Callum Hudson-Odoi

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I get the argument he was about to leave for free to Bayern so give the kid what he wants to stay, but £120k when he's yet to do anything in the PL and is injured seems a bit crazy. Specially when there's talk of Greenwood getting a bumper deal worth £25k p/w and he's done just as much as Hudson has. Kids getting too much too soon imo (yes, showing my middle age)
Hudson-Odoi made 24 appearances for Chelsea plus 2 England appearances - 1167 minutes overall plus 110 minutes for England.
Mason Greenwood 4 appearances for United - 118 minutes overall.

Both made their pro debuts last season, but you can't tell me Greenwood, as talented as he is, has done just as much as Hudson-Odoi. This is all before we get to the fact that Bayern Munich placed 4 huge bids for Hudson-Odoi, the last one exceeding £40m.

Last edited:

We need an rvn

Hudson-Odoi made 24 appearances for Chelsea plus 2 England appearances - 1617 minutes overall plus 110 minutes for England.

Both made their pro debuts last season, but you can't tell me Greenwood, as talented as he is, has done just as much as Hudson-Odoi. This is all before we get to the fact that Bayern Munich placed 4 huge bids for Hudson-Odoi, the last one exceeding £40m.
How many prem goals has CHO scored again ;)

You're right though, CHO has done more than Mason has so far in their career, but I just think it's a hell of a lot for someone who hasn't actually proved anything or done anything yet. But flip side is perhaps that's what Bayern were willing to offer him so Chelsea couldn't have offered any lower.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

You're right though, CHO has done more than Mason has so far in their career, but I just think it's a hell of a lot for someone who hasn't actually proved anything or done anything yet. But flip side is perhaps that's what Bayern were willing to offer him so Chelsea couldn't have offered any lower.
It's low risk for Chelsea, over the course of his contract someone said it adds upto 30m?

If they bought someone else in it would easily cost more than that.

If we were in the same position with Mason I would want United to do the same thing. You have to make these sorts of gambles sometimes.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I get the argument he was about to leave for free to Bayern so give the kid what he wants to stay, but £120k when he's yet to do anything in the PL and is injured seems a bit crazy. Specially when there's talk of Greenwood getting a bumper deal worth £25k p/w and he's done just as much as Hudson has. Kids getting too much too soon imo (yes, showing my middle age)
Not 100% sure but I think Greenwood’s current deal was signed in October 2018 and ends in June 2020 ( players under the age of 18 can not sign more than 2 year deals and all contracts end at the end of June)

To a degree Utd are playing a very risky game in that whilst to you and me a £25k a week contract is vast money in today’s football it really isn’t.

I understand the reasoning behind not offering mega money but just like CHO scouts elsewhere will be looking at him and drooling over his undoubted talent and indeed potential. Unfortunately even though he is under contract just like Bayern did with CHO and indeed Juventus with Pogba they will be trying to prise Greenwood away and a offer of £25 k a week is unlikely to guarantee he will sign a new deal at Utd

We need an rvn

It's low risk for Chelsea, over the course of his contract someone said it adds upto 30m?

If we were in the same position with Mason I would want United to do the same thing. You have to make these sorts of gambles sometimes.
I agree it would have cost Chelsea more to replace him, much more given his potential.

Perhaps my issue is more than young players are given £120k contracts without even having scored a PL goal and things like that.

spiriticon

Good decision for him. Lampard will definitely give him the chances he wants.

Red_toad

Could well back fire. Glad we didn’t give Adnan a bumper pay deal off the back of half a good season. Money in football is just obscene.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

It's a lot, but he had the leverage. Bayern Munich's persistent interest, bidding £40m, his contract running out after this season, and the transfer request last season as well as the fact that he's supremely talented. For example, I don't think any of the other young players at Chelsea will get/have gotten a contract like that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sometimes I wonder if most of you do watch youth football or at least read some quality insights. There are no youth players at the moment in the English academies like Hudson Odoi and Jadon Sancho no matter how much you like to overhype others. Remember a few years back all the talk on Andreas Pereira, it seemed to me this forum was the only place people would rate him, because outside of it nobody would and it turned out to be true that he is just an average one. The way United fans overhyped him you would think he is the next Neymar, when the truth was that a few years ago he could not even play as a regular for Brazil at the U20 WC.

Now there is Chong, Gomes, Greenwood etc. Go back some pages in the Chong thread and you'd think football is yet to see a footballer of such quality. Roll over time and today he is nothing more than Lukaku with big hair on the wing.

