Callum Hudson-Odoi

passing-wind

Feel so sorry for him, worse injury to pick up no one is going to pay the going rate for him this summer. He'll either run down his contract or sign an extension, can't see any other alternative.

dbs235

Yeah usually one of the worst injuries to get in football. Usually takes about 9 months to start playing football again so likely he'll be out until 2020
Ouch... I had in my head that he'd be back for the start of next season. Huge shame for him because next season is a really crucial one for him, especially if Hazard leaves and Chelsea's transfer ban remains enforced.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As soon as it happened I said to the missus it looked like his achilles. Can't believe the dumb fecks let him walk around the pitch to get off.

haram

Well if he cant play next season he might as well run his contract down.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

It's not as bad as an ACL injury but It's the next worst thing.

Hope the kid actually doesn't lose anything from it, how long he is out doesn't matter much as long as he can make a complete recovery and not have his pace/fitness hindered.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I ruptured my right Achilles in 2006 and my left in 2008. It was a long recovery and I was never the same. I lost flexibility in my ankle which made me lose my pace and my power in my shot. Weird thing about Odoi is that this is usually an injury for people in their mid to late 30's. I was 32 and 34 when it happened to me. Very strange for it to happen to someone so young. Hopefully he can recover quicker than I did. Mind you, I'm sure he will have a whole team of therapists trying to get him back into game shape...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Hope the kid actually doesn't lose anything from it, how long he is out doesn't matter much as long as he can make a complete recovery and not have his pace/fitness hindered.
I don't know about that. I've ruptured both Achilles tendons and it sucked. My first Achilles rupture had me on crutches for 9 months and a cane for 3. It was the longest rehab I have ever had. The second one I was walking within 6 months. Now I go for knee sergury in about a month but it's just a scope for a torn maniscus so I should be back this season...

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I don't know about that. I've ruptured both Achilles tendons and it sucked. My first Achilles rupture had me on crutches for 9 months and a cane for 3. It was the longest rehab I have ever had. The second one I was walking within 6 months. Now I go for knee sergury in about a month but it's just a scope for a torn maniscus so I should be back this season...
Thanks for the insight I hope you get better and make a full recovery!
I said this because RvN is literally the only player I can think of who got better after an ACL injury, usually players can't ever go back to their previous self after it

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Thanks for the insight I hope you get better and make a full recovery!
I said this because RvN is literally the only player I can think of who got better after an ACL injury, usually players can't ever go back to their previous self after it
Shearer did his ACL at 21. It's a bad injury but not necessarily the career ender it's often thought to be.

starman

Sucks for him and now in a precarious situation if he is going to be out for half of next season, if not more with his contract running down.
Something like this could force him into signing the contract on the table. He needs to ensure he is set for the future and a injury like this there is no guarantee you will recover fully and be the same player

R'hllor

Its a gambling game now, clubs can take a risk and act like a "friend", if not and if Chelsea play their cards right, he can sign a new contract.

Either way, feel sorry for a kid, it sucks.

Lord Vader

Orthopedists have ACL repair down to a science, but treatment for ruptured achilles heels' is a different matter. Agreed with the earlier comment about the stupidity of letting CHO walk to the sideline. Chelsea F.C. has billions propping it up, but its got nimrods for trainers. For once, the stretcher was actually warranted.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I ruptured my right Achilles in 2006 and my left in 2008. It was a long recovery and I was never the same. I lost flexibility in my ankle which made me lose my pace and my power in my shot. Weird thing about Odoi is that this is usually an injury for people in their mid to late 30's. I was 32 and 34 when it happened to me. Very strange for it to happen to someone so young. Hopefully he can recover quicker than I did. Mind you, I'm sure he will have a whole team of therapists trying to get him back into game shape...
That was my first thought too. He’s crazy young to get such an injury. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a footballer get that injury in his late twenties, never mind late teens. He’ll heal up quicker than an old cnut like you (or me!) but you’d have to worry about some kind of underlying connective tissue disorder. Which would obviously be a huge problem for a professional footballer.

