Calvin Bassey - Ajax

TheReligion

Abusive
Always hard to judge players who ply their trade in Scotland but given the run in Europe Rangers have had what do we think about Bassey?

Can’t say I’ve seen lots of him but he seems to be getting a lot of praise this season and being linked with moves to the PL in the summer.

22 years old, Left back or centre half, Italian by birth but Nigerian international, developed by Leicester City. Only been at Rangers 2 years.

Any good?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he looks very good. Ready for a Championship playoff side or lower league PL team like VVD/McKenna before him. I reckon he will go onto have a very good career. If we have a few bob in the summer we should enquire.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s also caught my eye, but like you, I find it hard to apply any sort of accurate weighting given he plays in the SPL. He has looked good in Europe though, and an absolute tank.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Bassey was outstanding at centre back in the Europa League final.

He looks every bit as comfortable at left back too. He would be perfect at lcb and wouldn’t cost a fortune. Rudiger replacement!

UpWithRivers

He obviously looked class in the cup final. Havnt seen Rangers play all season but if he has been producing similar levels week in week out then he is as much a risk as Garner or Levitt or even Ajax players so why not

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He’s playing left back today and just put in an incredible cross. He really has it all this kid.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He fits the home grown quota too I believe.

Another magnificent cross there for Diallo.

Jordy888

He is an absolute beast. Reminds me of Evra with better crossing ability

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know nothing about him but since he is a CB/LB -

i wonder how this works

Bassey- Maguire - Varane - Timber

every time one fullback goes forward the other one stays creating a back 3 that shifts LCB or RCB depending on the attacker.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He should go to the top.

At the start of the season he didn’t really know how to play centre-half. But he has improved visibly every week. So far when he hasn’t anticipated danger, he’s been able to rely on his dynamism to recover. And his anticipation has sharpened as he has learnt the position. He’s extremely powerful, both defensively and in surging forward. Technically good as well, looks comfy at left back, and delivers consistently well in crossing or mid-range passing situations. Great attitude and enthusiasm too.

It’s his rate of improvement that really stands out. And that indicates he has bags of potential. Chances are he’ll have a drop off in performance at some point, but he’s otherwise just going one way. Would be a perfect replacement for Rudiger at Chelsea. I don’t see him moving to a lower PL team this summer, I think it would need to be a more attractive move to unsettle him right now.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Hold on a minute. He just done a Zidane move there.

This guy is ridiculous.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
A great young player.

Fantastic in Rangers European run this season played well in the final.

He can play cb and and lb, the type of player we should be looking at as he’s so versatile. Unfortunately he wont be linked with us as he plays in the Scottish league therefore will be deemed not good enough.

Swedish_Plumber

Worth a risk for someone in the PL. Looks like a really good player. Had a few nervy moments when a rangers surrendered their lead in the league to Celtic but had been fantastic the last 2/3 months.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Probably goes to Villa with Gerard said to be a big fan. Can see him getting picked up by a top 6 team after a year at a mid league team a bit like Van Dijk.

Jack-C20

Based on my 30 minutes of watching him he looks very good. I look forward to us being linked with him after he goes to a mid table premier league side and impresses.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This referee is the worst I have seen in a long time.

If this is the best Scotland has to offer then I might be quiet about the standard in England.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea

If this is the best Scotland has to offer then I might be quiet about the standard in England.
He is a referee who is disliked by clubs throughout the Scottish leagues.

He is absolutely dreadful.

Jack-C20

The only Scottish ref I recognise. Either because he referees all the big games or he’s memorably bad, or both I suppose.

Okey

It's so funny cos he's been atrocious for Nigeria. For those of us who follow him at Rangers too, it's been quite baffling processing the contrast. Personally I doubt he's cut out for top level, but looks like he can improve loads, so who knows?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Probably goes to Villa with Gerard said to be a big fan. Can see him getting picked up by a top 6 team after a year at a mid league team a bit like Van Dijk.
They signed Digne in January and Mings isn't getting dropped so I doubt they'll spend 20m on a bench option.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Can see Gerrard selling Targett to Newcastle and signing Bassey, especially as he can cover cb and lb.

Walters_19_MuFc

i wonder how this works

every time one fullback goes forward the other one stays creating a back 3 that shifts LCB or RCB depending on the attacker.
If ten Hag gets Timber (with the greatest respect I hope he doesn't, simply because I feel we really need a left footed centre back) then I hope we don't play him right back. He is a centre back who can play right back and not the other way around. He has only had 4 appearances for Ajax at right back this season and that was down to injuries. To me, it'd be like playing Lindelof there, who I feel ETH could potentially use there if any injuries occur.

I feel if we are to replace Wan-Bissaka, who looks as though he may be going, it needs to be with an attacking right back. I feel the players below could be good rotational players with Dalot and wouldn't cost too much.

Nordi Mukiele
Matty Cash
Denzel Dumfries
Jeremie Frimpong

As for Bassey, I've seen him a few times and like others, I've been impressed. Maybe someone we should be keeping our eye on, but as it stands, I wouldn't say left back is a massive priority compared to the other positions we need upgrading, more notably in midfield.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

i wonder how this works

Probably badly as you're putting a CB at RB.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
116 minutes and Bassey is charging at full pace to prevent a throw in whilst up 2-0.

I want him at Chelsea to replace Rudiger.

Blood Mage

Looks better at defending than attacking. I could see him as a CB under Ten Hag but not as a fullback.