Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Because a players position at youth level isn't necessarily is position at professional level? Otherwise Makelele would be a winger.

And it's only a suggestion.
It makes hell of a lot more sense playing players in positions they have actual experience in

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
What really is fantastic with him is his full name:

Cameron M'Bouba M'Briwa Abou Terrence Fuongo Borthwick-Jackson

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It makes hell of a lot more sense playing players in positions they have actual experience in
And who said that you can't try both? To find the best combination you need to try.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Because a players position at youth level isn't necessarily is position at professional level? Otherwise Makelele would be a winger.

And it's only a suggestion.
I was actually wanting to see Shaw as the LCB when we were playing 3 at the back last year. Keepin' it real Cruyff having your full backs playing that position.

dcullivanio

Keep saying this but of all the young players LVG has given a debut too, he's the one that stands out.

As soon as Shaw comes back, we should try and see how he does at CB. He looks far too good just to be a back to Shaw.
LCB for CBJ sounds like a plan when Shaw's back. He might be a bit skinny at the minute but he looks like he can handle himself okay. Get him in the gym a bit and he could be a real shout in that position. He's 6'0' so not the tallest for CB but not unreasonable as there have been plenty of good CB's that height over the years...

Red_Beans

LCB for CBJ sounds like a plan when Shaw's back. He might be a bit skinny at the minute but he looks like he can handle himself okay. Get him in the gym a bit and he could be a real shout in that position. He's 6'0' so not the tallest for CB but not unreasonable as there have been plenty of good CB's that height over the years...
Please can we stop the "he's too short for a CB" posts before they start?

m1y2

He's been a hidden gem for us. Love the guy.
he truly is, woder if he can add a bit of explosiveness to his game, he's very composed player but a bit of fight wouldnt do him a harm, saying this he showed he can use his body in terms of tussling with opponents

dcullivanio

Please can we stop the "he's too short for a CB" posts before they start?
That's not what I was suggesting btw. I was arguing for him. Steve Bruce was a quality 6ft CB and Henning Berg did pretty well for us at the same height. Puyol was only 5'10'' and was a monster.... Cannavaro at 5'9'' won the Ballon D'or. I'll always insist that size doesn't matter though...especially to the wife!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Cameron is fine where he is. It's amazing that he's nearly played 10 games this season. LVG deserves a lot of credit for giving certain lads a chance.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Hope Mike the Chef made the little lad a special birthday cake:D

prateik

I think Cameron is fine where he is. It's amazing that he's nearly played 10 games this season. LVG deserves a lot of credit for giving certain lads a chance.
He is playing because Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Young and Darmian cant play there.

Giving Van Gaal credit for playing CBJ is being very generous.

badkins

Ferguson would play Blind as LB and Carrick as CB, just to piss CBJ off and let him leave to Juventus.

Give credit where its due, van Gaal's record with giving chances to young defenders is amazing. Last year he took Blackett and McNair out of nowhere, now it's Cameron. Varela played couple of games as well. He trusts in youth.

NinjaFletch

He made the conscious effort to trim the squad to give youth players a chance.

I know he's not popular, but credit where credits due with BoJack.

prateik

Ferguson would play Blind as LB and Carrick as CB, just to piss CBJ off and let him leave to Juventus.

Give credit where its due, van Gaal's record with giving chances to young defenders is amazing. Last year he took Blackett and McNair out of nowhere, now it's Cameron. Varela played couple of games as well. He trusts in youth.
Carrick was injured. SO that makes CBJ 7th choice then.

badkins

Carrick was just an example, during injury crisis Ferguson would often play his experienced midfielders as CB - Keane, Carrick, Fletcher, so his younger centre backs (Smalling, Jones, Brown etc.) would be moved sideways to play let's say right back.
So looking at our squad now, Ferguson would definitely put Carrick/Bastian/Fellaini as CB, so Blind could play LB. Ferguson wasn't very keen on giving young Rafael a chance, when we all knew he was already our best right back, let alone playing some unproven, no-name player like CBJ out of nowhere.

Van Gaal is not afraid of using youngsters when needed, he even gave Tyler Blackett 12 games and Paddy McNair 18 games last season when we didn't have defenders fit for a while, while Ferguson was too afraid to play Paul Pogba when we had no midfield for like 5 years and gave him just 7 games in total. The difference is huge and credit to LVG.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

Also, Ferguson would win the league.

Trizy

Can't believe people are debating Bojack vs Shaw at LB.. Shaw was one of the best LBs in Europe before his injury :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will make a fantastic back up to Shaw, saves us having to buy another player which is great - he's proved he can be trusted if Shaw ever needs a rest or is in poor form also.

MDFC Manager

Coming up against a good right winger, I'd trust Shaw 100%. CBJ has some way to go in that regard

Wan

Carrick was just an example, during injury crisis Ferguson would often play his experienced midfielders as CB - Keane, Carrick, Fletcher, so his younger centre backs (Smalling, Jones, Brown etc.) would be moved sideways to play let's say right back.
So looking at our squad now, Ferguson would definitely put Carrick/Bastian/Fellaini as CB, so Blind could play LB. Ferguson wasn't very keen on giving young Rafael a chance, when we all knew he was already our best right back, let alone playing some unproven, no-name player like CBJ out of nowhere.

