Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Haha people not giving credit for LVG for playing him are just fools
He deserve some credit, but with the mass amount of injuries we have in defense, we have to ask what were the alternative option.

Nevertheless, Credit to Val Gaal, he has given some of our youth chances which he rarely did in his first season unless due to injuries. I do fear a little for Botwick Jackson long term future, in particular when shaw is back fit. A manager like Pochettino utilizes the fullback position efficiently at Spurs by rotating which is what we need to due when Shaw is back fit, if Jackson develops properly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He deserve some credit, but with the mass amount of injuries we have in defense, we have to ask what were the alternative option.

Nevertheless, Credit to Val Gaal, he has given some of our youth chances which he rarely did in his first season unless due to injuries. I do fear a little for Botwick Jackson long term future, in particular when shaw is back fit. A manager like Pochettino utilizes the fullback position efficiently at Spurs by rotating which is what we need to due when Shaw is back fit, if Jackson develops properly.
Yeh but LVG keeps a slim squad for that very reason... when there are injuries in any position he can then call on the best youth players to fill those roles rather than signing established bench warmers so in that respect he deserves ALL the credit. I know people dislike LVG ,but he needs credit when its due and I think his youth policy is nothing short of brilliant. The thing is if BoJack keeps playing like this then he wont be displaced from the team, his crossing as been excellent and his overall maturity is above his age group. Shaw will need to prove that he comes back as the same player but healthy competition is exactly how it should be.

Amadaeus

Yeh but LVG keeps a slim squad for that very reason... when there are injuries in any position he can then call on the best youth players to fill those roles rather than signing established bench warmers so in that respect he deserves ALL the credit. I know people dislike LVG ,but he needs credit when its due and I think his youth policy is nothing short of brilliant. The thing is if BoJack keeps playing like this then he wont be displaced from the team, his crossing as been excellent and his overall maturity is above his age group. Shaw will need to prove that he comes back as the same player but healthy competition is exactly how it should be.
I do not believe we have a slim squad. When all of our players are fit, it is hard to find vacant backup role for youth players. In regards to my previous post, I forgot to add Rojo, who before his injury was Van Gaal preferred left back over Jackson.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know you might not like LVG but refusing to give him credit for giving CBJ a chance is ridiculous.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I do not believe we have a slim squad. When all of our players are fit, it is hard to find vacant backup role for youth players. In regards to my previous post, I forgot to add Rojo, who before his injury was Van Gaal preferred left back over Jackson.
We could always have had 3 at the back. We have Mcnair & Carrick fit. We also have blind who can play LB but instead has been told to play CB whilst a young LB is bought jn.

Obviously injuries mean something otherwise CBJ wouldn't be playing against the likes of Chelsea but end of the day we do have a small squad representing a team with that dont have to deal with UCL. It looked like that from the start.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Haha people not giving credit for LVG for playing him are just fools
Agreed. You can count maybe on one hand the amount of managers in world football who would have given him a chance to make his name in the first team.

That said his treatment of someone like Perreira arguably cancels out his achievements in this regard. Also injury has played a big hand in CBJ getting a chance, whereas in midfield despite players not being good enough or out of form.. LVG has been too weak to choose a youngster.

Overall though he has been pretty brilliant on the youth front I would say. He has given people chances bar Andreas.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Agreed. You can count maybe on one hand the amount of managers in world football who would have given him a chance to make his name in the first team.

That said his treatment of someone like Perreira arguably cancels out his achievements in this regard. Also injury has played a big hand in CBJ getting a chance, whereas in midfield despite players not being good enough or out of form.. LVG has been too weak to choose a youngster.

Overall though he has been pretty brilliant on the youth front I would say. He has given people chances bar Andreas.
The thing with pereira is that Van gaal sometimes comes across players that he has no idea how to use but still regards them good enough indvidually. Them fitting in to a team is a different matter.

