, yeah i agree that Lukaku has done more than Alexis (not that Lukaku's been brilliant or anything becuase he's not been good enough either but Sanchez is far from what we expect of him and his Arsenal & Barcelona days) but is he good enough to be a part of our team in the long term really? I don't think so, really. He lost some value in the last couple of months and that's why i say "let's cut our losses" when his value is somewhat high and he has his suitors before it decreases even more.

Alexis is not in his best shape now but definitely has got in him to play at the highest level. Is he done or not is another question but he's a top class player. I don't think we can say the same for Lukaku. Plus, i think using Rashford, Alexis or Martial (creative players with great technique) as CF is more suited to the fluid game we want to play under Ole. Like Fellaini reminded Moyes to some here, Lukaku reminds the football Mourinho wanted to play for me. So, all in all maybe not a popular opinion but selling Lukaku ahead of Sanchez makes more sense to me.
Sanchez is cooked. Lukaku can still do a job depending on how we play. Ideally we’d replace both but not gonna happen this season

Judas

Open to offers
I am a bit bemused how he's suddenly ahead of Sancho in the pecking order of players we should sign for a few on here. Seems a bit premature and classically knee jerk.

deadrevelz

How much ambition do Chelsea have right now? I'm not feeling it. They will probably lose Hazard, Sarri may or may not be sacked. Transfer ban. Best youth player wants out. Owner may lose interest due to visa and FFP. They have some ageing and underperforming players too.

Weird situation for them. This would normally be a big summer for them but could be the start of a decline. Maybe their forgotten youth / loan players will return to save the day?

Anyway... we should sign CHO if we have the chance. Give them Sanchez in return (if they're not banned).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I am a bit bemused how he's suddenly ahead of Sancho in the pecking order of players we should sign for a few on here. Seems a bit premature and classically knee jerk.
Everybody knows you're only as good as your last match. Odoi played well and Sancho had an off day, so that's decided.

Pav1878

And all the kneejerk reaction to Sancho having a good season so far? How anyone can decide either of them or Declan rice for that matter are the answer to all our prayers is beyond me.

Declan rice especially, he's had two minutes of top level football and is all of the sudden the Messiah

Status
Not open for further replies.