From what I've read on it an ACL rupture makes more of a mess but is easier to fix. An achilles tear is harder to repair and most people will never fully recover to the level they were pre injury.

Can't believe they made him walk on it.

Cloud7

Poor guy. You do wonder, as a pacy, agile player if he’ll ever be 100% back to what he was pre injury.

the_irish123

No offense but reading sunday athletes talking about how they lost their explosiveness is just hilarious

haram

Equally if there is no guarantee of coming back and there is a 5 year 100k a week contract on the table from Chelsea I'd be hobbling over to sign and get my £25 million
I think if Chelsea offer him 100k, someone else will do the same.

Classical Mechanic

Equally if there is no guarantee of coming back and there is a 5 year 100k a week contract on the table from Chelsea I'd be hobbling over to sign and get my £25 million
If what people are saying about the severity of the injury then he should sign that Chelsea deal. Although if they’re offering it to him then surely they’ve had some reassuring prognosis from the medical staff.

FujiVice

Even saying the words "ruptured achilles" makes mine feel funny. What a horrible injury.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Kids, this is why you sign a contract extension as soon as its is offered.
Contract is still on the table I think, despite injury. Decent chance he'll actually sign it now I think?

Feel bad for the lad, he's 18 though so that should help his recovery, hopefully back by Christmas at the latest.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
fecking hell! Building a nice back catalogue of injuries there

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
fecking hell! Building a nice back catalogue of injuries there
I have been playing football since I was 4 years old. I turn 45 this year and I'm still playing. I am what you would call "injury prone". Usually it's my hamstring or hip flexor. But I have snapped both Achilles tendons and done both knees. Amazing thing is, I have never had an injury from contact (knock on wood) other than the odd bump or bruise. All of my injuries have come when nobody is around me...:lol::lol::lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That was my first thought too. He’s crazy young to get such an injury. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a footballer get that injury in his late twenties, never mind late teens. He’ll heal up quicker than an old cnut like you (or me!) but you’d have to worry about some kind of underlying connective tissue disorder. Which would obviously be a huge problem for a professional footballer.
At 32 they told me that I had a 1 in 3 chance of snapping the other within 2 years. Actually, that's a lie. What really happened was when I snapped my second one the doctor told me I had a 1 in 3 chance of doing the other within 2 years and when I told him I did the other one 2 years ago he laughed at me and said "ok, you're good then".:lol::lol::lol: I wonder what the odds are for someone so young???

SAFMUTD

As bad as it sounds, cause no one wishes an injury on a player, but I can see Chelsea actually happy with the injury. They just had their chances to keep him increased immensely.

haram

Probably not whilst he is injured... And certainly not without Chelsea's permission while he is injured... Bird in the hand etc
If Chelsea are offering him 100k then I’m sure other clubs will think it’s worth the risk. If his contact expires it’s not like Chelsea cannot still offer him a contract either.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I have been playing football since I was 4 years old. I turn 45 this year and I'm still playing. I am what you would call "injury prone". Usually it's my hamstring or hip flexor. But I have snapped both Achilles tendons and done both knees. Amazing thing is, I have never had an injury from contact (knock on wood) other than the odd bump or bruise. All of my injuries have come when nobody is around me...:lol::lol::lol:
I admire your staying power. Hope you can still walk in old age :nervous:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Weirdly enough I can see it being good news for Chelsea as I doubt that Bayern will go for him now. If he recovers well, granted, it’s especially hard to get a serious injury at your breakthrough season.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
In fairness they probably had no idea what the injury was until they got him back to the fitness room. It's not like you expect a teenager to fall over out of nowhere and have ruptured his achilles.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It was pretty obvious By the way he was walking that it was very serious.
I don't know anything about medical stuff to be fair, but I do know our medical team have an outstanding reputation and a great background of bringing players back quickly. I'd just be surprised if they missed something obvious and risked damaging a player like that.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know anything about medical stuff to be fair, but I do know our medical team have an outstanding reputation and a great background of bringing players back quickly. I'd just be surprised if they missed something obvious and risked damaging a player like that.
Fair enough. It’s an internal matter anyway if he’s been mishandled.