Callum Hudson-Odoi

izec

Posters on here are obsessed with Bayern though, as if they have the perfect system in place.
Their squad is really poor at the minute but you couldn't tell on here with all of the creaming themselves over how efficiently they signed player x when they make a signing.
It is not about Bayern, the poster is downplaying the players ability based on never hearing from him before January.

crossy1686

career ending
If you never heard something from him before January, that is your thing. I am sure people have heard of him way before. I have seen the u17 WC, and he was pretty amazing.

What i wanted to say with Bayern is, they wouldnt bid so much for a rubbish player. You compared him to guys like Bellion or Obertan ffs.

We are not in for him because Chelsea wont sell him to us, quite simple. They are reluctant to sell him abroad, nevermind here. Same reason why Sancho didnt up here, although we had interest in him. You view on youth players is so simplistic.
Again, you watched him at an U17 competition. That's hardly the PL is it? Wasn't Solanke the leading goal scorer in that tournament for England? How many has he scored against decent opposition in the PL? In fact, he's that good, Liverpool sold him.

Bayern are in dire straits on the wings and aren't able to spend £100m on one player to rectify it, hence the reason they're shopping around for young players or tapping up players running their contracts down to fill the void. The players I mentioned played well enough for their respective clubs to earn a move to Manchester United, where they didn't make it. Do you think we would have brought them in if we thought they were shit?

My view is not simplistic, this isn't football manager, you don't buy youth players and play them every game until they come good. There are many factors in a player fulfilling their potential.

crossy1686

career ending
It is not about Bayern, the poster is downplaying the players ability based on never hearing from him before January.
I'm down playing his ability based on the the over hyping of him in here because Bayern made a bid. That and the math that Callum Hudson-Odoi + Bayern = Jadon Sancho.

izec

Again, you watched him at an U17 competition. That's hardly the PL is it? Wasn't Solanke the leading goal scorer in that tournament for England? How many has he scored against decent opposition in the PL? In fact, he's that good, Liverpool sold him.

Bayern are in dire straits on the wings and aren't able to spend £100m on one player to rectify it, hence the reason they're shopping around for young players or tapping up players running their contracts down to fill the void. The players I mentioned played well enough for their respective clubs to earn a move to Manchester United, where they didn't make it. Do you think we would have brought them in if we thought they were shit?

My view is not simplistic, this isn't football manager, you don't buy youth players and play them every game until they come good. There are many factors in a player fulfilling their potential.
You called it sensationalism. I dont see it. People are discussing the player and his future.

izec

I'm down playing his ability based on the the over hyping of him in here because Bayern made a bid. That and the math that Callum Hudson-Odoi + Bayern = Jadon Sancho.
Nope, it is about the player having huge potential and available on the cheap. Nobody is overhyping him. You havent watched him play and are surprised, because you normally hear about talented youngsters when they are 14 years old.

Nick7

So he's the next saviour of the game or he's being overhyped because he's available and Bayern made a bid? You didn't even know who he was before January so how good is he really?
What are you talking about? I have known CHO before January, same with Sancho prior to his move to Dortmund.

I think he's a really really good talent, Bellion, Obertan, Chadwick, and Miller were never as good as CHO and to think they were as exciting or as good is crazy. Possebon was hyped up for some bizarre reason, but he also was never good enough.

crossy1686

career ending
You called it sensationalism. I dont see it. People are discussing the player and his future.
Nope, it is about the player having huge potential and available on the cheap. Nobody is overhyping him. You havent watched him play and are surprised, because you normally hear about talented youngsters when they are 14 years old.
Here:

I hope we try to turn his head.

I would love to see us sign him, Sancho, Rice and Maguire.

I’d shit my pants with that.
It will bite them massively in the arse if Hazard leaves and he tears it up at Bayern, while they overpay for half as talented players like Pulisic. Chelsea 2019.
I'd go for him over Sancho. Why aren't ww in for him?
CHO has a little bit more talent imo.(than Sancho)
Extremism.

Nonsense. Don't be upset because someone challenged your unwavering belief that he's the next Messi. We'll have this conversation again in 5 years time and I'll gladly eat my hat if he's even discussed as a player in the upper echelons of football.

cyberman

I see him using caution though. Where was this thread before January? It's not like he has had sensational appearance after sensational appearance to validate the hype.
It really does look like its based off of Bayerns interest with Sanchos name being linked to build him up.

izec

Here:

Extremism.