Hudson Odoi deserves that money because he is a superstar in the making and the best young player in English football. Sancho is ahead of him in development and nothing more.
I'm not sure how good Odoi is although I didn't think he was a worldie of a talent (which Sancho clearly is) based on the little I have seen. But I don't think I've heard anyone going to such lengths to hype Odoi up before. Nobody like him in English football. Best young player in English football. Are you sure you're not a scout? Or a fan that's a bit too invested in his own youth player? Or have you watched every supposed wonderkid weekly and come to this conclusion?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sometimes I wonder if most of you do watch youth football or at least read some quality insights. There are no youth players at the moment in the English academies like Hudson Odoi and Jadon Sancho no matter how much you like to overhype others. Remember a few years back all the talk on Andreas Pereira, it seemed to me this forum was the only place people would rate him, because outside of it nobody would and it turned out to be true that he is just an average one. The way United fans overhyped him you would think he is the next Neymar, when the truth was that a few years ago he could not even play as a regular for Brazil at the U20 WC.

Now there is Chong, Gomes, Greenwood etc. Go back some pages in the Chong thread and you'd think football is yet to see a footballer of such quality. Roll over time and today he is nothing more than Lukaku with big hair on the wing.

Hudson Odoi deserves that money because he is a superstar in the making and the best young player in English football. Sancho is ahead of him in development and nothing more.
Yeah it's only ManUtd fans who hype their youngsters. On the other hand Chelsea fans are very much realistic with the expectations and how they rate the young players.

Talking of which, where is the next Pirlo - Josh McEachran playing now? He was supposed to be the best English midfielder.

Kakuta, Bamford, Charly Musonda, Nathaniel Chalobah and few more players for sure made it as superb players. You can add Solanke to the list.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Could well back fire. Glad we didn’t give Adnan a bumper pay deal off the back of half a good season. Money in football is just obscene.
You did give Adnan a long and big (relative to the time) contract after half a good season, didn't you?

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm in your post.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think we did give him a good contract at the time.

Like I said it's a gamble, so can backfire, but it's worth taking.

Red_toad

You did give Adnan a long and big (relative to the time) contract after half a good season, didn't you?

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm in your post.
About a third of the wages and he’d actually done a lot more to earn it...

passing-wind

Hudson Odoi had a solid world cup U17, was one of the standout players. Then started pre season really well to follow, I seem to recall Bellerin getting continually roasted on the flanks as one of the highlights. Didn't get enough game time from what I understand under Sarri until the the whole Bayern pressure became public knowledge. He's a quality prospect, obviously not worth 100k a week but who is nowadays ? We've got Rash Bandicoot on almost 200k with all these silly bonuses. Not one of us have the right to criticize wages :lol: maybe until a Neymar esque situation starts happening with contractual negotiations.

It's a shame really because he would have been a really good fit for us on the right. I don't think there was any genuine interest on our behalfs mostly media hype, Solskjaer seems intent on Sancho and even that is presently a pipe dream.

duffer

Scout
Debatable whether or not he did "a lot" more, he signed his contract in the October of his first season so I doubt he had even played 10 games at that point.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24593561

CHO played loads more games, scored more goals and made his full international debut before signing his.

And the market has exploded in recent years so silly to directly compare the reported wages...

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So what Callum should have done is hit a brace at the Stadium of Light and got the most undeserved and bizzare SPOTY nomination in history off the back of it?

Red_toad

Debatable whether or not he did "a lot" more, he signed his contract in the October of his first season so I doubt he had even played 10 games at that point.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24593561

CHO played loads more games, scored more goals and made his full international debut before signing his.

And the market has exploded in recent years so silly to directly compare the reported wages...
Sat on zero goals for Chelsea, but whatever...

Suedesi

You seem to think very highly of him - fair do's I haven't seen much of him, but obviously if there's a tug of war between Chelsea and Bayern he must be good.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
You don't seem to know what you are talking about. Hudson-Odoi scored 5 goals in 20-odd appearances for Chelsea last season.
I guess he is talking about league goals?

Either way, it's clear he has the potential to be a quality player, assuming he fully recovers from this injury.

Suedesi

To anyone questioning his worth, a well-established club was offering 30-40 million pounds for him so that's his worth. And also this is a no brainer from Chelsea - once they refused Bayern's 30-40 million offers, they had to give a bumper deal to the player. I don't know what else is there to discuss, good luck to the player (not against us obviously).

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Probably he/she just checked Wikipedia where they alway only give league goals at the top. I've done it myself in the past!

Lazy!
When do you expect him to start featuring for you guys again in the first team anyway?

Expecting him to have a big impact on your season? Or is it a season too early for him?

Red_toad

Probably he/she just checked Wikipedia where they alway only give league goals at the top. I've done it myself in the past!

Lazy!
Yep I was lazy, only interested in the obscene money he’s been offered. Couldn’t give a crap about the player nor the club he plays for. Good on ya for being a top blue and knowing about your players.

duffer

Scout
When do you expect him to start featuring for you guys again in the first team anyway?

Expecting him to have a big impact on your season? Or is it a season too early for him?
He played 60 minutes for the u23s last week. I doubt he'll be risked against Liverpool but I reckon he'll come off of the bench in our game after that.

As for the season, I think he'll finish up on a slightly higher number of appearances than last season.

finneh

Decent decision by the club, strange one by the player. If we believe what's been written he felt he wouldn't get a chance at Chelsea and wanted to take the Sancho route elsewhere; with Lampard changing his mind after integrating the likes of Mount and Abraham.

