Film Cameron's Titanic is the best film in the past 25 years

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As always, I'm the only one here who realises Knights Tale, Heath Ledger's finest work, was a work of art.

Spoony

The People's President
Titanic's amazingness aside.

Some quality films from the past 25 years.

In the Mood for Love.
Chunking Express
Ifernal Affairs
Lives of Others
Memento
Spirited Away
Princess Monoke
Ichi the Killer
Inglorious Basterds
Fargo
O Brother...
No Country for Old Men
Four Lions
Big Lebowski
Open Your Eyes
Dolls
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Audition
Zodiac
Cache
Being John Malkovich
My Sassy Girl
Goodbye, Lenin
The Skin I Live In
Mulholland Drive
A Prophet

And a few more I've missed out..

@hungrywing feel free to rip it apart.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Can't remember Alien 3 but always thought it was considered the worst of the trilogy. Might have to give it another watch - I've re-watched the other two fairly recently.
Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I've always preferred its grimy, depressing tone. Always seemed to fit more in line with the original in that sense.

Also, has narrative issues, depending on what version you watch as neither the cinema release/original cut nor the edited are without major head scratching moments.
The fact the audience are pushed to will-on the rapists ,child molesters and murderers (just a bunch of not very nice English people) as the protagonists against the beast is a odd direction for a major movie to take.

The film also had a notoriously troubled production, the making of the film is arguably more interesting than the film itself to some degree.

Still, it has some fantastic performances, some frankly outstanding shots (arguably the best in the series where the Xeno is involved. Not the stop motion parts though .Eek) and the score is excellent.

Recommend a re-watch.

Blood Mage

Happens. Draw up a list of your favourites...preferably from the last 25 years.
Top 10 in no particular order would be:

Fight Club
The Wolf of Wall Street
Moonlight
LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Prestige
Spirited Away
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
No Country for Old Men
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Parasite

Spoony

The People's President
Top 10 in no particular order would be:

Fight Club
The Wolf of Wall Street
Moonlight
LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Prestige
Spirited Away
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
No Country for Old Men
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Parasite
I should see Moonlight.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Cameron spent 3 years making this movie. When the film went over budget he handed his salary back to the studio.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I mean Lord of the Rings doesn't exist in this Titanic Universe!
If someone came up you and said "hey mate, want to watch a twelve hour extended trilogy of Titanic and then sit through all the behind the scenes extras?" you'd clobber them over the head with a brick and then cave your own head in just to be safe. But the Lord of the Rings trilogy? At least once every fecking year, man.

ColvaleGoa

If someone came up you and said "hey mate, want to watch a twelve hour extended trilogy of Titanic and then sit through all the behind the scenes extras?" you'd clobber them over the head with a brick and then cave your own head in just to be safe. But the Lord of the Rings trilogy? At least once every fecking year, man.
I couldn't have put it better....but OP would watch it I guess.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Cameron spent 3 years making this movie. When the film went over budget he handed his salary back to the studio.
That’s great but how much were they over budget? And how much was his salary?

Ah fuggetaboutit! I don’t care.
Haven’t seen the movie nor do I care too. Some cnut spoiled the ending for me so I just can’t....

OleBoiii

Haven’t seen the movie nor do I care too. Some cnut spoiled the ending for me so I just can’t....
What a goddamn savage! Not knowing that the ship is going to sink is 99% of the fun! Titanic is one of those obscure movies that are never referenced or parodied, so you were certainly in for a surprise.

That’s great but how much were they over budget? And how much was his salary?

Ah fuggetaboutit! I don’t care.
you would hope he got his fee back, or has a % of the profits - as it made an absolute fortune.

John_Jensen

Some of the technical aspects of the sinking are quite impressive, especially for the time.

But the corny romance & Billy Zane stinking the place out with his Lord Bastard performance are unwatchable.

AaronRedDevil

I do that LOTR trilogy twice a year

Drawfull

They both exist in the universe, it's just that one is slightly better than the other. I watch LOTR a couple of times a year. More this last few months, since the 4Ks came out.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
What a goddamn savage! Not knowing that the ship is going to sink is 99% of the fun! Titanic is one of those obscure movies that are never referenced or parodied, so you were certainly in for a surprise.
Tell me about it!
I blame my Da for making me watch the 1958 version when it came on the telly in the 70s. That, and I grew up in the last port of call so it was frequently in our local news.

you would hope he got his fee back, or has a % of the profits - as it made an absolute fortune.
I heard it broke all sorts of records alright so even if he didn't make his money there he would have caught up on other ventures.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hated it. I bought into all the hype and it was big ball of nothingness. Waste of time
Tends to be my experience too with recent movies. When I watched 3 BillBoards outside Ebbing Missouri I couldn't believe why it was rated so highly.