Callum Whelan

jb8521

Whelan is 1 of those players who you generally won't really notice unless you're actually looking out for him but when you do watch him play you realise what a good player he is. Very tidy and never stops running and does a lot of the dirty work to facilitate other players. Plus he looks like Messi which can only be a good thing

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Callum Whelan is targeting a successful season with Manchester United Under-23s after being a midfield mainstay for Kieran McKenna's Under-18s last season.

The Barnsley-born 19-year-old, who barely missed any Academy games in the 2016/17 campaign, feels he has grown up at the club after being coached by the Reds since the age of nine.

"I played a lot last season," he told ManUtd.com. "It was tiring at times but good, obviously, as that's all a player wants really - to stay injury free, play as many minutes as possible and improve. That’s how you develop."

Whelan considers himself to be a calm team player but he was dramatically thrust into the spotlight earlier this year when he became an emergency goalkeeper and made the crucial save in a shoot-out as United won a five-a-side tournament in Germany on penalties.

"I've been here quite a while now but the highlight has probably been the five-a-side tournament we won in Germany last season," he said.

"I ended up playing in net and I made a few saves, but I also let in about 10 goals! It was just one of those situations, Angel [Gomes] had a go as well, and then I ended up there.

"I don’t know why they picked me, it was my first time [as a goalkeeper] and hopefully it will never happen again! But it turned out well because we won. Even though it's about gaining experience at our age, we always want to win everything we go into."

That winning mentality is important at United and the fact the team returned home with the silverware, despite difficult circumstances, will be of huge benefit.

"Definitely, because we’re at a club where there’s a great history of winning trophies," he agreed. "United want to win every competition they enter. I think if you get that mentality at a young age then eventually, if you do get into the first team, you already have that in you and you know what the club’s about.

"I’ve been here 10 or 11 years now, so it’s all I know. It does mean a lot. There are five of us that were here at nine and we're still here now - Callum Gribbin, Ro-Shaun Williams, Tyrell Warren, Zak Dearnley and myself."

Whelan is a reliable influence in midfield and is determined to impress United's recently-appointed Under-23s coach Ricky Sbragia as he handles the step up to Premier League 2 football. He has featured in the last three games for Sbragia's men, starting against both Chelsea and Derby County.

"I'd say I'm nice and calm," he said. "A good passer of the ball. I keep things ticking over and get the team playing. I like getting the ball off the back four and looking to play forward passes to the more attacking players in good positions.

"As I said before, I want to stay injury free and play as many minutes as possible. I hope the team does well and it's a successful year for everyone. It's just about adapting really as it seems quicker against older, bigger lads but we all want to adapt as quickly as possible.

"The games are definitely more tactical. It's the next step towards first-team football. You have to think how you’re going to stop the opposition and how we’re going to beat the opposition. I look forward to playing in stadiums as that's what you want - playing in front of fans with atmosphere, just replicating how it would be if you were a first-team player. It’s all good experience."

Rach

Callum is a great player. Does what he's supposed to do very tidy player doesn't give the ball away.

kundalini

That didn't go very well. Played a few times for their reserves then let go at the beginning of April. Askey said: "He is probably more suited to under-23 football at the moment so he has gone to Bolton to play in their under-23s. So, that is to try to help him with his future career."

Not sure a club that doesn't pay its players, would be top of my list. United will be paying him right now but Bolton's financial situation may well be ugly next season, even if there is a change of ownership.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spo...ws/manchester-united-port-vale-bolton-2714647