However a 5 year deal with a club that averages a new manager ever 12 months over the past 15 years is a strange one when 14 of those managers had almost no interest in integrating young players given the owners demand for instant success.

Given that it's more likely he signed due to the money on offer which could be a concern.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Decent decision by the club, strange one by the player. If we believe what's been written he felt he wouldn't get a chance at Chelsea and wanted to take the Sancho route elsewhere; with Lampard changing his mind after integrating the likes of Mount and Abraham.

However a 5 year deal with a club that averages a new manager ever 12 months over the past 15 years is a strange one when 14 of those managers had almost no interest in integrating young players given the owners demand for instant success.

Given that it's more likely he signed due to the money on offer which could be a concern.
Come the end of the year those boys will be established in the squad which will mean they'll be "safe" for any manager to use. Case in point, Jose went to United and carried on playing Rashford after LVG done the "brave" bit.

Even if Lampard epically flops he will still have set in motion our next generation so in a way his appointment is justified already.

finneh

Come the end of the year those boys will be established in the squad which will mean they'll be "safe" for any manager to use. Case in point, Jose went to United and carried on playing Rashford after LVG done the "brave" bit.

Even if Lampard epically flops he will still have set in motion our next generation so in a way his appointment is justified already.
I'm not so sure... Jose dropped Rashford regularly for Lukaku and if he'd have been allowed to sign Perisic it's very likely Rashford would very rarely have featured.

The likelihood is next summer Chelsea's manager has two seasons budget plus the Hazard/Morata money and that £250m is likely to cost Abraham, Mount and Odoi their places; unless they perform to an abnormally high level.

duffer

Scout
The likelihood is next summer Chelsea's manager has two seasons budget plus the Hazard money and that £200+m could easily cost Abraham, Mount and Odoi their places.
If they turn out to be shit then fair enough. If they look the real deal then why would Lampard (or any manager) replace them?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If they turn out to be shit then fair enough. If they look the real deal then why would Lampard (or any manager) replace them?
Because Chelsea don't bring through youth players, obviously.

finneh

"Any manager" is likely to replace them for the same reason Jose brought in Lukaku to replace Rashford. Youngsters are inconsistent and don't guarantee the goals/performances that experienced pros do (even if they have more talent). If you're a manager who's judged on a 12 month period there is literally no incentive to gamble on youth.
Because Chelsea don't bring through youth players, obviously.
Salah and Kevin de Bruyne were the real deal... Why did they not succeed in your land of black and white?

finneh

Neither of those were youth players.
Clearly the point still remains though? Younger players who absolutely had the talent but because it would take them a few seasons to produce consistently were not given a chance by their manager due to the owners short term nature.

RooneyLegend

Crazy talk, Gomes is a huge talent and Greenwood could also be something special. I wouldnt swap either for Odoi especially Gomes. We've seen nothing that suggests he isnt just another promising youngster. You make it sound like he's shown he can produce at the highest level.

duffer

Scout
Clearly the point still remains though? Younger players who absolutely had the talent but because it would take them a few seasons to produce consistently were not given a chance by their manager due to the owners short term nature.
Both were multi-million pound signings and full internationals who were in their 20s. The manager certainly fecked up by letting them go but its not the same as us not giving kids a chance.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not so sure... Jose dropped Rashford regularly for Lukaku and if he'd have been allowed to sign Perisic it's very likely Rashford would very rarely have featured.
Jose still used Rashford as an important player in the squad, if he didn't start he was still often brought on.

The likelihood is next summer Chelsea's manager has two seasons budget plus the Hazard/Morata money and that £250m is likely to cost Abraham, Mount and Odoi their places; unless they perform to an abnormally high level.
Mount's position won't have anyone signed in, we have him, Loftus and Barkley and there's a lot more urgent needs.

We may sign a winger but Pedro and Willian are likely offski so we will have Odoi, Pulisic and new winger fighting for two places which will mean the likelihood of him falling into the loan abyss is pretty remote.

Abraham will have to have an outstanding season for us to abandon pursuit of a forward, but worst case scenario with him he's number two next season.

Reece James, same with Mount, RB won't be on an urgent list for the market.

The only one who's in any remote danger of being sold is Tomori and if his early performances are anything to go by, he will more likely be a mainstay than fall to that fate.

Classical Mechanic

Hudson-Odoi made 24 appearances for Chelsea plus 2 England appearances - 1167 minutes overall plus 110 minutes for England.

I think most England youth watchers would have CHO and Greenwood in the tier 1 talent bracket for players coming through. They both have outstanding attributes in their positions. The U17s World Cup winners have got more exposure because of that tournament but there are a number of players coming through that are lesser known that are in that talent bracket too, in my opinion.

England U17s of Greenwood’s era made the semi final of the U17s Euros but we’re missing two of their best players in Greenwood and Jones. If they had those players I think they would have won the tournament.