In that aspect Jamuzaj in the same as Pereira.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Funny how depending on the agenda that one has the whole 'LVG's brilliant with youth' stuff changes. If he throws Depay on 5 minutes against Chelsea (to some) he's a cnut because he's young, undercooked, there's no need to play him at that time, too much responsibility, etc. At the same time it's okay that he starts a 19 year old BJ against Chelsea even though he plays in a more responsible position, is even less experienced, etc.

How has LVG's great youth policy work out for Wilson when he was sitting on a bench for half a season doing feck all when Rooney was struggle to run nevermind kick the ball? How is it working out for Januzaj, Pereira? Where's Blackett from last season? Paddy McNair (who, remember, had some great reviews last season after certain games like against Everton iirc)? Keane was recalled from his loan over a month ago, how many games has he played despite firing in the u21s?

So yea, wondering how much his 'brilliant youth policy' is down to our injury crisis and pure luck and how much it really is his 'vision' regarding our youth players and eagerness to throw certain players into deep water.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has consciously gone with a smaller squad to give younger players chances. To not give him credit for one of them impressing is plain daft.

Sb_16

For most international fans he's a complete unknown. He looks a bit skinny for the first team too. So, kudos to LVG for putting his faith in him. He's done really well to become a part of why our left side is so potent.

Smores

It's easy to play youth when you have no other options and they do well. It's much harder to do so when you have other options and it's a conscious decision or they struggle at first.

He's done the former more often than not in my opinion. Once they've struggled or the senior player is fit they've disappeared out of the team.

I want to see more youngsters being rotated in and out of the team and bring given minutes here and there. Not this sink or swim because everyone else is crooked nonsense.

Kostur

海尔的老板
How's getting rid of Chicharito, RVP, Nani for example helped BJ's case though? The only LB he got rid of this year was Reece James who was 21 himself. How many chances Wilson got from getting rid of RVP, Falcao and Chicharito? That's why I can't somehow understand why you'd call somebody a fool if one questions LVG's 'youth policy'.

Mind you that even Ashley Young played LB this season before CBJ, I don't criticise that decision but you have to have it at the back of your head.

Amadaeus

We could always have had 3 at the back. We have Mcnair & Carrick fit. We also have blind who can play LB but instead has been told to play CB whilst a young LB is bought jn.
This mostly has to do with commen sense. Playing a player in their natural role is better for team balance than throwing players in roles they are not accustomed to. Having three in the back did not work before, so resorting back to that system will show poor managerial skills. Blind has been good in that Centerback role and has develop an understanding with Smalling, so once again when all things considered what we have now is the most reasonable option.

Obviously injuries mean something otherwise CBJ wouldn't be playing against the likes of Chelsea but end of the day we do have a small squad representing a team with that dont have to deal with UCL. It looked like that from the start.
We currently have a small squad because of injury, else when all players fit, we do not have a small squad. Perhaps only in he striking department, but most club have three strikers these days with consideration that Wilson was party of his original plan.

prath92

How's getting rid of Chicharito, RVP, Nani for example helped BJ's case though? The only LB he got rid of this year was Reece James who was 21 himself. How many chances Wilson got from getting rid of RVP, Falcao and Chicharito? That's why I can't somehow understand why you'd call somebody a fool if one questions LVG's 'youth policy'.

Mind you that even Ashley Young played LB this season before CBJ, I don't criticise that decision but you have to have it at the back of your head.
Wilson didn't impress enough in training. Even in the few matches he played(the Boro game) he was clearly too raw to play for Us. So we sent him on loan. CBJ took his chance. Not to mention players like martial and Memphis are themselves Young enough to be youth players.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Wilson didn't impress enough in training. Even in the few matches he played(the Boro game) he was clearly too raw to play for Us. So we sent him on loan. CBJ took his chance. Not to mention players like martial and Memphis are themselves Young enough to be youth players.
Wilson didn't impress enough in training but Rooney who couldn't score in a brothel impressed during games? Wilson featured in last two(?) games under Giggs and scored 2 goals iirc. CBJ impressed in training so hard that everybody else got injured and he got his chance? Problem with Wilson is that we didn't send him on loan for half a year, he was rotting on bench and in u21 matches. And no, we shouldn't really classify Memphis nor Martial as the youth guys because we've bought them and we're talking about intentional trimming of the squad so the youth can play, so buying them is contrary to what we're talking about here. It's obviously about our academy lads like CBJ.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Wilson just doesn't fit an LVG team. His hold-up play isn't great - he's better at running in behind and using his pace, which our slow tempo meant he couldn't do at all.

