Can Aaron Wan-Bissaka be an attacking right wingback in this formation?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
"He's played as a winger before" yeah for Crystal Palace u18s and he wasn't good enough for them in that position.

Most top players start off playing further up the pitch, doesn't mean they can do it at the highest level. Carragher was a forward and Gary Neville was a midfielder when they were kids.

He's one of the best defensive right backs in the legue but his crossing seems really, really bad.
I don't mind his crossing. I think it's okay. The problem is his passing in the final third either loses the ball or is to someone not themselves in the final third.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Anyone else find him a real enigma in possession? When he's under pressure / bringing the ball out of the air he can kill the ball / flick it past a defender whilst dropping the shoulder. On the other hand, give him time and space to cross and he leaves a lot to be desired - I don't see any improvement in this area from his first season tbh.

MOTM Saturday, that goal saving tackle against Son was a game changing moment. And he dominated that side of the pitch (albeit vs a poor Davies)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has much improvement to do to become a quality wing back. Thing is, he has an engine for the position but his general play and link up is mediocre. His greatest strength is his recovery speed and brilliant tackling which I'd argue are less relevant at wing back than they are at full back as you have three CBs behind you.

Ideally you want a wide midfielder in the poison someone who excels at linking up or is more of a natural going forward than defensively - like Alonso.

Red_toad

MOTM Saturday, that goal saving tackle against Son was a game changing moment. And he dominated that side of the pitch (albeit vs a poor Davies)
Sure it was ruled as offside anyways.

Laird is a far better option for wingback in my opinion. Would say it’s a shame he’s not available but Ole wouldn’t have used him regardless. Might not be as good with those last ditch tackles but is sure way more composed in attacking areas.

Oranges038

Considering how poor he is on the ball. I find it amazing he was ever a winger at all. I don't even know how he has got this far in the game considering how limited his game is. All he has is speed, strength and slide tackles. He genuinely looks like he is afraid when he sees the ball coming to him.

He's just not good enough or comfortable enough on the ball to be a long term solution at right back or wing back for Utd.
Watching Laird, the one thing you notice is that he is so much more comfortable with the ball and his technical abilitiy seems to be a lot better. I'd have him back and see if he can do it, because Dalot isn't good enough either.

Lentwood

Never going to be TAA or Reece James but nowhere near as bad on the ball as made out.

Again, our individuals suffer at times because they have their weaknesses exposed due to our apparent lack of a coherent plan.

I also feel AWB suffers because Greenwood plays very high and neither McTominay nor Fred really show for the ball effectively (or are particularly good when they get it). This often means his only option is to go backwards.

We get away with it on the left because Shaw is genuinely very good on the ball and his relationship with Rashford is better than AWBs with Greenwood

Swiss_Red89

My question would be, could we use Sancho as our RWB in the 3-5-2 formation vs lesser oposition?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Sure it was ruled as offside anyways.

Laird is a far better option for wingback in my opinion. Would say it’s a shame he’s not available but Ole wouldn’t have used him regardless. Might not be as good with those last ditch tackles but is sure way more composed in attacking areas.
Really? Looked onside to me watching the replay and I'm sure Spurs got a corner after. Either way was tight.

Agreed with Laird - if we are making a permanent switch to this formation then makes sense to bring him back and shift Dalot

Polar

AWB’s offensive play against Tottenham gave me hope. Still much work to be done, but will be cool watching him if he continue making progress.

IrishRedDevil

Yes!

Fair play to the lad.

His neck with on the chopping block and he stepped it up so much and improved his weaknesses.

davidmichael

I’ve said for a long time that I never saw how Dalot was supposed to be the better right back and that other than crossing I never saw how Dalot was a better attacking outlet as AWB is so unorthodox that the opposition struggle with him whilst he has an unreal engine, we look so much better when AWB plays.