Nonsense. Don't be upset because someone challenged your unwavering belief that he's the next Messi. We'll have this conversation again in 5 years time and I'll gladly eat my hat if he's even discussed as a player in the upper echelons of football.
Extremism :lol: Where? People wanting to buy him? Him being as talented as Sancho? They way you talk, you would think people are calling him R9 regen or the next Mbappe.

I see him using caution though. Where was this thread before January? It's not like he has had sensational appearance after sensational appearance to validate the hype.
It really does look like its based off of Bayerns interest with Sanchos name being linked to build him up.
Because Chelsea werent playing him? Why should people talk about him when he doesnt get game time? Of course once Bayern gets linked and his name is out there, people start talking. Nobody thought he was available, now we know he is and he plays well for them. Especially since they bought someone for 60m, while they have a kid who is talented and impressive but only start playing him when he wants to move.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Think he is very talented, would be more than worth the risk at 40 - 50m. Young and English, will set our RW up for years if hes a success.

Touch, close control, speed all on show below.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's so much more exciting than Pedro or Willian right now. Should be in ahead of both, they'll seriously regret letting him go.

cyberman

Extremism :lol: Where? People wanting to buy him? Him being as talented as Sancho? They way you talk, you would think people are calling him R9 regen or the next Mbappe.

Because Chelsea werent playing him? Why should people talk about him when he doesnt get game time? Of course once Bayern gets linked and his name is out there, people start talking. Nobody thought he was available, now we know he is and he plays well for them. Especially since they bought someone for 60m, while they have a kid who is talented and impressive but only start playing him when he wants to move.
He's rarely played since January! And if we're being honest, his performances wouldn't have warranted his own thread on here if it wasn't for Bayerns interest.

izec

He's rarely played since January! And if we're being honest, his performances wouldn't have warranted his own thread on here if it wasn't for Bayerns interest.
He would have gotten his own thread by now. The reason why he isnt playing isnt because he isnt good enough, there are other reasons for that and everyone knows them (Chelsea youth policy, contract renewal and Sarri). As always, watch him play and make your own judgement.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I agree to a point with Crossy. He's done very little so far in senior football to be compared to Sancho or even Pulisic. He might have terrific potential but so far Sancho and heck even Sessegnon are ahead of him. Plenty of players with immense potential have not lived up to their potential. Bit puzzling why people would prefer to go for him over Sancho for example, the latter having one of the best records in Europe this Season. It's comparing Oranges to Apples right now.

cyberman

He would have gotten his own thread by now. The reason why he isnt playing isnt because he isnt good enough, there are other reasons for that and everyone knows them (Chelsea youth policy, contract renewal and Sarri). As always, watch him play and make your own judgement.
I can't agree. This thread is already bigger than Fodens for example.

izec

I agree to a point with Crossy. He's done very little so far in senior football to be compared to Sancho or even Pulisic. He might have terrific potential but so far Sancho and heck even Sessegnon are ahead of him. Plenty of players with immense potential have not lived up to their potential. Bit puzzling why people would prefer to go for him over Sancho for example, the latter having one of the best records in Europe this Season. It's comparing Oranges to Apples right now.
He is way cheaper than Sancho and on the move. 2 good reasons.

One breakthrough season at Bayern and his price will skyrocket, but Bayern wont sell anyway. People are also not comparing the current performances, but rather the potential and similar situation as Sancho before his move. Of course him being a talented British player going to the Bundesliga makes it funny, because the comparisons will explode once he goes there. I also disagree with Sessegnon, i would take Odoi on the wing over him any day of the week.

I can't agree. This thread is already bigger than Fodens for example.

If Foden would be on the verge of leaving City, his thread would explode too. But Odoi would have gotten his thread regardless of Bayern, but logically people will talk more about a talented player wanting to leave than one sitting on the bench for City and that signed a long term contract. I dont have to explain that.

cyberman

One breakthrough season at Bayern and his price will skyrocket, but Bayern wont sell anyway. People are also not comparing the current performances, but rather the potential and similar situation as Sancho before his move. Of course him being a talented British player going to the Bundesliga makes it funny, because the comparisons will explode once he goes there. I also disagree with Sessegnon, i would take Odoi on the wing over him any day of the week.

