Film Cameron's Titanic is the best film in the past 25 years

Drawfull

When did we move from "best film of the last 25 years" to "Titanic is the best Titanic film released in 1997". You're moving the goalposts more than a football pitch built on quicksand.

The movie Titanic isn't even the best movie in the movie Titanic. That award goes to the fake reporter on the TV at the start that doesn't come across as a fake reporter. Why do movies and TV shows have that problem whenever they have a scene where there's a reporter or news anchor on screen? They always look so fake. You'd think that if one industry is going to be able to replicate TV broadcasting it would be a movie production company. Well, maybe the best would be a TV broadcasting company. Fox are the worst. They have a dedicated news channel yet all their entertainment shows have really fake news reports in them. I hate foxes too, bunch of bin shagging cnuts. Can't fecking hunt them anymore on my spiked quad bike either since the salad munchers got their way. fecking EU. Glad we dumped them.

Can't remember what the feck this thread is about anymore so I'll just finish off by saying I don't like the Glazers that much.
99 but that's based on Fergie, And then he had no axe to offset the nosebombs. 06 doesn't factor obv.

OleBoiii

Alphabetically off the top of my head:

28 Days Later
5 Centimeters Per Second
A Dirty Carnival
A Tale Of Two Sisters
Burning
Coraline
Django Unchained
Get Out
In The Mood For Love
Inglourious Basterds
Kikujiro
Lost in Translation
Millennium Actress
Nightcrawler
Office Space
Okuribito
Oldboy
Paprika
Parasite
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The LOTR trilogy
The Truman Show
The Wind Rises
Tokyo Godfathers
Unbreakable

Tarrou

there was more than enough room on that piece of wood for Di Caprio too

Sweet Square

The true genius of Cameron is making a boat film(Which everyone knew the ending before going into the cinema)and it beating Star Wars at the box office. The guy works on a scale that no one else is close to.

The film itself is a decent enough big summer blockbuster, the achievement of Titanic is more impressive than film.

The only thing worse than (the film) Titanic is going to Belfast and being bombarded with Tinanic BS/propaganda. “It was fine when it left Belfast”.

Charlie Foley

Good Will Hunting
LA Confidential
Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
The Lord of The Rings Trilogy
Gladiator
The Matrix
City of God
The Pianist
The Prestige
There Will be Blood
The Dark Knight
The Wolf of Wall Street

I don't know that "I can rewatch it all the time" is the metric for "the greatest movie." A movie can be great, and be such an emotional rollercoaster that you need a break in between watches. I can watch Ocean's 11 whenever it is on because it is easy viewing and I love the cast, but I'd never say it's the greatest movie ever.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not totally terrible popcorn melodrama with a big budget that I didn't mind at the cinema when it came out but I can't imagine bothering to watch it again.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Titanic and Avatar were Cameron's worst films.

Titanic gave us that fecking cringe song too, so it takes the worst film of all time just for that alone.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Titanic would be nowhere without that stupid Celine Dion song.

Also, looking purely at Best Picture winners since Titanic the following are definitely better:

- American Beauty
- Gladiator
- LOTR: Return of the King
- The Departed
- No Country for Old Men
- The Hurt Locker
- The King's Speech
- 12 Years a Slave

And I'm not even including the ones I haven't watched.

Titanic and Avatar were Cameron's worst films.

Titanic gave us that fecking cringe song too, so it takes the worst film of all time just for that alone.
I’m still perplexed by his multiple Avatar sequels. Clearly it was an incredibly successful film - but driven by the 3D fad at the time. I don’t see any demand for the sequels.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It wasn’t terrible and visual effects were fecking brilliant... It also gave us the “draw me like one of your French girls” meme, which is something, I guess? The ever-forgettable Avatar being the highest grossing movie of all-time irks me more.

The best movie of the last 25 years though? Not a chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m still perplexed by his multiple Avatar sequels. Clearly it was an incredibly successful film - but driven by the 3D fad at the time. I don’t see any demand for the sequels.
It’s so weird! The amount of time that they’ve waited before shooting them; the decision to shoot multiple movies (and a series, I believe?) at the same time without waiting on the reception of the first sequel...

Not to mention that no one really remembers anything specific about the movie (there are multiple articles on that — from The Guardian to Vice)!