Can Aaron Wan-Bissaka be an attacking right wingback in this formation?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was a winger prior to becoming a full-back.
Evra & De Gea were both strikers, it doesn't really mean much. He never played as one on the professional level.

Mcking

People that say he can’t get out of tight spots need to open their eyes and watch more
His touch is secure, and he retains the ball well under pressure, but his technique is very poor at this level. Puts him on the defensive almost every time he receives the ball. His passing could be so much better as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even ignoring the fact that we've seen opponents repeatedly target AWB's weakness on the ball, you could just go through the other starting fullbacks/wing-backs in the PL and ask how many are as bad or worse on the ball than him.

Not James or Chilwell/Alonso. Not TAA or Robertson. Not Cancelo or Walker. Not Coufal or Cresswell. Not Shaw. Not Tierney. Not Lamptey or Cucurella. Etc etc.

At which point the idea of depending more on him in this regard hardly seems wise.

Cathy Ferguson

He was very good yesterday and put in a great tackle but he also misplaced a few key passes. I was positively surprised but there is a reason why we tried to sign Trippier in the summer. I would be tempted to call back Laird in January.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
His touch is secure, and he retains the ball well under pressure, but his technique is very poor at this level. Puts him on the defensive almost every time he receives the ball. His passing could be so much better as well.
I’m not saying he can’t improve, I’m saying he’s better at getting out of tight spots than given credit for. That’s all

Trequarista10

I'd rather do a Conte and play a genuine attacker at wingback instead of a defender. But AWB has gotten better at attacking since he joined us and, sure, if he has less defending to do I'm sure he'll get more attacking done.
At Inter last season he used Matteo Darmian a fair bit, who is even more defensive than AWB. I think AWB would basically serve the same purpose. A defensive minded, back up wing back, used occasionally to provide balance or just bolster the defence in tough games.

Red Royal

Isn't Dalot supposed to be the attacking RB... I'd still rather AWB than Dalot who I have not seen anything positive about.

diarm

I'd rather do a Conte and play a genuine attacker at wingback instead of a defender.
I feel the same. With 3 defenders behind and Shaw on the other side, we can afford a luxury wingback on the right. I'd like to see what Lingard or Sancho could do from over there.

Nico87

I always thought it was a lack of intent, rather than lack of ability that was his issue going forward.

el3mel

I think he needs proper coaching. He's fast, can run and can get in good positions. He needs to improve his crossing and some things in his general play that I believe a proper coach can get more from him. He's definitely not as shit going forward as I was thinking in his first season, in some games he can be great. It's just inconsistent at the moment.

Mcking

At Inter last season he used Matteo Darmian a fair bit, who is even more defensive than AWB. I think AWB would basically serve the same purpose. A defensive minded, back up wing back, used occasionally to provide balance or just bolster the defence in tough games.
I think Conte could make it work with him as a regular. In a 352, got to get him to stay wider and more advanced than he usually is.

diarm

The best thing about using him in this position, is not having to worry about him switching off at the back post 3 or 4 times per game.

lex talionis

AWB’s attacking game is remarkably uninspired but his last ditch tackling, as we saw again v Son, is outstanding, possibly tops on the planet.

If we’re going to go with wingbacks I’d like to see more of Dalot.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think he’s better playing on the right side of the back 3.

His one on one defending and last ditch tackling is immense. Going forward not good.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He can fill in there for now but if we want to play with a right wing back we should probably sign a right wing back, rather than trying to convert a defensive fullback or a wide forward in to one.

RUCK4444

Yet Shaw has been our second best creator behind only Bruno and Wan-Bissaka... gets the ball & runs into free space often because teams consciously leave him unmarked because they prioritise to double-mark someone like Bruno/Rashford/Cavani etc. If he can't do it in those circumstances how on earth should a 23-years old player supposed to develop a completely new skillset that requires drastic improvement in his technical ability?
I mean he’s consistently beating men, getting to the touch line and putting in a mixed bag of crosses and cut backs, he’s already doing the hard bit.

He beats his man and links up very well, I’ve been posting that for a year now, people are only starting to notice he’s not as bad many make out here, he’s had rough spells for sure but for a good while he’s been improving, throughout last season for instance there was progression.

But the narrative is set now and people will tend to look for moments where he fails instead of any improvements.

Trequarista10

I think Conte could make it work with him as a regular. In a 352, got to get him to stay wider and more advanced than he usually is.
Possibly...but you'd expect some end product. A wing back for a top side playing 40-50 games a season you've got to expect a handful of goals and what 10 or so assists? It's not impossible for AWB but I wouldn't count on it. I mean Conte bought Hakimi who scores and assists for fun.