If Foden would be on the verge of leaving City, his thread would explode too. But Odoi would have gotten his thread regardless of Bayern, but logically people will talk more about a talented player wanting to leave than one sitting on the bench for City and that signed a long term contract. I dont have to explain that.
But Foden isn't being compared to Sancho etc and that thread was made before he signed the contract and he was being linked with a move away (and looked like he would for a while)
Very little of this thread is based off of performances. Lets be real here. If it was a smaller club than Bayern being linked this thread wouldn't have half the pages it has now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

You're talking up about his potential again but completely missed our points. You have no guarantees that he will become anywhere near as good as Sancho, nor even Sessegnon for that matter. If you look at what he's done this season so far it's not exactly endorsing his talent either. He played against Watford for 42min and didn't do anything, played against Spurs for 79mins and didn't do anything. All of his good performances have come against weak opposition. At least with Ryan Sessegnon you know what you're getting. He's already played something crazy like 7,000 minutes of senior football and Sancho is destroying the Bundesliga right now.

He might become an exceptional player, but so far imo he's not worth the gamble especially as we have our own gamble in Greenwood waiting. Sancho on the other hand has demonstrated his potential against quality teams for a sustained period of time. Just my opinion, but I do agree with Crossy that people seem to be overrating his ability right now based on feck all.

Classical Mechanic

I've followed his progress for a number of years and think his potential is as good as Sancho's. I can't see a flaw in his game as an inside forward/winger. I was saying this since he replaced Gomes at the u17 Euros a couple of years ago, he played as a 10 in that tournament and showed great ability in that position too.

I think his senior appearances have been very encouraging, especially in his 90 minute games He has played 5 games and has 3 goals and 3 assists, he's been Chelsea's best player in at least 2 of those games. Two of the assists were great crosses against Forest and he shows the ability to dribble players, pass creatively, finish and leave players in the dust with pace.

OK, this has been against lower level opposition but he has been playing mostly on the right which a weaker position for him than on the left.

If he keeps his head screwed on, he is supposed to be a very professional and nice lad, I think he's a good a bet as any to make a real mark on the game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/350088/Show/Callum-Hudson-Odoi

cyberman

Yes he has and does. All the time.
Where? His thread isn't even the Foden thread, it's a City is crap at promoting youth thread. Very little is said of his actual potential etc.
If anything it's full of City fans defending the fact he isn't ready for constant first team football. Not very Sancho like if you ask me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've followed his progress for a number of years and think his potential is as good as Sancho's. I can't see a flaw in his game as an inside forward/winger. I was saying this since he replaced Gomes at the u17 Euros a couple of years ago, he played as a 10 in that tournament and showed great ability in that position too.

I think his senior appearances have been very encouraging, especially in his 90 minute games He has played 5 games and has 3 goals and 3 assists, he's been Chelsea's best player in at least 2 of those games. Two of the assists were great crosses against Forest and he shows the ability to dribble players, pass creatively, finish and leave players in the dust with pace.

OK, this has been against lower level opposition but he has been playing mostly on the right which a weaker position for him than on the left.

If he keeps his head screwed on, he is supposed to be a very professional and nice lad, I think he's a good a bet as any to make a real mark on the game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/350088/Show/Callum-Hudson-Odoi
Lower level opposition which are:

- PAOK Thessaloniki (Greece - Currently 1st, 9 points clear of Olympiacos)
- Vidi FC (Hungary - Currently 2nd, 6 points behind Ferencvaros)
- Nottingham Forest (8th in Championship)
- Sheffield Wednesday (15th in Championship)
- Malmoe FF (Sweden - Finished 3rd last season)

Of those clubs, I would say PAOK and Nottingham Forest are some what average sides. The others, I will admit I had never even heard of Vidi FC nor Ferencvaros who currently top the Hungarian league. It's not exactly stellar opposition that he's done alright against. It's why people need to slow down a little bit.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Where? His thread isn't even the Foden thread, it's a City is crap at promoting youth thread. Very little is said of his actual potential etc.
If anything it's full of City fans defending the fact he isn't ready for constant first team football. Not very Sancho like if you ask me.
What are you on about? He has 2 threads even. Go read them. His talent is compared to Sancho and plenty of other young talents and former players. He is also continuously compared to Sancho and said he should leave City to go abroad. How is that not being compared to Sancho?

cyberman

What are you on about? He has 2 threads even. Go read them. His talent is compared to Sancho and plenty of other young talents and former players. He is also continuously compared to Sancho and said he should leave City to go abroad. How is that not being compared to Sancho?
Be nice if you could show some of these continuous examples? Best I can find is comparing their situation at City rather than talent level.
This thread has about 100 of these examples on its own by the way. let's compare.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been injured for more than a year now and won't be back this season. It's anyone's guess if he'll make it after that.
Do you know what the injury was? I saw he'd been out for ages, fingers crossed for a solid recovery.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
England have a shit tonne of quality prospects coming through.