When was the last time one of our players was played through one on one with the goalkeeper centrally after running in behind? I really can't remember this ever happening.

khoazany

Wilson just doesn't fit an LVG team. His hold-up play isn't great - he's better at running in behind and using his pace, which our slow tempo meant he couldn't do at all.

When was the last time one of our players was played through one on one with the goalkeeper centrally after running in behind? I really can't remember this ever happening.
I actually surprise that only a few can see this.Literally anyone who have watched enough of Wilson should have realized this.This is not the excuse for Wilson - he clearly need to improve his hold-up play but there're better ways to use him than how he has been used.Can't really blame LVG for not trusting Wilson but the fact that he's a poor tactician attacking-wise affected players such as Wilson,Mata or Memphis.

Last edited:

m1y2

Can he play right back?
would eliminate one of his best skills - crossing, not sure if he can cross with his right as well as with his left.. but would defo try someone better than Darmian, Joe Riley or someone from the youth team, it can go any more wrong, darmian is clearly not manutd quality

dcullivanio

one of very few half decent performances today. Looks like he will continue to progress well given the opportunity. He looks very composed and his crossing ability is excellent

Devil may care

Thought he did pretty well again, he just has that extra bit of quality on the ball that you don't see in many young defenders.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
One of the few players who did ok today. His crossing is one of the few threats the team has, which is really promising.

Sylar

We're gonna burn him out at this rate...
Sounds familiar to what weve done with quite a few players, playing them more than they should. Did it with Januzaj, Martial, memphis, Lingard.

Sylar

Januzaj in his season under moyes, we just kept playing him when we became so reliant on him.

Memphis earlier this season, look back on after he scored those goals in the CL qualifiers. We played him nearly every minute to the point we were still playing him when he was burnt out.

Martial around December (well actually since he scored against Liverpool). You can tell at times he looks absolutely shagged.

Lingard less so, but after he came on against City, we werent rotating enough.

;)

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
For a youngster he has quite a good understanding of the game as well. At this age you'd expect him to rely solely on his natural abilities but he is shown more than just tackles and crosses.

Sylar

For a youngster he has quite a good understanding of the game as well. At this age you'd expect him to rely solely on his natural abilities but he is shown more than just tackles and crosses.
He really should have more assists to his name given the quality of his crosses and lack of people attacking them.

Classical Mechanic

Januzaj in his season under moyes, we just kept playing him when we became so reliant on him.

Memphis earlier this season, look back on after he scored those goals in the CL qualifiers. We played him nearly every minute to the point we were still playing him when he was burnt out.

Martial around December (well actually since he scored against Liverpool). You can tell at times he looks absolutely shagged.

Lingard less so, but after he came on against City, we werent rotating enough.

;)
Well I disagree.

Depay played 90 minutes only 4 times in his first 10 games for us. Since then he has been a bit part player.

Martial might be young but he is fully physically developed. I don't see why he needs resting. He isn't being rested now and has come back into form.

Lingard is 23, he should be able to play 50 games in a season.

Januzaj only started 15 games in the league for us under Moyes. Even if he played 15 in a row, are you saying that he couldn't manage that?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He really should have more assists to his name given the quality of his crosses and lack of people attacking them.
He is creating some decent chances.. Wonder how a Costa would have dealt with them, knowing he is always going to drop the ball between the goalkeeper and CBs..

Status
Not open for further replies.