I don't think you can have a wing back on both flanks as attacking as Hakimi in most games, but you probably can't have wingbacks as defensive as AWB on both flanks too. I think Conte would likely give Telles and Dalot opportunities, mix it up based on the game, and eventually upgrade one or two wingback options in the squad.

MrBest

Stick him with Varane and Maguire as CBs, I'd prefer to see Dalot as RWB, we also have Laird on loan who can play there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I mean he’s consistently beating men, getting to the touch line and putting in a mixed bag of crosses and cut backs, he’s already doing the hard bit.

He beats his man and links up very well, I’ve been posting that for a year now, people are only starting to notice he’s not as bad many make out here, he’s had rough spells for sure but for a good while he’s been improving, throughout last season for instance there was progression.

But the narrative is set now and people will tend to look for moments where he fails instead of any improvements.
The hard bit is actually to visualise the pass, accurately assessing the opposition & your forwards movement and, well, executing it with precision and in the exact right moment. If getting to the touch line would've been the hard bit, every decent fullback would've been racking peak Beckham's numbers in assists.

He has improved attacking-wise during his time there by the way, there's no denying that. The issue is, if he continues to improve at the rate that he does, he would become a decent attacking wing-back by the age of 50. And I'm not saying that he won't be good enough for United by the way — if he would work on his weak points he can still become a very good/great fullback (he's already a pretty good one), just never a one that's actually possesses a significant attacking threat like Marcelo, Alves et cetera. (or even a more down-to-earth examples like Alba, Cancelo, Hakimi & even Shaw at his best).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not trying to WUM but you can see the clear difference between Chelsea's attack when Azpi plays RWB versus James - and Azpi is a far more technical and competent player going forward than AWB.

Don't think personally that AWB would be remotely acceptable as an attacking outlet as a wingback. For me he's far more suited to a RCB role.

Skills

Snitch
Hard to know at the moment. He's got some of the tools but it's hard to visualise him improving in other parts of his games.

MyDevil

He gets into good position to cross regularly but most of the time he just passed the ball back to others to delivery the cross. This frustrates me.

Is that the instruction from the stand? Or he just lack of confidence / skill?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Spurs were arguably the worst team we played this season, so not a good game to judge. He was good btw, he has improved a lot in the attack too.

Wingback should be more attackers than defenders, don't think AWB can play like that. Maybe he will be rotational player if we switch to 3 at the back under different manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Our fans can't always say we have "poor coaching" as a way to get the manager out quick and then not say it as a hindrance that has caused a generally new player in his position in a new club who has only ever received poor coaching?

Let's see how he does when he gets something better, aswell as some competition.

NK86

Don't think he is skillful enough to do so regularly against better defenses. Some of his first touches remind me of Fellaini in how the ball just runs away from him and so many times when he has space ahead of him and yet he somehow runs into a cul de sac.
He is decent most times going forward but in this formation we need someone like Shaw on the right side too.

Lemon Moon

The variety of opinions on AWB always surprises me. Some think he's a top player. Others think he's wank. There seem to be very few opinions in the middle.
I think most people's opinion of him are very similar. (At least the people I've spoke with on him)

He's good defensively but wank going forward.

MrBrightside1989

I'd rather do a Conte and play a genuine attacker at wingback instead of a defender. But AWB has gotten better at attacking since he joined us and, sure, if he has less defending to do I'm sure he'll get more attacking done.
should never have sold Dan James!

dal

I actually think he is good going forward when he’s allowed to, it’s obvious Shaw has more license in a 4 at the back.

Ole and his staff right now are looking to steady the ship which is the right decision, it needs to be 5 until we work our way out of this defensive crisis.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not sure he'll ever be an attacking wingback, but with improvements to his attacking positioning, passing and crossing he could be decently balanced.
He did have some dangerous moments with his runs and his dribbling against Spurs, though they were pretty poor defensively.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
"He's played as a winger before" yeah for Crystal Palace u18s and he wasn't good enough for them in that position.

Most top players start off playing further up the pitch, doesn't mean they can do it at the highest level. Carragher was a forward and Gary Neville was a midfielder when they were kids.

He's one of the best defensive right backs in the legue but his crossing seems really, really bad.

Mcking

Stick him with Varane and Maguire as CBs, I'd prefer to see Dalot as RWB, we also have Laird on loan who can play there.
His passing would be a problem. The CBs bring out the ball in the buildup, and AWB doesn't pass quickly enough, and struggles to make quick lateral and vertical passes.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
he can't barely improved his game as RB and now you want him as RWB?

What's with the caf's obession with playing players in a new position. Lindelof as DM, AWB as RWB, Lingard as RWB.

500M just to get players playing out of position