I think it should be our policy that we gobble up as many as possible of them.

Sancho, CH-O, Rice would be a good place to start.

Classical Mechanic

Lower level opposition which are:

- PAOK Thessaloniki (Greece - Currently 1st, 9 points clear of Olympiacos)
- Vidi FC (Hungary - Currently 2nd, 6 points behind Ferencvaros)
- Nottingham Forest (8th in Championship)
- Sheffield Wednesday (15th in Championship)
- Malmoe FF (Sweden - Finished 3rd last season)

Of those clubs, I would say PAOK and Nottingham Forest are some what average sides. The others, I will admit I had never even heard of Vidi FC nor Ferencvaros who currently top the Hungarian league. It's not exactly stellar opposition that he's done alright against. It's why people need to slow down a little bit.

His teammates were playing against the same sides and he was one of their best players in all those games. He was also outstanding in pre-season for Chelsea against top level sides (I know they're friendlies).

Looking back at his incredible performance in the u17 World Cup final and I think we have already seen him transfer the same qualities into senior football. One of the things that most impresses me about him (for a winger) is his passing, he has really good creative passing and passing range.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

I'm not picking sides in this debate, but thought I'd add some context to some of the players.

The best goal scorers at youth level in the last decade are most likely (could be 1 other name added to this):
Solanke - 17 years old scored 41 goals in a season
Tammy Abraham - 17 years old scored 40 goals in a season
Greenwood - 16-17 years old and scored 40 goals or so in same amount of matches (separated by seasons)
Moussa Dembele - 16-17 years old 31 goals in 26 apps
Rossi - 18 years old scored about 30 goals (1 to 1 ration) at u23 level

The only one who has failed thus far is Solanke and Greenwood has yet to play first team football. Other goal scorers like Wilson, Keane, and others had great goal scoring records, but not as good as those above.

Also don't think it's a good idea for anyone to form opinions based on a tournament. Brewster for example was the golden boot in the u17 world cup, but his goal scoring record in the English youth system isn't close to the above players listed.

As for Hudson Odoi, he's an obvious talent who has been playing above his age level in comparison to our kids. However, that's dependent on the club and we're slightly slower than the other sides when it comes to promotion. Hudson Odoi has been a standout talent and dominating the youth ranks.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The guy has played about 18 minutes of PL football and a couple of games against far inferior opposition. I can remember a handful of times Chadwick, Obertan, Bellion, the late Liam Miller and Possebon all looked like they'd take over the world.

There's a fair old amount of sensationalism going on in here.
If you are going play this game at least compare him to guys like Januzaj, Morrison and Rossi who were actually highly rated at some point.

Classical Mechanic

If you are going play this game at least compare him to guys like Januzaj, Morrison and Rossi who were actually highly rated at some point.
And even none of those players came close to matching his achievements as a youth player. I guess Bojan would be a more apt example as someone who flopped from very lofty heights as a youth player.

Classical Mechanic

Another decent cameo (only 12mins) and goal yesterday.

Baffling that Sarri doesn't see fit to start him against such opposition when he's complaining about tiredness in the squad

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi are a pretty decent double-barrelled double act.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
England could actually field a decent young team with all double-barrelled names.

1. Peacock-Farrell
2. Alexander-Arnold
3. Walker-Peters
4. Borthwick-Jackson (yeah, ok)
5. Carter-Vickers
6. Ward-Prowse
7. Oxlade-Chamberlain
8. Loftus-Cheek
9. Calvert-Lewin
10. Maitland-Niles
11. Hudson-Odoi

Classical Mechanic

England could actually field a decent young team with all double-barrelled names.

1. Peacock-Farrell
2. Alexander-Arnold
3. Walker-Peters
5. Carter-Vickers
6. Ward-Prowse
7. Oxlade-Chamberlain
8. Loftus-Cheek
9. Calvert-Lewin
10. Maitland-Niles
11. Hudson-Odoi
Carter-Vickers is declared for the USA but worry not, Clarke-Salter can take his place.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I Think Sarri's handling post the January transfer window has more or less ensured that CHO will not be staying there for next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

1. Peacock-Farrell
2. Alexander-Arnold
3. Walker-Peters
5. Carter-Vickers
6. Ward-Prowse
7. Oxlade-Chamberlain
8. Loftus-Cheek
9. Calvert-Lewin
10. Maitland-Niles
11. Hudson-Odoi
Is that a list of law firms?