Van Gaal is not afraid of using youngsters when needed, he even gave Tyler Blackett 12 games and Paddy McNair 18 games last season when we didn't have defenders fit for a while, while Ferguson was too afraid to play Paul Pogba when we had no midfield for like 5 years and gave him just 7 games in total. The difference is huge and credit to LVG.
The same Rafael. Who played 28 games for us in his first season with us?

CG1010

You had a point but you destroyed it by mentioning Rafael. Fergie absolutely loved him!

legball

He could easily have played Carrick/Jones/McNair at CB, and Blind at LB, give the man credit.

prateik

He could easily have played Carrick/Jones/McNair at CB, and Blind at LB, give the man credit.
They were all injured. all of them.
CBJ might have earned his spot now, but he wasnt given a chance after our first and second choice got injured.
It took Shaw, Rojo, Young to get injured and even then Blind and Darmian were the preferred choice. Jones, McNair, Carrick have all been injured for large parts. Well.. McNair not for that long, but he was out for a good few weeks after rupturing his liver... which happened about the time CBJ and Tuanzebe were called up.

If I remember correctly, LVG even called Tuanzebe up to train with the squad before CBJ.

Van Gaal has given kids a chance. McNair and Blackett last season showed that.. But I really dont think he can get any credit for playing CBJ.
He had very little choice. There were plenty of injuries and whatever few players we had left were playing a lot at that time.
He pretty much had to look at the reserves for players and pick a left back from there.

CBJ got his chance and has made the most of it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
They were all injured. all of them.
CBJ might have earned his spot now, but he wasnt given a chance after our first and second choice got injured.
It took Shaw, Rojo, Young to get injured and even then Blind and Darmian were the preferred choice. Jones, McNair, Carrick have all been injured for large parts. Well.. McNair not for that long, but he was out for a good few weeks after rupturing his liver... which happened about the time CBJ and Tuanzebe were called up.

If I remember correctly, LVG even called Tuanzebe up to train with the squad before CBJ.

Van Gaal has given kids a chance. McNair and Blackett last season showed that.. But I really dont think he can get any credit for playing CBJ.
He had very little choice. There were plenty of injuries and whatever few players we had left were playing a lot at that time.
He pretty much had to look at the reserves for players and pick a left back from there.

CBJ got his chance and has made the most of it.
He's been played at times with McNair or Jones on the bench so he has been given a chance over both of them. I don't really know what you are expecting here. Did you want him to play over Rojo or Darmian or something? Hes only played 5 u21 matches, of course he wasn't going to play over fit first team players. Joyce tells van Gaal who should go up to first team training and Tuanzebe is rated higher within the club than CBJ, I don't really know what that has to do with anything anyway. He shouldn't get credit for playing CBJ because he called up a different youth player too? He had to look at the reserves because of injuries because that is how he sets up his teams. He could have easily signed a fullback in January or another CB last summer to push Blind wide but he'd rather keep a small squad so when there are injuries he gives the youth a chance.

I don't understand the criticism of they were only played because of injuries. Of course, that is how the vast majority of young players get their chance. No manager is just going to randomly play an 18 year old with little u21 experience over a fit Luke Shaw or Rojo other than in a possible meaningless match.

MajorTom

That's not what I was suggesting btw. I was arguing for him. Steve Bruce was a quality 6ft CB and Henning Berg did pretty well for us at the same height. Puyol was only 5'10'' and was a monster.... Cannavaro at 5'9'' won the Ballon D'or. I'll always insist that size doesn't matter though...especially to the wife!
:lol:

Nice post!

prateik

There is no criticism. none at all.
I just dont get the praise. Its not like he spotted talent and promoted a little know kid to the first team.
It was pretty much his last resort.
Again. no criticism. But this isnt a case of a manager spotting potential and giving youth a chance.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There is no criticism. none at all.
I just dont get the praise. Its not like he spotted talent and promoted a little know kid to the first team.
It was pretty much his last resort.
Again. no criticism. But this isnt a case of a manager spotting potential and giving youth a chance.
Its not a last resort if it is the plan from the start. He also had transfer windows to change it and give himself other options so it isn't a last resort imo. He's had options and he has decided to go with CBJ, how is that not spotting potential and giving it a chance? CBJ is a little known kid too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can't believe people are debating Bojack vs Shaw at LB.. Shaw was one of the best LBs in Europe before his injury :lol:
That's a bit like when people thought that Lindegaard was actually challenging De Gea and deserved to start ahead of him.

Silverman

He is doing brilliant but Shaw is definite first choice if he can get over his injury.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I like this kid. Dare I say his crosses are almost like a left footed Beckham?

Not saying he's as good, but the way he whips it round the defender without needing to take it past first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A real find. His delivery, whether it's passing or crossing, is quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.